ImageImageImageImageImage

If you took over as GM today, what would you do?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: If you took over as GM today, what would you do? 

Post#301 » by verbal8 » Mon Jul 8, 2013 10:47 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Plan C would be to waive Vesely and Singleton and sign some better fitting bench scrubs like Price and Barron.

I think they have about equal chances of becoming productive players.

Unless Vesely wants to go back Europe, I would probably keep him and give up on Singleton. Singleton might be willing to give up a little bit in a buyout to try and catch on with a team that has a bigger need for forwards.

Vesely's bigger contract is actually a plus when it comes to trade options. He can be matched up with a salary of roughly 5 million. That could easily save a taxpaying team 3 or 4 million.

The Wizards could include cash to pretty much cover his salary if that was an issue. If you buy-out Vesely you have 3.3 million in "dead cap space".
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#302 » by hands11 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:40 pm

So here we are...Post SL. Post Olympic Nationals. Beal getting ready for full contact practice and waiting to hear some good news about Nene.

Wizards add Maynor, resigned Webster, drafted Otto and Glen Rice.

They let C Martin walk..which is about time. I had higher hopes for him. Not real high but higher.
Price and Collins are gone I think.

They have 14 signed They can go traditional with

Wall/Maynor/Temple
Beal/Webster/Temple/Rice
Webster/Trevor A/Otto
Nene in no order Booker/Kevin/Ves/Singleton....small ball Webster/Trevor A
Okafor/Kevin/Ves

Wall, Beal, Webster, Nene and Okafor were like the 5th most productive net pts lines ups in the league.. in limited minutes. They can always turn to that if they want to.

or try some S4 line ups during the start of the year and keep Nene fresh for the playoffs while evaluating.

Wall/Maynor/Temple
Beal/Temple/Rice/Webster
Trevor A/Otto/Singleton
Webster/Kevin/Ves/Booker... Trevor A/Webster at 3 n 4 are inter changeable.
Nene/Okafor/Kevin/Ves

I think the second set of lines up might be better. It keeps Nene and Okafor fresh and provides them the best center depth they have had in forever, stretches the floor more for Wall and Beal with 3, 3 pt shooters. It also gives Kevin, Ves and Booker some room to prove themselves useful as back ups. Kevin just might surprise us. If he can get his shot selection worked out and discover his inner bruiser, he can be better then Blair. All 3 offer something a little different. It also gives Otto solid minutes as a back up SF. And its since Webster can also cover at SG, you have a safety net you can always turn to while getting a look at Temple and Glen in the 16 minutes or less that will be left over from Beal. Actually, maybe less if Maynor shows well and Wall gets some SG minutes with him.

The team really doesn't need to make anymore more moves right now. They have reliable options and evaluation options to cover all the positions while winning. That gets them into the playoffs and it lets them continue to evaluate some of the younger players by providing them an legit opportunities to grow. Kevin and Ves battle it out for back up PF with Booker always there is you need more rebounding and Nene is the safety net you can always turn to with Okafor at center.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#303 » by hands11 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:42 pm

At this point, they should be patient with their next moves. Once you are a playoff level team, adding talent needs to be done more prudently. Fit and contracts are real important. And they have several options for what to do next depending on what they see using these line ups this year.

PG - Set with Wall. Evaluate Maynor and Temple. A great back up PG is always nice. But they may have enough as they are. I think Wall will be plenty healthy this year. Don't sleep on Temple. He took the long road to the NBA but this is his first full year under contract and he is a mature hard working young man that, in this prime at 27. I have faith he is working hard on the right things. Not saying he will be a star, but might be able to establish himself as a nice bench back up at PG and SG who sticks around in the league for 3-5 more years. We will get that answer this year. Same with Maynor. Once they make the playoffs, vets on min contracts with playoff experience will be more available. So PG is a low stress position for me right now.

SG Set with Beal. Rice will be the big question there. So depending on how that goes, they can upgrade there next year. Should be lots of options available at SG. They can afford to wait for the right on.

SF - Otto was an interesting pick but SF is one of those positions were you can really have a impact player. Not worried this year because they have Webster and Trevor A which is a solid combo, but #3 is a high pick to get a Trevor A replacement. Not sure that was the pick to get the best value. If the right player comes available, they should move Otto to get him. It was a tough draft. I'll pull for Otto but I have my concerns. Going to be tough for him to live up to that #3 label. VO, Zeller, Len, Ben MClemore, Burke, CJM and maybe KO might be able to fit though shoes better. If they don't move Otto, he might just end up being a super sub for 2-3 years. SF is still the position I have as wide open when they get ready to enter the final building stage. This the one area I could see them making a big more.

PF - I actually don't mind what they have there this year. Specially if they start trying the S4 second set of line ups I posted. See how it works with what you have then make a S4 upgrade if you need it. They can be patient here and look for the right move. So they have some S4 line ups they can try and a more traditional power line up with Nene and Okafor in the post. Now Nene with a better mid range, and they will be real nice.

C - Nene and Okafor. If they do it like this and resign Okafor, they just bought themselves 3 years to be patient looking for the right deal. They can wait on Asik or try for a Nikola, or Pekovic. And maybe Cousins mature on day and they add him 2-3 years down the road. After a few playoff appearances, it should be easier for them to be players in FA.

So I think they are actually pretty solid if they line them up with Nene and Okafor at center. That gives them time so they can be patient finding the next right pieces. SF is may biggest concern. That would be the big move if they find it. PF should be ok. Upgrade if you find the right player but no major hurry this year, maybe next as well. They are covered this year and if they do land a high impact SF next year, what they have should be able to get them through the next two years while keep their eyes pealed. I could see a need to upgrade at back up SG still. But they are fine for this year given where they are in the rebuild and Webstter as the safety net. And who knows. Maybe Glen is a great back up SG in a year or two. The test will be how all these player play in the playoff. Thats why they have to get there this year. You need that info.

So clearly still room to upgrade the roster, but I see no urgency to do it. They should be patient, look for the right fit.

P George would fit perfectly on this team but I see no way we get him right now.

Luol Deng could be nice. I could see that. And he could be available next year. I would also look at Paul Pierce. Though we will have to see what he has left in the tank after this year. PP will probably be good for another 2 years after this one. And man the experience he would bring.

These are the kinds of deals that should start opening up for us if we start making the playoffs playing solid ball.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#304 » by Knighthonor » Tue Nov 5, 2013 9:16 pm

Trade Nene, get rid of him for something in the draft. maybe late first early second round.

Get rid of scouts or at least have them focus on some forwards/centers.

Add better training staff to the team that can develop players better in their weaknesses.

Change the team colors/ team name, to move away from the bad press, and give the feeling of starting fresh. I would name them the DC Paladins, with Gold/Black/Red colors, with Hammer/Golden Chains for icon.

If possible, start moving the bench as well.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#305 » by pancakes3 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 pm

1) Tank for one of the 4 game-changing forwards: Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Gordon.
2) Firesale on everyone not named Beal and try our best to get Gasol on a 3 year deal.
3) Fill the bench with highly specialized, deeply flawed D-league call-ups.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#306 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Set Seraphin, Vesely, and Singleton on fire.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#307 » by Induveca » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Only deals I'd entertain is shipping out Nene for Granger's expiring contract, Indiana may be willing with their Miami playoff showdown. Also would attempt a package of Ariza/Booker/2nd rounder for Ilyasova.

Wall/Maynor
Beal/Webster
Porter/Granger
Ilyasova/Vesely
Gortat/Seraphin

Obviously not contending, but would put us in a better place going forward. We'd likely still get a lotto pick, and Granger comes off the books end of the year.
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#308 » by Mizerooskie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:32 pm

1) Fire entire basketball ops staff
2) Attempt to trade anyone not named Wall or Beal for 2014 1st rounders.
3) Do everything I can to get Julius Randle.
4) Fire EG again every week. Make up for all the deserving dismissals he's dodged.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#309 » by verbal8 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Mizerooskie wrote:2) Attempt to trade anyone not named Wall or Beal for 2014 1st rounders.

I would entertain dealing Wall for a high 2014 pick, especially if the deal included other cheap talent coming to the Wizards.
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#310 » by Mizerooskie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:59 pm

verbal8 wrote:
Mizerooskie wrote:2) Attempt to trade anyone not named Wall or Beal for 2014 1st rounders.

I would entertain dealing Wall for a high 2014 pick, especially if the deal included other cheap talent coming to the Wizards.

To me, Wall and Beal are a really good foundation to build from. Get an actual NBA-caliber coaching staff in here and Wall's game takes a big jump, IMO. It's not a stretch to say that the Wizards could have the best back court in the league in a few years with those two. That's why my focus would be on Randle in the draft, rather than Wiggins. He looks like a 20-10 guy for the next decade to me, and his dominance on the glass would be a perfect foil to Wall's game.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#311 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Only thing I would do is probably trade Ariza and one of the young bigs, for an expiring big (backup four or 5 preferably). But that's only if we're in the middle of a playoff push.

Otherwise, tank. A high lottery pick + 16 mil in cap space, new GM/coach, start fresh next year.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#312 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Mizerooskie wrote:It's not a stretch to say that the Wizards could have the best back court in the league in a few years with those two.

It's not a stretch if Wall ever turns the corner and becomes the great point guard that we hope he can be. But for now, he's not even in the conversation among the top 10 PG's in the game today. Heck, he might not be in the top 20. Right now, the following PG's are outplaying Wall:

Chris Paul
Eric Bledsoe
Stephen Curry
Mike Conley
Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
Tony Parker
Brandon Jennings
Michael Carter-Williams
Damian Lillard
Kylie Lowry
Ricky Rubio
Jeremy Lin
Isaiah Thomas

And you can make a fair case that the following PG's are also outplaying him

Greivis Vasquez
Jose Calderon
Jordan Crawford
Steve Blake
Brandon Jennings
Russell Westbrook

I was really hoping to see the Wall from March and April last season. We're not getting it. Not even close. I really hope this is just a small stretch of poor play as a result of the back injury, because if this what we can expect from Wall for the season, then Wall is a bust and this franchise has been set back years and may as well rebuild all over again. It's not reasonable to expect significant improvement from a player going into his 5th year and beyond. What you see in his 4th year is likely to be pretty close to his peak.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#313 » by verbal8 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Only thing I would do is probably trade Ariza and one of the young bigs, for an expiring big (backup four or 5 preferably). But that's only if we're in the middle of a playoff push.

Otherwise, tank. A high lottery pick + 16 mil in cap space, new GM/coach, start fresh next year.

I could see that if Ariza was healthy and the Wizards were having more success.

At this point I think everyone except Wall and Beal should be on the trade block. It might be a little early to throw the towel in on the whole season, but I don't think it is too early to explore options. Nene is one of the better players, but should be available for any reasonable offer due to him not being the best long-term fit.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#314 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Tank, tank, tank. Fire Witt & Cassell (I don't think he's competent), replace Witt the former Spurs assistant. Dump Gortat, Nene & Ariza for future assets and expirings. Outside of Wall, Beal & Porter, everyone else is on the roster is viewed as filler.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#315 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Dat2U wrote:Tank, tank, tank. Fire Witt & Cassell (I don't think he's competent), replace Witt the former Spurs assistant. Dump Gortat, Nene & Ariza for future assets and expirings. Outside of Wall, Beal & Porter, everyone else is on the roster is viewed as filler.

Yup. The only thing I would add is that I would be judicious about when to deal the vets. I'd try and trade them at their peaks. For example, Nene is currently healthy and posting a PER in the neighborhood of 18. He has been our most reliable player. If there's a time to sell high, it's now.

Ariza, on the other hand, is hurt. Webster hasn't started long enough to establish himself either. I'd hold off a bit on trading them until the offers got good. Maybe wait until the Trade Deadline. Without Nene, I'm not too worried about us winning games anyhow. I'm also okay with keeping Webster. He's still young, and is a good fit alongside Wall so I'm not dying to unload him.

Gortat is an interesting case. He has been a real good player in the past, but only mediocre as a Wizard. I think it's fair to say that he's not used to the system here, and the coaching staff haven't sufficiently adapted the system to suit his skills. My guess is that he'll play better as the season wears on, which should make him more valuable. Of course, as an expiring contract, his value is going to naturally drop as time goes on, so I'm not really sure when he'll be at his peak. Whatever the case, it is likely that we won't get back the late lotto pick we gave up to acquire him. It'll probably be a mid first rounder.

It's not worth discussing when and how to trade Ernie's Kids. None of them have any value other than as expiring contracts. We should probably just keep them to enhance the tank.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#316 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:34 pm

This team has one of the worst non basketball team names in the history of sports. What h*ll do wizards have anything to do with basketball?

there is not one part of being a wizard that relates to athleticism, aggression, hardwork, and hustle. teh image of wizard is a slacker, sits around all day creating spells,--

I would immediately change the name as my first agenda if I were Ted. He wonders why his basketball team has no identity.

There is no such thing as a YOUNG wizard. They are old, complaining, elitist, there is absolutely, the only people who can relate to wizards are harry potter fans. The team mascot identity heavily influences the psyche of the team.

Ted is faced with the almost insurmountable task of reinventing the definition of a wizard to help support his basketball identity. No one in DC cares about a wizard. It not part of the community, and its not part of tradition. The only reason you chose wizards is because it starts with a W. That was the worse decision Abe ever made and something Ted should have immediately changed along with the uniforms.

Again, TED immediately changed the name to something that creates an image of a winner. Create a team name that makes your players live up to the identity of the team.

Lakers---they have over 5 decades of success. What in the world is laker. you think of magic johnson, or all the championships they won. Celtics....they have an image of a fighting leprachaun......that's the image of the team. You have cavalier...a guy on a horse...not that great but at least its a fighter...you have pacers....race car.... that translates into running... you have pistons...running horse... you have hawks....predator...aggressive.....you have bobcats....crappy but at least its slightly aggressive....you have Heat....everyone relates to the heat...or being hot because of Miami...

you got the bucks...aggressive deer....then you got the knicks....what in the world is a knick...you just think madison square garden and long history.... 76ers....you think of Dr. J and the afro's...toronto raptors....agressive deadly dinosaurs...then you got the Magic...---that's has to be one of the least aggressive names with absolutely no connection to basketball...then you have the wizards....second worst non aggressive name in basketball.

Then you have western conference....grizzlies...bear...fits gasol and dbo greatly, spurs...san antonio...makes sense---wiley aggressive cowboys....portland trailblazers....trailblazers..is connected to oregon past...makes sense...Golden state warriors...again aggressive...New Orleans...smart...changed their name from pelicans...they want to be fast and fly and its state bird....Houston rockets...explosive....Utah Jazz....music....not that aggressive....but the team is built on rhythm....minnesota timberwolves...aggressive...oklahoma thunder....bang aggressive....sacramento kings....kings...translates to being on top...get it...dallas mavericks...someone who doesn't follow customs or rules...Mark Cuban trying to establish his team identity by always trying to break the rules...i get it....
How is TEd going to fix the image of Wizard....If the GM is well know for motion camera statistics....and becomes the face of the organization for being a wizard with NBA STATISTICS.....THAT MAKES SENSE.

Ted pushing forth a public campaign to re image the washington wizards into an organization that are a collecton of WIZARDS with INFORMATION.

that makes sense. BUT TED has YET to DO. Make it a culture that the entire organization are WIZARDS of INFORMATION. IF it's not information like stats, somebody in the organization needs to be branded as a WIZARD of something. Wizard like plays...meaning brilliant plays...

There is absolutely nothing about this orgnanization that suggest WIZARD....or high mastery of a particular area. TED needs to change the name to a name that motivates his team each game with an identity that he forces them to live up to. The leader of this team is far from the image of a wizard.---john wall is a wizard at what?....running fast in a straight line with the basketball. Beal is a wizard at what? shooting the basketball ?....Wittman is a wizard at what offense? Defense coaching? TED you need to quickly find something in this organization that everyone can point to as being a wizard...or you need to change the team name that creates motivation each game for the team.

Michael JOrdan...a bull----aggressive, stout, always charging, tough.....awesome team name---he worked to live up to image of a bull. Every time he saw his team logo, it reminded him of how he should be as a player. That's what you need for this team LEONSIS.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
thricethefun
Junior
And1: 46

Post#317 » by thricethefun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 pm

1. Move Wall for a lottery pick this year
2. Move Gortat, Nene, Ariza for picks/prospects
3. Get whatever you can in return for Booker, Seraphin, Vesely, and Singleton
4. Tank and tank hard

Rebuild around Beal, lottery picks from this year, prospects, and relatively cheap free agents. Wait for an opportunity to get a star free agent once we have made the playoffs with the core.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#318 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 pm

thricethefun wrote:1. Move Wall for a lottery pick this year

That would be a total reboot of the roster. Meaning were looking at being bad for a while in the hopes of getting a Wall-type of talent again. I don't think Wall is the problem. I don't think Wall's contract is all that prohibitive, especially if you let Gortat/Ariza expire and deal Nene. You get a solid frontcourt piece in next year's draft to go with Wall, Beal & Porter and you've got a real solid foundation to build around. I don't think a total reboot is necessary.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#319 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 pm

FYI,

It's nearly impossible to trade Wall this year because of the Poison Pill Provision in his contract. Guys on rookie contracts who have already been extended are very difficult to trade. We would need to take on about $7M more in salary than we are giving away. The only way to make it work is to package him with some other huge contracts, or involve a third team who is under the cap and would take on somebody like Ariza or Webster.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#320 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Why do we hate Wall so much? He's one of the best point guards in the NBA at generating points off of assists, plus he plays disruptive defense.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.

Return to Washington Wizards