NBA Luxury Tax To Increase 7.7 Percent

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NBA Luxury Tax To Increase 7.7 Percent 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:19 am

The NBA 2014-15 salary cap is now projected to be $63.2 million and the tax level is projected to be $77.0 million. The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be $66.5 million and $81.0 million, respectively.

The official numbers won't come out until July when the NBA conducts its audit.

The salary cap and luxury tax values for the current season are $58.679 million and $71.748 million, respectively, which means the new cap projection for next season represents a 7.7% increase over this season. 

The original revenue forecast for 2014-15 was $4.66 billion, so with an actual revenue of $4.75 billion, the players would get 60.5% of the difference, or $54.45 million, on top of their 50% guarantee ($2,33 billion), for a total of about $2.384 billion. 

Via Larry Coon/CBAFaq

Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Re: NBA Luxury Tax To Increase 7.7 Percent 

Post#2 » by Knicks Universe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:31 am

Looks like the NBA did pretty well this year financially. Likely would have seen closer to a 10-12% increase though if some bigger markets like the Lakers, Knicks and Celtics were actually in the playoffs instead of the various small market teams in the playoffs right now.
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#3 » by Double Bubble » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:49 am

If KU vanished from the face of the earth would anyone miss him?
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#4 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:54 am

Yeh for a year and then the commissioner will drop it again the next year and make them pay tax. Absolutely absurd to not have this a locked figure for at least 3 years.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 am

Melo to the bulls is becoming closer to a reality. If Bulls amnesty boozer and get rid of dunleavy and hinrich, they should have the cap space to offer the full non bird rights max deal to melo. The melo to houston rumors seems like rubbish to me since the rockets seem to be the favorite to land Kevin Durant in 2016 free agency. Rockets should just play out the next two seasons with the current roster with a few minor alterations. Players like patrick Beverly and terrence jones should improve every season. Kevin Mchale's contract is also up in 2016, so rockets can pitch choice of coach, great ownership and front office, no state taxes, big market and a big 3 (with harden and d12) when recruiting durant.
cs hauser
Suspended
And1: 75

Post#6 » by cs hauser » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:01 am

Sam195 wrote:Melo to the bulls is becoming closer to a reality. If Bulls amnesty boozer and get rid of dunleavy and hinrich, they should have the cap space to offer the full non bird rights max deal to melo.

Uh... you got your numbers wrong.

Even if the Bulls amnesty Boozer and keep only 5 current players on their roster... they still won't be able to offer Melo a decent contract. Rose, Noah, Gibson, Snell, and Butler will already take up $43.0M in cap space. Plus there is a combined $5.0M cap hold for the Bulls' two draft picks and four empty roster spots. That means the Bulls can only offer Carmelo a contract with a starting salary of only $15.1M.

That's waaaay too low. Melo is worth at least $20M, because that's what Dwight, Bosh, Wade, CP3, and LeBron are making now. Realistically, the only way the Bulls will be able to acquire Melo is if they unload Taj Gibson in the process.

But if the Bulls gut their roster just to bring Melo in... they won't be contenders. They'll have only Melo, Noah, Jimmy Butler, and a hobbled Derrick Rose who hasn't played in 2 years. The rest of the roster would be filled with rookies and minimum wage vets. They're not gonna beat OKC or LAC or MIA or SAS or HOU with that team.
Thomps
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Thomps » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:18 am

If the NBA is doing so well why are they resorting to tacky jersey advertisements next year
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#8 » by The Watcher » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:36 am

Knicks Universe wrote:Looks like the NBA did pretty well this year financially. Likely would have seen closer to a 10-12% increase though if some bigger markets like the Lakers, Knicks and Celtics were actually in the playoffs instead of the various small market teams in the playoffs right now.

Just shut your damb face-hole
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#9 » by Knicks Universe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 am

Thomps wrote:If the NBA is doing so well why are they resorting to tacky jersey advertisements next year

It's part of the white-washing of the NBA.
samjones
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#10 » by samjones » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:13 am

Knicks Universe wrote:
Thomps wrote:If the NBA is doing so well why are they resorting to tacky jersey advertisements next year

I'm convinced that you don't know anything about anything.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#11 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:57 am

I think the whole system is dumb. Any team can go hire 3 near 20 million dollar players if they want. Any team can do what Heat did and make unequal playing field. All the NBA did was make money off the teams who want to build contenders with FA. Then again I haven't read all the rules, so I am guessing it is helping the weaker teams in the East some how.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 144

Post#12 » by Rashidi » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Yeh for a year and then the commissioner will drop it again the next year and make them pay tax. Absolutely absurd to not have this a locked figure for at least 3 years.

Cap space is directly tied to league revenue. The commissioner has no say.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#13 » by crazymaso » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:04 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:I think the whole system is dumb. Any team can go hire 3 near 20 million dollar players if they want. Any team can do what Heat did and make unequal playing field. All the NBA did was make money off the teams who want to build contenders with FA. Then again I haven't read all the rules, so I am guessing it is helping the weaker teams in the East some how.

I think you need to go learn about how the salary cap works :)
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#14 » by LiSTWithLani » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:35 pm

samjones wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:

I'm convinced that you don't know anything about anything.

I have been convinced of this for some time as well.

The answer to why the jerseys are getting ads is greed; even if you are doing well, you can always do better and have more.
dannyh8181
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#15 » by dannyh8181 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Double Bubble wrote:If KU vanished from the face of the earth would anyone miss him?

Highly doubtful
Wolves_Nation
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by Wolves_Nation » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Because money? Look over at Europe. They have ads on jerseys and they still look great.
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#17 » by Knicks Universe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Double Bubble wrote:If KU vanished from the face of the earth would anyone miss him?

If DB vanished from the face of the earth would anyone miss him?
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#18 » by Knicks Universe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:I think the whole system is dumb. Any team can go hire 3 near 20 million dollar players if they want. Any team can do what Heat did and make unequal playing field. All the NBA did was make money off the teams who want to build contenders with FA. Then again I haven't read all the rules, so I am guessing it is helping the weaker teams in the East some how.

Learn how the salary cap and the CBA work before posting moron.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#19 » by your boy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:

Learn how the salary cap and the CBA work before posting moron.

I don't think someone who thinks Odom is going to randomly start playing good again after smoking crack cocaine should be calling anyone a moron.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#20 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 am

You can't get mad at the Heat for James, Wade and Bosh all taking less money to form a powerful core. I'm sick of everyone crying about their big 3. The Spurs had one for the longest time:

Spurs
Duncan, Parker and Ginobili

Lakers
Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Bryant
Howard, Gasol, Bryant and Nash

Celtics
Garnett, Pierce and Allen

Suns
Nash, Marion and Stat

Mavs
Nowitzki, Terry and Kidd or Chandler or Marionz,

Nets
Williams, Johnson and Lopez or Pierce

Pistons
Billups, Hamilton and R. Wallace

Thunder
Durant, Harden and Westbrook

Heat
Wade, James and Bosh
Wade, Butler and Odom

Pacers
Miller, Artest and O'Neal
Jackson, Artest and O'Neal

Super Sonics
Allen, Lewis and Radmanovic

Kings
Cousins, Gay and Thomas
Bibby, Stojakovic, Webber and Miller

you're judging the Heat's big 3 by their talent, every team has a big 3 or 4 its just that most aren't on the same page or same book as the Heat

Return to Wiretap Discussion