And1: 1,877

Re: Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by crazy_me_87 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Pro:
Skill & Feel for the Game wise he is outstanding for his age
Solid Ball Handler, great Passer(like really great) for his Size
Really Strong, has already an NBA Body

Con:
Hard to Tell how Athletic he is, hes a good athlete but is he "elite"?
Jump shot is not broken, but not great right now
Seems to be a bit passive at times

Floor/Worst Case:Boris Diaw
Realistic expectation: A borderline All Star who puts up 16/6/4 as a second or third option
Absolute Ceiling: Grant Hill/T-Mac Hybrid
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:05 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:Absolute Ceiling: Grant Hill/T-Mac Hybrid

going to go ahead and say that this is absolutely impossible, he looks more comfortable as a secondary ballhandler alla Diaw than as a main focal point of offense, his offtheball play is a strength of his also.
He looks clearly like a PF, I can see him being a Diaw/Draymond Green type of guy, not really a star.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#4 » by Marcus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:00 am

Fischella wrote:

going to go ahead and say that this is absolutely impossible, he looks more comfortable as a secondary ballhandler alla Diaw than as a main focal point of offense, his offtheball play is a strength of his also.
He looks clearly like a PF, I can see him being a Diaw/Draymond Green type of guy, not really a star.

yeah the T-Mac thing i never really got. Grant Hill i can see a little but the T-Mac comp might be better reserved for Josh Jackson
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#5 » by Avalanche » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcMJy6ZvGY[/youtube]
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#6 » by EMG518 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:05 am

Marcus wrote:
Fischella wrote:

yeah the T-Mac thing i never really got. Grant Hill i can see a little but the T-Mac comp might be better reserved for Josh Jackson

I dont see the Tmac comp for Josh Jackson at all. As far as Simmons goes, based off of highlights on youtube he looks like a less athletic Blake Griffin.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,768

Post#7 » by Upperclass » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Not the best mix ive ever seen.. but something about him. Seems "special".. vision, handle etc
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#8 » by Zombiesonics » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:50 pm

josh jackson is a freaking stud. I have no clue who he reminds me of, but has the look of an all nba shooting guard. Maybe a more talented terrence ross?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm

EMG518 wrote:As far as Simmons goes, based off of highlights on youtube he looks like a less athletic Blake Griffin.

how so?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#10 » by Avalanche » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Upperclass wrote:Not the best mix ive ever seen.. but something about him. Seems "special".. vision, handle etc

In fairness, that clip is only from his first 2 games of the season

but he is going to be something special, for sure
crazy_me_87
Analyst

Post#11 » by crazy_me_87 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:25 pm

I think Simmons has all the "tools" of a superstar but we dont know if he has the mentality of one

he seems passive at times... seems to lack a real scorer instinct.. so far he scores because he is by far the best player he plays against... needs to be seen if he can be a No1 Option

the "talent" seems to be there

Fluid,good athlete,strong for his age,solid handle,good passer,solid jumpshot

I have to take back the T-Mac comp though.. everytime i see him i think more and more of a Grant Hill/Paul Pierce cross
sircreate
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#12 » by sircreate » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:55 am

I don't think your going to have to worry too much about him lacking a scorers instinct in this coming season, he was partnered with some very good seniors in his previous two seasons and took a step back, but this year its all on him

Watched both games to start the season for Montverde on there streaming site and he was really showing a killer instinct.. only time he wasnt looking to score was when he was playing PG which he did a fair bit(it's almost criminal the length of the line up when Simmons was PG..there shortest player on the court was 6'9 EJ Montgomery and tallest 7'4 Kourmadge)

Kid's still gotta work on his jumper tho, only thing really holding him back now
crazy_me_87
Analyst

Post#13 » by crazy_me_87 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 pm

sircreate wrote:I don't think your going to have to worry too much about him lacking a scorers instinct in this coming season, he was partnered with some very good seniors in his previous two seasons and took a step back, but this year its all on him

Watched both games to start the season for Montverde on there streaming site and he was really showing a killer instinct.. only time he wasnt looking to score was when he was playing PG which he did a fair bit(it's almost criminal the length of the line up when Simmons was PG..there shortest player on the court was 6'9 EJ Montgomery and tallest 7'4 Kourmadge)

Kid's still gotta work on his jumper tho, only thing really holding him back now

If that Holds up.. and he shows a conistent scorers mentality and Killer Instinct while staying unselfish and making the right play...

Oh boy.. we could have something really special here
His jumper will come.. its not broken so that will improve with time
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#14 » by splendidham » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:05 pm

He looks a legit 6'10 now if you go by this pic
http://twitter.com/australianbball/stat ... 04/photo/1
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Marcus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:58 pm

splendidham wrote:He looks a legit 6'10 now if you go by this pic
http://twitter.com/australianbball/stat ... 04/photo/1

yeah that's pretty scary considering the skillset that comes with it.
Watch More Basketball

splendidham
Sophomore

Post#16 » by splendidham » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Also, and it's a small sample size, but over the first 3 games he has had 34, 37 and 27 . Looks like he's trying to be more assertive. Some pretty athletic looking dunks in those games, too. Particularly liked how quickly he got up for one put back dunk over an opponent after he had missed his own lay up. It all happened so quick, at first I thought it was one of his teammates coming over the top. He may not be at the same level as Blake Griffin or Lebron in terms of leaping ability but to say he lacks hops is absurd. He can clearly jump.
crazy_me_87
Analyst

Post#17 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 6:31 pm

splendidham wrote:Also, and it's a small sample size, but over the first 3 games he has had 34, 37 and 27 . Looks like he's trying to be more assertive. Some pretty athletic looking dunks in those games, too. Particularly liked how quickly he got up for one put back dunk over an opponent after he had missed his own lay up. It all happened so quick, at first I thought it was one of his teammates coming over the top. He may not be at the same level as Blake Griffin or Lebron in terms of leaping ability but to say he lacks hops is absurd. He can clearly jump.

may i ask where to find those stats?
splendidham
Sophomore

Post#18 » by splendidham » Tue Dec 2, 2014 3:58 am

I follow montverde on Twitter as well as a bunch of Australian basketball twitters. I'd love to know where to get his full stats too. Anyway, I can refer you to them if you like. Also he followed up those 3 games with a near triple double. 30p, 13r and 9a
splendidham
Sophomore

Post#19 » by splendidham » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:05 am

37 points and 18 rebounds today as well as this nice little play

http://youtu.be/xjjccjNUbIU
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#20 » by mattg » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:09 am

He looks more fluid/smoother athletically than he did the past 2 years. I used to think he was firmly a PF going forward but I could see SF if his shot comes around.

Return to NBA Draft