ImageImageImageImageImage

Grunfeld a Great GM. Proves Doubters Wrong

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Re: Grunfeld a Great GM. Proves Doubters Wrong 

Post#1541 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:50 pm

If Temple can become a viable 3 and D player that does make him a legit asset.

Setting aside the 3s he has made, just looking at the number of attempts, obviously he and the coaching staff are comfortable with him shooting 3s. That tells me that he has making them a lot in practice.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#1542 » by Kanyewest » Wed Nov 5, 2014 7:08 pm

DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
tontoz wrote:How many 1st round picks from the 2011 draft aren't in the NBA now? EG picked 2 of them. Are there any more?

But Shelvin Mack is!
'

Right now, I'd go with Temple over Mack. Better defender, better athlete...maybe even a better shooter.

You don't have to tell me- I thought that he could potentially keep starting (assuming Beal still gets 33+ minutes coming off the bench) :D

Interestingly enough, Temple play as of late has been better than Kendall Marshall, Shaun Livingston, and Shelvin Mack. Still, a low sample size but I like that Temple has been knocking down the open 3s.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 365

Post#1543 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:02 pm

I've wanted Ernie gone the last 8 years of my life. I've been one of the biggest Ernie haters on this board. But based on current results, he is a top 15 GM. It's indisputable. Drafting Porter > Noel looks better and better every day. Beal and Wall are obvious. He's found good rotation players, and while Ves was a huge bust, every team has huge busts. If we win 50 games with a core that's all 24 or younger and an excellent cap situation and lots of cap flexibility, that is top notch GMing. Ernie might still revert to suckitude but RIGHT NOW, he's a B to B+ GM.

And if he gets Durant, he's a top 5 GM easy. Wall/Beal/Porter/Durant is a MULTIPLE ring core.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#1544 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:08 pm

Props to EG. SO FAR.

And Wittman while we're at it.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1545 » by Dat2U » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:08 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:I've wanted Ernie gone the last 8 years of my life. I've been one of the biggest Ernie haters on this board. But based on current results, he is a top 15 GM. It's indisputable. Drafting Porter > Noel looks better and better every day. Beal and Wall are obvious. He's found good rotation players, and while Ves was a huge bust, every team has huge busts. If we win 50 games with a core that's all 24 or younger and an excellent cap situation and lots of cap flexibility, that is top notch GMing. Ernie might still revert to suckitude but RIGHT NOW, he's a B to B+ GM.

And if he gets Durant, he's a top 5 GM easy. Wall/Beal/Porter/Durant is a MULTIPLE ring core.

I've always liked Porter but what's been wrong with Noel's performance? I saw him defending Dwight the other night and was really impressed with how he held his own. He certainly popped off the screen for me in terms of impact. I think he's going to be a really impactful player in time.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1546 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:23 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Chaos Revenant wrote:I've wanted Ernie gone the last 8 years of my life. I've been one of the biggest Ernie haters on this board. But based on current results, he is a top 15 GM. It's indisputable. Drafting Porter > Noel looks better and better every day. Beal and Wall are obvious. He's found good rotation players, and while Ves was a huge bust, every team has huge busts. If we win 50 games with a core that's all 24 or younger and an excellent cap situation and lots of cap flexibility, that is top notch GMing. Ernie might still revert to suckitude but RIGHT NOW, he's a B to B+ GM.

I've always liked Porter but what's been wrong with Noel's performance? I saw him defending Dwight the other night and was really impressed with how he held his own. He certainly popped off the screen for me in terms of impact. I think he's going to be a really impactful player in time.

It wouldn't shock me if someday "we" trade Porter for Noel - maybe in the Durant free agency offseason. Could Noel and Gortat play together?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#1547 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:42 pm

lol, "we."
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#1548 » by Kanyewest » Wed Nov 5, 2014 9:13 pm

Dat2U wrote:

In time maybe. Still needs to work on those boards though. While he did limit Howard offensively he still needs to a better job on the boards- as he only had 1 rebound in the entire game.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1549 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 11:06 pm

milellie111 wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:
milellie111 wrote:3-1 and off to a great start at the beginning of the season. Team is playing great. Free agent signings are looking as promised and this is one of the deepest teams in the league. A good year is in store for Wizards fans.

Welcome back, Milellie!

Look, dude, let me give you some lessons on trolling that you can use from this point forward.

1. You can't just troll this thread (or the various 100s of others that talk about Grunfeld, the GM.) You have to expand your horizons. For instance, start trolling the random thoughts thread. Put things unreleated to basketball in there and tie it to your man.

2. Examples:

a. If there is ever some big good news story -- trapped miners are rescued, etc -- post a link to the news story with your commentary: "Chilean miners were rescued from certain death. Who to thank? Grunfeld. (and attach a nice pic of Ernie)."

b Post a youtube cute cat video. "Cats are cute! Who gets credit for that? Grunfeld."

c. [In the politics section] "Congress just passed this great bill. Who to thank? Grunfeld."

d. Hey they're opening a new hipster bar in Chinatown. Who to thank? Yeah, you know who."

The idea is to bring your unique and special Ernie message to all corners of the board. This strategy will make you *even more* popular with board members and ensure that we -- the small but committed band of Wizards loyalists on RealGM -- will ultimately join you in praising the basketball genius that is Ernie Grunfeld.

Go Wizards!!!

:nod:

Thanks sir. However, no trolling here. It just baffles me how still some on this board are sour over ownership when they have been rewarded with the best possible scenario a fan can possibly imagine:

-Competitive playoff run last year

-Retaining important pieces in offseason

-Signing important pieces via free agency to friendly salary deals

-Revelopment of current rookies who are producing

-Retention of coaching staff

-3-1 record and one of the top teams in the conference

-Commitment to improving and winning

-Superb handling of the teams financial situation going forward

What more can you ask for? To me, trolling is continuing to acknowledge these facts, yet still demanding for Grunfeld to be fired. I'm just saying he is still proving doubters wrong.

You haven't figure out why yet ?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1550 » by Nivek » Wed Nov 5, 2014 11:11 pm

milellie111 wrote:Thanks sir. However, no trolling here. It just baffles me how still some on this board are sour over ownership when they have been rewarded with the best possible scenario a fan can possibly imagine:

Not sour here, but "best possible scenario a fan can possibly imagine"? Umm...what? I can imagine MUCH better scenarios than what's on the plate for the Wizards.

But, it's fun to see the Wizards win and to imagine them being one of the top teams in the conferences. Like most fans of the team, I'm hoping they'll continue to play this well when they start facing better teams.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1551 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 11:12 pm

tontoz wrote:How many 1st round picks from the 2011 draft aren't in the NBA now? EG picked 2 of them. Are there any more?

Is that the most important thing or the fact we have a good team ?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1552 » by LyricalRico » Wed Nov 5, 2014 11:31 pm

tontoz wrote:If Temple can become a viable 3 and D player that does make him a legit asset.

Setting aside the 3s he has made, just looking at the number of attempts, obviously he and the coaching staff are comfortable with him shooting 3s. That tells me that he has making them a lot in practice.

milellie111
Pro Prospect
And1: 245

Post#1553 » by milellie111 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:45 am

Nivek wrote:
milellie111 wrote:Thanks sir. However, no trolling here. It just baffles me how still some on this board are sour over ownership when they have been rewarded with the best possible scenario a fan can possibly imagine:

Not sour here, but "best possible scenario a fan can possibly imagine"? Umm...what? I can imagine MUCH better scenarios than what's on the plate for the Wizards.

But, it's fun to see the Wizards win and to imagine them being one of the top teams in the conferences. Like most fans of the team, I'm hoping they'll continue to play this well when they start facing better teams.

What do you not currently like about this team?
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
hands11
Banned User

Post#1554 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 2:10 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
tontoz wrote:If Temple can become a viable 3 and D player that does make him a legit asset.

In SAS style, we found us a DL player and grown them. I said this several time in the past, it a lot easier to develop players if 1) you have a solid team for them to develop with and b) the player puts in the work

To the Wizards credit, they stuck with him. His 2012/13 year was good and they stuck with him even though 2013 wasn't the break out 3 pt shooting year they wanted from him.

So is SG set with him and Beal and whatever name you want to throw in the ring as a 3rd option ?

He has proven twice now that he can step in for Beal when he is injured.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#1555 » by TGW » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:39 pm

Nivek wrote:

See my sig, Nivek. And then you'll understand who you're dealing with. :)
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#1556 » by dckingsfan » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:47 pm

milellie111 wrote:
Nivek wrote:

Your thread title, "Grunfeld a Great GM..." was best refuted here: viewtopic.php?p=41217193#p41217193

Do not equate the dislike of EG to be equal to dislike of the team. There are many on this board that love the Wiz and disdain the terrible moves of EG previously.

Go Wiz!
Can't wait for the EG firing!
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#1557 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:16 pm

I still want EG gone but I must say its nice to see the team develop before our very eyes
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1558 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:27 pm

DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

But Shelvin Mack is!
'
Right now, I'd go with Temple over Mack. Better defender, better athlete...maybe even a better shooter.

Temple has had an incredible beginning to the season, and I'm happy for him. And Shelvin Mack is on another team, and I don't care about him.

Still, your post is irrelevant Zards -- the point was wasting assets, something Ernie has done to an extraordinary degree.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
milellie111
Pro Prospect

Post#1559 » by milellie111 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:37 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
milellie111 wrote:
Nivek wrote:

Your thread title, "Grunfeld a Great GM..." was best refuted here: viewtopic.php?p=41217193#p41217193

Do not equate the dislike of EG to be equal to dislike of the team. There are many on this board that love the Wiz and disdain the terrible moves of EG previously.

Go Wiz!
Can't wait for the EG firing!

How can you love the team and its recent success yet hate the guy who is responsible for it all? Doesn't make much sense. Like it or not, Grunfeld is responsible for this roster and the current state of affairs for the Wizards. Sure, he's made bad moves in the past but all GM's do. Grunfeld is no different. He can't forsee the future.

It doesn't really matter what he's given up to get this franchise to where it is now. Some GM's may have gone different routes, however as long as the end result is the same I have no problem with that. Sure, many were sour during the dark ages including me, but it's been time to let go of those feelings and recognize that there always was a plan whether we knew it or not, on our timetable or not. The Wizards would be #1 in the East if the playoffs started today. What more you want from a GM? I can at least back up my assertions with cold hard facts.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
milellie111
Pro Prospect

Post#1560 » by milellie111 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:40 pm

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
But Shelvin Mack is!
'

Temple has had an incredible beginning to the season, and I'm happy for him. And Shelvin Mack is on another team, and I don't care about him.

Still, your post is irrelevant Zards -- the point was wasting assets, something Ernie has done to an extraordinary degree.

Wasting assets? Why look in the past if the future is now and bright? Who cares about "wasted" assets and if they would have panned out anyway. Look at what Ernie has brought us now.
Would you grill one of your employees for wasting $100 if he gained you $1000?!
TGW = Troll Gone Wild

Return to Washington Wizards