which nba teams can't make finalfour if played in euroleague

Moderator: THE J0KER

ugur1980
Ballboy
And1: 1

which nba teams can't make finalfour if played in euroleague 

Post#1 » by ugur1980 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:28 pm

which nba teams wouldnt be able to make final four if they played in euroleague?
ugur1980
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Ynt: which nba teams can't make finalfour if played in e 

Post#2 » by ugur1980 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:14 pm

utah jazz
milwaukee bucks
philadelphia 76ers
charlotte bobcats
toronto raptors
boston celtics
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Re: which nba teams can't make finalfour if played in eurole 

Post#3 » by UcanUwill » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Every NBA team would be a favorite to make final 4. not every team is a lock tho. My bet would be Utah Jazz, I think their chances are the worst. Every other team would ne Euroleague favorite.

Milwaukee bucks

Bucks should make it and win. They have length, rebounding, perimeter scoring and shooting enough to dominate Euroleague. Larry Sanders would be like a rich mans Shawn James, Knight a rich mans Justin Dentmon, etc. OJ Mayo's unimpressive first step would be good enough to beat or split Euroleague defense. And even Ekpe Udoh would be a great mismatch, a better Stephane Lasme at the least...

Philadelphia 76ers

76ers should make it. Evan Turner and Thedeus Young would set them apart, a huge mismatch.. Evan Turner's greatest struggle is NBA level athleticism, he played ACB/Eurocup team this pre season, and he was absolutely unstoppable. He would be main offensive force, following Young and Hawes. 7ers offense seems underwhelming, but they would score consistently when faced Euroleague defenders.
Their D should be even better. MCW and Turner should be able to isolate and shut down most Euroleague guards out there.

Charlotte Bobcats

They are too big not to make it. Al and Zeller would dominate the paint consistently. Sessions and Kemba should be able to split Euroleague defenders with ease, and ben Gordon is an undersized shooter who would prosper in Europe.

Toronto Raptors

Raptors is probably the best team on this list. It is absolutely absurd to think they couldn't make it. DeMar Drozan would destroy any guard in the post. I mean, Jonas Maciulis often dominates Euroleague defenders in the post, they wouldn't stand a chance against Derozan. Kyle Lowry is stronger and quicker than most guards, he would split defenses and would have a ton of and 1 opportunities. Greivis Vazquez is a very good FIBA player, proven he could be an European star and his game is very Euro like. Guy is kinda like Sarunas Jasikevicius, his personal defense wouldn't be as much of the problem out there as well. You could built a good EL team around him alone... And hes just a back up.
Amir Johnson and Jonas Valanciunas are too consistent, efficient and strong on boards. They would do the dirty work and outperform most of their opponents. Can only imagine their average PIR...

Boston Celtics

Boston Celtics are a bad NBA team, but they more than good enough to make Final 4. First of all, they have Euro like bigs, but superior versions.
Brandon bass is pretty Euro like, but is superior than nearly anyone in Europe. He would be very consistent and strong scoring option, rich mans Felipe Reys.
Sullinger is too strong and too skilled for you average EL PF. He is like far better Samardo Samuels. He would be dominant.
Kelly Olynyk is another Euro esque big. Limited role, incredibly efficient, strong on boards and skilled. A big you need if you want to win Euroleague.
Kris Humphries is a very good garbage man. One of the better rebounders in the game, hustles and is built like an ox.
Victor Faverani spent most if his PRO career in Europe, successful enough, very solid for a 4/5th. big on a team.
Jeff Green would cause a deadly mis match problems at all times, and I also think Crawford's and Lee's games would translate very well.
Sagittaron
Senior
And1: 150

Post#4 » by Sagittaron » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 am

I agree that every NBA should be able to make the final four. I have concerns for the Jazz and the Bucks, everyone else should be able to make the final four. Many teams in Europe haven't really impressed this year, Real and Olympiakos are looking strong and have great chemistry going from last year but everyone else haven't really found an identity yet. Panathinaikos was 4-4 or something in the regular season, CSKA and Barcelona had their own problematic games. The only teams I would pick to win against an NBA team in a game or a playoff series are Real Madrid, Barcelona, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos and maybe Fener
AlexDelta
Senior
And1: 254

Post#5 » by AlexDelta » Sat Jan 4, 2014 3:54 am

It depends on how fast these players can adapt to the european game, but most of the teams you mentioned would have a big chance to make it, maybe apart from the Jazz or the Bucks.
Sports Geek
Junior
And1: 103

Post#6 » by Sports Geek » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:09 am

UcanUwill wrote:Every NBA team would be a favorite to make final 4. not every team is a lock tho. My bet would be Utah Jazz, I think their chances are the worst. Every other team would ne Euroleague favorite.

Milwaukee bucks

Bucks should make it and win. They have length, rebounding, perimeter scoring and shooting enough to dominate Euroleague. Larry Sanders would be like a rich mans Shawn James, Knight a rich mans Justin Dentmon, etc. OJ Mayo's unimpressive first step would be good enough to beat or split Euroleague defense. And even Ekpe Udoh would be a great mismatch, a better Stephane Lasme at the least...

Philadelphia 76ers

76ers should make it. Evan Turner and Thedeus Young would set them apart, a huge mismatch.. Evan Turner's greatest struggle is NBA level athleticism, he played ACB/Eurocup team this pre season, and he was absolutely unstoppable. He would be main offensive force, following Young and Hawes. 7ers offense seems underwhelming, but they would score consistently when faced Euroleague defenders.
Their D should be even better. MCW and Turner should be able to isolate and shut down most Euroleague guards out there.

Charlotte Bobcats

They are too big not to make it. Al and Zeller would dominate the paint consistently. Sessions and Kemba should be able to split Euroleague defenders with ease, and ben Gordon is an undersized shooter who would prosper in Europe.

Toronto Raptors

Raptors is probably the best team on this list. It is absolutely absurd to think they couldn't make it. DeMar Drozan would destroy any guard in the post. I mean, Jonas Maciulis often dominates Euroleague defenders in the post, they wouldn't stand a chance against Derozan. Kyle Lowry is stronger and quicker than most guards, he would split defenses and would have a ton of and 1 opportunities. Greivis Vazquez is a very good FIBA player, proven he could be an European star and his game is very Euro like. Guy is kinda like Sarunas Jasikevicius, his personal defense wouldn't be as much of the problem out there as well. You could built a good EL team around him alone... And hes just a back up.
Amir Johnson and Jonas Valanciunas are too consistent, efficient and strong on boards. They would do the dirty work and outperform most of their opponents. Can only imagine their average PIR...

Boston Celtics

Boston Celtics are a bad NBA team, but they more than good enough to make Final 4. First of all, they have Euro like bigs, but superior versions.
Brandon bass is pretty Euro like, but is superior than nearly anyone in Europe. He would be very consistent and strong scoring option, rich mans Felipe Reys.
Sullinger is too strong and too skilled for you average EL PF. He is like far better Samardo Samuels. He would be dominant.
Kelly Olynyk is another Euro esque big. Limited role, incredibly efficient, strong on boards and skilled. A big you need if you want to win Euroleague.
Kris Humphries is a very good garbage man. One of the better rebounders in the game, hustles and is built like an ox.
Victor Faverani spent most if his PRO career in Europe, successful enough, very solid for a 4/5th. big on a team.
Jeff Green would cause a deadly mis match problems at all times, and I also think Crawford's and Lee's games would translate very well.

Same old story. This is a team sport. Plus NBA players are highly overrated. You can't say average players would dominate in Euroleague, because you have brought an U.S. National team with this roster:

Elton Brand
Antonio Davis
Baron Davis
Michael Finley
Raef LaFrentz
Shawn Marion
Andre Miller
Reggie Miller
Jermaine O'Neal
Paul Pierce
Ben Wallace
Jay Williams

Good enought to dominate a FIBA tournament? You would say of course. But they finished in the 6th place. Playing in your home court (Indianapolis). Then U.S.A. Basketball understood this is a different sport to the one you play in the NBA and you should bring your best players and play international style, because if not, you weren't going to win a title again.

Even with your biggest stars, when you have faced Spain (the best European team in the last few years by far) you went through problems.

NBA should be proud of having the best players in the world, but I think Americans sometimes underrate international basketball.

PS: Please, don't compare Vasquez with Saras. Basketball Gods can read everything you write and are going to punish you :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Sports Geek wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Every NBA team would be a favorite to make final 4. not every team is a lock tho. My bet would be Utah Jazz, I think their chances are the worst. Every other team would ne Euroleague favorite.

Milwaukee bucks

Philadelphia 76ers

Charlotte Bobcats

Toronto Raptors

Boston Celtics

Same old story. This is a team sport. Plus NBA players are highly overrated. You can't say average players would dominate in Euroleague, because you have brought an U.S. National team with this roster:

Elton Brand
Antonio Davis
Baron Davis
Michael Finley
Raef LaFrentz
Shawn Marion
Andre Miller
Reggie Miller
Jermaine O'Neal
Paul Pierce
Ben Wallace
Jay Williams

Good enought to dominate a FIBA tournament? You would say of course. But they finished in the 6th place. Playing in your home court (Indianapolis). Then U.S.A. Basketball understood this is a different sport to the one you play in the NBA and you should bring your best players and play international style, because if not, you weren't going to win a title again.

Even with your biggest stars, when you have faced Spain (the best European team in the last few years by far) you went through problems.

NBA should be proud of having the best players in the world, but I think Americans sometimes underrate international basketball.

PS: Please, don't compare Vasquez with Saras. Basketball Gods can read everything you write and are going to punish you :lol:

I agree its a team game. NBA teams plays team basketball also you know. I am not American, nor I am big NBA fan. I am a much bigger FIBA and Euroleague fan. But lets not be hypocritical here, huh. Fact is, no Euroleague team is built to defend NBA teams on regular basis. Any NBA team would have a very noticeable advantage over any European team. Look at Even Turner or Derrick Williams, they were amazing facing European caliber athletes. Their physical tools were greater compared to the opposition, and they were beasting. If Evan Turner can do it, image what other NBA athletes could do if they faced Euroleague caliber athletes... The gap between NBA and Europe is still pretty big, thats just how it is.
So American national team lost. Favorites lose sometime, thats the game.

Jasikevicius was a great player, but Not like he was perfect, his handle was bad for a PG and he couldn't play defense. One of the best pick and roll maestro's in the last decade though. But Vasquez is a great player too, they both have similar strengths and weaknesses, thats why I made that comparison. Besides I truly think if Vasquez played in Europe, he would be a star playmaker.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#8 » by Sports Geek » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:25 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Sports Geek wrote:

Milwaukee bucks

Philadelphia 76ers

Charlotte Bobcats

Toronto Raptors

Boston Celtics

Elton Brand
Antonio Davis
Baron Davis
Michael Finley
Raef LaFrentz
Shawn Marion
Andre Miller
Reggie Miller
Jermaine O'Neal
Paul Pierce
Ben Wallace
Jay Williams

I agree its a team game. NBA teams plays team basketball also you know. I am not American, nor I am big NBA fan. I am a much bigger FIBA and Euroleague fan. But lets not be hypocritical here, huh. Fact is, no Euroleague team is built to defend NBA teams on regular basis. Any NBA team would have a very noticeable advantage over any European team. Look at Even Turner or Derrick Williams, they were amazing facing European caliber athletes. Their physical tools were greater compared to the opposition, and they were beasting. If Evan Turner can do it, image what other NBA athletes could do if they faced Euroleague caliber athletes... The gap between NBA and Europe is still pretty big, thats just how it is.
So American national team lost. Favorites lose sometime, thats the game.

Jasikevicius was a great player, but Not like he was perfect, his handle was bad for a PG and he couldn't play defense. One of the best pick and roll maestro's in the last decade though. But Vasquez is a great player too, they both have similar strengths and weaknesses, thats why I made that comparison. Besides I truly think if Vasquez played in Europe, he would be a star playmaker.

Fisrt of all, sorry. I assumed you were American.

When I say "this is a team sports", I mean you were basing your analysis on players. Twelve amazing players don't always make an amazing team. In fact, I don't think you are right when you talk about Derrick Williams or Evan Turner dominating in Euroleague. They made a couple good games in NBA European Tour, but remember: under NBA rules. NBA rules reward athleticism and FIBA ones reward passing abilities, outside shooting and basketball IQ. Some good NBA players haven't been able to adapt their games to FIBA style (Josh Childress for example).

Nobody denies that Lebron is the best player in the league. But the go-to guys in the Olympics were Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony. Why? Their games fit better under FIBA rules.

I understand this topic is about speculations so we can't expect "maths", but I don't think average NBA players are better than Euroleague stars, they are just better for the NBA, because I completly agree with you when you say: "no Euroleague team is built to defend NBA teams". You're right, they were made to win the Euroleague title.

If I have to risk my life under FIBA rules, I would go with Rodríguez, Navarro, Fernández, Tomic, Schortsanitis rather than Walker, DeRozan, Turner, Bass, Olynyk. But it is just my opinion...

PS: I undestood what you meant comparing Vasquez with Saras. But Jasikevicius is a future Hall of Famer and Vasquez won't, even if he comes to play in the Euroleague. He is a good player, more Papaloukas than Jasikevicius in my opinion, but yes, he would make a good carrer in Europe too.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#9 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:50 am

Sports Geek wrote:

When I say "this is a team sports", I mean you were basing your analysis on players. Twelve amazing players don't always make an amazing team. In fact, I don't think you are right when you talk about Derrick Williams or Evan Turner dominating in Euroleague. They made a couple good games in NBA European Tour, but remember: under NBA rules. NBA rules reward athleticism and FIBA ones reward passing abilities, outside shooting and basketball IQ. Some good NBA players haven't been able to adapt their games to FIBA style (Josh Childress for example).

Nobody denies that Lebron is the best player in the league. But the go-to guys in the Olympics were Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony. Why? Their games fit better under FIBA rules.

I understand this topic is about speculations so we can't expect "maths", but I don't think average NBA players are better than Euroleague stars, they are just better for the NBA, because I completly agree with you when you say: "no Euroleague team is built to defend NBA teams". You're right, they were made to win the Euroleague title.

If I have to risk my life under FIBA rules, I would go with Rodríguez, Navarro, Fernández, Tomic, Schortsanitis rather than Walker, DeRozan, Turner, Bass, Olynyk. But it is just my opinion...

PS: I undestood what you meant comparing Vasquez with Saras. But Jasikevicius is a future Hall of Famer and Vasquez won't, even if he comes to play in the Euroleague. He is a good player, more Papaloukas than Jasikevicius in my opinion, but yes, he would make a good carrer in Europe too.

There is truth in your comment. I still think you are underrating NBA players though. Talent gap between NBA teams and Euroleague teams is still big, and every team (except for 76ers), would have made Euroleague final 4 , I guarantee you that. Not all NBA players would translate to FIBA, but a lot of them would and that would be enough. Every NBA team has at least 5 guys who would be great at Euroleague basketball.

Josh Childress is a scrub, look at him nowadays, he is not an NBA player. And he was actually decent for Olympiakos when they signed Kleiza and started playing more up tempo basketball. I wouldn't say he was ever bad for them.

I don't know what side I would choose in your example. 4 great players + Schortsanitis, who ruins that lineup for me. IF Schortsanitis faced NBA caliber players, he would be completely exposed. Thats why he never made NBA roster, though he did tried. He is am enigma, is terrible defender, absolutely inept and pick and roll defense, rotations, and defensive rebounding. Thats why he only plays 14 minutes per game in the Euroleague. Guy is unstoppable in the post, but he is a huge liability at everything else.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#10 » by Sports Geek » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:45 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Sports Geek wrote:

There is truth in your comment. I still think you are underrating NBA players though. Talent gap between NBA teams and Euroleague teams is still big, and every team (except for 76ers), would have made Euroleague final 4 , I guarantee you that. Not all NBA players would translate to FIBA, but a lot of them would and that would be enough. Every NBA team has at least 5 guys who would be great at Euroleague basketball.

Josh Childress is a scrub, look at him nowadays, he is not an NBA player. And he was actually decent for Olympiakos when they signed Kleiza and started playing more up tempo basketball. I wouldn't say he was ever bad for them.

I don't know what side I would choose in your example. 4 great players + Schortsanitis, who ruins that lineup for me. IF Schortsanitis faced NBA caliber players, he would be completely exposed. Thats why he never made NBA roster, though he did tried. He is am enigma, is terrible defender, absolutely inept and pick and roll defense, rotations, and defensive rebounding. Thats why he only plays 14 minutes per game in the Euroleague. Guy is unstoppable in the post, but he is a huge liability at everything else.

Well, I think Schortsanitis has problems on defense, but I think the reason for his lack of minutes is his biggest asset too: his body. I think coaches would love to have a 30 minutes per game Big Sofo´s version, but his weight doesn't allow him to play more than 5 minutes in a row. He is so strong, so explosive,..., but lacks stamina. Nobody is perfect. Anyway, I would pick him, because he has been the most dominant post player in Europe in the last 10 years. Unstoppable down there.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#11 » by UcanUwill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:22 am

Sports Geek wrote:Well, I think Schortsanitis has problems on defense, but I think the reason for his lack of minutes is his biggest asset too: his body. I think coaches would love to have a 30 minutes per game Big Sofo´s version, but his weight doesn't allow him to play more than 5 minutes in a row. He is so strong, so explosive,..., but lacks stamina. Nobody is perfect. Anyway, I would pick him, because he has been the most dominant post player in Europe in the last 10 years. Unstoppable down there.

I agree, his conditioning is really bad, that is also the reason why he plays limited minutes.
But I do not think he is a good player at all. In a way, and I made this comparison in the past, but Sofo is kinda like Bargnani. Really good and promising at one area, but atrocious at some other, critical areas.
If I had to make one sub to your lineup, I would take Sofo out, and add a needed powere forward - Saric or Khryapa. Rodriguez, Navarro, Fernández, Saric/Khryapa, Tomic.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#12 » by Sports Geek » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Sports Geek wrote:Well, I think Schortsanitis has problems on defense, but I think the reason for his lack of minutes is his biggest asset too: his body. I think coaches would love to have a 30 minutes per game Big Sofo´s version, but his weight doesn't allow him to play more than 5 minutes in a row. He is so strong, so explosive,..., but lacks stamina. Nobody is perfect. Anyway, I would pick him, because he has been the most dominant post player in Europe in the last 10 years. Unstoppable down there.

I agree, his conditioning is really bad, that is also the reason why he plays limited minutes.
But I do not think he is a good player at all. In a way, and I made this comparison in the past, but Sofo is kinda like Bargnani. Really good and promising at one area, but atrocious at some other, critical areas.
If I had to make one sub to your lineup, I would take Sofo out, and add a needed powere forward - Saric or Khryapa. Rodriguez, Navarro, Fernández, Saric/Khryapa, Tomic.

When I first thought about my Euroleague starting five (developed in Europe players), a more similar team to yours came into my mind. I thought about playing with an usual shooting power forward (like Mirotic or Erceg), not Tomic . Then I thought about the problems Big Sofo can cause to any defender, so I chose him. I could have gone with Erceg (yeah, I love shooters :lol: ), because the final part of Mirotic's season was really dissapointing for me, though he is way more complete.

Return to International Basketball