Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Aaric Murray - La Salle 

Post#1 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 am

Is this kid for real?

Putting up good numbers over the first 3 games of his Sophmore season and had a MONSTER today in his 4th game.

Who has seen him? Who is he? What is he about? Who does he compare to?
B B M F 'ers
yupitsme
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: Aaric Murray - La Salle 

Post#2 » by yupitsme » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:24 am

I've watched him since high school....and yes he is for real....he was a 4 star recruit coming out so don't let the La Salle name fool you. He's very talented and can beat you inside or outside. Last year he had the problem of living on the arc, but he figured it out and has been playing more inside like he should. (only 1 thee point attempt so far)....He can beat you off the dribble, which is unusual for most big men in college. Very soft touch on his shot and can finish with either hand around the basket. He will mix it up down low and go after boards also. Uses his length to contest and block anything near him..... There is not many flaws in his game honestly, but if I was to point something out his main problem is he's more about himself than the team. He tends to get frustrated with them alot, because they really don't have the ability he does.

Skillset wise he's kinda in a Donte Greene mold for the fact he can score inside and out, but he's much more physical and all in all a better player easily.

Lottery pick next draft....
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 pm

havent gotten to see him play yet.
is he more craig brackins or david west?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#4 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks yupitsme.

It sort of sounds like he has a similar game to LMA - or is he more like Channing Frye?
B B M F 'ers
yupitsme
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#5 » by yupitsme » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Aldridge is a pretty good comparison out of those names. His game is really hard to compare to anybody honestly. I just went with the simple name of Greene, just based on the fact he can go inside or out...
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#6 » by jman3134 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:51 am

yupitsme,

You hit it on the money when you said that he loved to camp out from beyond the arc last season. He was a chucker tried and true a year ago. However, this season, as you mentioned, he has incorporated his post game a lot more. He is more comparable to Channing Frye imo. His post game does look a lot more developed this year, but scouts are going to like his face up game.

Murray is much less perimeter oriented than Donte Greene. His game is closer to David West's than Craig Brackins'. However, he is not nearly as physical just yet. Not sure if he is good enough as a positional post defender, although he can block shots with some consistency. Also, as you mentioned, he has poor team chemistry as his 3 assists in 4 games demonstrates. Once he gets the ball, you know he is looking to score. Pretty good rebounder, shot blocker and has a decent NBA frame. (in that sense not so similar to the shorter West)
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,169

Post#7 » by rockmanslim » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Seems very skilled, versatile.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDUVkZanBE[/youtube]
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:54 pm

will be 25 y/o soon, head case, doesn't pass, doesn't defend, doesn't do the little things, low iq, mediocre athlete and rebounder.
i'll pass
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#9 » by Upperclass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:30 pm

^^ all true, yet he's still an NBA player and a likely contributer for whomever picks him up. He plays angry.. posts hard, goes after everything near the rim and has a great looking shot. NBA paychecks will hurt his focus.. but he still is worth the risk for a veteran squad. He's better that many nba big man taking up roster spots right now.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Upperclass wrote:^^ all true, yet he's still an NBA player and a likely contributer for whomever picks him up. He plays angry.. posts hard, goes after everything near the rim and has a great looking shot. NBA paychecks will hurt his focus.. but he still is worth the risk for a veteran squad. He's better that many nba big man taking up roster spots right now.

i disagree with that. this kid is the definition of a self-serving player if i've seen one. i don't see him playing a role on an nba team. what would his role be? to come in and score inefficiently while being a sieve on defense and not rebounding well? to me he's a worse version of a mo speights caliber player, who i don't think should be in the nba either. i think he has a better chance of making it in the philippines than the nba, even then he might get kicked off the team. he could've been a better pro if he stayed at WVU, kept his nose clean and did what huggins told him to, but he couldn't. he wanted to be the man and not be held accountable for his lazy play and he finally got what he wanted at texas southern. his numbers dont fool me, neither did his performance in the play-in game.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 am

His stats say he's played very well this year and made improvements. He's more than doubled the rate at which he's gone to the foul line - over 10 per 40 minutes. His fouling rate was horrific, and now it's under control. And he's got prime size and length. But being 24 is a red flag, and all the off-court problems he's had is a red flag. There are always some GM's who think they're going to be the one to turn a gifted kid around, so there's no question he'll get a long look. Presumably, the Nets are happy they took a chance on Andray Blatche (though I wouldn't want him on my team).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gw795
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#12 » by gw795 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:01 pm

At this point, there is probably no chance that Murray will be a 1st round pick (something that people thought he might be a couple years back). However, I could see a team rolling the dice with him in the second round. The talent is definitely there; he's a smooth athlete with a very good shooting stroke and some nice post moves. Interviews are going to be crucial for him, as teams are going to want to know if he's changed his behavior.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm

ManualRam,

No chance he turned a corner in terms of refocusing on post game instead of chucking threes? Definitely a lot of character question marks and was one of the most selfish players I had seen at LaSalle. Then he got kicked out of WVU.

I'm not super high on him, particularly considering his advanced age, but I think he will certainly get a look just because he does have talent. His activity level at Texas Southern was about 10x better than it was at either WVU or LaSalle. Don't think that necessarily makes him an NBA player though. He wasn't doing this against power conference players night in and out after all.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:02 am

jman3134 wrote:ManualRam,

No chance he turned a corner in terms of refocusing on post game instead of chucking threes? Definitely a lot of character question marks and was one of the most selfish players I had seen at LaSalle. Then he got kicked out of WVU.

I'm not super high on him, particularly considering his advanced age, but I think he will certainly get a look just because he does have talent. His activity level at Texas Southern was about 10x better than it was at either WVU or LaSalle. Don't think that necessarily makes him an NBA player though. He wasn't doing this against power conference players night in and out after all.

he still chucked 3's. he had carte blanche at texas southern because they needed him to have that. he still looked lazy and selfish in the last game. i just don't think this kid will ever get it. if going from extremely lazy and selfish to slightly less lazy and selfish is progress, then yes, he has made progress.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft