Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Re: From General Board 

Post#41 » by mttwlsn16 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:35 am

Ranma wrote:
funkatron101 wrote:Yeesh....

Here is a concept I came up with a while back.

These are awesome!
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Rebranding Underway 

Post#42 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:49 am

I guess public opinion against the leaked redesign has the organization possibly reconsidering or backing away from the commitment.

Arash Markazi, ESPN Los Angeles (4/17/15)
Early designs of two of the Clippers’ proposed new uniforms were posted online by Paul Lukas of ESPN.com and Uni Watch. The redesign, however, is still in the early stages and team sources cautioned that the leaked images were simply two of many options being looked at.

“Of course I’ve seen it but I haven’t really looked at it,” Doc Rivers said Friday when asked about the possible new uniforms. “I don’t mind change. I think change is good.”

Sources: Clippers Looking to Rebrand in Offseason
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Cubbies and Pistons Similarities 

Post#43 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:42 am

MartinToVaught wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/563511077456318466[/tweet]

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

My Problem with Leaked ClipArt 

Post#44 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:58 am

I'm not feeling the images of the leaked redesign despite the fact that I like going away from "LAC", which I've always felt was a Laker "K" short of the subliminal "LACK". I'm not opposed to the red, white, and blue on black since I actually had a Clippers hat like that in high school, but the direction and mock-ups are wanting since they neither incorporate elements of the team's past by referencing previous logos nor utilize the nautical theme for which the team's name is based upon.

During a discussion with a friend of mine, he proposed the notion of the "C" surrounding LA as representing the Clippers "ruling" or "taking over" Los Angeles, but it seems forced to me and implies that we've already accomplished something (we haven't yet), which plays into the arrogance and cockiness the team has been accused of recently. I guess the "CLA" can also be interpreted as "See L.A.", however, it presents inconsistent messaging. The caption from the mock-up states that the "C" stands for "City" as in "City of Los Angeles", which puts the emphasis more on the city instead of the team, whereas Ballmer was adamant about not changing the Clippers team name since it now means something as he was trying to position it as America's team. How can we be America's team when the city takes precedence over the team name in the secondary logo?

I understand differentiating from the other L.A. teams' logos and I actually welcome that approach, but the direction has to have a more unifying and consistent purpose. I'm all for simple but this seems overly so and doesn't distill the essence of the team nor represent a purpose/direction. Ballmer should take more of the Apple approach to design rather than relying on his Microsoft instincts as illustrated in the video below. The whole undertaking seems misguided and to be heading in a wrong direction or lacking one, really.

In contrast, the recent makeover of the Bucks' brand identity by the design firm Doubleday & Cartwright seems to hit on all marks. How can Milwaukee outdo Los Angeles when it comes to design and branding?! It just seems more thought and care were taken with the Bucks' approach than whatever the Clippers are doing.

funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#45 » by funkatron101 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:50 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:
These are awesome!

Thanks!

This was one of my earlier concepts, but I decided on the ship because the anchor seemed redundant with the secondary logo (which happens to be my favorite). Plus I wanted to reduce the color palette.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
kylem4711
Sixth Man
And1: 518

Post#46 » by kylem4711 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:59 pm

funkatron101 wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
These are awesome!

Thanks!

This was one of my earlier concepts, but I decided on the ship because the anchor seemed redundant with the secondary logo (which happens to be my favorite). Plus I wanted to reduce the color palette.

love your concepts. feel free to do more clipper designs anytime. :nod:
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Re: Clippers getting a new logo next year? 

Post#47 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:40 am

funkatron's logos are by far the best I've seen- you should contact the Clippers- maybe they would even compensate you
kylem4711
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by kylem4711 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 am

i sent the design to a couple clipper employees and referenced funkatron's photobucket. I figured it couldn't hurt.
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#49 » by funkatron101 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:07 am

kylem4711 wrote:love your concepts. feel free to do more clipper designs anytime. :nod:

Thanks! I actually have another one that I did years prior that I had forgotten about. Less of an overhaul, more of an update. Kinda "meh," but It seemed like something most Clippers fans would accept as it's not such a jarring rebranding.

Given that I haven't seen one Clippers fan (or NBA fan for that matter) give the rumored logo and jersey any praise, I really hope it is not final. You deserve better.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#50 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 am

funkatron101 wrote:
kylem4711 wrote:love your concepts. feel free to do more clipper designs anytime. :nod:

Thanks! I actually have another one that I did years prior that I had forgotten about. Less of an overhaul, more of an update. Kinda "meh," but It seemed like something most Clippers fans would accept as it's not such a jarring rebranding.

Given that I haven't seen one Clippers fan (or NBA fan for that matter) give the rumored logo and jersey any praise, I really hope it is not final. You deserve better.

These are cool too. Those first ones you posted are crazy dope though imo.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#51 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:10 pm

those joints by funkatron are hot
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#52 » by Forte IV » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:17 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/590166691012677632[/tweet]
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#53 » by funkatron101 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:19 pm

Forte IV wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/590166691012677632[/tweet]

Geez, the designer could even get the colors consistent.

The red road jersey
The LA is: C: 0, M:90, Y:50, K:0
The jersey is: C:10, M:90, Y:99, K:2

It is a very bland and uninspired set. Nothing about it conveys "Edge" and "Youth."

This rivals OKC as the worst rebranding in the NBA.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#54 » by mkwest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:25 pm

I hope the Clippers abandon ship on the current plan.

Uni Watch Exclusive: More Clippers Leaks

On Friday I posted some Clippers leaks. That prompted a new source to come forward with some additional materials connected to the team’s upcoming redesign.

As you’ll recall, the images I posted on Friday appeared to be from a rebranding proposal prepared by a design firm. I’ve now acquired that entire proposal. Here it is

Now, you might be saying, “Okay, so somebody proposed this design. But are the Clippers really using it?” Several different sources have confirmed to me that they are. And one of those sources came up with something more official than the design proposal: the team’s new logo style sheet. Take a look:

Paul Lukas, Uni Watch
Ranma
RealGM

From Clippers TopBuzz 

Post#55 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Someone from Clippers TopBuzz supposedly received an emailed response from Gillian Zucker regarding the leaked logo and uniform changes:

realbull17 wrote:I've spoken to Ms. Zucker via email.. She is aware of the leaked prototype design. She doesn't want this to be a distraction. She wants fans to support our team & achieve the goal of getting a title. She also said they will look at all other designs in the summer (but not now).
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#56 » by mkwest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Very nice work funkatron. I don't think anybody would be upset with those.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/590189935556227072[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/590190438805540864[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/590192442709794816[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#57 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:45 pm

I now have a little hope that those wont be the design.

I really really like funk's stuff though.

Am I the only one that hates the middle of our home floor?
brb cursive words.
lmao….I want something much cooler there.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#58 » by funkatron101 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:00 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I now have a little hope that those wont be the design.

I really really like funk's stuff though.

Am I the only one that hates the middle of our home floor?
brb cursive words.
lmao….I want something much cooler there.

Thanks! I suppose you guys could get the word out, but I know that sports teams don't take unsolicited concepts. It can be a very tight-knit group of designers that work on most of these. If you don't know someone, you'll never get your foot in the door.

The fact that I have shown them publicly actually works against me. :(
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#59 » by Forte IV » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Can we all please spam Gillian and everyone else funkatron's deisgns
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
kylem4711
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by kylem4711 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:02 pm

whats her email

Return to Los Angeles Clippers