Gorgui Dieng

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Gorgui Dieng 

Post#1 » by ROballer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:39 pm

How about the sophomore from Louisville?Can he get into the first round next year(assuming he declares,he would be wise to do so,he'll be 22 in one month)?

Dieng is a C from Senegal(6'11/235 lbs) who averages right now 10.3 ppg 9.5 rpg 2.7 bpg 60% FG in 29 MPG
Lousiville is playing very well,they are 10-0 right now and Dieng has a big role in their success
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Gorgui Dieng 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:12 pm

maybe 2013. very good length and i like the way he runs the floor.
where do you get those dimensions? because he doesnt look 6'11 235.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ROballer
General Manager

Post#3 » by ROballer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:19 pm

http://www.uoflsports.com/sports/m-bask ... gui00.html

His ESPN profile has him the same

NBADraft.net has him at 6'10/220
Draftexpress 6'10/210

I'll guess we'll find out at the Combine when he declares

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:28 pm

if he's 6'11 235, he can play C at the next level which would make him a more intriguing prospect.
i think he's a better prospect than festus ezeli and some people still have him as a 1st rounder for some reason.
dieng is the better athlete b/t the 2. he runs the floor faster and has better spring.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#5 » by teamjosh04 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 am

Most likely he will turn out to be a SLIGHTLY better prospect than Hamady N'Diaye.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#6 » by ManualRam » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:28 am

last 5 games
15/13 3blks with 7 o-boards a game.
he's like the anti perry jones. jk, but he is long (7'4 wingspan), athletic and plays with great energy.
if those dimensions are correct (the 6'11 235), he should at least test the waters this yr since he's kinda old for a sophomore.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ROballer
General Manager

Post#7 » by ROballer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Yup..he was plagued by foul trouble at the start of the season but he really improved in that area,39 MPG in the last 3 games

Right now I can't find him in any mock drafts at all(even in the second round) but if his play continue to be solid I expect his stock to rise quite a bit

The Cardinals play Georgetown and Kentucky next,let's see how Gorgui does against top competition(A.Davis in particular)

I really like his attitude too,he's a team player,puts the team first,individual performances second

http://www.courier-journal.com/VideoNet ... eng-speaks

UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,877

Post#8 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm pretty wary of these guys that are pretty old for their class. He is going to be 22 in a few weeks despite his spohmore status. Historically these are the kind of players that bust in the NBA as there is pretty strong evidence that older players are able to take advantage of younder guys at the college level, but that the advantage isn't usually a true advantage in talent.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#9 » by ROballer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:49 pm

True but the guy is not american,so it's somewhat explicable that he started college late
Dikembe Mutombo was 22 in his freshman year,Tyler Hansbrough played until he was almost 24 and these guys moved up in the NBA and had success

I'm not saying Gorgui has the kind of talent as those 2 mentioned but I'm not writing him off just because he is kinda old for a sophomore.I think there is a spot for him in the NBA,just for his defensive and rebounding instincts alone

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:52 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:I'm pretty wary of these guys that are pretty old for their class. He is going to be 22 in a few weeks despite his spohmore status. Historically these are the kind of players that bust in the NBA as there is pretty strong evidence that older players are able to take advantage of younder guys at the college level, but that the advantage isn't usually a true advantage in talent.

i'd understand that argument in the case of more physically mature players who are dominating their competition with physical strength, savvy and skill. i just made my comment about his age earlier because i dont think he should wait til he's a senior.
dieng's not a physical beast nor is he super skilled. he still looks pretty light for a C and his skills are limited. he's simply outworking the opposition. when you have a long, athletic player who plays as hard as he does, is well coached and understands his limitations, good things happen.
imo, he should at least be on 2013 mocks right now.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Jheri Curl
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#11 » by Jheri Curl » Fri Jan 6, 2012 5:49 pm

I was questioning whether or not he has NBA ability myself. Good shotblocker and rebounder, very active. I think he would have to gain weight to really excel in the league, but I think he would make a good bench big with more polish.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#12 » by ManualRam » Fri Jan 6, 2012 6:16 pm

Jheri Curl wrote:I was questioning whether or not he has NBA ability myself. Good shotblocker and rebounder, very active. I think he would have to gain weight to really excel in the league, but I think he would make a good bench big with more polish.

if his listed weight is correct, that means he's put on roughly 45 lbs since HS.
he's got these sloped shoulders, so it doesnt look like he'll be able to put on much more weight. maybe he can be a taj gibson type defensive minded energy player off the bench.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 928

Post#13 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Jan 8, 2012 8:19 pm

I think Dieng is an interesting prospect. He will be a project NBA big man and really should play 4 years of college ball. As a worst case scenario, he's probably Ekpe Udoh...except Dieng is a 2nd rounder, not a lotto pick. Best case scenario...who knows. He could be Mutombo, he could be DeAndre Jordan, or he could be Hasheem Thabeet. The team he goes to will ultimately determine if he can make it in the league.

His numbers are misleading. He's shown he can block shots against anyone but he's been far less effective on the glass against the better college teams. He's gotten a lot of boards against the small and mid-major schools but he has yet to reach double digit rebounds in a Big East game this year. I think he needs to show he can consistently be a double digit rebounder in college against other NBA prospects for him to have a chance of playing in the NBA. He's still getting into foul trouble too much too. He's fouled out twice in the last 4 games and had 4 fouls in another game against Kentucky. That's only going to get worse in the NBA.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
servaisyema
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#14 » by servaisyema » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Yup..he was plagued by foul trouble at the start of the season but he really improved in that area,39 MPG in the last 3 games Image
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 8, 2012 3:06 pm

I'd compare him to Ibaka - but without the uber-explosive leaping ability. I wouldn't compare him to Udoh. Unlike Udoh, he seems to understand his offensive limitations. Hopefully, he stays in school another year and develops physically and skills-wise. He could have a bright future.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#16 » by jman3134 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Why Dieng is such an interesting prospect is that he makes an impact with virtually no semblance of an offensive game. Aside from sealing the post man down low, he only really has a jump hook and dunk in his repertoire. Yet, you notice him on the floor because he really disrupts defensively and is an absolute beast on the glass. In the NBA, he can develop his post game and footwork. Also, it is interesting to note that he does not have any perimeter shot in his arsenal yet. This can be developed with him. If he gets this, he's easily a 15 and 10 guy in college and a surefire first round pick. If you know what you are looking at, you can see that this guy has excellent potential defensively even at the next level. He's hesitant at this point because he has no confidence in his offensive game. But, with the right training and skills coaches, this guy could make a rotation down the road.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#17 » by ROballer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 pm

ManualRam wrote:maybe 2013. very good length and i like the way he runs the floor.

bump

Good call ManualRam.....I think he has a pretty decent chance of making the 1st round if he declares

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'd compare him to Ibaka - but without the uber-explosive leaping ability. I wouldn't compare him to Udoh. Unlike Udoh, he seems to understand his offensive limitations. Hopefully, he stays in school another year and develops physically and skills-wise. He could have a bright future.

Bad comparison. :D Physically, skill-wise, and attitude-wise, he reminds me of Emeka Okafor.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
A-Zero
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#19 » by A-Zero » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:28 am

I think he looks pretty decent, with a good showing in the tournament he would slip into the early 20's in the first round of the draft
Maybe it's my fault, maybe I destroyed the gameā€¦ or maybe, you're just making excuses. -Michael Jordan
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 am

For a guy with a non-offense reputation, I'm actually impressed by his potential in that area. He has a 20 footer which would be huge for him at C and still worth a lot at PF, can do a few things in the post, is a great passer and his excellent feel for the game makes everything he does look smooth offensively IMO. I like his offensive potential more than Noel's for sure, I'd rather have a 23 year old who's skill game is showing a pulse than a 19 year old who isn't, I don't think Dieng is the type of 23 yr old who's development is done either

Return to NBA Draft