62%

Total votes: 26

CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,441

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#121 » by CBS7 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 7:09 am

How are 4 years of being the most sacked QB in the league and 3 years of throwing to guys that would be #3's or #4's at best on solid offenses not valid reasons he hasn't been lighting it up since he got here? How about having 4 difference OC's in his 5 years here? You just can't put a QB in a **** situation and then blame him when he doesn't win us a super bowl. There's only 4 guys in the league that clearly would have done better in a similar situation.

You say those are excuses.. I say those are valid reasons.

I just think overpaying Cutler was a better option than rolling with a career backup and/or hoping we get a long term starter that ends up better than Cutler with a #14 pick. The people who actually make the decision agree.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#122 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 2:21 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
chitownsports4ever wrote:
CBS7 wrote:
32-19 with him starting in the past 4 years, two of those losses games he started but didn't finish.
Before you give all that credit to the defense, the average rank for the defense since he's been here has been 15.6 yardage wise, and 14.4 points wise.

I wish he could stay healthy though, tired of saying "if he could stay healthy".

And yeah, in a list of reasons we didn't make the playoffs last year, Cutler is pretty far down that list.

Im not giving credit to anyone IM saying hes as much responsible for us not winning as anyone else who has been left go or fired since hes been here .

Hes basically 31 years old and people are still talking about potential... potentially healthy, potential to mature, potential after 5 years and we didnt trade for him when he was a rookie

The problem I see when it comes to the Cutler excuses is that

to many people have it

12345 on there list

when it really should be 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e

An off year for the defense doesnt wash away 5 years of how jay has played .I dont have a problem with bringing jay back I have problem with bringing him back at the price of someones who accomplished something since hes been here .

Its been 5 years of jay has no weapons no line etc . Its the scheme

Jay had the ball twice in the 4th quarter of win and in game with a chance to seal the deal and we are sitting at home again and now its we only loss because of the defense .

#2 offense in the league and we cant get it done in the 4th AGAIN

Im just saying you dont parade him around like some prized catch you hold him accountable for his play and make him earn his deal . All the talk of him wanting to be here and 120+ mil is him wanting to be here ?

Yup, Cutler is overpaid. But guess what? So is every damn QB except for like 4 (Brady, P. Manning, Brees, and Rodgers) in this league. That's just how it is nowadays with starting QBs.

As for the 4th qtr against the Packers, the offense got the Bears a 28-20 lead. We mostly did lose because of the defense. The Packers converted three 4th down plays on that drive. With last one being a 4th and 8. How is that NOT mostly on the defense?

Man, there's no point in arguing with him anymore. Some people love to hate. He rarely has anything positive to say about the team hes a fan of.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#123 » by blumeany » Fri Jan 3, 2014 2:21 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:As for the 4th qtr against the Packers, the offense got the Bears a 28-20 lead. We mostly did lose because of the defense. The Packers converted three 4th down plays on that drive. With last one being a 4th and 8. How is that NOT mostly on the defense?

That is so key right there. I didn't even fully realize what was happening as I watched it, but when I found out later that the Pack had converted all those fourth downs I SMDH. On top of that, the broken play that they won with was a 4th down as well. Absolutely pathetic. See the Conte thread for more on that, though. :lol:
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
blumeany
RealGM

Post#124 » by blumeany » Fri Jan 3, 2014 2:33 pm

Cutler did more in that last game to affect his team winning than Rodgers did. What did Rodgers do? He threw to a guy that was left wide open because one of our safeties was the only guy on defense that didn't realize we were switching to man instead of zone. The Packers were gifted that win by our defense. Between that last TD and the lazy fumble recovery TD, that was the ballgame. Take those two flukes out and the Packers lose 28-19. AND the fact that the defense couldn't get Green Bay's offense off of the field caused a huge time of possession discrepancy. So tell me - what was Jay Cutler supposed to do with 10 less minutes on the field and an inability to play on defense?
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#125 » by Golabki » Fri Jan 3, 2014 2:44 pm

There are two questions here:

1. How good is Cutler?
2. How much should you pay for a QB that good?

1 gets talked about a lot, my view is that he is probably as good or better than guys like e. Manning and flacco, but clearly worse than the top tier. He's a 2nd tier QB, somewhere in the 5-15 QB range... Which gets him about the contract he signed in the current market.

To me the bigger issue is 2. Should "pretty good" quarterbacks get close to 20M or is a team better off drafting a QB and signing a quality back up for less than 5 m combined and spending that extra 15 m elsewhere.

I think these 2nd tier QBs are almost all overpaid, and teams need to get off the 'franchise QB' worship.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#126 » by micromonkey » Fri Jan 3, 2014 3:12 pm

Cutler 2020--sounds like a horror movie about a franchise who just chained some bricks around their necks and went ice fishing...

On that fumble play--don't beat ourselves up too much. I guarantee you one thing--a Bear picks up that ball and starts running--whistles would be blowing like crazy and refs waving it off. We'd have to challenge it to say fumble--which would either be inconclusive or Bears ball but no advancement because of whistles.

I thought the game was Freaky Friday for the QBs---Rodgers playing the pick-maestro this time and Cutler with the better QBR.

If Next 3 Seasons Cutler does not have at least 2:1 TD:INT ratio we been ripped off.
Spoiler:
We been ripped off
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#127 » by patryk7754 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 3:58 pm

Some things to justify this deal a little.

1. He took us to the NFC championship game with the worst oline. AnD if hadn't got injured there's was a huge chance we won that. And if we had a less than average oline instead of the worst we probably would have won.

2. He was leading tona top two seed before he broke his hand then the team fell apart. And before he got hurt the bears were playing like a top 5 team

3. 1 and 2 was done with terrible receivers and a worse oline

4. Last year he lead them to a 10-6 record.

5. He had the 8th best QBR in the NFL

6. Out side of the first Lions and the first 3 quarters of the browns game he showed huge improvement in his decision making

7. Few qbs have the talent of cutler
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#128 » by patryk7754 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 4:04 pm

Cutler deserves not even 5 percent of the blame for missing the playoffs. And the blame the he gets is jot because of his play but that he didn't play. The eagles game was barely his fault. The eagles were up 14 0 before, y pizza rolls got done cooking. And if you blame him for the packers game in any way you don't know much of anything
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#129 » by emperorjones » Fri Jan 3, 2014 4:20 pm

emperorjones wrote:
as opposed to what weve been under Cutler

We were a game out of the playoffs team when we traded for Cutler and what are we now ?

still a team a game out of the playoffs

That sounds like the rationale that had the Cubs send Greg Maddux out of town.
You can't put that on Cutler. This is not track 7 Field. Its a team sport. There are a ton of reasons this team finished a game out of the playoffs - and Cutler isn't one.
Cutler put up good numbers this year. His best since 2008. With ANOTHER new system. Now we have a good line. Good receiving core and an offensive minded coach.

Top 10 reasons the Bears finished out of the playoffs???? Anyone??

so now Cutler is like Greg Maddux ??????

If we cant put winning and losing on Cutler than why is he here and why did we just make him one of the highest paid players at his position in league history.

If you have to build the perfect team for Cutler to win then hes not worth that much money PERIOD.

All its been is every single year a different excuse . Its everyone elses fault and rewarding the past 5 years with a contract like that one we handed out only guarantees another 5 years

No. That quote was about the Cubs management not the talent of the player. I was comparing YOU to the Cubs management, not Cutler to Maddox. The Cubs rationale was - we didn't win with him, so it won't matter if we get rid of him. Not realizing how terrible the team was around him. We don't need to build a perfect team. But with a defense that was just average this year, we would have won 12 games. Detroit (40), Washington (45), Greenbay (33), Saints (26). The median defense gives up 23.8 points. If we could restrict those teams to the median, we win at least 3 of 4. Maybe not the Saints, but definitely the other 3. And you have your non-perfect playoff team with Jay Cutler.
DroppinDimes
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#130 » by DroppinDimes » Fri Jan 3, 2014 4:37 pm

LoveDaBoo wrote:
DroppinDimes wrote:
dice wrote:1) nobody claims that mccown is better than cutler. he just was this year in this system
2) it's not about who's better. it's about who's better AT THE PRICE WE CAN SIGN HIM FOR. a relatively cheap 2 year deal for mccown would have left a lot more money to spend on the defense than this cutler deal does

I get what you're trying to say but my point is McCown being your starter is bad. We caught lighting in a bottle in my opinion with McCown. Based on his history, you can't expect great numbers even with a QB guru as the head coach. A 2 year deal for a guy that you know is not as good as Cutler and after the 2 years, you're right back where you don't want to be and that's having to worry about the QB position. Yes you can draft a QB but that doesn't mean that QB is going to be anything good. Look at the QB landscape right now.

Well, we have Cutler locked up, and guess what? I'm still worried about the QB position.

That's no bueno for you :D It's obvious you're not a big fan and that's cool. We'll agree to disagree. I'm not worried about the QB position. I'm actually really excited about the possibility of what this offense can do next year. This was year 1 and it usually takes time to get the offense down and they finished 8th in offense. It should only get better next year. I'm WORRIED about the defense!
DroppinDimes
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#131 » by DroppinDimes » Fri Jan 3, 2014 5:05 pm

Jay had the ball twice in the 4th quarter of win and in game with a chance to seal the deal and we are sitting at home again and now its we only loss because of the defense .

#2 offense in the league and we cant get it done in the 4th AGAIN -

So was it Cutler's fault that Jeffrey dropped a pass on 3rd and 17 that would have given the Bears a 1st down and probably ice the game? Was it Cutler's fault that on the last drive Marshall dropped a pass in the middle of the field that would have given the Bears the ball at the 25 instead of throwing a hail mary from the 50?

Was it Cutler's fault that Conte played Zone when the rest of the defense was in MAN and Cobb ran right pass him for the TD? Was it Cutler's fault that Anderson didn't pick up a football that was lying right in front of him that would have given the Bears a 14-3 lead and changed the whole dynamic of the game?

Cutler played a very good game against the Packers. Everyone's biggest complaint about Cutler has been his recklessness with some of his throws. If anyone watched the game, you noticed a QB that has matured compared to years past. He was checking down when he had to and taking chances when the opportunity was there. It's funny because we have a lot of McCown supporters. They base their belief only on this year and forget about the previous years he's had. The guy was out of football and up until this year only had one year where he had more TD's than INT's and that year he had 11 TD's and 10 INT's. Yet we still want to bring up Cutler's past as to why you don't like him even though this was a new year with a new offense.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#132 » by blumeany » Fri Jan 3, 2014 5:49 pm

Bears efficiency ratings, per Football Outsiders:

Offense
2012: 26th
2013: 6th

Defense
2012: 1st
2013: 25th

Jay Cutler: Not the problem.
LobosJordan
Head Coach
And1: 1,320

Post#133 » by LobosJordan » Fri Jan 3, 2014 11:47 pm

Bears just showed me they are committed to signing the best player available. I trust the GM, and I trust Jay Cutler with these dynamite weapons. No doubt in my mind this offense is good enough with Cutler to win a superbowl. The problem is defense, and that's where we should focus our attention of disregard to. GM has been impressive for 2 years now correcting up our weaknesses. Let's see if three times a charm.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#134 » by patryk7754 » Sat Jan 4, 2014 7:34 pm

LobosJordan wrote:Bears just showed me they are committed to signing the best player available. I trust the GM, and I trust Jay Cutler with these dynamite weapons. No doubt in my mind this offense is good enough with Cutler to win a superbowl. The problem is defense, and that's where we should focus our attention of disregard to. GM has been impressive for 2 years now correcting up our weaknesses. Let's see if three times a charm.

I kind of feel the sam way. The problem is, do we have the , money to sign the best player available
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#135 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:11 am

From one point of view, it's remarkable that as Bears fans, who have gone practically decades watching crappy QB after QB start for the team, so many can't appreciate locking up a good QB and would rather take a risk trying to get another good QB (again, after going decades of failing to get one).

But from another point of view, it makes sense. Bears fans have rarely ever seen a Bears team with a good QB so they have no idea how to react when we finally get one.

By the way, for anyone trying to pin any blame on Cutler for the Packers game, you're probably better off putting a sign on your forehead that reads, "I don't know sh*t about football."
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#136 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:13 am

blumeany wrote:Bears efficiency ratings, per Football Outsiders:

Offense

Defense

No matter how simply you put it, some people somehow won't understand.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#137 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:34 am

Here's another way of putting it:

The 2013 Bears were the 4th team since 1978 to allow 20+ points in all 16 games. The combined record of the first 3 teams to pull of such a feat? 5-43!

That stat actually shows you how good our offense was this year.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#138 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:48 am

GetBuLLish wrote:Here's another way of putting it:

The 2013 Bears were the 4th team since 1978 to allow 20+ points in all 16 games. The combined record of the first 3 teams to pull of such a feat? 5-43!

That stat actually shows you how good our offense was this year.

It's still cutler's fault
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#139 » by BR0D1E86 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 1:03 am

GetBuLLish wrote:

Offense

Defense

Here's my position: Jay Cutler isn't worth even close to that much money. And giving it to him means we don't have it to reinvest in our defense.

That said, he's here. Hopefully he plays better than he ever has and earns his money.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#140 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 1:11 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:

Offense

Defense

Here's my position: Jay Cutler isn't worth even close to that much money. And giving it to him means we don't have it to reinvest in our defense.

That said, he's here. Hopefully he plays better than he ever has and earns his money.

That's what the draft is for. If you look at the teams witb the top defenses they build through the draft. I.e. Seahawks, 49ers, texans, Panthers, and the jets. Bit teams that try to buy good defenders fall on their face. I.e lions and eagles

Return to Chicago Bears