Ford Mock 6.0 #2 Embiid

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Ford Mock 6.0 #2 Embiid 

Post#1 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 21, 2014 11:27 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/moc ... Mock-Draft

1 Andrew Wiggins Cleveland Cavaliers (33 - 49)
The Cavs win the lottery for the third time in four years. That is pretty incredible. They hit a home run with Kyrie Irving and screwed it up with Anthony Bennett. There are no guarantees that Luol Deng is going to sign with them this summer and Parker brings high character and a versatile scoring threat. Joel Embiid is another guy to watch here. Anderson Varejao is 32 years old. They need a long-term replacement. But will Dan Gilbert have the patience to wait? I thought they'd to go safe and bring in Jabari Parker. However, sources in Cleveland say that Wiggins is the likely choice. The team feels he has the most long-term potential, helps them defensively right out of the gate, can replace Dion Waiters in the starting lineup while adding character to the team.

2 Joel Embiid
Milwaukee Bucks (15 - 67)
The Bucks really liked Embiid before his back injury. But there are questions about whether they will actually be able to get him in for a physical before the draft. If they can, he is likely the No. 1 pick with Wiggins off the board. If they cannot, Parker or Dante Exum could move into this spot. Parker is the safe pick, but there are concerns that he plays the same position as Giannis Antetokounmpo. Exum could be their point guard of the future, as they would like to move Brandon Knight to the 2.

3 Jabari Parker Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63)
Not an ideal set-up for the Sixers who were after Wiggins. But Parker gives the a terrific scoring option to pair with their young athletes in Michael Carter-Williams and Nerlens Noel. Parker could average 20 PPG as a rookie in Philly. Look for Dante Exum to be a real possibility here, too. They could end up shopping Carter-Williams or just pairing the two together in the backcourt.

4 Dante Exum Orlando Magic (23 - 59)
The Magic want a point guard and I think Exum would be a good long-term fit next to Victor Oladipo. Neither is a pure point guard and neither is a great shooter, but they offer length and the ability to get to the basket. Both still have a lot of room to improve. Marcus Smart is also a possibility here, though it might be a bit high.

5 Noah Vonleh Utah Jazz

6 Aaron Gordon Boston Celtics
The Celtics will likely shop this pick, though at No. 6 I am not sure exactly what they can get for it.

7 Julius Randle Los Angeles Lakers
Look for the Lakers to start shopping this pick. If they had stayed in the top 3, they might have hung onto it, but at No. 7 the interest will be in trying to turn this pick and other assets into a veteran such as Kevin Love.

8 Marcus Smart Sacramento Kings

9 Doug McDermott Charlotte Hornets

10 Nik Stauskas Philadelphia 76ers
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Re: Ford Mock 6.0 #2 Embiid 

Post#2 » by Chapter29 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 am

I want Wiggins. They need to start drinking the Embiid koolaid.
Giannis
is
UponUs
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#3 » by theFireBlanket » Wed May 21, 2014 11:42 am

DocHoliday wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/mock/?season=2014&version=6&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft

1 Andrew Wiggins Cleveland Cavaliers (33 - 49)
The Cavs win the lottery for the third time in four years. That is pretty incredible. They hit a home run with Kyrie Irving and screwed it up with Anthony Bennett. There are no guarantees that Luol Deng is going to sign with them this summer and Parker brings high character and a versatile scoring threat. Joel Embiid is another guy to watch here. Anderson Varejao is 32 years old. They need a long-term replacement. But will Dan Gilbert have the patience to wait? I thought they'd to go safe and bring in Jabari Parker. However, sources in Cleveland say that Wiggins is the likely choice. The team feels he has the most long-term potential, helps them defensively right out of the gate, can replace Dion Waiters in the starting lineup while adding character to the team.

2 Joel Embiid
Milwaukee Bucks (15 - 67)
The Bucks really liked Embiid before his back injury. But there are questions about whether they will actually be able to get him in for a physical before the draft. If they can, he is likely the No. 1 pick with Wiggins off the board. If they cannot, Parker or Dante Exum could move into this spot. Parker is the safe pick, but there are concerns that he plays the same position as Giannis Antetokounmpo. Exum could be their point guard of the future, as they would like to move Brandon Knight to the 2.

Knight to the 2.
:nod:
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#4 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 21, 2014 11:44 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... ukee-bucks

Where do the Bucks begin?
Breaking down Milwaukee's draft profile and potential picks this year
By Bradford Doolittle

Personnel needs: high-ceiling talent

Major need: Where do we begin? Any time a team loses 67 games, it's apparent that the needs run deep, but this is the path we've wanted the middle-treading Bucks to take for years. There are two multiyear contracts to young players on the books. One is Larry Sanders' four-year, $44 million extension that begins next season. After a season in which Sanders missed 59 games and was mostly ineffective when he did play, it's safe to say the Bucks won't be offloading that contract anytime soon. With Sanders, the hope is that he can be paired with most big men Milwaukee might acquire, so you don't worry about him blocking anyone, or vice versa. The other contract in question is the two years and $16 million left for O.J. Mayo. Mayo ranked 418th in WARP this past season, so this is another toxic contract. However, a bounce-back season could make him attractive to a team looking for off-the-bench scoring, if the dollars can be absorbed. Either way, his presence will not prevent Milwaukee from taking a shooting guard in the draft.

The Bucks not only have the No. 2 pick, but they also get the first pick of the second round, which is a coveted slot, value-wise. With the first pick, you take the best player on your board, no questions asked. Andrew Wiggins is ideal. Jabari Parker would be a popular pick in Milwaukee, and would have a more immediate impact. Joel Embiid? Sure, there might be fit issues between him and Sanders, and the health history of both would be a concern. But if he's the top talent left when the Bucks pick, they have to take him.

Quiet need: The Bucks were so bad on both ends of the floor that there really aren't any quiet needs. However, the cupboard isn't completely bare. Sanders, Brandon Knight and Giannis Antetokounmpo give Milwaukee a nice base of young talent from which to build. So the question is: What kind of basketball will the next-era Bucks be playing? That makes identity a quiet need. Is that too abstract? Perhaps, but that big-picture thinking can shade a team toward one selection or another if its talent rankings are close. In Sanders and Antetokounmpo, you're looking at two long, defense-oriented players. If that's the profile, then Wiggins and Embiid are more favorable options than Parker or Dante Exum.

Not a need: Few outside the state of Wisconsin noticed, but Knight showed signs of turning into a fine NBA point guard amid the rubble of the Bucks' season. He's well liked, competitive and just 22 years old. So you can look at point guard as being the one position the Bucks can de-prioritize. However, a combo guard like Exum might still be a nice complement, as Knight is a combo guy himself, and having two ballhandling guards is a trend in the league. In other words, just because point guard isn't the most urgent need for Milwaukee, that doesn't mean it won't take one.

Depth chart

Jobs in jeopardy: John Henson is an enigma. His efficiency metrics are outstanding; he led Milwaukee with 4.4 WARP last season despite playing just 26.5 minutes per game. But even with Sanders sidelined, Henson did not become a featured player for the desperate Bucks, and his minus-5.9 RPM strongly suggests his metrics exaggerate his actual on-court impact. He's got one more guaranteed season and a team option left on his rookie contract, and he's just 23 years old and has a 7-foot-5 wingspan. If Milwaukee has soured on Henson, this would be the time to cash him in for a future pick, or maybe even another one this June.

Building blocks: They are Sanders, Knight and Antetokounmpo, with Henson kind of outside the bubble right now, depending on what indicators you value. None of them are franchise-type players now, but each of them could potentially become one. This is what rebuilding looks like. Milwaukee will be hoping to land an elite talent in this draft whose ceiling trumps that of any of the available talent on hand. Antetokounmpo is the most exciting of the returning players, and given his age and lack of experience against top-flight competition, the fact he was able to finish above replacement level as a rookie is a great sign.

What free agency could solve

The Bucks should be targeting overseas players and taking fliers on undrafted rookies with their free-agent dollars this summer. No more middling, veteran deals for guys like Mayo, Zaza Pachulia and Ersan Ilyasova. If you need to add one or two minimum-salaried vets to provide leadership and accountability, so be it. Just don't clog the future cap with those kind of poor-value deals.

How they draft

Where they draft well: The Bucks had been stuck in the middle for a long time before last year, so it's no surprise that the Draft Initiative metrics compiled by our own Tom Haberstroh rank the Bucks 14th by the average value they've extracted from their draft slots over the past decade. This will be the seventh draft for Milwaukee GM John Hammond, and this will be his highest draft slot yet. His best picks have been in the latter half of the lottery, including Brandon Jennings at No. 10 in 2009, who was eventually flipped for Knight, so that worked out. Henson (No. 14, 2012) was another good value pick.

Where they don't draft well: Hammond's worst pick was his first: Joe Alexander at No. 8 in 2008. Some of the other top 10 misses for the Bucks -- Yi Jianlian, Shawn Respert, Robert Traylor, Joel Przybilla -- were on someone else's watch. Right now, Antetokounmpo remains a potential-over-production selection, but if he pans out as Milwaukee hopes, his No. 15 draft slot could make him one of the Bucks' best-ever draft values.

Three best fits

Andrew Wiggins, SG, Kansas (Chad Ford Big Board ranking: No. 1): The best player on the board, that's who the Bucks need. A future wing duo of Wiggins and Antetokounmpo would make the Bucks a dangerous defense-and-transition team.

Jabari Parker, SF, Duke (No. 2): Antetokounmpo's length and Sanders' rim protection might help make up for any defensive shortcomings Parker might face in the NBA. Meanwhile, he'd give Milwaukee a bedrock scorer to go with Knight on the offensive end.

Joel Embiid, C, Kansas (No. 3): If Sanders' offensive profile turns into that of an occasional midrange jump-shooter, then Embiid's burgeoning post game would be a nice complement, though he can shoot the face-up jumper, as well. On the defensive end, you're talking about two elite shot-blockers with the athleticism to step out when teams try to spread the floor.

he kind of lost me at Knight turning into a fine NBA point guard, but

Spoiler:

Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#5 » by Ill-yasova » Wed May 21, 2014 11:45 am

I'm looking forward to a month of Chad Ford randomly scrambling these ranking once a week for click-bait.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#6 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed May 21, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Dante Exum. I think he may have the most unknown floor of the Top 4, but man he fits the roster nicely and his upside looks tremendous. PG can control the game so much and the Bucks really need a guy that can do that. Exum/Knight/Giannis/Henson/Sanders is something I would be excited for.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,973

Post#7 » by drew881 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm fine with any of Wiggins, Embiid, Exum. The length and defensive potential our team will get from any of those three, plus Giannis, Sanders, and Knight will be insane.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#8 » by bizarro » Wed May 21, 2014 12:26 pm

drew881 wrote:I'm fine with any of Wiggins, Embiid, Exum. The length and defensive potential our team will get from any of those three, plus Giannis, Sanders, and Knight will be insane.

I know you're touting his potential, but I do want to remind us Brandon Knight had terrible defensive metrics this past season. His season prior his defensive metrics were more than acceptable. But, his overemphasis on the offensive end clearly was detrimental to his defensive performance because, frankly, it wasn't very good.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#9 » by crkone » Wed May 21, 2014 12:31 pm

It's crazy how the top 4 guys have some pretty apparent strengths and weaknesses. Barring injury, they all should at least play in this league for a while.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#10 » by bucksbrewers3 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:44 pm

drew881 wrote:I'm fine with any of Wiggins, Embiid, Exum. The length and defensive potential our team will get from any of those three, plus Giannis, Sanders, and Knight will be insane.

if they draft embiid they better not be playing sanders and him together. picking embiid is a complete disaster waiting to happen. If wiggins is gone you play it SAFE and pick a sure fire scorer, since you guys know, our leading scorer was 17ppg. thats putrid. if its some how parker or embiid first you obviously take wiggins but i highly doubt that happens. I want absolutely nothing to do with embiid, not with that back issue already at a young age.
CaptainAwesome
Senior
And1: 83

Post#11 » by CaptainAwesome » Wed May 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Embiid with his back problems?

Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#12 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 21, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm a Wiggins guy, and I do think Embiid will be the best player in this draft when healthy, but in the end I think the Bucks take Jabari. I think Parker will be a Redd/Big Dog/Vin Baker level player that steps on the court and drops 20pts on average efficiency with average to mediocre defense and generally works his butt off to win on the court, 3-5 all-star appearances, etc, BUT I think he also has the Grant Hill type media darling personality that will draw attention to this team and have other players around the league wanting to play with him. I think he could be a future starter on team USA and be a solid face of the franchise type player.

Spoiler:

CaptainAwesome
Senior
And1: 83

Post#13 » by CaptainAwesome » Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 pm

DocHoliday wrote:I'm a Wiggins guy, and I do think Embiid will be the best player in this draft if healthy

FIFY. Hopefully Cleveland figures out how to screw this up again and takes Embiid.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,107

Post#14 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 pm

DocHoliday wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10950243/milwaukee-bucks

By Bradford Doolittle

Major need: Where do we begin? Any time a team loses 67 games, it's apparent that the needs run deep, but this is the path we've wanted the middle-treading Bucks to take for years. There are two multiyear contracts to young players on the books. One is Larry Sanders' four-year, $44 million extension that begins next season. After a season in which Sanders missed 59 games and was mostly ineffective when he did play, it's safe to say the Bucks won't be offloading that contract anytime soon. With Sanders, the hope is that he can be paired with most big men Milwaukee might acquire, so you don't worry about him blocking anyone, or vice versa. The other contract in question is the two years and $16 million left for O.J. Mayo. Mayo ranked 418th in WARP this past season, so this is another toxic contract. However, a bounce-back season could make him attractive to a team looking for off-the-bench scoring, if the dollars can be absorbed. Either way, his presence will not prevent Milwaukee from taking a shooting guard in the draft.

The Bucks not only have the No. 2 pick, but they also get the first pick of the second round, which is a coveted slot, value-wise. With the first pick, you take the best player on your board, no questions asked. Andrew Wiggins is ideal. Jabari Parker would be a popular pick in Milwaukee, and would have a more immediate impact. Joel Embiid? Sure, there might be fit issues between him and Sanders, and the health history of both would be a concern. But if he's the top talent left when the Bucks pick, they have to take him.

Quiet need: The Bucks were so bad on both ends of the floor that there really aren't any quiet needs. However, the cupboard isn't completely bare. Sanders, Brandon Knight and Giannis Antetokounmpo give Milwaukee a nice base of young talent from which to build. So the question is: What kind of basketball will the next-era Bucks be playing? That makes identity a quiet need. Is that too abstract? Perhaps, but that big-picture thinking can shade a team toward one selection or another if its talent rankings are close. In Sanders and Antetokounmpo, you're looking at two long, defense-oriented players. If that's the profile, then Wiggins and Embiid are more favorable options than Parker or Dante Exum.

Not a need: Few outside the state of Wisconsin noticed, but Knight showed signs of turning into a fine NBA point guard amid the rubble of the Bucks' season. He's well liked, competitive and just 22 years old. So you can look at point guard as being the one position the Bucks can de-prioritize.

Stopped reading here. Not only did few outside the state of Wisconsin notice, but few inside the state of Wisconsin, not to mention inside Milwaukee and inside the Bradley Center. This is an article from someone who did not watch the Bucks play basketball in 2013-2014.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#15 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:

if they draft embiid they better not be playing sanders and him together. picking embiid is a complete disaster waiting to happen. If wiggins is gone you play it SAFE and pick a sure fire scorer, since you guys know, our leading scorer was 17ppg. thats putrid. if its some how parker or embiid first you obviously take wiggins but i highly doubt that happens. I want absolutely nothing to do with embiid, not with that back issue already at a young age.

PPGZ!!!1!!
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#16 » by theFireBlanket » Wed May 21, 2014 1:27 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10950243/milwaukee-bucks

By Bradford Doolittle

Not a need: Few outside the state of Wisconsin noticed, but Knight showed signs of turning into a fine NBA point guard amid the rubble of the Bucks' season. He's well liked, competitive and just 22 years old. So you can look at point guard as being the one position the Bucks can de-prioritize.

Stopped reading here. Not only did few outside the state of Wisconsin notice, but few inside the state of Wisconsin, not to mention inside Milwaukee and inside the Bradley Center. This is an article from someone who did not watch the Bucks play basketball in 2013-2014.

He also published this around the same time that Ford says the Bucks aren't running Knight at the point guard anymore with his latest mock draft in DocHoliday's op. That's perhaps the largest piece of news in Ford's mock for us because nearly everyone's been clamoring for him at least moving to SG full time if he's still here.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#17 » by MiltownHawkeye » Wed May 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Is it true that Embiid's agent refuses to share medical records with us?
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#18 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed May 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Two things I find encouraging: Bucks are shying away from Parker because he plays the same position as Giannis AND Knight is not a PG. Those are two beautiful statements (assuming they're true) to wake up to this morning.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
jwalsh52
Junior
And1: 24

Post#19 » by jwalsh52 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:33 pm

With Embiid as our pick I would try to use 36 & 48 to trade into the 1st round and get Payton. If I can't trade up I would use the 31 on Micic. The 36 pick would be for Dinwiddie or Bogdanovic. 48 would be to stash a player in Europe.

I don't think Parker raises the level of the Bucks as much as Wiggins or Exum so I would try to trade the 2 pick for the 3 & 10 or the 4 & 12. With one of those combos I would pick Exum and Stauskas or Young. Use 31 on McGary, 36 on Dinwiddie or Bogdanovic. and 48 to stash a player in Europe.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,973

Post#20 » by drew881 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:33 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:Is it true that Embiid's agent refuses to share medical records with us?

This to me is really annoying and needs to be addressed by the NBA. All teams should have some public record or physical for a player. For one, it lets rookies try to control their destiny, but it also hinders draft day trades, something the NBA should support because they are exciting.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks