ImageImageImageImageImage

Myth Busters: Only the Raptors raise division banners

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Myth Busters: Only the Raptors raise division banners 

Post#1 » by Double Helix » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:14 pm

There seems to be this idea that we're the only team pathetic enough to put up a banner after winning a division title but in reality many teams do this. In fact, it's my understanding that only the Lakers and Celtics don't due to the amount of Championships and Conference titles they've won. The practice is equally common in the NHL and other sports leagues.

Here are some images of others:

So, if we do hold onto the division and do raise a second banner, and you're feeling embarrassed about such a lame feat, just imagine how pathetic it would be if we were one of the few teams in the NBA without any banners at all. Obviously, we want more lucrative ones but anything that helps to make the franchise feel a little bit more a part of NBA history and further away from expansion can't hurt.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Re: Myth Busters: Only the Raptors raise division banners 

Post#2 » by hsb » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:28 pm

I can understand raising the first one because it was something the team has never done before, but I don't think it's something the Raptors should continue doing.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#3 » by Double Helix » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:33 pm

hsb wrote:I can understand raising the first one because it was something the team has never done before, but I don't think it's something the Raptors should continue doing.

The exact purpose of this thread was to remind that we weren't the only team to do it and haven't been since. Look at the images. As I said, I believe only the Celtics and Lakers don't raise division banners. That's it. Everyone else considers it a reminder of regular season success and raises them up for posterity.

And as I said... if everyone else is doing it... and players are looking up in all these other arenas and sensing some history... why shouldn't we? It's a part of NBA history and it's better than being a team that's never won a division title or conference or anything at all.
One And Done
Junior
And1: 2,490

Post#4 » by One And Done » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:33 pm

hsb wrote:I don't think it's something the Raptors should continue doing.

wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#5 » by wolfv » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:39 pm

hsb wrote:I can understand raising the first one because it was something the team has never done before, but I don't think it's something the Raptors should continue doing.

If the raps ever start making the east finals and winning championships consistently than sure, but winning divisions is still a big deal for this franchise
CB4Champ
Banned User
And1: 2,445

Post#6 » by CB4Champ » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:42 pm

Wait a minute, Helix shows us truth, and people are still ashamed???????????????

Then you wonder why people say Canadians have no clue about Basketball.

You win an division, Its a BLESSING....Whats wrong with that?

We have not won 16 titles to put up instead. Lets be happy if we win another one and put the banner up and then move onto winning the conference...Baby steps people...Use your brains for once and not your emotions and think "Oh no everyone's looking at me, I gotta look cool".
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#7 » by hsb » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:45 pm

Double Helix wrote:

The exact purpose of this thread was to remind that we weren't the only team to do it and haven't been since. Look at the images. As I said, I believe only the Celtics and Lakers don't raise division banners. That's it. Everyone else considers it a reminder of regular season success and raises them up for posterity.

And as I said... if everyone else is doing it... and when players look up they see banners in all these other arenas adding a sense of history... why shouldn't we?

Reminds me of a story about a bridge...

Every NBA team hangs division championship banners except for the Lakers and Boston Celtics, winners of 33 NBA titles. The Los Angeles Kings, who won the Stanley Cup last season and share Staples Center with the Lakers and Clippers, hang division and conference title banners.

Griffin's opinion wasn't shared by teammate Caron Butler. Butler, who has played for the Lakers, believes the Clippers should commemorate their first division title and 50-win season with a banner.

"For the first time, yes," Butler said. "It will be a special moment in history. Winning over 50 games and winning the division. Acquiring guys like Chris Paul and Blake Griffin and having the roster that we have, the expectations have soared through the roof. We're trying to build some momentum for years to come."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... anner-hung

The first one was a special moment for Raptors history, but I wouldn't make it a tradition. Even if other teams are doing it. To each their own, it's still nice.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#8 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:49 pm

Some of you make me laugh.

You'd rather have no banners than a few banners displaying the hard work this team does. You have to crawl before you learn to walk.

You only want conference championship and world championship banners? Well prepare to wait very long and get very old.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#9 » by Roland Brice » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:51 pm

Showing pride in what you've accomplished isn't ever a bad thing. There's no scientific proof that raising division banners deters you from winning championships, as a matter of fact it's been proven completely false.
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#10 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:59 pm

Yes, the language filter applies to you, too.
Chriscross
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,190

Post#11 » by Chriscross » Sat Mar 8, 2014 10:01 pm

Double Helix, breaking myths one thread at a time
Love List
Drazen Petrovic
Pete Maravich
Stephen Curry
Jusuf Nurkic
theycallmeZZ
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#12 » by theycallmeZZ » Sat Mar 8, 2014 10:12 pm

Some of you think the players and the club will get complacent with another banner... c'mon guys
Hit Em Up
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,778

Post#13 » by Hit Em Up » Sat Mar 8, 2014 11:19 pm

I think it should be raised.. its not a big deal.. Even though it only means we are better than 4 other teams that are close to us.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#14 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sat Mar 8, 2014 11:26 pm

Chriscross wrote:Double Helix, breaking myths one thread at a time
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,007

Post#15 » by raptor jesus » Sat Mar 8, 2014 11:26 pm

I've never heard of such a myth. Don't understand why anyone would be opposed to banners.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#16 » by Hero » Sat Mar 8, 2014 11:46 pm

We absolutely should be raising it to the rafters. This is what the guys worked hard for all season. Can you imagine how pumped the crowd would be ?
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#17 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sat Mar 8, 2014 11:48 pm

Hero wrote:We absolutely should be raising it to the rafters. This is what the guys worked hard for all season. Can you imagine how pumped the crowd would be ?

The 2006/07 banner could use some company :D,
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,905

Post#18 » by bape_lovers » Sun Mar 9, 2014 12:43 am

Posters are complaining banners too??? I mean...the clips has banners of their players :S I know they do it to cover the lakers ones but come on...its there for decorations and shows hard work from our players

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#19 » by BigShotBob13 » Sun Mar 9, 2014 1:07 am

When we win 11 championships in a row then we can probably take down the divisional banners.

Yeah its probably not happening. Rather have some recognition of achievement than nothing.

Sent from my HTC One using RealGM Forums mobile app
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#20 » by RandomRaptorfan » Sun Mar 9, 2014 1:33 am

It all boils down to a significant portion of our fanbase having a serious inferiority complex.

Return to Toronto Raptors