[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Around the NFL

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Around the NFL 

Post#21 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 pm

The latest on ex-Redskin Colt Brennan:

Quarterback Colt Brennan, signed by the Los Angeles Kiss of the Arena Football League, said he has been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury, jeopardizing his playing career.

http://msn.foxsports.com/west/story/col ... ury-030714

Apparently he was in a car accident a couple years ago, but is just now being diagnosed with this particular injury. Here's hoping he puts his health before football and enjoys a good quality of life.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#22 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Wow! DeSean Jackson cut outright! They would rather let a guy who is in his prime and coming off possibly his best season go for nothing in return (not to mention eating $6M in dead cap money) than try to make it work or wait it out to see if they can get something for him. Alleged gang ties aside, that dude must be a COMPLETE jerk.

Edited to add: Forget everything I said - welcome to DC! :D
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#23 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 5, 2014 2:28 pm

Jeez, Kaepernick getting WAY overpaid on his new reported deal. But maybe not?

This year, the salary cap went up by $10 million per team. Next year, it could go up even more. Ditto for the following year. The upper limit of the quarterback market, already at $20 million when the cap was $123 million per year, also will go up as the cap increases.

Soon, the high-water mark will be $25 million per year. Eventually, it will be $30 million. By next year or 2016 at the latest, Kaepernick’s deal (whatever the truth is) could be viewed as a bargain for the 49ers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... en-higher/

Kind of scares me about what Danny Boy's gonna give RG3...maybe first $200M deal? :o
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#24 » by verbal8 » Mon Jun 9, 2014 2:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Jeez, Kaepernick getting WAY overpaid on his new reported deal. But maybe not?

This year, the salary cap went up by $10 million per team. Next year, it could go up even more. Ditto for the following year. The upper limit of the quarterback market, already at $20 million when the cap was $123 million per year, also will go up as the cap increases.

Soon, the high-water mark will be $25 million per year. Eventually, it will be $30 million. By next year or 2016 at the latest, Kaepernick’s deal (whatever the truth is) could be viewed as a bargain for the 49ers.

Kind of scares me about what Danny Boy's gonna give RG3...maybe first $200M deal? :o

The Kaepernick deal actually is a pretty good model for what RG3 should get. A lot of money, but very little of it guarranteed. The Kaepernick deal is basically set-up so the team can walk away from it at any point.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#25 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:07 pm

verbal8 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Jeez, Kaepernick getting WAY overpaid on his new reported deal. But maybe not?

The Kaepernick deal actually is a pretty good model for what RG3 should get. A lot of money, but very little of it guarranteed. The Kaepernick deal is basically set-up so the team can walk away from it at any point.

Yeah, as the structure has come out, it looks better and better.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#26 » by LyricalRico » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 pm

From WireTap:

The New England Patriots have traded Logan Mankins to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a draft pick and Tim Wright.

Mankins is a six-time Pro Bowler at guard.

Mankins will count $4 million against the Patriots' salary cap in 2014 and another $4 million in 2015.

The Buccaneers have been searching for an upgrade at left guard.

At first I was like "man, couldn't the Skins have gotten in on that"? But then I remember it's the Patriots, and if they're eating an $8M total cap hit to move the guy, then he might be done.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#27 » by LyricalRico » Fri Sep 5, 2014 4:11 pm

Bump for the new season.

Umm...Seattle? Yeah, they're still really good. :D

They may actually be the ones to break the streak of Super Bowl winners not winning playoff games the following year, and could possibly repeat if they keep playing like they did last night.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#28 » by LyricalRico » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:33 pm

After months of backing, it only took a few hours of backlash from the video of Ray Rice punching his wife in the face for them to draw the line.

The Ravens announced they had terminated the contract of the star running back, who still had one game of suspension left.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ?cid=Yahoo

Can't say I disagree.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Around the NFL 

Post#29 » by FreeBalling » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Looks like social media is going to start running our country. AP can't even whip his sons ass.

Btw, a switch will leave a mark, that's the point of the whipping. I've never seen a switch whipping NOT leave a mark.

Maybe, just maybe, wars one day will be fought on social media sites because there are a lot of pussies hiding behind keyboards in 2014.

Food for thought. What are the odds of landing in jail if a person grows up with only one parent.

When it's broke down into stats and reviewed there's the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums -
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#30 » by LyricalRico » Sat Oct 4, 2014 12:06 am

Broncos release Prater.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11634 ... att-prater

The skins need to schedule him for a tryout first thing Tuesday IMO.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#31 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 6, 2015 5:59 pm

So Seattle's defense now has lost it's coordinator, and their top 3 defensive backs (Chancellor, Thomas, and Sherman) all will have major injuries to return from. Will they still be elite next season?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#32 » by LyricalRico » Mon May 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Holy cow, 4 games for Brady?!?! I was thinking one or two. Gotta think it goes down on appeal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#33 » by Ruzious » Tue May 12, 2015 5:19 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Holy cow, 4 games for Brady?!?! I was thinking one or two. Gotta think it goes down on appeal.

Not to mention they lose their 2016 1st round draft choice. The cover-up was worse than the crime. If he had come clean from the start, he wouldn't have gotten more than a game penalty - maybe just a fine, imo. Heck, Aaron Rogers admitted he has his over-inflated, and nobody blinked.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Tue May 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Holy cow, 4 games for Brady?!?! I was thinking one or two. Gotta think it goes down on appeal.

Not to mention they lose their 2016 1st round draft choice. The cover-up was worse than the crime. If he had come clean from the start, he wouldn't have gotten more than a game penalty - maybe just a fine, imo. Heck, Aaron Rogers admitted he has his over-inflated, and nobody blinked.

Yeah, probably right. Also the fact that the Pats have broken rules before.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Tue May 12, 2015 6:12 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Yeah, probably right. Also the fact that the Pats have broken rules before.

Spy-gate seems recent, but it was 8 years ago. Then again, they still have the same cast of characters, so I guess it is still relevant. Not to mention that Pats fans are mostly annoying.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#36 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 1, 2015 11:05 pm

Browns reportedly looking to trade a couple linemen, including C Alex Mack. Any interest? Lichtensteiger then goes back to LG and our line looks more solid, now and going forward. Not sure what CLE wants, though.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#37 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 3, 2015 4:41 pm

And then there's this from Adam Schefter:

Five trades that should happen (but won't)

On Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, we'll again experience the least exciting, most boring trade deadline in all of sports -- the NFL trade deadline. It is the one area in which baseball, basketball and hockey decidedly out-excite the NFL.

So, in an effort to spruce it up, we're proposing five trades that should, but won't, be made -- although we plead with the involved teams to reconsider.

1. Washington trades quarterback Robert Griffin III to Kansas City for quarterback Chase Daniel.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid liked Griffin III coming out of the draft, Brad Childress is Kansas City's spread game analyst and the Chiefs could have a quarterback their head coach could groom to run it. Perfect. In turn, Washington would acquire another intriguing quarterback alternative, someone the Chiefs have shopped despite the fact he was impressive in the preseason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13979786/robert-griffin-iii-chiefs-calvin-johnson-panthers-five-trades-happen-nfl

A couple other interesting ones in there. I do wish NFL GMs were more creative with player trades, but dead cap penalties probably factor in because of the hard cap. Maybe they can address that in the new CBA? To soften the dead cap space rules specifically for trades, or allow teams to negotiate who will absorb the penalty as part of the trade?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 3, 2015 5:38 pm

LyricalRico wrote:And then there's this from Adam Schefter:

Five trades that should happen (but won't)

On Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, we'll again experience the least exciting, most boring trade deadline in all of sports -- the NFL trade deadline. It is the one area in which baseball, basketball and hockey decidedly out-excite the NFL.

So, in an effort to spruce it up, we're proposing five trades that should, but won't, be made -- although we plead with the involved teams to reconsider.

1. Washington trades quarterback Robert Griffin III to Kansas City for quarterback Chase Daniel.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid liked Griffin III coming out of the draft, Brad Childress is Kansas City's spread game analyst and the Chiefs could have a quarterback their head coach could groom to run it. Perfect. In turn, Washington would acquire another intriguing quarterback alternative, someone the Chiefs have shopped despite the fact he was impressive in the preseason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13979786/robert-griffin-iii-chiefs-calvin-johnson-panthers-five-trades-happen-nfl

A couple other interesting ones in there. I do wish NFL GMs were more creative with player trades, but dead cap penalties probably factor in because of the hard cap. Maybe they can address that in the new CBA? To soften the dead cap space rules specifically for trades, or allow teams to negotiate who will absorb the penalty as part of the trade?

Remember when the Skins had Chase Daniel and Colt Brennan fighting for the 3rd QB position in preseason - not so many years ago? Kudos to Chase for making it in the NFL at his size and a mediocre arm. Realistically, I can't see any team even considering taking on RG3's contract.

The question you raised about trading for Alex Mack is a tough one. I'd guess he'd cost at least a 4th round pick, so I'd say no - because the Skins aren't a midseason pickup of a veteran center away from being a legit playoff team - even in the NFC East. Looking at their next 3 games - they're almost sure things to lose at least 2 of them - no matter who they acquire, so expect them to be 4-6 after 10 games - and it could be 3-7. They're just not in position to trade away picks.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#39 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 5, 2016 3:58 pm

Wow, I did not see that Chuck Pagano extension coming.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#40 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 8, 2016 6:15 pm

Man, the dismantling of the Chip Kelly era in Philly is already in full effect. DeMarco Murray to Tennessee, and Alonso/Maxwell to Miami. I think Murray helps take some pressure off Mariota, but they still need receivers.

Return to Washington Football Team