Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#141 » by 165bows » Mon May 26, 2014 11:58 am

Dr Positivity wrote:For Sixers fans I wrote about the analytics-driven reasons why I think you guys might take Smart 3rd over Wiggins http://asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com/ ... w-wiggins/

The Kyle Anderson at 10 line of reasoning made sense. I believe Vonleh was a sixers fan growing up as well and he would also make sense for them, though maybe more so with a trade up or down.
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#142 » by The Prodigy » Mon May 26, 2014 2:34 pm

I think Smart's future in the league is at the two-guard spot. While his handle and playmaking would be below average for a PG, at the SG spot they would be a strength. On defense, he shouldn't have trouble with his wingspan and size.

I believe he's going to be a sold player in this league for a long time. The development of his jumper is what will determine whether he becomes an all-star caliber player or a solid role player.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,188

Post#143 » by cedric76 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:34 pm

I must be blind, I can't see why we shouldn't pick Smart.

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/videos/2014 ... ay-23-2014

3pt shot can easily be improved, the rest?? He has it all
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#144 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Tue May 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Choker wrote:Do people consider Smart athletic? I've seen it a couple of times in this thread. I mean yeah, I guess it's impressive that he's as stocky as he is and can relatively control his body well, but he doesn't really change speeds well or stop on a dime and shift his body to fake defenders out. He sort of just forces his way to the lane.

Whats ur point? Either way he gets to the lane. Lebron does the same thing. As soon as Smart gets drafted he will instantly be the strongest PG in the NBA, let that sit in 4 a bit ...why bother with euro steps when u can just drop ur shoulder for an easy layup or FTA against weaker defenders.

JR : Next Gen
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#145 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 5:16 pm

GhostX wrote:Whats ur point? Either way he gets to the lane. Lebron does the same thing. As soon as Smart gets drafted he will instantly be the strongest PG in the NBA, let that sit in 4 a bit ...why bother with euro steps when u can just drop ur shoulder for an easy layup or FTA against weaker defenders.

He gets to the lane, but so did Corey Maggette thanks to his monstrous strength.
Read on Twitter
cedric76
RealGM

Post#146 » by cedric76 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Choker wrote:
GhostX wrote:Whats ur point? Either way he gets to the lane. Lebron does the same thing. As soon as Smart gets drafted he will instantly be the strongest PG in the NBA, let that sit in 4 a bit ...why bother with euro steps when u can just drop ur shoulder for an easy layup or FTA against weaker defenders.

He gets to the lane, but so did Corey Maggette thanks to his monstrous strength.

Great for maggette but what does it have to do with Smart?
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#147 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 5:35 pm

cedric76 wrote:Great for maggette but what does it have to do with Smart?

Are people this dull. Maggette made a career out of mindlessly putting his head down and driving to the bucket. Not saying Smart is exactly like him but I don't see an ability for Smart to get into the lane other than forcing his way to the rim. I don't see an ability to shift from one side to the other or contort his body in difficult situations, which he'll face a lot more in the NBA. He just drives to the rim in a straight line.

Read on Twitter
cedric76
RealGM

Post#148 » by cedric76 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Choker wrote:

Are people this dull. Maggette made a career out of mindlessly putting his head down and driving to the bucket. Not saying Smart is exactly like him but I don't see an ability for Smart to get into the lane other than forcing his way to the rim. I don't see an ability to shift from one side to the other or contort his body in difficult situations, which he'll face a lot more in the NBA. He just drives to the rim in a straight line.

You lost me
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#149 » by The Prodigy » Tue May 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Choker wrote:

So you're bringing up an example of a player who made an NBA career out of it and somehow that's an argument against Smart. Not sure I follow.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#150 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 7:12 pm

The Prodigy wrote:So you're bringing up an example of a player who made an NBA career out of it and somehow that's an argument against Smart. Not sure I follow.

Being able to only get to the bucket in a linear fashion is not high praise. From what's supposed to be one of the top point guards in his class, he hasn't shown much ability to pass at a high level or shake his defender off.

Read on Twitter
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#151 » by The Prodigy » Tue May 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Choker wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:So you're bringing up an example of a player who made an NBA career out of it and somehow that's an argument against Smart. Not sure I follow.

Being able to only get to the bucket in a linear fashion is not high praise. From what's supposed to be one of the top point guards in his class, he hasn't shown much ability to pass at a high level or shake his defender off.

I agree with your larger point and would like to see a more diverse driving attack from Smart. I just thought bringing up Maggette's example, who made a long NBA career out of attacking the rim in a linear fashion as you put it, seemed to run counter to your argument. That's all.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#152 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

In the long run I'm just projecting Smart's best case scenario. He gets into the lane by his strength, but his strength isn't going to save him in most scenarios in the NBA. When he gets doubled or the defense converge on him, is he going to just barrel over two people? Wade in his prime when he can't use his strength in a similar situation has the ability to maneuver his body to split defenses or juke them out with his handles. I don't think Smart has the athleticism nor handles to do either, he just has his strength.

I'm not knocking his ability to get to the rim and draw fouls, but in those scenarios what are his alternatives or counters? I don't see him consistently punishing defenses by making sweet dish passes, and again he doesn't really have the handles to shake his defender off to create more room when he's driving into the paint.

My argument is more that Smart doesn't have anything else going for him aside from strength. Yeah he's quick but I don't think he's terribly quick. Quick for someone with his strength and bulk but he's just averagely quick in general imo. And his handles and vision are above average at best. When his strength can't save him what else does he have to fall on?

Read on Twitter
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#153 » by The Prodigy » Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Choker wrote:In the long run I'm just projecting Smart's best case scenario. He gets into the lane by his strength, but his strength isn't going to save him in most scenarios in the NBA. When he gets doubled or the defense converge on him, is he going to just barrel over two people? Wade in his prime when he can't use his strength in a similar situation has the ability to maneuver his body to split defenses or juke them out with his handles. I don't think Smart has the athleticism nor handles to do either, he just has his strength.

I'm not knocking his ability to get to the rim and draw fouls, but in those scenarios what are his alternatives or counters? I don't see him consistently punishing defenses by making sweet dish passes, and again he doesn't really have the handles to shake his defender off to create more room when he's driving into the paint.

My argument is more that Smart doesn't have anything else going for him aside from strength. Yeah he's quick but I don't think he's terribly quick. Quick for someone with his strength and bulk but he's just averagely quick in general imo. And his handles and vision are above average at best. When his strength can't save him what else does he have to fall on?

This is why I think he fits in best as a SG where he would be quicker and have better vision and handles than most players at the position. On the defensive end, he'd have the wingspan and strength to more than hold his own.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#154 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 27, 2014 7:53 pm

I used to be skeptical of the Stuckey comparison but now I'm warming up to it
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#155 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 pm

He kind of reminds me of Marcus Banks coming out of UNLV almost a decade ago.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#156 » by kdot99 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Choker wrote:

This statement helps Marcus Smart as Maggette was one of the top players in FTA/G in his prime years
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#157 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 9:01 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:He kind of reminds me of Marcus Banks coming out of UNLV almost a decade ago.

I was sort of thinking the same thing, but I don't remember how Banks was like. They both have very bulky bodies and Banks was an excellent one on one defender. He didn't play much but I remember it was difficult for most PGs to get past him because he was so strong and could keep anyone in front of him. At the very least Smart can be a great man defender himself.

Read on Twitter
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#158 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 9:04 pm

KRSN wrote:This statement helps Marcus Smart as Maggette was one of the top players in FTA/G in his prime years

Really depends on what you aspire of him. You'd want a top point guard prospect to play more like, say, Mike Conley than Rodney Stuckey.

Read on Twitter
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#159 » by kdot99 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Choker wrote:
KRSN wrote:This statement helps Marcus Smart as Maggette was one of the top players in FTA/G in his prime years

Really depends on what you aspire of him. You'd want a top point guard prospect to play more like, say, Mike Conley than Rodney Stuckey.

I'd disagree, the two top PG's at getting to the line in the league - Westbrook and Lowry - are similar to Smart in that they are not pure Point's but are effective at managing the offense. Smart is built similar in that he has the strength and ability to absorb contact at the rim, create and finish. The main challenge with Smart is can he run an NBA offense as a PG? You won't know until you try, and I can see him succeeding if he's under the right coach
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#160 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 pm

KRSN wrote:I'd disagree, the two top PG's at getting to the line in the league - Westbrook and Lowry - are similar to Smart in that they are not pure Point's but are effective at managing the offense. Smart is built similar in that he has the strength and ability to absorb contact at the rim, create and finish. The main challenge with Smart is can he run an NBA offense as a PG? You won't know until you try, and I can see him succeeding if he's under the right coach

Smart following Lowry's path would be a great trajectory for him. Lowry came in with no jumpshot and now he's one of the best shooters in the league. However the thing with Smart and those two guys though is that Westbrook has two more gears in his step that's so rarely attained by players, his explosiveness is just downright unfair. Smart, nor any other point guard aside from a healthy Rose and John Wall have that. And Lowry is really crafty with the ball, he utilizes head fakes and feigns his moves better than any Raptor player I've ever seen. You just never know what he's going to do. Lowry has the reputation of a bulldog but he has a Chris Paul like ability to telegraph what he's going to do, and then just do something else on the stop of a dime.

For the most part I see Smart just taking advantage of lanes that are open to him, not unlike Lowry who creates openings for himself with craftiness.

Read on Twitter

Return to NBA Draft