RIP Ralph Wilson Bills Owner

VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Re: RIP Ralph Wilson Bills Owner 

Post#21 » by VC-INJURY » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:16 pm

The Toronto Bills would also have a huge geographic advantage since most players from opposing teams would be denied entry into Canada because of their criminal records :lol:
TANKNATION
Analyst
And1: 11,049

Post#22 » by TANKNATION » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:33 pm

VC720 wrote:i just can't see 60,000 people coming to watch football in Toronto. Then again, if we do get a team the culture will grow. But its just hard imagining it at the moment.

Of course they will. & it makes perfect sense. Toronto is a sports city, look at the leafs, raptors, blue jays, FC. they are all widely supported by fans. The Argos are completely different because the CFL is a 2nd tier league, whereas the NFL is one of the tops. There's only 8 home games per season in the NFL, so I fully expect a near sell out if we do build a 60,000+ stadium. Toronto is fully capable of running an NFL team, it just depends on who in the city wants to spend 2 billion dollars in getting one.
:crazy:
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,911

Post#23 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Goodell will do anything for the money which works in Toronto's favor.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#24 » by Roland Brice » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Was it Stevie Johnson who said he'd prefer to play in Toronto over Buffalo?
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#25 » by kidr1211 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Apparently an 80,000 capacity NFL stadium is planned to be built?

http://www.torontomike.com/2014/03/toro ... nfl_s.html
joseph235
Banned User
And1: 1,895

Post#26 » by joseph235 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:34 pm

TANKNATION wrote:RIP one of, if not the greatest NFL owner.

Hopefully the NFL comes to Toronto. Leiweke, do ya thang.

I doubt the NFL ever comes to Toronto. They are all about ratings and we don't count towards that because we're in Canada. Not to mention the fact that we don't have an NFL ready stadium.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#27 » by Roland Brice » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:43 pm

kidr1211 wrote:Apparently an 80,000 capacity NFL stadium is planned to be built?

http://www.torontomike.com/2014/03/toro ... nfl_s.html

2020? But we need it NOW!!!

Where's there enough space for this? It would probably have to be in the burbs, like where the Woodbine Live was supposed to be located.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#28 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 pm

This will be the last season the Bills will be playing in Buffalo. And the season after the Bills will be the Toronto Bills (they better change the name).

TL has a severe hard on to bring the NFL full time to Toronto. And very few conglomorates have more money than MLSE. They have been planning this for awhile and Tannebaum will be set up as the majority owner with MLSE backing. The heirs are selling to the highest bidder and MLSE will not be out bid by anyone. The NFL would rather have them in Toronto and this is the best way to do it. The NFL states this is out of thier hands and the heirs can do what they want so they can't force them to stay in Buffalo. Toronto, the NFL and the heirs all come out winners. The only loser is the city of Buffalo.

It's no coincidence that the Bills-Toronto deal was cancelled last month. I'm sure MLSE was aware that Wilson was near death and cutting all ties with the Bills and not being part of thier "market' was the best thing to do so they can outright buy the team. Don't kid yourself the Bills weren't the ones to back out of the deal. It was free money for them.

They can simply reconfigure the Rogers Centre for a few years to add a few more seats, get an arena built within 5 years and the team is good to go. I'm sure right now the final blueprints are being created at this very moment for a new stadium.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#29 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm

joseph235 wrote:

I doubt the NFL ever comes to Toronto. They are all about ratings and we don't count towards that because we're in Canada. Not to mention the fact that we don't have an NFL ready stadium.

That's Bob McCowan ranting and it's total verbal diarhhea, he has no idea what he is talking about and he has already been embarassed by knowledgeble people on his show who told him he doesn't know what he's talking about. If that was true then the Blue Jays and Raptors (and Grizzlies) would never even have been considered for a team because the NBA lives on it's TV contract as well.

Toronto is the 3rd biggest city in N America not counting Mexico City. It`s huge market that the NFL would love to be a part of. As for ratings, the networks pay the NFL big money so they recoup it in advertizing and last time I checked the U.S. networks are seen in Canada. That's all advertizers care about and the Canadian stations that carry the U.S. feed will pay big bucks to the U.S. station and therefore the NFL just like they do for the Superbowl and playoff games and a city with a population of 7 or 8 million in the surrounding area is much more desirable than the city of Buffalo which has a tenth of the population and twice the unemployment rate.

And how don't they count toward the ratings? if we play the Dallas Cowboys, it's being shown on CBS. If the team is good, the ratings are high, simple as that.
joseph235
Banned User
And1: 1,895

Post#30 » by joseph235 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:
joseph235 wrote:

That's Bob McCowan ranting and it's total verbal diarhhea, he has no idea what he is talking about and he has already been embarassed by knowledgeble people on his show who told him he doesn't know what he's talking about. If that was true then the Blue Jays and Raptors (and Grizzlies) would never even have been considered for a team because the NBA lives on it's TV contract as well.

Toronto is the 3rd biggest city in N America not counting Mexico City. It`s huge market that the NFL would love to be a part of. As for ratings, the networks pay the NFL big money so they recoup it in advertizing and last time I checked the U.S. networks are seen in Canada. That's all advertizers care about and the Canadian stations that carry the U.S. feed will pay big bucks to the U.S. station and therefore the NFL just like they do for the Superbowl and playoff games and a city with a population of 7 or 8 million in the surrounding area is much more desirable than the city of Buffalo which has a tenth of the population and twice the unemployment rate.

And how don't they count toward the ratings? if we play the Dallas Cowboys, it's being shown on CBS. If the team is good, the ratings are high, simple as that.

Yes we don't count, there's a reason why the Blue Jays and Raptors are never on a national tv game in the US. Every Toronto NFL game would have to be on either CBS or Fox, and they would essentially lose half the audience. I'm not an expert on TV ratings so tell me if I'm wrong.
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#31 » by kidr1211 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:This will be the last season the Bills will be playing in Buffalo. And the season after the Bills will be the Toronto Bills (they better change the name).

TL has a severe hard on to bring the NFL full time to Toronto. And very few conglomorates have more money than MLSE. They have been planning this for awhile and Tannebaum will be set up as the majority owner with MLSE backing. The heirs are selling to the highest bidder and MLSE will not be out bid by anyone. The NFL would rather have them in Toronto and this is the best way to do it. The NFL states this is out of thier hands and the heirs can do what they want so they can't force them to stay in Buffalo. Toronto, the NFL and the heirs all come out winners. The only loser is the city of Buffalo.

It's no coincidence that the Bills-Toronto deal was cancelled last month. I'm sure MLSE was aware that Wilson was near death and cutting all ties with the Bills and not being part of thier "market' was the best thing to do so they can outright buy the team. Don't kid yourself the Bills weren't the ones to back out of the deal. It was free money for them.

They can simply reconfigure the Rogers Centre for a few years to add a few more seats, get an arena built within 5 years and the team is good to go. I'm sure right now the final blueprints are being created at this very moment for a new stadium.

Doubt it. I read something earlier from a buffalo reporter stating that the family may not sell the team for a couple of years. To add on that, they have a lease at OP running for the next decade that would take $400M to break. Also MLSE has nothing to do with the bills in toronto, that's all rogers.
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#32 » by VC-INJURY » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:11 am

Interesting read:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... kelly.html

There is a succession map in place and it will move very slowly out of deference to the patriarch. It would be unlikely that any mention of sale would be made in the next year.

The club will be placed in trust, and eventually, quietly introduced onto the market.

The really important players in this deal aren’t the Wilson clan, but their 31 partners in NFL ownership, every one of whom must approve a deal to move the club.

Where does Toronto fit in this?

There is a plan here too, headed by musician Jon Bon Jovi. He leads a group that has been waiting for this moment — as Wilson dies, his clock begins ticking.

What is complicated for others is already simple for them. They have the money — fronted either by MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum or Rogers scion Edward Rogers. They have the connections. Bon Jovi’s golf buddies include Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Patriots owner Robert Kraft, the two most influential owners.

They are working on the stadium plan, which would be handled by Tim Leiweke and MLSE.

Their biggest issue at the moment is unique. It’s the Toronto Argonauts.

Forces inside this country reaching up the highest levels have made it clear that there will be no NFL franchise for Toronto if it jeopardizes the CFL. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell shares that feeling. He will not allow himself to be seen trying to kill a sister league.

This is why the Argos are moving to BMO Field once their Rogers Centre lease runs out. This is why MLSE will soon own them.

In order to win one football team, Toronto must save another. Now the rush is on to get that deal sorted before moving on to a much bigger one.

This is all a hugely complicated process that could, in the end, be decided by one rich wingnut who decides that what he really needs to complete his life is a really bad, and possibly cursed, football team.

But the Toronto bid has to be considered one of the favourites. It is holistically sound and, from the NFL’s perspective, maintains the team’s current marketing boundaries. It upsets no apple carts elsewhere.
In coming to Canada, the league would announce itself as a global, rather than provincial, concern.

Toronto could be the launch point for the new NFL.

In order for that possibility to appear, we had to wait for the old order to fade into history.
northernpuppy
Veteran
And1: 494

Post#33 » by northernpuppy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:53 am

1. RIP Ralph

2. I welcome our new NFL overlords

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPcB3vWGO9k[/youtube]
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#34 » by LakerLegend » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Why would the NFL be so obsessed with London if ratings were an issue?

Return to Buffalo Bills