Shawn Marion Receiving Strong Push From Pacers As He Schedules More Meetings

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Shawn Marion Receiving Strong Push From Pacers As He Schedules More Meetings 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 5, 2014 9:00 pm

Shawn Marion, the best unrestricted free agent on the market, has received a strong push for a deal with the Indiana Pacers, a league source told RealGM.

Marion spent a half-day in Cleveland to meet with the Cavaliers on Monday, and he remains intrigued about the opportunity to join LeBron James and possibly Kevin Love – even on a veteran-minimum contract.

Marion has since left Cleveland and is scheduling further meetings with NBA teams, a source said.

The Pacers had reached out to Marion early in the July free agency, before signing C.J. Miles and Rodney Stuckey. In the wake of Paul George’s injury, Indiana has turned its attention to replenishing the wing position and several veteran scorers remain available, including Jordan Hamilton and Jordan Crawford.

For five seasons, Marion stabilized the Dallas Mavericks with a high-energy, durable and productive small forward – signified in a championship in 2011. He averaged 10.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.2 steals in 76 games last season.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Re: Shawn Marion Receiving Strong Push From Pacers As He Sch 

Post#2 » by EuroPacer » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:05 pm

Id love for Marion to join us, not sure he wants to sign though...
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#3 » by Chris3323 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:10 pm

I dont see him going to the pacers unless he wants to just paly 30 + minutes

At 36 years old, he needs to join a contender and win a championship then retire
fefe22
Senior
And1: 12

Post#4 » by fefe22 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:23 pm

Chris3323 wrote:I dont see him going to the pacers unless he wants to just paly 30 + minutes

At 36 years old, he needs to join a contender and win a championship then retire

If the Pacers recieve an injury exception for Paul George, that would open up full MLE level money to Marion though.

If the Pacers offer 10mill/2years, I don't see Marion chosing Clevelands vetaran minimum offer.
Dasein
Senior
And1: 447

Post#5 » by Dasein » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:35 pm

Why do the Pacers even want/need him they probably won't even make the playoffs this season. Marion should go to a contender.
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
xJumpManx
Junior
And1: 23

Post#6 » by xJumpManx » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:52 pm

fefe22 wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:I dont see him going to the pacers unless he wants to just paly 30 + minutes

If the Pacers recieve an injury exception for Paul George, that would open up full MLE level money to Marion though.

If the Pacers offer 10mill/2years, I don't see Marion chosing Clevelands vetaran minimum offer.

You can only use that for one year not 2.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#7 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:52 pm

Not sure why he'd want to play in Indy and possible end his career on a team that likely won't even make the playoffs.

Especially over a Cavs team who at the worst should be in the EC Finals.

Guess we will see what's more important to him, money and a ton of minutes, or competing and lesser minutes.
cmor42180
Senior
And1: 7

Post#8 » by cmor42180 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 11:29 pm

seriously, all of you count the team with the best record in the east completely out of it because they lost paul george? you can say lance stephenson but stuckey isnt really much of a downgrade so thats not going to kill them... the Pacers WILL be a playoff team, they wont be the best in the east like they should/could have been but they wont miss the playoffs so all you new Cav lovers need to get off your lebron bandwagon... are you guys also saying the heat wont make the playoffs because they lost lebron? same thing
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#9 » by Chris3323 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 11:40 pm

cmor42180 wrote:seriously, all of you count the team with the best record in the east completely out of it because they lost paul george? you can say lance stephenson but stuckey isnt really much of a downgrade so thats not going to kill them... the Pacers WILL be a playoff team, they wont be the best in the east like they should/could have been but they wont miss the playoffs so all you new Cav lovers need to get off your lebron bandwagon... are you guys also saying the heat wont make the playoffs because they lost lebron? same thing

They will be a playoff team but they just lost a top 5 player.

They will be a bit better then the lakers last season without kobe, but thats about it.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#10 » by miltk » Wed Aug 6, 2014 12:01 am

what can indy offer a player with a ring who is closing out his career, unless it's only about the money. he is merely doing due diligence - like when i want to buy a sony tv but i'll play with the panasonic remote while i'm waiting for them to bring the sony box to the floor.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#11 » by dballislife » Wed Aug 6, 2014 12:54 am

come on just do the smart thing and get a great top pick next year and wait for george to come back...this team wasn't gonna contend with him this year imo, though still a great team, now they wont even come close...doing stuff to improve now just loses more ping pong balls...be smart pacers
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
H E Pennypacker
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#12 » by H E Pennypacker » Wed Aug 6, 2014 1:08 am

fefe22 wrote:

Bird has said time and time again that they won't go into the luxury tax. I think their only like 1-2 million from the line right now.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Aug 6, 2014 1:52 am

miltk wrote:what can indy offer a player with a ring who is closing out his career, unless it's only about the money. he is merely doing due diligence - like when i want to buy a sony tv but i'll play with the panasonic remote while i'm waiting for them to bring the sony box to the floor.

It could just be about enjoying playing basketball. His roll would be much more significant in Indi. He already has a ring and there is no guarantee of another one no matter where he goes.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#14 » by crazymaso » Wed Aug 6, 2014 1:58 am

cmor42180 wrote:seriously, all of you count the team with the best record in the east completely out of it because they lost paul george? you can say lance stephenson but stuckey isnt really much of a downgrade so thats not going to kill them... the Pacers WILL be a playoff team, they wont be the best in the east like they should/could have been but they wont miss the playoffs so all you new Cav lovers need to get off your lebron bandwagon... are you guys also saying the heat wont make the playoffs because they lost lebron? same thing

The Pacers while having the best team in the East were not playing like the best team in the East last year. Losing PG = fighting for playoff spot unless Hibbert can turn his production around and become useful on the offensive end.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:32 am

A. Why would Marion want to go a non contender like the Pacers this year. He only has 1-2 years left MAX.
B. Why would the Pacers want his services to make the 8th seed at best in the East?
C. What are they willing pay him?
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#16 » by miltk » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:06 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
miltk wrote:what can indy offer a player with a ring who is closing out his career, unless it's only about the money. he is merely doing due diligence - like when i want to buy a sony tv but i'll play with the panasonic remote while i'm waiting for them to bring the sony box to the floor.

It could just be about enjoying playing basketball. His roll would be much more significant in Indi. He already has a ring and there is no guarantee of another one no matter where he goes.

but players are competitive and there's nothing more depressing and sapping of will than losing.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#17 » by LieCheatSteal » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:16 am

Pacers should take a year off, like San Antonio did before drafting Duncan. Then they get a high draft pick to help build around George and Hibbert. Move West and Hill while they still have value.
Two years from being two years away.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#18 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:09 am

LieCheatSteal wrote:Pacers should take a year off, like San Antonio did before drafting Duncan. Then they get a high draft pick to help build around George and Hibbert. Move West and Hill while they still have value.

pretty much
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#19 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:58 am

Calm down calm down, they could maybe get a high seed like 7-8 IF Hibbert learns to play basketball again. Pacers wouldn't have been the best in the East even with George, hell even if Stephenson stayed too. Heat still have 2 allstars and added another few decent pieces nor do they have to play Cleveland and Chicago so many times a year...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BallDontLie_
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#20 » by BallDontLie_ » Wed Aug 6, 2014 1:25 pm

So you really think Stuckey isn't much of a downgrade from Stephenson? I guess it was just a coincidence Stuckey got a one year contract for the minimum while the offer made towards Stephenson was 5 years/$44 million.

PG and Lance were pretty much the only playmakers on last year's Pacers team, I definitely think they'll have a very hard time this upcoming season.

Chicago, Cleveland, Miami, Toronto, Washington, Brooklyn, New York, Atlanta.. the Pacers could sneak in there somewhere but even if they make I expect a first round exit.

Return to Wiretap Discussion