Mario Hezonja

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Mario Hezonja 

Post#1 » by nickforthreee » Thu May 15, 2014 6:41 am

Im curious about him for next year as i have not seen much film of him.

#1 How high is his ceiling?

#2 Who is a better prospect him or Dante Exum?

#3 NBA Comparison?

#4 Does he project as a SG or SF?

Thanks for any info guys
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Re: Mario Hezonja 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 15, 2014 6:47 am

I used to be a big fan but when I looked closer, I realized I had overstated his slashing ability in the NBA. It may be because of ballhandling issues but I don't see a player excelling at separation in the halfcourt. His shooting is also not a guarantee. Right now I see him as a better defensive prospect than offensive, like Giannis
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#3 » by nickforthreee » Thu May 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I used to be a big fan but when I looked closer, I realized I had overstated his slashing ability in the NBA. It may be because of ballhandling issues but I don't see a player excelling at separation in the halfcourt. His shooting is also not a guarantee. Right now I see him as a better defensive prospect than offensive, like Giannis

who is someone in the NBA he compares to in your opinion?
Spalato
Junior
And1: 335

Post#4 » by Spalato » Sat May 24, 2014 10:06 am

Top 7 plays 2014, awesome viewing. Wouldn't be surprised if Croatia with Mario Hezonja and Dario Saric become European champions in the next 10 years.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s97sRoz-xag[/youtube]
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Sat May 24, 2014 11:24 am

i'm still high on him. there's a lot to like about his game. he's still only 19. could still be growing. looks closer to 6'8 than his listed height. pristine stroke with a high release, bouncy athlete with easy rise, strong build, great footwork on the perimeter, has shot-creating potential, flashes play-making ability. no, he's not a great slasher atm. he needs to learn how to get lower on his drives, but he can attack closeouts and can make plays vertically with his bounce and body control once he gets to his launching areas.

he's slowly but surely maturing on the floor. he's shedding that selfish chucker label that he had a couple of yrs ago. just by looking at his %'s, it appears as though he has improved his shot selection. it's difficult to be an efficient shooter while being a low usage player, but he accomplished that this yr.
he's also becoming more of a solid defender as opposed to a gambler for steals.

still looks like a top 10 player to me, possibly the first wing taken in next yr's draft. i don't think there's a good comparison for him out of current players, but i see a little sean elliott in his game. at close to 6'8 i'd consider him a swingman though. his size played at the 2 would be a big bonus.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#6 » by sisibilio » Sun May 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Joe Johnson is a good comparison IMO.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#7 » by pohani komarac » Mon May 26, 2014 12:35 pm

I don't know why would anyone write him of. At age of 19 he collected over 30 games for one of top teams in Europe and had his good and bad moments. His competition is Navarro, Oleson, Abrines, Papanikolau + Sada and Nahbar who can cover 2-3 spots. And top teams don't give minutes to young kids just like that.

btw. Recetly he said he has now 232lbs. That's almost like young LeBron body
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Mon May 26, 2014 3:31 pm

there's no way he's 232 lbs unless he let himself go and got fat.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
pohani komarac
Senior

Post#9 » by pohani komarac » Wed Jul 9, 2014 4:01 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahBfXM8S16I[/youtube]
Julian_U2
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#10 » by Julian_U2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:54 pm

#1 How high is his ceiling?

Top 4 draft 2015, future all star.

#2 Who is a better prospect him or Dante Exum?

Exum.

#3 NBA Comparison?

More agile and taller Thompson. Better handling and iq.

#4 Does he project as a SG or SF?

Sg, definitely.
Attack the rim, Derrick!
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#11 » by coutournant » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:34 am

To me he's potentially the best non-american SG to ever go in the NBA.
This position is not the best for NBA prospects in Europe historically : Manu is argentinian and Drazen died too young.
But some major prospect are coming from different countries for the next years : Hezonja, Mykhayliuk, Marc Garcia, Furkan Korkmaz, Luc Loubaki, while Evan Fournier is still very young.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#12 » by Rosque » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:49 am

coutournant wrote:To me he's potentially the best non-american SG to ever go in the NBA.
This position is not the best for NBA prospects in Europe historically : Manu is argentinian and Drazen died too young.
But some major prospect are coming from different countries for the next years : Hezonja, Mykhayliuk, Marc Garcia, Furkan Korkmaz, Luc Loubaki, while Evan Fournier is still very young.

First sentence is blasphemous. Dražen led his team to multiple medals before he was 19. He was putting 40+ points and 5+ assists like it was easiest thing to do. There is/was basketball outside NBA and that's where Draž makes his place as top euro SG, if not top 3 euro player ever.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#13 » by coutournant » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:05 pm

All apologies, but i was talking about NBA prospect, not FIBA. Drazen's carreer in NBA was bright but too short to be legend. Manu is ahead of him.
In Europe, Hezonja is far from being Petrovic for sure, I already know that. I didn't want to hurt anybody
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#14 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:05 am

I haven't seen much of him, but what he is good at right now? His three point percentages over the last couple of years are terrible, he seems not smart in the slightest, and his athleticism and creation don't really seem that great...
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#15 » by Novocaine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:16 am

Terrible? He shot 39% in the ACB this season (in 38 attempts). That's terrific for such a young player. And he's good at pretty much everything. Except at playing within a team concept but I think this season was humbling to him.

Hezonja is the best wing prospect out of Europe in a very long time. He just needs more minutes. I'm expecting him to play at least 20mpg for Barcelona next season.

Navarro/Olleson/Papanikolao/Hezonja/Abrines/(Santoransky/Huertas)

Ugh. Hopefully the Rockets sign Papanikolaou to open more minutes.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#16 » by Thespianoid » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Impacien wrote:Hezonja is the best wing prospect out of Europe in a very long time. He just needs more minutes. I'm expecting him to play at least 20mpg for Barcelona next season.

Navarro/Olleson/Papanikolao/Hezonja/Abrines/(Santoransky/Huertas)

Ugh. Hopefully the Rockets sign Papanikolaou to open more minutes.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ndpapaioannou/status/489550703556587520[/tweet]

Damn. No minutes for Hezonja again? I hope he moves up on the depth chart. As per Xavi Pascual, it seems like he's willing to give Mario more minutes? Or maybe just PR talk.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#17 » by Mr Sixer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:39 pm

He is going to be a Sixer, book it.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#18 » by Novocaine » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:12 am

Thespianoid wrote:Damn. No minutes for Hezonja again? I hope he moves up on the depth chart. As per Xavi Pascual, it seems like he's willing to give Mario more minutes? Or maybe just PR talk.

Not necessarily PR talk, I don't think he's being misleading or making use of mental reservation, rather just saying what he's supposed to say. At the end of the day, his job is to win games and developing Hezonja will be a very low priority as he'll likely lose him next Summer anyway.

Best case scenario is Hezonja leapfrogging Abrines and getting the massive majority of minutes whenever Papanikolao is off the court. I find that dubious: Abrines will still see minutes at the 3, he'll probably use some 3 guards line-ups with Sato/Huertas or Navarro/Oleson on the court simultaneously, then some situational big line-ups with Doellman at the 3.

The silver lining is that Hezonja will have to earn every minute of playing time he gets. That's what Pau Gasol did at his age and I think Hezonja has that type of talent. Time for him to step up and raise his game.
pohani komarac
Senior

Post#19 » by pohani komarac » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:59 pm

3 big dunks in this video from mario

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7dJUKdY3NA[/youtube]
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#20 » by MinneOOPalis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:59 pm

My favorite player from this draft. If Rubio doesn't work out with us I'm hoping for a future lineup of

Lavine
Hezonja
Wiggins
Bennett
Dieng

I'm guessing he will go to the Sixers though. They desperately need a SG and he's the best one in the draft by far.

Return to NBA Draft