ImageImageImageImageImage

Who is Eric Bledsoe? (Long Meet and Greet!)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Who is Eric Bledsoe? (Long Meet and Greet!) 

Post#1 » by kmatrixg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:09 am

In light of the new news and possible acquisition of Eric Bledsoe from Los Angeles, I've been reading a lot of differing opinions on this athletic golden boy, so I've decided to put together an in-depth mock up on who this guy really is. I've been a huge supporter of Bledsoe since last year's playoff run where he looked amazing off the bench, so I'm a bit biased (yet want everyone to understand the type of player he actually is)

First of all, if John Wall is one of the most athletic guards in the league, then Bledsoe is also one of the most athletic guards in the league - but this was a given among most circles (supporters and detractors alike). To date, these two players are most alike in both talent comparison as well as physical tools that I've come across.

Comparative Combine Measurements:

Height (w/ shoes):
Wall 6'4"
Bledsoe 6'1"

Wingspan:
Wall 6'9"
Bledsoe 6'7"

Vertical Leap:
Wall 39"
Bledsoe 40"

Standing Reach:
Wall 8'5"
Bledsoe 8'2"

Unfortunately, this is where the recorded comparisons stop as Wall didn't participate in a bench press (Bledsoe benched 9 reps) and Bledsoe didn't participate in any agility drills.

Here's where it gets interesting though. In terms of talent, both players have an edge in at least one measurable category, however, most of their talents are extremely similar when they're boiled down.

I know what you're thinking at this point - "Is he going to suggest we could be landing our own John Wall? Is he crazy?" To keep it simple, yes, I am suggesting that Bledsoe is a Wall-caliber PG. Wall benefited from being thrown to the wolves from day 1, while Bledsoe has had the luxury of playing behind one of the best pure PG's of the past 30 years.

Without further adieu, here's what I have:

Shooting

Bledsoe has an inaccurate label as being a bad shooter, inconsistent shooter - whatever you want to call it. This past season, Bledsoe posted career highs across the board in terms of shooting accuracy, posting 44.5% from the field (45.3 2pt%), 39.7% from beyond the arc and 79.1% from the charity stripe. He posted a True Shooting % of 51.3% (which everyone should be familiar with - but if not - is a measure of accuracy taking into account 2 point field goals, 3 point field goals and free throws collectively). The NBA average TS% is 53.5.

By comparison, Wall shot 44.1% FG, 26.7% 3P and 80.4% FT. His TS% was 52.1%. Not too much difference.

Per 36 minutes, Bledsoe shot 0.8 more 3 point FG's per game, making 0.7/1.8 from beyond the arc (compared to 0.3/1.0 from Wall)

Is Bledsoe the better shooter? This past season would suggest so, however with his horribly spotty history (66.7% FT in college and sub-.750 through his first 2 years in the league) it's tough to make that call with confidence. But, given his growth through almost every other category outside of turnovers this past season, it's easy to assume this might be the beginning of a new trend.

Defense

This is where Bledsoe shines bright, even more so than that of the product of Wall's incredible length. If there's been one constant throughout his short career, it's been on the defensive side of the ball; Bledsoe has averaged at least 1.8 steals per 36 minutes and the past two seasons, has averaged 1.1 and 1.3 blocks per 36 respectively, along with 2.4 and 2.5 steals per 36. Let's not forget, he's 6'1"!

Bledsoe's ability to clog passing lanes and chase down the fast break is incredible and would be an asset in itself. But here we have a two way player who's only gotten better on offense since he was drafted.

By comparison, in his first 3 seasons, Wall has posted (per 36 minutes) 1.7, 1.4 and 1.5 steals per game, along with .5, .9 and .8 blocks per game, numbers which are nothing to scoff at for a PG.

Playmaking

The biggest question mark in Bledsoe's game is his ability to play PG consistently. While he averages over 3 turnovers per 36, he was playing as an energy spark plug off the bench this past year for the Clippers, and by comparison, John Wall averaged .3 more turnovers per 36 minutes than our man Eric. It remains to be seen what Bledsoe can do in a system designed to fit his strengths instead of attempting to plug him into a system designed for Chris Paul.

I'd be more than happy to take a little headache for a few seasons while he hones his playmaking skills if it means we get his ability to put the ball into the hoop from anywhere on the floor as well as his pesky defensive capabilities.

Bottom Line: Can we acquire a player of John Wall's caliber with Bledsoe? I believe we most definitely can. Is he worth potentially trading DeMar? In my eyes, yes. You can't pass up this combination of athleticism, defense and offensive potential. His speed, strength and confidence are rare form and he's exactly the type of PG that the league is evolving to prefer. Say what you want (if you're a detractor) but I see Bledsoe as a franchise PG within the next 2-3 seasons. Given that we'd need to lock him up long term in order for a deal to go through - sign m eup!

Source: BBR Player Comparison Finder
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 01&y2=2013
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Re: Who is Eric Bledsoe? (Long Meet and Greet!) 

Post#2 » by God Squad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:23 am

Great post. I'm a little surprised no one has replied yet. Anyways I agree. I'm one of the few that actually like Bledsoe and see the value in him. I'd like the trade. But I'd also need to know who will be coming out way.
lacokanostra
Senior
And1: 357

Post#3 » by lacokanostra » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:24 am

A wonderful symposium outlining two great players. Superb post.
CoinTossRoss
Senior
And1: 115

Post#4 » by CoinTossRoss » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:26 am

Great post. I really hope we can pick up Bledsoe. The raw tools alone that he has are definitely intriguing.
Tank for Wiggins

Credit to TZ for the sig

blueNorange wrote:imagine k-mart having sex, how crazy he gets
kmatrixg
Veteran
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#5 » by kmatrixg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:27 am

God Squad wrote:Great post. I'm a little surprised no one has replied yet. Anyways I agree. I'm one of the few that actually like Bledsoe and see the value in him. I'd like the trade. But I'd also need to know who will be coming out way.

As I was writing this up, Marc Stein updated his story with a few important details:

The Clippers prefer Bargnani, and Caron Butler would be sent out with Bledsoe in any deal, making a couple interesting dilemmas, most notably so, the potential relationship between Valanciunas and Butler after that strange "final seconds" play back in February. :lol:
lacokanostra
Senior

Post#6 » by lacokanostra » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:29 am

kmatrixg wrote:
God Squad wrote:Great post. I'm a little surprised no one has replied yet. Anyways I agree. I'm one of the few that actually like Bledsoe and see the value in him. I'd like the trade. But I'd also need to know who will be coming out way.

As I was writing this up, Marc Stein updated his story with a few important details:

The Clippers prefer Bargnani, and Caron Butler would be sent out with Bledsoe in any deal, making a couple interesting dilemmas, most notably so, the potential relationship between Valanciunas and Butler after that strange "final seconds" play back in February. :lol:

Valanciunas has been through it all. First Rudy Gay, now Caron Butler. It all makes sense! Like how KG went off in Brooklyn last year now he was just traded to them!
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#7 » by Dalek » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:32 am

I am not so secure in Bledsoe's numbers because as a starter LA lost quite a few games when Paul went down. He hasn't shown me he can play big minutes, but I don't want to dump on the guy. I did want him more than Ed Davis back in the day. Eric Bledsoe's best asset is his defence.

I think he has a very Lebron-esque chase down block. One of the best in the league. He knows how to apply ball pressure without fouling. He appears to be a worker because he improved everyone of his numbers this year witha PER of 17.5 compared to 11 the previous year.

There is no doubt he is worth the gamble. He played an important role with a contender which shows he hs the mentality to succeed. He was the youngest guy playing on an all veteran team which shows his maturity.
lacokanostra
Senior

Post#8 » by lacokanostra » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:37 am

Dalek wrote:I am not so secure in Bledsoe's numbers because as a starter LA lost quite a few games when Paul went down. He hasn't shown me he can play big minutes, but I don't want to dump on the guy. I did want him more than Ed Davis back in the day. Eric Bledsoe's best asset is his defence.

I think he has a very Lebron-esque chase down block. One of the best in the league. He knows how to apply ball pressure without fouling. He appears to be a worker because he improved everyone of his numbers this year witha PER of 17.5 compared to 11 the previous year.

There is no doubt he is worth the gamble. He played an important role with a contender which shows he hs the mentality to succeed. He was the youngest guy playing on an all veteran team which shows his maturity.

No one is saying Bledsoe would be the starting PG. Having Lowry/Bledsoe could be very effective to be buckets in transition. I think he is worth the gamble. The Raptors really lack players like Bledsoe where there strongest asset is their defense and athleticism.
kmatrixg
Veteran

Post#9 » by kmatrixg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:39 am

Dalek wrote:I am not so secure in Bledsoe's numbers because as a starter LA lost quite a few games when Paul went down. He hasn't shown me he can play big minutes, but I don't want to dump on the guy. I did want him more than Ed Davis back in the day. Eric Bledsoe's best asset is his defence.

I agree with your post - he's a gamble, but one worth taking 9 times out of 10. The team he ended up starting for was designed to run a completely different style of play than would fit his strengths as I stated in the original post, so I'd love to see how we could fit him into an offense that showcases his abilities rather than attempting to have him do things he simply can't do, such as run a seamless offense based almost entirely on getting the ball to players via cuts and screens.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#10 » by Anatomize » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:43 am

Bledsoe is like a midgit LeBron in a lot of ways; from the way he takes contact and finishes, his superb athleticism, and he has an improving jumpshot. He's not a premier playmaker for others by any means, but he has the potential to be one of the best two-way guards in the league. Another skill that can't be undermined is the fact that he is currently the best shot blocking PG.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#11 » by Anatomize » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:52 am

Ah I see someone has already alluded to the LeBron comparison..
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#12 » by Dalek » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:54 am

kmatrixg wrote:

I agree with your post - he's a gamble, but one worth taking 9 times out of 10. The team he ended up starting for was designed to run a completely different style of play than would fit his strengths as I stated in the original post, so I'd love to see how we could fit him into an offense that showcases his abilities rather than attempting to have him do things he simply can't do, such as run a seamless offense based almost entirely on getting the ball to players via cuts and screens.

Yup, he is still pretty young and a crazy athlete, who team's have to game plan against. He played well with Crawford, so having a good shotmaker/ballhandler beside him is a good suggestion.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#13 » by LiSTWithLani » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:59 am

I too am a HUGE Bledsoe fan, particularly because I believe that defense leading to offense off of a steal is the way that a GM should ideally build a team. He is the head of a defense and nobody is getting by him. Here's hoping that he is a Raptor shortly!
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#14 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:04 am

kmatrixg wrote:

When I said 2 foot vertical (pertaining to your Sig) I meant him jumping off his 2 feet....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
DeadHorse
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#15 » by DeadHorse » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:17 am

The 3Pt% is being taken way out of proportion... He took about 1 3-pointer a game. That's really not a good volume to judge if he's a great shooter or not.
Also, I doubt he'd come here to play backup PG
HireTZ (And Bruno).
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#16 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 am

kmatrixg wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to include Jordon's awful contract rather than Butler for clippers?
Credits to Jstock12
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#17 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:35 am

Acquire Bledsoe and trade him to Memphis for Davis. Master plan. Lol
Credits to Jstock12
BO55
Junior
And1: 335

Post#18 » by BO55 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:42 am

Cool post.
I hope we actually get him and hopefully we ain't setting our team up for disappointment.
In all honesty, I see that most people want DeRozan gone for him but I rather have DeRozan. If it cost us Lowry or Ross, I'm in.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,030

Post#19 » by Marvin Martian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:50 am

John Wall's A/TO ratio = 2.38

Eric Bledsoe's A/TO ratio = 1.7

John Wall draw rate = .42

Eric Bledsoe's draw rate = .24

I do not see the similarities. Wall has much more upside as a playmaker and a number one option. Bledsoe is a soon to be overpaid 6th man at best.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,886

Post#20 » by Merit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:24 am

well thought out post. I don't know about john wall other than the physical comparisons/athleticism. that said, he's toolsy as hell and I'd love it if he were to become a Raptor.
I believe in Masai.

Return to Toronto Raptors