Less Than 7
62%

Total votes: 26

blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#101 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 9:31 pm

I'll give it 2014-15. If Jay and the Bears are in the same spot, then the Jay haters were right. If they look better and make the playoffs, or beyond, there will be some crow to eat.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#102 » by No-Man » Thu Jan 2, 2014 9:45 pm

terrible move, I will have roll the dice with a QB in the 2nd round or trading a future 2nd for Kirk Cousins, or signing some veteran guy that could be at least average like Fitzpatrick, Henne or Flynn.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#103 » by patryk7754 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 9:58 pm

emperorjones wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
emperorjones wrote:Since I started out this bears obsession cheering for Bob Avellini in 1976, and I can only say I'm relieved its a 7 year deal and I wish it were longer. I don't care about the money. In 3 years it will appear cheap. We have money to bring in 2 starters on the Defense now.

Is after we resign our key players like tillman and melton and then our backups

I doubt we sign Tillman at all and Melton will be on a "show me" incentive based contract with no upfront guarantees (my guess)

We still habe two boat loads of players to bring back but hey if we get good defensive guys ni ain't mad
RastaBull
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,599

Post#104 » by RastaBull » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:00 pm

dice wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
dice wrote:you're missing my point. the bears would have won that game 2 or 3 times out of 10 with rex grossman. and there's a significant gap between rex grossman and "franchise QB"

signing jay cutler to big money long term also ties a team's hands when it comes to looking for a BETTER franchise QB. i think cutler's capable of winning a super bowl. i'm just not sure this is a good signing

You have no proof that the Bears "would" have won that game 2 out of 3 times

just about ANY team in the super bowl would win 2 or 3 out of 10, dude. that's just rudimentary law of averages. proof? you don't have PROOF that the bears wouldn't have won that game 99 out of 100 times. that doesn't preclude common sense

I think Jim Kelly and the Bills might tell you not to put too much weight in the law of averages when dealing with the Super Bowl :lol:
Doctor Drain wrote:Can a butterfly sing?
blumeany
RealGM

Post#105 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:35 pm

Fischella wrote:terrible move, I will have roll the dice with a QB in the 2nd round or trading a future 2nd for Kirk Cousins, or signing some veteran guy that could be at least average like Fitzpatrick, Henne or Flynn.

Garbage, garbage and more garbage. You would instantly destroy the offense putting any of those guys behind center - including the mystery 2nd round QB. The underrating of Cutler has reached lunatic levels. :lol:
85Bears
Pro Prospect
And1: 135

Post#106 » by 85Bears » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:42 pm

I would rather have Cutler and CJ Mosley ILB Alabama, than Johnny Manziel/Brett Smith/ Mettenberg and still no impact help on D. There will be 5 QBs taken before 14. This is the perfect draft to be set at QB, because there are some stud defenders who will fall to 14.

Also, if you think Trestman made Mccown with a great system and a superior coaching ability of QBs, great. Trestman also tied his entire coaching career to Cutler. Trestman endorsed Jay, wanted Jay and has Jay for the rest of his coaching career in Chicago. (Unless they win multiple playoff games and are perenial contenders)
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#107 » by molepharmer » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:48 pm

I sure some of the thinking going into re-signing Jay was that both Marshall and Forte don't have many years left to be highly productive. Bears probably didn't want to start some backup or rookie next year because they don't want to waste what few productive years those two may have left.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#108 » by CBS7 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 11:05 pm

Fischella wrote:terrible move, I will have roll the dice with a QB in the 2nd round or trading a future 2nd for Kirk Cousins, or signing some veteran guy that could be at least average like Fitzpatrick, Henne or Flynn.

Woo mediocrity
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#109 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Jan 2, 2014 11:22 pm

CBS7 wrote:

Woo mediocrity

as opposed to what weve been under Cutler

We were a game out of the playoffs team when we traded for Cutler and what are we now ?

still a team a game out of the playoffs
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#110 » by emperorjones » Fri Jan 3, 2014 12:45 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:
CBS7 wrote:

Woo mediocrity

We were a game out of the playoffs team when we traded for Cutler and what are we now ?

That sounds like the rationale that had the Cubs send Greg Maddux out of town.
You can't put that on Cutler. This is not track 7 Field. Its a team sport. There are a ton of reasons this team finished a game out of the playoffs - and Cutler isn't one.
Cutler put up good numbers this year. His best since 2008. With ANOTHER new system. Now we have a good line. Good receiving core and an offensive minded coach.

Top 10 reasons the Bears finished out of the playoffs???? Anyone??
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#111 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Jan 3, 2014 1:01 am

emperorjones wrote:
CBS7 wrote:
Woo mediocrity

You can't put that on Cutler. This is not track 7 Field. Its a team sport. There are a ton of reasons this team finished a game out of the playoffs - and Cutler isn't one.
Cutler put up good numbers this year. His best since 2008. With ANOTHER new system. Now we have a good line. Good receiving core and an offensive minded coach.

so now Cutler is like Greg Maddux ??????

If we cant put winning and losing on Cutler than why is he here and why did we just make him one of the highest paid players at his position in league history.

If you have to build the perfect team for Cutler to win then hes not worth that much money PERIOD.

All its been is every single year a different excuse . Its everyone elses fault and rewarding the past 5 years with a contract like that one we handed out only guarantees another 5 years
TeK
Assistant Coach
And1: 984

Post#112 » by TeK » Fri Jan 3, 2014 1:17 am

Cutler is not a champion QB. He is not a leader. McCown out performed him this season.

This signing is not bringing a ship to Chicago anytime soon.

Cutler has one of the best WR in the L in Jeffrey and Marshall, however somehow is always too timid to find them down the field. McCown practically abused Jeffrey's sized to his advantage while Cutler is just timid and unnatural.
DuckIII wrote:As for New York (Knicks), they stunk because they stink and the roster looks disjointed and nonsensical because it is.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#113 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 1:20 am

This Cutler debate is pretty much over with. Emery and Trestman feel that he's the franchises QB and he's here to stay. It's pointless arguing about him with people that just don't like him.

There is finally stability in the offense that Jay has NEVER had in Chicago, so lets just hope he can stay healthy for majority of his contract.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
blumeany
RealGM

Post#114 » by blumeany » Fri Jan 3, 2014 1:46 am

The Bears would be in the playoffs and Cutler would be a hero if our defense were anywhere close to respectable. The fact that the D couldn't stop a plastic bag blowing down the field caused the offense to constantly play from behind if they didn't score right away. We also had uncharacteristic turnovers/poor kicks on special teams as well. All I'm saying is: let's see what 2014 brings us before we call this the biggest tragedy in Chicago sports.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#115 » by DJhitek » Fri Jan 3, 2014 1:55 am

Honestly, QB wasn't the issue this season. Our defense got old and old quick and we started to build some depth defensively but OL was the priority. On the surface, we have shored up the OL well enough where we can realistically rebuild the defense into something that can withstand injuries. Point is, defense is what failed us, not the offense.

I don't know if Cutler is a super bowl QB, I know Joe Flacco shouldn't be one but he is because he got hot. So I would rather chance at retooling than essentially restarting the search for a franchise QB.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#116 » by CBS7 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 2:00 am

CBS7 wrote:

Woo mediocrity

32-19 with him starting in the past 4 years, two of those losses games he started but didn't finish.
Before you give all that credit to the defense, the average rank for the defense since he's been here has been 15.6 yardage wise, and 14.4 points wise.

I wish he could stay healthy though, tired of saying "if he could stay healthy".

And yeah, in a list of reasons we didn't make the playoffs last year, Cutler is pretty far down that list.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#117 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 3:44 am

emperorjones wrote:

If we cant put winning and losing on Cutler than why is he here and why did we just make him one of the highest paid players at his position in league history.

If you have to build the perfect team for Cutler to win then hes not worth that much money PERIOD.

All its been is every single year a different excuse . Its everyone elses fault and rewarding the past 5 years with a contract like that one we handed out only guarantees another 5 years

Do you not realize we were the second highest scoring team in the NFL? How is missing the playoffs on any offensive player? Can you please give some logic to how not making the playoffs is the fault of any offensive player on this team?
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#118 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Jan 3, 2014 4:04 am

CBS7 wrote:
CBS7 wrote:
Woo mediocrity

32-19 with him starting in the past 4 years, two of those losses games he started but didn't finish.
Before you give all that credit to the defense, the average rank for the defense since he's been here has been 15.6 yardage wise, and 14.4 points wise.

I wish he could stay healthy though, tired of saying "if he could stay healthy".

And yeah, in a list of reasons we didn't make the playoffs last year, Cutler is pretty far down that list.

Im not giving credit to anyone IM saying hes as much responsible for us not winning as anyone else who has been left go or fired since hes been here .

Hes basically 31 years old and people are still talking about potential... potentially healthy, potential to mature, potential after 5 years and we didnt trade for him when he was a rookie

The problem I see when it comes to the Cutler excuses is that

to many people have it

12345 on there list

when it really should be 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e

An off year for the defense doesnt wash away 5 years of how jay has played .I dont have a problem with bringing jay back I have problem with bringing him back at the price of someones who accomplished something since hes been here .

Its been 5 years of jay has no weapons no line etc . Its the scheme

Jay had the ball twice in the 4th quarter of win and in game with a chance to seal the deal and we are sitting at home again and now its we only loss because of the defense .

#2 offense in the league and we cant get it done in the 4th AGAIN

Im just saying you dont parade him around like some prized catch you hold him accountable for his play and make him earn his deal . All the talk of him wanting to be here and 120+ mil is him wanting to be here ?
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#119 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Jan 3, 2014 4:08 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
emperorjones wrote:

Do you not realize we were the second highest scoring team in the NFL? How is missing the playoffs on any offensive player? Can you please give some logic to how not making the playoffs is the fault of any offensive player on this team?

#2 offense in the league in the 4th quarter in a win and in game what did the offense do ?

In Philly in another win and in game what did the offense do?

Offense ranking means nothing when you cant deliver when the game is on the line .
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#120 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 5:07 am

CBS7 wrote:

Im not giving credit to anyone IM saying hes as much responsible for us not winning as anyone else who has been left go or fired since hes been here .

Hes basically 31 years old and people are still talking about potential... potentially healthy, potential to mature, potential after 5 years and we didnt trade for him when he was a rookie

The problem I see when it comes to the Cutler excuses is that

to many people have it

12345 on there list

when it really should be 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e

An off year for the defense doesnt wash away 5 years of how jay has played .I dont have a problem with bringing jay back I have problem with bringing him back at the price of someones who accomplished something since hes been here .

Its been 5 years of jay has no weapons no line etc . Its the scheme

Jay had the ball twice in the 4th quarter of win and in game with a chance to seal the deal and we are sitting at home again and now its we only loss because of the defense .

#2 offense in the league and we cant get it done in the 4th AGAIN

Im just saying you dont parade him around like some prized catch you hold him accountable for his play and make him earn his deal . All the talk of him wanting to be here and 120+ mil is him wanting to be here ?

Yup, Cutler is overpaid. But guess what? So is every damn QB not on a rookie contract, except for like 4 (Brady, P. Manning, Brees, and Rodgers) in this league. That's just how it is nowadays with starting QBs.

As for the 4th qtr against the Packers, the offense got the Bears a 28-20 lead. We mostly did lose because of the defense. The Packers converted three 4th down plays on that drive. With last one being a 4th and 8. How is that NOT mostly on the defense?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops

Return to Chicago Bears