62%

Total votes: 26

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#61 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 6:43 pm

dice wrote:you're missing my point. the bears would have won that game 2 or 3 times out of 10 with rex grossman. and there's a significant gap between rex grossman and "franchise QB"

signing jay cutler to big money long term also ties a team's hands when it comes to looking for a BETTER franchise QB. i think cutler's capable of winning a super bowl. i'm just not sure this is a good signing

You have no proof that the Bears "would" have won that game 2 out of 3 times. All you are basing it off of is subjective opinion. Fact is, we lost that game BECAUSE of poor QB play. There really is no other way around it.

As for the signing, I'm a Cutler fan and I agree that it's a risky signing because of his health. But in the end, that is what starting level QB's are paid today. And for me personally, I didn't want the Bears to mess with the offense in any way or form. Just fix the defense, which even with Cutler making 18 million next year is still very doable.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#62 » by dice » Thu Jan 2, 2014 6:56 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
dice wrote:you're missing my point. the bears would have won that game 2 or 3 times out of 10 with rex grossman. and there's a significant gap between rex grossman and "franchise QB"

signing jay cutler to big money long term also ties a team's hands when it comes to looking for a BETTER franchise QB. i think cutler's capable of winning a super bowl. i'm just not sure this is a good signing

You have no proof that the Bears "would" have won that game 2 out of 3 times

just about ANY team in the super bowl would win 2 or 3 out of 10, dude. that's just rudimentary law of averages. proof? you don't have PROOF that the bears wouldn't have won that game 99 out of 100 times. that doesn't preclude common sense

Fact is, we lost that game BECAUSE of poor QB play. There really is no other way around it.

i think you're confused as to what a fact is
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#63 » by dice » Thu Jan 2, 2014 6:58 pm

DroppinDimes wrote:Look at any mock draft this year and they have like 6 or 7 QB's going in the first 10 picks.

because teams don't have to pay rookie QBs big bucks anymore
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#64 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:10 pm

Adam Hoge ‏@AdamHoge 4m
There it is. RT @RapSheet: #Bears QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed.

Ooof. Supposedly that's the same guarantee as Rodgers had. That's steep. He's got a lot to play up to.

Average per year tied with Romo at 5th.

7th richest contract in QB history altogether. :o
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#65 » by CBS7 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm glad he'll be back, but that's a lot of money for a guy who's been middle of the pack production wise and has trouble staying healthy.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#66 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:14 pm

blumeany wrote:
Adam Hoge ‏@AdamHoge 4m
There it is. RT @RapSheet: #Bears QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed.

Ooof. Supposedly that's the same guarantee as Rodgers had. That's steep. He's got a lot to play up to.

Richest contract in QB history altogether. :o

So the first 3 years must be the only quaranteed ones.
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#67 » by emperorjones » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:16 pm

Since I started out this bears obsession cheering for Bob Avellini in 1976, and I can only say I'm relieved its a 7 year deal and I wish it were longer. I don't care about the money. In 3 years it will appear cheap. We have money to bring in 2 starters on the Defense now.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#68 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:17 pm

Bottom line: he owes us 1 Lombardi trophy. :D
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#69 » by patryk7754 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:18 pm

emperorjones wrote:Since I started out this bears obsession cheering for Bob Avellini in 1976, and I can only say I'm relieved its a 7 year deal and I wish it were longer. I don't care about the money. In 3 years it will appear cheap. We have money to bring in 2 starters on the Defense now.

Is after we resign our key players like tillman and melton and then our backups
DroppinDimes
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#70 » by DroppinDimes » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:20 pm

dice wrote:
DroppinDimes wrote:Look at any mock draft this year and they have like 6 or 7 QB's going in the first 10 picks.

No because all those teams have horrible QB's :lol:
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#71 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:21 pm

We are done ......this is a typical Bears move . We haggle Forte to death and hes done nothing but produce since the day he arrived while overpaying Cutler for the same archaic reasons that Angelo traded for him in a first place.

2 seasons from now Emery,Trestman, and Cutler are all shown the door .

What an absolute mess !!!
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
DroppinDimes
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#72 » by DroppinDimes » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:22 pm

blumeany wrote:
Adam Hoge ‏@AdamHoge 4m

Rodgers had 62.5 Mill guaranteed.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#73 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:27 pm

DroppinDimes wrote:
blumeany wrote:
Adam Hoge ‏@AdamHoge 4m

Rodgers had 62.5 Mill guaranteed.

Well, then the guys on the Score are just totally wrong, which is possible. :lol:
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#74 » by CBS7 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:28 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:We are done ......this is a typical Bears move . We haggle Forte to death and hes done nothing but produce since the day he arrived while overpaying Cutler for the same archaic reasons that Angelo traded for him in a first place.

Relax. We had a top offense this year. Bringing back pieces that helped us get there is not a bad thing.

The only way this is a "mess" is if the defense stays at the bottom of the barrel level the next couple years.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#75 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:34 pm

dice wrote:just about ANY team in the super bowl would win 2 or 3 out of 10, dude. that's just rudimentary law of averages. proof? you don't have PROOF that the bears wouldn't have won that game 99 out of 100 times. that doesn't preclude common sense

Fact is, we lost that game BECAUSE of poor QB play. There really is no other way around it.

What ever dude. I made a statement that said the last 10 teams that WON the superbowl had a franchise QB. You brought up the Bears as an example who LOST.

And again even with Cutler's 18 mill cap hit next year, the defense can still be rebuilt and be good. It shouldn't hinder the team as long as Emery drafts well and gets the right guys with the cap space that will be left.
dice
RealGM

Post#76 » by dice » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:46 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
dice wrote:just about ANY team in the super bowl would win 2 or 3 out of 10, dude. that's just rudimentary law of averages. proof? you don't have PROOF that the bears wouldn't have won that game 99 out of 100 times. that doesn't preclude common sense

What ever dude. I made a statement that said the last 10 teams that WON the superbowl had a franchise QB. You brought up the Bears as an example who LOST.

thanks for the recap
dice
RealGM

Post#77 » by dice » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:54 pm

DroppinDimes wrote:
dice wrote:

No because all those teams have horrible QB's :lol:

that too. and the fact that it's a good class of QBs. all factor in. my point was that the relatively new rookie salary scale allows teams more leeway to gamble on QB because it's by far the most important position on the field but now they don't have to pay that difference. teams high in the draft are pretty bad across the board. plenty of teams without good QBs have picked players at other positions first in the past. now they're less likely to if there's a QB with big upside as opposed to the "can't miss" DE, for example. might see it happen this year if clowney doesn't go 1st overall
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#78 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:56 pm

CBS7 wrote:
chitownsports4ever wrote:We are done ......this is a typical Bears move . We haggle Forte to death and hes done nothing but produce since the day he arrived while overpaying Cutler for the same archaic reasons that Angelo traded for him in a first place.

Relax. We had a top offense this year. Bringing back pieces that helped us get there is not a bad thing.

The only way this is a "mess" is if the defense stays at the bottom of the barrel level the next couple years.

The defense is only going to get worse and we just overpaid at the most important position a guy devoid of any leadership skills whatsever .

This is not good its a setback
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#79 » by emperorjones » Thu Jan 2, 2014 8:02 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
emperorjones wrote:Since I started out this bears obsession cheering for Bob Avellini in 1976, and I can only say I'm relieved its a 7 year deal and I wish it were longer. I don't care about the money. In 3 years it will appear cheap. We have money to bring in 2 starters on the Defense now.

Is after we resign our key players like tillman and melton and then our backups

I doubt we sign Tillman at all and Melton will be on a "show me" incentive based contract with no upfront guarantees (my guess)
blumeany
RealGM

Post#80 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 8:26 pm

Chitown - I think you're being overly pessimistic. And I think a lot of people are being unrealistic when it comes to acquiring a quarterback better than Jay Cutler. Think about that top tier of QBs today - Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers. Now think about how long all those guys have been playing. Now think about all the QBs that have been drafted into the league since these guys came up. That is a very, very small number. On top of that, all of those guys were selected under different circumstances. Manning was only available to Denver because of a freak injury and Indy wanting to move on. Originally, he was a #1 overall pick - not easy to get unless your team decides to completely tank. Brady was a 6th round pick that finally got to play because a guy got injured. He came out of absolutely nowhere. Drew Brees was picked in the second round because most were concerned with his size. Brees only became available to New Orleans because the Chargers wanted to jerk him around when it came to negotiating his new contract. As 'good' as Rivers is (pretty much same results/resume as Cutler), Brees has been much better. Rodgers was a first round pick who didn't start until his 4th year. Another guy who sort of blossomed out of nowhere.

So the odds of going out there in the draft and landing anyone near Cutler in ability are close to lottery-type levels. Do I think the guaranteed money was steep? Yeah. But there were truly no better options out there. There were no free agents out there that would knock your socks off. This isn't a QB class for the ages where there was a no brainer guy that will be there at 14 and ready to start. Yeah, you could plod your way next season with McCown, but again, why do that with McCown when you can do it with Cutler AND still keep an eye out for young free agents or draft picks that you can groom?

Return to Chicago Bears