Help me figure out James Young

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Sonny Carson
Head Coach
And1: 3,726

Help me figure out James Young 

Post#1 » by Sonny Carson » Sun Apr 6, 2014 6:13 pm

Sometimes when I watch him play (especially earlier in the year)

all I could see was a JR Smith/Nick Young esque kind of player. Then there were times where I could see some Demar Derozan in his game.

He's just a difficult player to figure out.

I really hope him, Darkari and the Harrison twins return for another year. Only Randle is ready imo. However, Young has the 2nd most potential.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Help me figure out James Young 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Sun Apr 6, 2014 6:38 pm

he played like a freshman and he was used primarily as a zone buster during conference play.

he did some tinkering with his shot during the season which led to some inconsistencies too. i think he was trying to speed up his release as well as raise it, getting more elevation on his deep ball. if you saw his release on his deep ball in HS it was a lot lower.

i don't get the jr smith/ young vibe out of him. he doesn't jack up a ton of bad shots. a lot of the shots he was missing during the season were good ones. he doesn't have that type of shot creation ability from the outside that those 2 have anyways.

i don't think he has the scoring potential as any of those guys as he's not particularly ball-dominant or shifty with the ball, but he does have a streamlined game (moves without the ball, takes open shots, can be used in curl action, comfortable straight line driver) which would work better next to 1st and 2nd options.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#3 » by nickforthreee » Sun Apr 6, 2014 8:03 pm

I think hes become underrated. Id still take him in the late lottery. I still think hes a deadly shooter even though he has been inconsistent this year, he did change his shot which is a hard thing to do during the season. Hes shown he has the clutch gene, he is underrated athletically, and he is often the guy Kentucky goes to at the end of the shot clock to try and bail them out. He hasnt been used as well as he could have been. But i think he will be a starter in the NBA eventually.
Expeditious
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#4 » by Expeditious » Sun Apr 6, 2014 9:30 pm

I don't think I can. I've seen him play over 40 times this year - 15 or 16 of them in person - and I still don't know what to make of him. He's certainly a streaky shooter. His mechanics look good to me and I admire his confidence (I don't think I've ever seen a player that wasn't even the first option on his team pull the trigger on a jumper as quickly as he does). He's a volume scorer and he'll probably break Brandon Knight's freshman school record for three point attempts in a season in the next game, but he hasn't been nearly as efficient as Knight was. He's a versatile scorer, though. He's comfortable spotting up on the perimeter and attacking the rim.

Coming into the season, he was getting some hype as a potential lock down defender on the perimeter, but he's seemed average at best in that department most of the season. Some games I don't think he could guard his own shadow.

Good, but not elite athleticism. Good size for a SG. I think he has a 6-11 or 7-0 wingspan. Above average rebounder for his position, although the stats don't really back that up since everyone on the roster is such a monster on the boards. Seems like a high-character guy.

I'm about 99% sure he'll declare for the draft and getting picked somewhere around 18-25 seems about right, in my opinion.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Sun Apr 6, 2014 10:08 pm

He is a good athlete and tall enough, he has the tools to be a really good defender.
Reminds me of Kentavious Caldwell-Pope a little bit.
I won't take him as high as the lottery, but he is a 1st round pick.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#6 » by reanimator » Sun Apr 6, 2014 11:05 pm

I still see CJ Miles.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#7 » by EMG518 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 11:23 pm

I have never really understood the hype behind him. I just dont see it.
Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Post#8 » by Bakuto » Mon Apr 7, 2014 12:05 pm

Seems like a really nice kid with his head on straight. I noticed his jump shot looked different throughout the season as well.

He'll be a good player I think. Could definitely improve his stock if stays another year.

Might be the better idea for him.
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#9 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 12:26 pm

hard to say

sometimes he looks like a star wing.. many times hes just a spot up shooter

i would say he has the potential to be a little more atletic Michael Redd type of player but that would be his max... realisticly he can be a very good 3 and D guy who could be a nice 6th man on a good Team
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#10 » by need4detroit » Tue Apr 8, 2014 11:26 pm

Im trying to figure him out also...
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#11 » by Dukenukem23 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:31 am

Reminds me of Xavier Henry. Has a good shot and knows how to get open but is lacking in speed and ball handling abilities. He should go 15-19 with his skill set/potential. I think he can be a decent player, but a potential bust if taken too early.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#12 » by ColdBlooded » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 pm

he plays absolute no defense.he's a horrible passer.takes dumb shots. he's a good athlete,but he's not an elite one.

he provides decent offensive upside, but i wouldnt pick him in the lottery. too much risk with him.
Sam Hinkie crew.

Return to NBA Draft