Lance Stephenson Receiving Trade Interest, But Hopes To Remain Part Of Hornets' Turnaround

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Lance Stephenson Receiving Trade Interest, But Hopes To Remain Part Of Hornets' Turnaround 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Lance Stephenson has garnered fresh trade inquiries into the Charlotte Hornets’ front office recently and wouldn’t be opposed to a potential move to the Brooklyn Nets, but hopes to remain part of and succeed in his three-year partnership with the Hornets, league sources told RealGM.

Four to five NBA teams have shown a strong interest to the Hornets on Stephenson, but no deal is imminent, Stephenson has made clear his desire to propel a turnaround and both sides believe there’s still room to salvage a productive relationship and run with the franchise, sources told RealGM.

In 21 games this season, Stephenson has averaged 10.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 34 minutes per game. He has shot career lows from the field (38.7 percent), three-point range (16 percent) and free throw line (67 percent).

Even so, the 6-foot-5 guard has become increasingly comfortable in Charlotte — playing his best basketball of the season so far in December, averaging 16.3 points, six rebounds and 4.3 assists for a 2-1 record.

As a native of Brooklyn, New York, Stephenson attended Lincoln High School in Coney Island. Privately, Stephenson, 24, has unconditional affection for the city and hopes to play for the Nets in the borough at some point in his career.

After a summer headlined by the acquisition of Stephenson to a three-year, $24.04 million deal, the Hornets have gone 6-15 this season under a blend of regression from core players, a return to the bottom tier in points allowed per game after finishing fourth behind Chicago, Indiana and Memphis in 2013-14, and fluctuating trust in the locker room.

As a key contributor toward three consecutive playoff appearances and two in the Eastern Conference Finals, Stephenson found his niche in the league and averaged nearly 14 points, seven rebounds and five assists for the Pacers a season ago. He is in his fifth NBA season out of the University of Cincinnati.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Lance Stephenson Receiving Trade Interest, But Hopes To  

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:39 pm

That escalated quickly..
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:41 pm

The Hornets need to address their lack of perimeter shooting/scoring. At 6-15, they can play .500 basketball and likely make the playoffs but I personally, dont like their backcourt rotation.
RayClayMatthews
Banned User
And1: 266

Post#4 » by RayClayMatthews » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:15 pm

If they can get Joe Johnson for Lance and a few other pieces they could be a hell of a team.

Kemba
JJ
MKG
Willams or Byombo
Al Jeff

and then let the youth back them up
Robert
Hairston
Vonleh
SlobbaN
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#5 » by SlobbaN » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:32 pm

RayClayMatthews wrote:If they can get Joe Johnson for Lance and a few other pieces they could be a hell of a team.

Kemba
JJ
MKG
Willams or Byombo
Al Jeff

Robert
Hairston
Vonleh

Yep, they have 1,5 players who can shoot 3 well.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#6 » by Donnyxc » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Here's to hoping they don't pull the plug on him too early.

Would make this song, and Lance's remix irrelevant.

"me and kemba in the backcourt, you dead meat".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLAmP5yTmw

Hilarious.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:47 pm

RayClayMatthews wrote:If they can get Joe Johnson for Lance and a few other pieces they could be a hell of a team.

Kemba
JJ
MKG
Willams or Byombo
Al Jeff

Robert
Hairston
Vonleh

Only if you ignore the fact that Johnson is an average 3 point shooter and primary plays in the mid/low post now and his skills are fading the Bobcats would be committing salary cap suicide just to chase the 8th seed for 2 years as that's still wouldn't be a very good team on paper.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:27 pm

The_Hater wrote: Only if you ignore the fact that Johnson is an average 3 point shooter and primary plays in the mid/low post now and his skills are fading the Bobcats would be committing salary cap suicide just to chase the 8th seed for 2 years as that's still wouldn't be a very good team on paper.

Not saying that would be a good trade, but not feeling your reasons. Johnson shot over 40% from 3 last year on 5.6 attempts, and even if that comes done to 36% or so that's a very useful volume 3 shooter. And he's only under contract for this year and next; with the Hornets already capped out this year and with $65m already tied up for next year (cap is projected at $66-70m), it's not like he'd not destroying a great cap situation.

With that said, the real problem is that he's not a huge talent upgrade, and that the lux tax would be looming.
RayClayMatthews
Banned User
And1: 266

Post#9 » by RayClayMatthews » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:45 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Kemba
JJ
MKG
Willams or Byombo
Al Jeff

Robert
Hairston
Vonleh

Only if you ignore the fact that Johnson is an average 3 point shooter and primary plays in the mid/low post now and his skills are fading the Bobcats would be committing salary cap suicide just to chase the 8th seed for 2 years as that's still wouldn't be a very good team on paper.

your name fits you!
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Has Stephenson earned the right to be opposed to a trade?.... I think not.

Part of their turnaround? Uhh, they were heading up before he got there. I'd say he's already been an integral part of their "turnaround."
The_Hater

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:59 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
The_Hater wrote: Only if you ignore the fact that Johnson is an average 3 point shooter and primary plays in the mid/low post now and his skills are fading the Bobcats would be committing salary cap suicide just to chase the 8th seed for 2 years as that's still wouldn't be a very good team on paper.

Not saying that would be a good trade, but not feeling your reasons. Johnson shot over 40% from 3 last year on 5.6 attempts, and even if that comes done to 36% or so that's a very useful volume 3 shooter. And he's only under contract for this year and next; with the Hornets already capped out this year and with $65m already tied up for next year (cap is projected at $66-70m), it's not like he'd not destroying a great cap situation.

With that said, the real problem is that he's not a huge talent upgrade, and that the lux tax would be looming.

Johnson shot well from 3 last year but that looks like an aberration as it was only the 2nd time in his career (and the first time in almost 10 years) he shot over 40%. He's closer to 35% this year and just above 37% for his career. I'm not saying he's a bad shooter but those are fairly average rates from the arc. Maybe slightly above average as I think the league average is in the 37% area.

Your point on balancing the Hornet's attack is a good one. They definitely need more floor spacing and JJ would provide that much better than Lance but they'd still have MKG, Walker and Henderson out there bricking 3's. I just don't think that would be a very wise trade for them when you start considering age and salary. They would find much better trades to balance their team.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Has Stephenson earned the right to be opposed to a trade?.... I think not.

Part of their turnaround? Uhh, they were heading up before he got there. I'd say he's already been an integral part of their "turnaround."

Just wondering why Kemba Walker seems to get a free pass in all this? He signed a contract worth $5-6 million more per season than Lance, plays far worse defense and is shooting just as poorly.

This isn't an endorsement for Lance, he's played terrible but Walker should be buying Stephenson dinner every night for all the bullets he's taken for him. Walker's being paid superstar money and playing worse than just about every backup PG in the league.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#13 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Johnson for Stephenson make sense for both teams. Both would be better fits on different teams. Also JJ is still a great player, one year removed from being an All Star and being the best player on the Nets last year. For some reason, he's not clicking well in Hollins' new structure. If you made him the alpha dog in Charlotte, he would excel.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#14 » by luss54321 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:39 pm

macgyver893 wrote:Johnson for Stephenson make sense for both teams. Both would be better fits on different teams. Also JJ is still a great player, one year removed from being an All Star and being the best player on the Nets last year. For some reason, he's not clicking well in Hollins' new structure. If you made him the alpha dog in Charlotte, he would excel.

It's not Hollins. It's being 33 years old.

Why would any GM or owner want to pay Joe Johnson 48 million over 2 years? I literally can't imagine a single scenario where this is a good idea.

Trading for Joe Johnson "makes sense" for 0/29 teams in the NBA
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#15 » by inquisitive » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:25 am

talented player, but just not wired correctly
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,459

Post#16 » by KembaWalker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:38 am

The_Hater wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Has Stephenson earned the right to be opposed to a trade?.... I think not.

Just wondering why Kemba Walker seems to get a free pass in all this? He signed a contract worth $5-6 million more per season than Lance, plays far worse defense and is shooting just as poorly.

This isn't an endorsement for Lance, he's played terrible but Walker should be buying Stephenson dinner every night for all the bullets he's taken for him. Walker's being paid superstar money and playing worse than just about every backup PG in the league.

Kemba Walker is making 3.2 million dollars, Lance Stephenson is making $9 million
PDX_DL0
Senior
And1: 54

Post#17 » by PDX_DL0 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:51 am

Donnyxc wrote:Here's to hoping they don't pull the plug on him too early.

Would make this song, and Lance's remix irrelevant.

"me and kemba in the backcourt, you dead meat".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLAmP5yTmw

Hilarious.

:lol:
"coaches are irrelevant in todays nba" - captlopez0012
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:11 am

The_Hater wrote:

Not sure if you have the $ right but I agree, Kemba shouldn't get a pass The article was about Lance so my comments were as well.
The_Hater

Post#19 » by The_Hater » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:57 am

KembaWalker wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Kemba Walker is making 3.2 million dollars, Lance Stephenson is making $9 million

Well played Kemba. But let's not ignore the $48 million he has coming these next 4 seasons.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#20 » by Fresh360Waves » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:26 am

Keep Lance.

Jeff Green/Bass for MKG/Henderson/Biyombo?

Return to Wiretap Discussion