Billy Baron

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Billy Baron 

Post#1 » by Blast Tyrant » Sat May 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Surprised this guy isn't on every mock draft. Seems like he could be a steal in the 2nd round. He was 4th in the NCAA in scoring this year.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-7PUFLEj_g[/youtube]

Pros:
- Excellent range out to the NBA 3 point line, shot over 40% from 3 on over 7 attempts a game
- Shoots from behind his head with his legs out forward, making his shot very tough to guard
- Good ballhandling
- Great pace to his game, controls the tempo of the game and possesses a high IQ (his dad is his coach at Canisius)
- Good but not great vision
- Plays well out of the pick and roll, finding the roller or splitting the double team
- Good spot up shooter, doesn't need the ball to be effective
- Great strength for a PG, absorbs contact well at the rim
- A nice array of floaters to avoid shot blockers

Cons:
- He's 23
- Not explosive at all
- Doesn't seem to have much as far as wingspan goes: though the combine will confirm or disprove that assumption

What do you guys think of him?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Re: Billy Baron 

Post#2 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:54 pm

44th rated senior, played on a tiny stage against minimal competition.
really hard to judge. my guess is he will not be drafted...but maybe a camp invite.
He played well against NotreDame.
Sign here
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#3 » by Blast Tyrant » Sat May 10, 2014 7:10 pm

brackdan70 wrote:44th rated senior, played on a tiny stage against minimal competition.
really hard to judge. my guess is he will not be drafted...but maybe a camp invite.

My question is why is he rated so low? He does a lot of things very well.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Led Zeppelin wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:44th rated senior, played on a tiny stage against minimal competition.

My question is why is he rated so low? He does a lot of things very well.

I think most don't see him as an NBA player, thats why.

He probably rides the pine at most major schools

lots seniors at low major type schools look really good against that level of competition, check out the other seniors rated in the 40's..really nice numbers. But you have to be a pretty shrewd scout to prognosticate how these players would do against NBA athletes.... or even top tier division one athletes.
Sign here
Willarmm
Senior
And1: 235

Post#5 » by Willarmm » Sat May 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Would rather take Sean kilpatrick who played against tougher competition and has a similar game
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 11, 2014 12:09 am

Looks like a great shooting prospect so I'd say he has a chance

1990 birthday is the reason he's being discounted.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#7 » by Blast Tyrant » Sun May 11, 2014 2:04 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Looks like a great shooting prospect so I'd say he has a chance

1990 birthday is the reason he's being discounted.

He's the same age as Damian Lillard. I can see the concern with his age.

As far as basketball goes though, he seems to have a great shot, and great feel for the game which are things that just can't be taught. I'd like to see how he does in workouts and the combine. He hasn't played many big time schools. One of his best games of the year was against Notre Dame though, and he also had a decent outing against Syracuse the year before. I think there's some reason for optimism with him.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 11, 2014 2:15 am

I agree, he looks like he deserves to go top 50 to me. The worry for him is just because he has the talent to be a 7th-9th man doesn't mean he'll get there. I figure if there's 30 NBA career players in a draft, the worst 5-10 get that career from opportunity vs having more talent than the next best 20 guys
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#9 » by Nolan » Sun May 11, 2014 2:18 am

He can't play PG at the next level and he'll get eaten alive at SG.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#10 » by Blast Tyrant » Sun May 11, 2014 4:15 am

Nolan wrote:He can't play PG at the next level and he'll get eaten alive at SG.

What's stopping him from playing PG in the NBA? He's got great size, a good handle, runs pick and roll very well.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#11 » by Nolan » Sun May 11, 2014 4:26 am

Led Zeppelin wrote:

What's stopping him from playing PG in the NBA? He's got great size, a good handle, runs pick and roll very well.

He's 6'2, not exactly a giant for a PG and he's not quick enough to stay in front of anyone or get by anyone.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#12 » by Blast Tyrant » Sun May 11, 2014 4:41 am

Nolan wrote:
Led Zeppelin wrote:

He's 6'2, not exactly a giant for a PG and he's not quick enough to stay in front of anyone or get by anyone.

He's got adequate size for a PG, particularly his strength. His defense will certainly be a concern, but most PG's in the league aren't good on that end anyways. I doubt the speed will be a concern on offense for him just judging by his ability to use picks and and good use of crossovers and hesitation moves. I'm not saying he's a surefire prospect by any stretch, but he's certainly got the potential to be a rotation player.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#13 » by Ganji » Sun May 11, 2014 1:14 pm

could be next JJ.R.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Didn't see him finish with his left hand once in that entire video, instead he finished with his right hand on the left side. If he neglected to develop that part of his game, what else is he missing? I didn't see anything in that video that would compel me to draft him were I an NBA GM.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#15 » by Blast Tyrant » Tue May 13, 2014 12:55 am

babyjax13 wrote:Didn't see him finish with his left hand once in that entire video, instead he finished with his right hand on the left side. If he neglected to develop that part of his game, what else is he missing? I didn't see anything in that video that would compel me to draft him were I an NBA GM.

Literally 30 seconds into that video he does back to back left handed layups off of beautifully split double teams.

Return to NBA Draft