ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Mike Woodson, plz

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Re: Fire Mike Woodson, plz 

Post#101 » by kane2021 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Woodson is not getting fired. The GM basically said this is the team and he has to figure something new out. He has the year and I dont think its that serious yet. But people are watching and asking questions.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
Shorty Doo-Wop
Senior
And1: 14

Post#102 » by Shorty Doo-Wop » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Good old sky is falling mentality
Striders
Lead Assistant
And1: 252

Post#103 » by Striders » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:26 pm

HawthorneWingo wrote:Hey, remember me? How's life?

You guys remember when you acted like this dude was the antichrist and was the cause of every single one of our problems? Remember when this board was unreadable for months because of all the finger pointing and everyone joining subfactions on this board?

Can we not do that again? Please?
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom. ~George Smith Patton
socks fit OK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#104 » by socks fit OK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Crazy how four games ago we were 32-16 and talking about catching Miami for best record in the East...Now we're talking about firing Woodson :-?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,450

Post#105 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:28 pm

kane2021 wrote:Woodson is not getting fired. The GM basically said this is the team and he has to figure something new out. He has the year and I dont think its that serious yet. But people are watching and asking questions.

Doesn't he have two more years on his contract? I can't see us now firing him after one year.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,450

Post#106 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 pm

socks fit OK wrote:Crazy how four games ago we were 32-16 and talking about catching Miami for best record in the East...Now we're talking about firing Woodson :-?

I would go a little further back than the last 4 games. We're 14-15 in last 29, I believe and haven't been playing well for awhile.
Free Palestine
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#107 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:33 pm

The firing part is really ridiculous and knee jerk, but he does need to take a look at what he does.

He is trying to rekindle that hot start, deservedly so, but it wasn't sustainable.

Now he must adjust for the last stretch before the playoffs.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Nyk4lyfe
Sixth Man
And1: 565

Post#108 » by Nyk4lyfe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I love how just a few weeks ago everyone was hailing Woodson as the coach of the year, and now all of a sudden he's trash lol. Typical. Yes we can place some blame on Woodson but why aren't we blaming the players? It's not like a different coach would make jr, Kidd, shumps, and novaks shots fall. Right now this is not the same team we had at the start of the season. The ball movement is gone, the defensive intensity is gone, and the overall effort is just not there. Jr and melo are trying to take all the scoring load and are not doing it efficiently. Right now it's up to both of them to start moving the ball. It's not like Woodson told our guys to stop moving the ball and playing defense. I do believe he should make an adjustment to the starting lineup putting amare in there and shump at the 2. Jr needs to stay on the bench. Melo can't last the whole season playing pf for 40 min a game, not gonna happen
socks fit OK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#109 » by socks fit OK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

HawthorneWingo wrote:
kane2021 wrote:Woodson is not getting fired. The GM basically said this is the team and he has to figure something new out. He has the year and I dont think its that serious yet. But people are watching and asking questions.

Doesn't he have two more years on his contract? I can't see us now firing him after one year.

I can see it if we keep stumbling in the regular season and are knocked out in the first round...First round sweep would be especially bad..
bfpri
Junior
And1: 178

Post#110 » by bfpri » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Not Woodson's fault, he was overachieving the beginning of the season. The Knicks don't really have much talent. Its basically Melo, Chandler and scrubs.
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#111 » by Nostrand Ave » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:13 pm

bfpri wrote:Not Woodson's fault, he was overachieving the beginning of the season. The Knicks don't really have much talent. Its basically Melo, Chandler and scrubs.

Knicks dont have more talent than Pacers and Bulls?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,096

Post#112 » by moocow007 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:29 pm

NYKat wrote:It's cute to see some of the haters come out the woodwork, now that we're slumping, guys that ain't been around in months all of sudden have feel validated...smh...

Yeah thats the funniest thing about all this. Fans like that deserve teams that struggle.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,967

Post#113 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Woodson is not getting fired and doesn't deserve to be fired. Overall the team is about where it should be. They are in a slump right now and Woody could be doing a better job, but there are a lot of other issues with this team that fall on the shoulders of the player and roster flaws.

It really is so predictable that everyone will call for the coaches head first like that will solve everything. I do agree Woody needs to adjust. But its so easy to arm chair coach. Almost every teams fans call for there coaches head at some point. Knicks probably would have a worse record with most coaches.

Basically, this roster has a lot of flaws and switching coaches won't change them. If you want to blame someone, blame Dolan and Grunnie. If you hate iso ball, then blame them for building a team where our main offensive weapons are Melo, Felton and JR Smith.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#114 » by Butch718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:The firing part is really ridiculous and knee jerk, but he does need to take a look at what he does.

He is trying to rekindle that hot start, deservedly so, but it wasn't sustainable.

I'm guilty or wanting him gone. But that's only because I really don't have faith on him adjusting based off his past history with ATL. He is what he is. But at the same time I realize that this team has a lot of personnel issues as well. It's not just Woody that's killing the team here. So bringing in a new coach isn't going to necessarily fix all the problems unless we get younger, and unless we bring in smarter/mentally tougher players.

And I'm not sure how far some of you guys go back, but what's happening this season reminds me of what happened during the 95-96 season under Don Nelson. The team started off really hot and overachieved with an 18-6 record. All was great in NY. They were 30-16 by the all-star break with one of the best records in the East. But after the break the team had a record of 34-25. After that Don Nelson was fired because he lost control of the team. Fortunately, one of Riley's disciples(Van Gundy) was on the coaching staff. Which is something we really don't have on this current team. There are slight differences but this season seems to be a mirror image of that season. Overachieving veterans that started to look their age after a hot start. Stubborn coaches whose philosophies got worn out.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Butch718 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:The firing part is really ridiculous and knee jerk, but he does need to take a look at what he does.

I'm guilty or wanting him gone. But that's only because I really don't have faith on him adjusting based off his past history with ATL. He is what he is. But at the same time I realize that this team has a lot of personnel issues as well. It's not just Woody that's killing the team here. So bringing in a new coach isn't going to necessarily fix all the problems unless we get younger, and unless we bring in smarter/mentally tougher players.

And I'm not sure how far some of you guys go back, but what's happening this season reminds me of what happened during the 95-96 season under Don Nelson. The team started off really hot and overachieved with an 18-6 record. All was great in NY. They were 30-16 by the all-star break with one of the best records in the East. But after the break the team had a record of 34-25. After that Don Nelson was fired because he lost control of the team. Fortunately, one of Riley's disciples(Van Gundy) was on the coaching staff. Which is something we really don't have on this current team. There are slight differences but this season seems to be a mirror image of that season. Overachieving veterans that started to look their age after a hot start. Stubborn coaches whose philosophies got worn out.

It honestly reminds me of the 99 Knicks squad.

nellie took the ball away from the best player, Woodson wants it to stay there.

I dont see the comparison.

Butch718
RealGM

Post#116 » by Butch718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 pm

This team reminds me nothing of that 99 team. That 99 team just underachieved all around. They never really got off to a good start and just floundered all year. A lot of that had to do with the shortened season and compacted schedule. They didn't find their chemistry till the playoffs.

I'm just talking about the comparisons of what happened then, and what's happening now. Like I said there are slight differences. Donnie actually wanted Ewing gone so they could make room for Shaq during the off-season. He also wanted to run more and put the ball in Mason's hands as the Point SF. But what happened to that team and this team is similar IMO. Both teams started off 18-6. Both teams had similar records right around the all-star break. And this team seems to be trending on a downwards spiral like that team did after the break.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 pm

the 99 team underachieved?

Butch718
RealGM

Post#118 » by Butch718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:22 pm

During the regular season. Like I said, they didn't find their chemistry till the playoffs started.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Sounds like this squad to me.

Butch718
RealGM

Post#120 » by Butch718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Sounds like this squad to me.

Not really. This squad overachieved to start the season. That 99 team underachieved during the regular season and didn't find their footing until the playoffs. Whether this team gets it together for the postseason remains to be seen. I would love to be wrong about Woodson if that happens to be the case.

Return to New York Knicks