ImageImageImage

Celtics eyeing Italian forward Gigi Datome for next season

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Re: Celtics eyeing Italian forward Gigi Datome for next seas 

Post#61 » by BfB » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Listen, Pierce isn't going to be here next year and Boston has plenty of minutes for 3 players to cover SG/SF. Green/Pierce played both over the 2nd half of the season and I believe that's Boston's intention this year - more "big" wing combos - which Gigi would work well in...as would Shabazz.

Say goodnight folks. Pierce/KG aren't coming back. There's no deal to add another 1st/2nd option scorer to the current core and that is the ONLY way keeping the two works in any version of reality. The team is working to figure out the best way to re-tool with a young core who is still competitive - ala Philly, Mil, Hou...they're not looking to go to lotto-land, they're simply figuring out how to get a solid base of assets to valuate in a playoff environment, if possible.

If Ainge can get the right return on his pieces, there'll be a fun, non-championhsip-but-growing team that will keep the Celtics a popular market for players and increase the value of the individual talents for larger trade scenarios.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#62 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Any gossip about what kind of return they're hoping for, or whether Rondo's on the way out, too?
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#63 » by CaptainFanchini » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Wait to see the one-handed slam of few minutes ago in game 2 of the italian Finals (Rome-Siena 1-1) .......
Basketball is my religion
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#64 » by ermocrate » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 pm

CaptainFanchini wrote:Wait to see the one-handed slam of few minutes ago in game 2 of the italian Finals (Rome-Siena 1-1) .......

!!!
"Negativity in this town sucks"
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#65 » by CaptainFanchini » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-EaqnBmkQ[/youtube]

When he's in open floor, he's almost unstoppable ...
Basketball is my religion
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,024

Post#66 » by tfmiii » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08 am

CaptainFanchini wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-EaqnBmkQ[/youtube]

When he's in open floor, he's almost unstoppable ...

8-)
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#67 » by bargs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

yesterday an italian basketball analyst confirmed Gigi datome will end up in the nba, boston should be a suitable candidate
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#68 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:18 am

bargs wrote:yesterday an italian basketball analyst confirmed Gigi datome will end up in the nba, boston should be a suitable candidate

Did he say so as in it is already planned for this year--or just that it made sense sometime in the future?
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#69 » by 15th overall » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:24 am

bargs wrote:yesterday an italian basketball analyst confirmed Gigi datome will end up in the nba, boston should be a suitable candidate

Thanks for the update. Could you hook us up with a link, if possible, so we can sic our resident Italian on it?
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
bargs
Starter

Post#70 » by bargs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am

cloverleaf wrote:

Did he say so as in it is already planned for this year--or just that it made sense sometime in the future?

yea, sorry, it's almost certain Datome will land in the nba the upcoming season. Flavio tranquillo (the tv analyst from sky sport italia) did not specify the nba team tough. he gave only a few tidbits, saying the team interested in datome has a blue jersey and a spanish player (..grizzlies!??!), but at the same time he confirmed also the rumors coming from boston.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#71 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:20 pm

bargs wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

yea, sorry, it's almost certain Datome will land in the nba the upcoming season. Flavio tranquillo (the tv analyst from sky sport italia) did not specify the nba team tough. he gave only a few tidbits, saying the team interested in datome has a blue jersey and a spanish player (..grizzlies!??!), but at the same time he confirmed also the rumors coming from boston.

Interesting that the C's aren't alone in the chase. I could see that Memphis would offer both a chance to win and a chance to play, whereas the C's really only can provide the latter--and probably less of it.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#72 » by ermocrate » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:29 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
bargs wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Interesting that the C's aren't alone in the chase. I could see that Memphis would offer both a chance to win and a chance to play, whereas the C's really only can provide the latter--and probably less of it.

I don't think he has so much interest in winning, I think he is more about picking the best option to develop...
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#73 » by 31to6 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am

I'm not seeing it in this guy.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
secky017
Junior
And1: 53

Post#74 » by secky017 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 8:04 am

Gigi Datome.. That name and the hair, what's there to doubt? Get him, Danny! Then trade for Noah and we'd have the best (hair) frontcourt in the league when you play Noah-Olynyk-Gigi!
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#75 » by Justin33 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 10:34 am

31to6 wrote:I'm not seeing it in this guy.

For the minimum what exactly do you want
bargs
Starter

Post#76 » by bargs » Tue Jul 2, 2013 10:44 am

Justin33 wrote:

kobe :lol:
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#77 » by 31to6 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 11:50 am

Justin33 wrote:

who said anything about the minimum?

FWIW I'd be willing to wager our interest in this guy dates to when we were potentially reloading this summer, not rebuilding with 20 guys already under contract.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#78 » by ermocrate » Tue Jul 2, 2013 11:54 am

31to6 wrote:
Justin33 wrote:

FWIW I'd be willing to wager our interest in this guy dates to when we were potentially reloading this summer, not rebuilding with 20 guys already under contract.

I agree with you, there's no ponit in bringing in one of the best player in market when you're rebuilding...
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#79 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jul 2, 2013 12:22 pm

secky017 wrote:Gigi Datome.. That name and the hair, what's there to doubt? Get him, Danny! Then trade for Noah and we'd have the best (hair) frontcourt in the league when you play Noah-Olynyk-Gigi!

I think you can do better than Noah for a lot less money. I want to see Olynyk-Gigi-Noguiera which set the standard for front court names and hair.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#80 » by Justin33 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 9:05 pm

31to6 wrote:
Justin33 wrote:

http://www.notizie.it/basket-datome-sba ... n-celtics/

Datome will sign a 3yrs deal worth $490.180(per year) with the frachise from Massachusets. The #13 from Rome it's a rookie and a freeagent by NBA rules so he can sign for any team but is not conditioned from salary limitations imposed from the NBA's years of experience. The Celtics already have 73mill of salaries so they can only sign minimum contracts. This year Datome earned 250.000 euros (330.000$) after tax. Basically he is goin to earn the same salary but in the NBA, unless the Celtics don't use a salary exception on him, unlikely. The "Azzurro" will renounce to the last year of his deal with Rome, worth 500.000 after tax, betting on himself and in a long career in USA.

Return to Boston Celtics