Andrew Wiggins: 6 points against UTEP

Moderator: bwgood77

RatherUnique
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Andrew Wiggins: 6 points against UTEP 

Post#1 » by RatherUnique » Sun Dec 1, 2013 10:36 am

That game was after he scored just 10 in a loss to Nova.

I normally wouldn't care, but this guy got a TON of hype leading up to this season. A TON.

Supposedly the best prospect since Bron. I'm extremely underwhelmed thus far, given the TON of hype that he received.

I don't know what exactly he does well offensively other than dunk on 1 on none fast breaks.

Oh yeah, and spin move into the lane to a struggle, contested floater.

You can point me to his game vs. Duke & I'll point out how undersized that team is. Starting center is 6'8" Backup center is an inch shorter.

Discuss.
SirCharles3434
Junior
And1: 340

Re: Andrew Wiggins: 6 points against UTEP 

Post#2 » by SirCharles3434 » Sun Dec 1, 2013 10:41 am

Out of the big 3 ( Randle, Parker, Wiggins), Wiggins hasn't been impressive at all. I've been more impressed with his teammate, Joel Embiid.
Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Post#3 » by Xepa777 » Sun Dec 1, 2013 10:43 am

1) NCAA success doesn't translate to NBA success. Andrew Morrison.

2) One of Wiggin's best traits is his defense, which isn't on the box score. Quote here.

“We actually put him on the big kid for (three) possessions just to show our big guys that he is guardable,” Self said, “because certainly none of our big guys guarded him worth a flip.”

The next three defensive possessions went like this:

■ 6:23 left: Benimon tried to drive against Wiggins, had his angle shut down, then attempted a pass into traffic that was stolen by KU’s Joel Embiid.

■ 5:52 left: Benimon put up a shot-fake from three, had a baseline drive cut off by Wiggins, then a drive to his right blocked off before losing control of the ball and picking it up to pass to a teammate.

■ 4:28 left: Benimon had a loose-ball rebound bounce into his arms about 18 feet from the basket. Noticing that Wiggins was in a defensive stance in front of him, he didn’t even look to the basket, immediately passing to a teammate.

Wiggins checked out after that, but in those two minutes he had made his point.

3) He has the potential to be a transformational player with his work ethic, humility, ambition, and freak genetics. No one is saying he's the best player right now.

4) He's putting up identical stats to Michael Jordan in his freshman year. Chill out.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#4 » by Nolan » Sun Dec 1, 2013 10:44 am

Apparently he's been quite sick since the team arrived in the Bahamas and its obviously affecting his play. Aside from these two games he's looked great so far so I wouldn't start panicking yet.

Joel Embiid looked phenomenal against UTEP though.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
SmoothKobra
Starter
And1: 638

Post#5 » by SmoothKobra » Sun Dec 1, 2013 10:45 am

He plays up-down to the level of competition. Plenty of young players do that. He's consistently won head to head matchups with Parker on every level, is extremely efficient, affects the game in a multitude of ways, and plays high level defense. He's going to be challenged every night in the NBA, and he'll have way more freedom than in Bill Self's system. He should still be the #1 pick.
TooHood
Senior
And1: 818

Post#6 » by TooHood » Sun Dec 1, 2013 10:59 am

like Xepa said College is wayy different then NBA. Bottom line hes gonna be a beast in the NBA . Paul goerge /T-mac type not lebron like
AustinRiversGod
Senior
And1: 1,511

Post#7 » by AustinRiversGod » Sun Dec 1, 2013 11:05 am

BILL SELF
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#8 » by SlowPaced » Sun Dec 1, 2013 11:59 am

He's playing through illness.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#9 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 1, 2013 12:04 pm

Unfortunately for the rest of us he doesn't care what we think of him. He wants to develop his own way and at his own pace, and collecting a bunch of ISO skills isn't the top of his priority; learning how to play within a system is.
Read on Twitter
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Sun Dec 1, 2013 12:16 pm

he had a chest cold. if he was really that ill he wouldn't be playing.

he's not aggressive and isn't skilled enough yet to be aggressive. he has trouble scoring in the halfcourt because his driving game lacks variety (defenders are anticipating the spin move now if he doesn't turn the corner) and he's not a great jump shooter. utep junked up the game with gimmick defenses, like the triangle and 2, and kept it a primarily halfcourt game.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#11 » by peZt » Sun Dec 1, 2013 12:19 pm

I said it after the two Nike Hoop Summit games when I saw him for the first time and I'll say it again.
He doesn't seem to have a great first step, he doesn't change speeds and direction very well, he drives all in straight lines, he doesn't have good Ballhandling skills and all in all he extremely struggles beating his man off the Dribble.
His go to move is the Spin Move in the paint for a contested floater because he can't drive all the way to the basket. Combined with his not so great Jumper I don't see any star qualities n his offensive game, yet.

He's certainly gonna do better in the NBA than in College but if he doesn't drastically improve his Ballhandling skills and drive to the Basket I don't think he's gonna be anything special on the offensive end in the NBA.
His defense on the other hand is extremely good.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#12 » by Blast Tyrant » Sun Dec 1, 2013 12:26 pm

Xepa777 wrote:1) NCAA success doesn't translate to NBA success. Andrew Morrison.

2) One of Wiggin's best traits is his defense, which isn't on the box score. Quote here.

“We actually put him on the big kid for (three) possessions just to show our big guys that he is guardable,” Self said, “because certainly none of our big guys guarded him worth a flip.”

The next three defensive possessions went like this:

■ 6:23 left: Benimon tried to drive against Wiggins, had his angle shut down, then attempted a pass into traffic that was stolen by KU’s Joel Embiid.

■ 5:52 left: Benimon put up a shot-fake from three, had a baseline drive cut off by Wiggins, then a drive to his right blocked off before losing control of the ball and picking it up to pass to a teammate.

■ 4:28 left: Benimon had a loose-ball rebound bounce into his arms about 18 feet from the basket. Noticing that Wiggins was in a defensive stance in front of him, he didn’t even look to the basket, immediately passing to a teammate.

Wiggins checked out after that, but in those two minutes he had made his point.

3) He has the potential to be a transformational player with his work ethic, humility, ambition, and freak genetics. No one is saying he's the best player right now.

4) He's putting up identical stats to Michael Jordan in his freshman year. Chill out.

Completely agree. It's Adam Morrison, noy=t Andrew though.
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#13 » by CablexDeadpool » Sun Dec 1, 2013 1:27 pm

LOL but Andrew Wiggins is the next Tmac

But Andrew Wiggins is the next Paul George

Lets cut the BS...

Star wing players handle the ball. Star wing players are secondary ball handler. Star wing players are 1st options on offense.

Damn these excuses...but "he plays defense" but "it's Bill Self"

How about he just don't got the skills. He isn't Paul George because Paul George could shoot it. He isn't Tmac because Tmac can handle it. He isn't even Gerald Green because Gerald Green could shoot it.

He's looking like Victor Oladipo but bigger.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
AJ Valliant
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#14 » by AJ Valliant » Sun Dec 1, 2013 1:44 pm

CablexDeadpool wrote:LOL but Andrew Wiggins is the next Tmac

But Andrew Wiggins is the next Paul George

Lets cut the BS...

Star wing players handle the ball. Star wing players are secondary ball handler. Star wing players are 1st options on offense.

Damn these excuses...but "he plays defense" but "it's Bill Self"

How about he just don't got the skills. He isn't Paul George because Paul George could shoot it. He isn't Tmac because Tmac can handle it. He isn't even Gerald Green because Gerald Green could shoot it.

He's looking like Victor Oladipo but bigger.

Clearly he's played himself out of the lottery. I just hope he can get on a D-leauge team somewhere to develop some semblance of fundamentals. Maybe in a few years he can be a bench guy for a bad European team. Thank god I had you to scrub the lies of experts out of my brain.
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#15 » by Purch » Sun Dec 1, 2013 1:50 pm

Well Jabari had his first really sub-par game, so I'll give Wiggins a pass
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#16 » by LastNameEver » Sun Dec 1, 2013 1:59 pm

College ball is weird last like that, all they do is run diversions until the defense makes a mistake and whoever has the mismatch or open look, capitalizes.

In the league he will have the opportunity to get the ball and go
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach

Post#17 » by CablexDeadpool » Sun Dec 1, 2013 2:04 pm

AJ Valliant wrote: Clearly he's played himself out of the lottery. I just hope he can get on a D-leauge team somewhere to develop some semblance of fundamentals. Maybe in a few years he can be a bench guy for a bad European team. Thank god I had you to scrub the lies of experts out of my brain.

Victor Oladipo went into the lottery...so did Paul George...

Andrew Wiggins is a super athlete with a lot of high school hype

He can average 13 and 8 and go 1st if he come out after 1 year.

Anthony Bennett went number 1...

Draft rankings and stock don't mean ****
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

AJ Valliant
Rookie

Post#18 » by AJ Valliant » Sun Dec 1, 2013 2:07 pm

Hyperbole aside, Wiggins is playing up and down in a somewhat restrictive system, and it is early in the season. Why not wait until he's in the Tourney before we put a long term cap on his NBA potential? Is it really so valuable to stake out your claim as the first doubter that you can't wait for a proper sample size?
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach

Post#19 » by CablexDeadpool » Sun Dec 1, 2013 2:17 pm

AJ Valliant wrote:Hyperbole aside, Wiggins is playing up and down in a somewhat restrictive system, and it is early in the season. Why not wait until he's in the Tourney before we put a long term cap on his NBA potential? Is it really so valuable to stake out your claim as the first doubter that you can't wait for a proper sample size?

Nah, I just don't get the appeal of Wiggins outside of his athleticism and his defensive potential.

His offense creating ability just isn't there for me as compared to other guards and forward like an Exum and a Parker.

AJ Valliant
Rookie

Post#20 » by AJ Valliant » Sun Dec 1, 2013 2:23 pm

CablexDeadpool wrote:
AJ Valliant wrote:Hyperbole aside, Wiggins is playing up and down in a somewhat restrictive system, and it is early in the season. Why not wait until he's in the Tourney before we put a long term cap on his NBA potential? Is it really so valuable to stake out your claim as the first doubter that you can't wait for a proper sample size?

Nah, I just don't get the appeal of Wiggins outside of his athleticism and his defensive potential.

His offense creating ability just isn't there for me as compared to other guards and forward like an Exum and a Parker.

Exum is a PG, so one would expect better ball skills. Parker has a beautiful all around game and has impressed the hell out of me. With Wiggins his shot is fluid enough and his dribble low enough that I don't have long terms concerns about them.

The only potential long term issue I see is his lack of aggression and presence for a potential franchise guy. If he can become more assertive I have no doubt he'll be worth a #1 pick, even in a loaded draft.If
not he'll be an excellent two way player, but one who doesn't reach his full potential.

I have no idea how it will turn out though, as he's very young and has just started playing against high level competition.

Return to NCAA Basketball