Dumars Expected To Resign As Pistons' President After Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Dumars Expected To Resign As Pistons' President After Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Joe Dumars is expected to resign as president of the Detroit Pistons after the season. 

The Pistons had playoff aspirations heading into the season, but the additions of Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings have created a mismatched roster.

The Pistons will lose their first round pick if it falls out of the top-8 due to the Ben Gordon for Corey Maggette trade from several years ago that saved the franchise $12 million.

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Re: Dumars Expected To Resign As Pistons' President After Se 

Post#2 » by kurtis48239 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the going to work pistons,but its time to move on.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#3 » by kenwood3333 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:22 pm

he kept making bad moves one after another; he should be fired long time ago
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#4 » by pylb » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:28 pm

They'll hire Isiah Thomas to replace him.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:32 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:he kept making bad moves one after another; he should be fired long time ago

Yeah but he brought a championship back to detroit in an era dominated by the bulls and lakers. He won a title as a players and one as a GM. If you can put a price on a championship, I think his bad contracts for josh smith, ben gordon, charlie V, tayshaun prince and richard hamilton pay for it themselves. He also picked darko over melo, bosh and wade.
Robbo
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#6 » by Robbo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Well it's about time...
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#7 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:37 pm

3 years too late.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#8 » by Fresh360Waves » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Say thank you Detroit haha.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#9 » by DCintheD » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Will always love and appreciate what Joe D did for the Pistons both as a player and his early years as GM. Time to go in another direction.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#10 » by The_Hater » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Great news for Detroit fans. This was almost certainly a Golden handshake so that a Piston's legend doesn't get unceremoniously fired.

So how long until Isiah Thomas starts publically lobbying for the job? I think Buffalo Bills fans would accept OJ as their new Team President before Piston fans would get on board with Isiah.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Be careful what you wish for is all I have to say. Detroit has an owner who knows nothing about basketball. Things could be bad for a long, long time....
taco_daddy
Senior
And1: 386

Post#12 » by taco_daddy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Piston fans turn quick. Dumars helped bring 2 championships to Detroit as a player. He then turned around as GM and brought the city another championship, almost two. Now Piston fans are ready to stab him with pitchforks.

Personally, I wish Dumars would stick around for a long, long time. However, the writing is on the wall and I guess he's overstayed his welcome.
After Rose broke both his knees, I gave up on the hope that we'd make it to the NBA Finals again. It will probably be decades before we see another championship. Hello Treadmill, here we come.

It's the shoes!
grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#13 » by grumpwalter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 am

taco_daddy wrote:Piston fans turn quick. Dumars helped bring 2 championships to Detroit as a player. He then turned around as GM and brought the city another championship, almost two. Now Piston fans are ready to stab him with pitchforks.

Personally, I wish Dumars would stick around for a long, long time. However, the writing is on the wall and I guess he's overstayed his welcome.

Toronto fan here, I really feel for you guys, we went through the same thing with Bryan Colangelo, a guy who was thought to be amazing, but turned out to be a 1 hit wonder.
kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#14 » by kobe48306 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:37 am

Nice way for Dumars to leave without saying he is going to be fired. The Josh Smith & Brandon Jennings was deja vu from 5 years ago with Ben Gordon & Charlie V. I loved Dumars as a player, but this team is going to be bad for a long time as a result of his decisions. The day these two signed during the off season I thought it was quite evident that they were not going to be what Drummond & Monroe needed to be successful. In the article it mentions how they can lose their 1st round draft pick for 2014. They need to keep losing (which shouldn't be too difficult) so they do not lose that pick. in both instances he overpaid for players instead of waiting for the next year when he could compete for a high level of quality unrestricted free agents. He took the easy way out both times to keep his job a little longer. It finally caught up to him. Though, if they bring Isiah Thomas in as GM and Mike Woodson as coach, I would be completely finished with this team. I think Gore needs this team as a tax write off for all his other business.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#15 » by your boy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 am

kobe48306 wrote:Nice way for Dumars to leave without saying he is going to be fired. The Josh Smith & Brandon Jennings was deja vu from 5 years ago with Ben Gordon & Charlie V. I loved Dumars as a player, but this team is going to be bad for a long time as a result of his decisions. The day these two signed during the off season I thought it was quite evident that they were not going to be what Drummond & Monroe needed to be successful. In the article it mentions how they can lose their 1st round draft pick for 2014. They need to keep losing (which shouldn't be too difficult) so they do not lose that pick. in both instances he overpaid for players instead of waiting for the next year when he could compete for a high level of quality unrestricted free agents. He took the easy way out both times to keep his job a little longer. It finally caught up to him. Though, if they bring Isiah Thomas in as GM and Mike Woodson as coach, I would be completely finished with this team. I think Gore needs this team as a tax write off for all his other business.

The Josh Smith signing made no sense, I don't get why he thought it would work out with him Monroe and Drummond. Jennings really isn't much better than Knight either. Both of those players are way better than Charlie V or Ben Gordon though.

Return to Wiretap Discussion