Re: Jason Terry Agrees To Re-Sign With Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jason Terry Agrees To Re-Sign With Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 am

Jason Terry has agreed to re-sign with the Houston Rockets on a one-year deal, league sources tell RealGM.

The New Orleans Pelicans also made a strong push to sign Terry.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#2 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:22 am

Hmm interesting, I actually thought Utah had a legit shot here.

He may find himself out of the rotation when everyone is healthy and Lawson, Harden and Bev take up all the guard minutes. I also think Marcus Thornton is better for them than Terry
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#3 » by Makaveli2 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:49 am

He's more of a veteran presence that teams need and he can still be useful especially if there's a injury. Both patbev and Lawson have a bit of a risk to them one being injury the other being alcohol so its a safety net. His teammates and coach wanted him back (oh I thought rockets had no chemistry). The rockets did get Hayes who will also be a veteran presence but Terry is better at it imo. He's been more vocal throughout his career then Chuck. I didn't think he would be back with the rockets but great move.
Hakimbrook46
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Hakimbrook46 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:28 am

nba2k16 wrote:Hmm interesting, I actually thought Utah had a legit shot here.

He may find himself out of the rotation when everyone is healthy and Lawson, Harden and Bev take up all the guard minutes. I also think Marcus Thornton is better for them than Terry

While he happens to be the oldest vet on the team he also heppens to be a ringer (Has ring experince) as well. He still has his shooting Arsenal too for which a championship chasing team could use him. Yeah Thornton or whoever might be better than him somewhat but certainly not in Playoffs chemistry. U've probably forgotten him showing out most recently in '11 finals.
Freefloater
Sixth Man
And1: 892

Post#5 » by Freefloater » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Morey doing his thing...
Fact is that momentum in games is a real thing, while not tangible itself, you can tangibly see the effect it has when teams are on runs and how it can dramatically effect the outcome of games when you can generate any momentum.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Makaveli2 wrote:He's more of a veteran presence that teams need and he can still be useful especially if there's a injury. Both patbev and Lawson have a bit of a risk to them one being injury the other being alcohol so its a safety net. His teammates and coach wanted him back (oh I thought rockets had no chemistry). The rockets did get Hayes who will also be a veteran presence but Terry is better at it imo. He's been more vocal throughout his career then Chuck. I didn't think he would be back with the rockets but great move.

Chuck Hayes was former Rockets team captain
we traded Nick Johnson so we need someone else to shake hand with opponent team captain :lol:
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Re: Re: Jason Terry Agrees To Re-Sign With Rockets 

Post#7 » by 6_Rings » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:05 pm

did he ever remove the Celtics tat?
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#8 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:24 pm

MaxRider wrote:
Makaveli2 wrote:He's more of a veteran presence that teams need and he can still be useful especially if there's a injury. Both patbev and Lawson have a bit of a risk to them one being injury the other being alcohol so its a safety net. His teammates and coach wanted him back (oh I thought rockets had no chemistry). The rockets did get Hayes who will also be a veteran presence but Terry is better at it imo. He's been more vocal throughout his career then Chuck. I didn't think he would be back with the rockets but great move.

we traded Nick Johnson so we need someone else to shake hand with opponent team captain :lol:

Chuck Hayes is there to be the reasoning old-man/dad voice to all the youngins "now look here Lawson, I know ya wanna get crunk on that gin n' juice, but save that **** for after the ring ceremony. Trust yo old man on this one"
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#9 » by nba2k16 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:03 am

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
MaxRider wrote:

Chuck Hayes is there to be the reasoning old-man/dad voice to all the youngins "now look here Lawson, I know ya wanna get crunk on that gin n' juice, but save that **** for after the ring ceremony. Trust yo old man on this one"

Sadly Harden will cancel all that out by being the voice to bring him to the strip clubs, get crunk and start driving again :oops:
Makaveli2
Junior

Post#10 » by Makaveli2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:40 am

So the rockets beat the clips even when harden was visiting strip clubs at night and getting crunk. that was easy.
nba2k16 wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:
MaxRider wrote:Chuck Hayes was former Rockets team captain

Sadly Harden will cancel all that out by being the voice to bring him to the strip clubs, get crunk and start driving again :oops:
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#11 » by nba2k16 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:43 am

Makaveli2 wrote:So the rockets beat the clips even when harden was visiting strip clubs at night and getting crunk. that was easy.
nba2k16 wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Chuck Hayes is there to be the reasoning old-man/dad voice to all the youngins "now look here Lawson, I know ya wanna get crunk on that gin n' juice, but save that **** for after the ring ceremony. Trust yo old man on this one"

Lol way to be irrelevant

They won the series because Harden did what he does best. Dive and draw falls. They won and I hate it and I'll give them credit for advancing but that is how they won
Makaveli2
Junior

Post#12 » by Makaveli2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:02 am

And he was able to do that while visiting strip clubs and getting crunk the night before. Imagine if he didn't go to the strip club or drank.
Makaveli2 wrote:So the rockets beat the clips even when harden was visiting strip clubs at night and getting crunk. that was easy.
nba2k16 wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Chuck Hayes is there to be the reasoning old-man/dad voice to all the youngins "now look here Lawson, I know ya wanna get crunk on that gin n' juice, but save that **** for after the ring ceremony. Trust yo old man on this one"

Lol way to be irrelevant

They won the series because Harden did what he does best. Dive and draw falls. They won and I hate it and I'll give them credit for advancing but that is how they won[/quote]
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#13 » by nba2k16 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 am

Makaveli2 wrote:And he was able to do that while visiting strip clubs and getting crunk the night before. Imagine if he didn't go to the strip club or drank.
nba2k16 wrote:

Lol way to be irrelevant

They won the series because Harden did what he does best. Dive and draw falls. They won and I hate it and I'll give them credit for advancing but that is how they won
[/quote]

Again, way to be irrelevant. I don't understand how this affects the Clippers in anyway.

It WILL however affect Ty Lawson's performance if he is distracted or gets into legal issues again because of Harden's behavior. And this time if Lawson is caught again it's over for him, he won't get off so easy
Makaveli2
Junior

Post#14 » by Makaveli2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:19 am

Well I'm not that worried. Because a few weeks ago I was fine with just rolling with pat bev at of and seeing how far we can go. Hes improved his shooting every yr since he's been with the rockets. We also didn't risk anything in the trade , even if it doesn't work out it would pretty much be the same as what we expected to begin with. Getting back pbev and dmo will already improve us from last season playoffs. At worst case we just don't play lawson. Best case he plays better then he has before being around better players which helps increasing his assist numbers to double digits. Even better is if he helps rockets recruit Durant next off-season since he's good friends with Lawson and also harden. What morey gave up, Lawson was well worth the risk. I'm sure you agree, does he have a problem, sure but it's still worth the risk. There's really not much to worry about.
nba2k16 wrote:
Makaveli2 wrote:And he was able to do that while visiting strip clubs and getting crunk the night before. Imagine if he didn't go to the strip club or drank.

Lol way to be irrelevant

Again, way to be irrelevant. I don't understand how this affects the Clippers in anyway.

It WILL however affect Ty Lawson's performance if he is distracted or gets into legal issues again because of Harden's behavior. And this time if Lawson is caught again it's over for him, he won't get off so easy[/quote]
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#15 » by nba2k16 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:39 am

Makaveli2 wrote:Well I'm not that worried. Because a few weeks ago I was fine with just rolling with pat bev at of and seeing how far we can go. Hes improved his shooting every yr since he's been with the rockets. We also didn't risk anything in the trade , even if it doesn't work out it would pretty much be the same as what we expected to begin with. Getting back pbev and dmo will already improve us from last season playoffs. At worst case we just don't play lawson. Best case he plays better then he has before being around better players which helps increasing his assist numbers to double digits. Even better is if he helps rockets recruit Durant next off-season since he's good friends with Lawson and also harden. What morey gave up, Lawson was well worth the risk. I'm sure you agree, does he have a problem, sure but it's still worth the risk. There's really not much to worry about.
nba2k16 wrote:

Lol way to be irrelevant

It WILL however affect Ty Lawson's performance if he is distracted or gets into legal issues again because of Harden's behavior. And this time if Lawson is caught again it's over for him, he won't get off so easy
[/quote]

While it's fair to think in terms of assets, you have to also consider the negative value in the dressing room of having Harden and Lawson too into party life and strippers and booze. I know it doesnt seem like it but having two of them doing that can often affect the oncourt production. Sure, having harden, lawson and bev is great. But not if two of the 3 guards are distracted all season
It Is I Folks
Junior
And1: 46

Post#16 » by It Is I Folks » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:47 am

nba2k16 wrote:
Makaveli2 wrote:Well I'm not that worried. Because a few weeks ago I was fine with just rolling with pat bev at of and seeing how far we can go. Hes improved his shooting every yr since he's been with the rockets. We also didn't risk anything in the trade , even if it doesn't work out it would pretty much be the same as what we expected to begin with. Getting back pbev and dmo will already improve us from last season playoffs. At worst case we just don't play lawson. Best case he plays better then he has before being around better players which helps increasing his assist numbers to double digits. Even better is if he helps rockets recruit Durant next off-season since he's good friends with Lawson and also harden. What morey gave up, Lawson was well worth the risk. I'm sure you agree, does he have a problem, sure but it's still worth the risk. There's really not much to worry about.
nba2k16 wrote:

While it's fair to think in terms of assets, you have to also consider the negative value in the dressing room of having Harden and Lawson too into party life and strippers and booze. I know it doesnt seem like it but having two of them doing that can often affect the oncourt production. Sure, having harden, lawson and bev is great. But not if two of the 3 guards are distracted all season[/quote]

Makeveli, don't waste your time with this dude. He likes trolling on the Rockets. If he actually knew the game, he'd see all superstars flop. It's part of the game. If he actually saw Harden play, he'd see the dude gets hacked every single game as he drives to the basket. Teams can't guard him, so they grab and slap at him. It's all about attention to detail, but doubt he's smart enough to get it. Now sit back and enjoy his reply
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#17 » by nba2k16 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:47 am

It Is I Folks wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:

While it's fair to think in terms of assets, you have to also consider the negative value in the dressing room of having Harden and Lawson too into party life and strippers and booze. I know it doesnt seem like it but having two of them doing that can often affect the oncourt production. Sure, having harden, lawson and bev is great. But not if two of the 3 guards are distracted all season

Makeveli, don't waste your time with this dude. He likes trolling on the Rockets. If he actually knew the game, he'd see all superstars flop. It's part of the game. If he actually saw Harden play, he'd see the dude gets hacked every single game as he drives to the basket. Teams can't guard him, so they grab and slap at him. It's all about attention to detail, but doubt he's smart enough to get it. Now sit back and enjoy his reply[/quote]

You're joking right? It's a pretty much universal fact that is widely shared and believed in by fans and knowledgeable guys on RealGM that this is the style of play he has. It is what it is. If you're a Rockets fan, be happy you got him for such a great steal from OKC. But get used to the fact that what I described is accurate and that's what most people outside of homer fans objectively see
Makaveli2
Junior

Post#18 » by Makaveli2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:08 am

Not sure why harden flopping is brought up here but same things can be said about clipper players especially cp3 and blake in regards to flopping and additionally crying to the refs, these are both universal fact felt by fans of other teams that aren't clips. Additionally imo it's even worse when a pf is flopping over a guard since they are suppose to be the strong guys. Quit falling Blake.
But back to the point in regards to Lawson, yes of course we know the risk, it's well documented and is a big reason we got him for cheap. Due to the low risk high reward factor and us trusting our players to be professionals even in the case of the worst case scenario does occur. I trust morey and most of his gambles have paid off. I remember there were many people that felt that trading for harden and what we gave up (much more then what we gave up for Lawson) was a huge risk, many thought there was a big possibility he was going to be a flop once he was the number One option. Hes going to suck with Durant and Westbrook we were told. You gotta take risk sometimes. Josh Smith going to the clippers is a risk. Clips already have a starting pf and center putting Smith in a situation like he was in Detroit. No real role and sometimes playing the sf position. Josh Smith is also known to have a negative effect on the locker room when things aren't going good for him as we saw in Detroit when they became better when he was left.
We can go on and on but until the season rolls these are all speculations and no point in arguing. can't wait for the new season.
nba2k16 wrote:
It Is I Folks wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:

Makeveli, don't waste your time with this dude. He likes trolling on the Rockets. If he actually knew the game, he'd see all superstars flop. It's part of the game. If he actually saw Harden play, he'd see the dude gets hacked every single game as he drives to the basket. Teams can't guard him, so they grab and slap at him. It's all about attention to detail, but doubt he's smart enough to get it. Now sit back and enjoy his reply

You're joking right? It's a pretty much universal fact that is widely shared and believed in by fans and knowledgeable guys on RealGM that this is the style of play he has. It is what it is. If you're a Rockets fan, be happy you got him for such a great steal from OKC. But get used to the fact that what I described is accurate and that's what most people outside of homer fans objectively see[/quote]
Makaveli2
Junior

Post#19 » by Makaveli2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am

Another thing about the risk of Lawson. If he is truly alcholic we can assume he was drinking excessively last season maybe even during games. Yet he averaged 15pt and 9 assist. That's already better then the pgs we had last season and he did that drunk. Now if all works out and he gets the help he needs an sobers up, those number should go up.
What surprising is we didn't know about his issues based on his performance or his teammates saying he's a bad teammate, never heard him have issues with teammates. We only knew about this issue when he got caught. Seems he's able to function even with the problem, but lets hope he still fixes the problem to reach his max potential.
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#20 » by nba2k16 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:55 am

Makaveli2 wrote:Another thing about the risk of Lawson. If he is truly alcholic we can assume he was drinking excessively last season maybe even during games. Yet he averaged 15pt and 9 assist. That's already better then the pgs we had last season and he did that drunk. Now if all works out and he gets the help he needs an sobers up, those number should go up.
What surprising is we didn't know about his issues based on his performance or his teammates saying he's a bad teammate, never heard him have issues with teammates. We only knew about this issue when he got caught. Seems he's able to function even with the problem, but lets hope he still fixes the problem to reach his max potential.

He's not drunk on the court. All your comments suggest he's drunk on the court and still puts up 15 and 9.

Please get your facts straight. His issue is drinking and driving, which shouldn't affect his on court performance unless he is driving his vehicle on the court while getting the ball up past the halfway mark, which he is not.

This is an issue of him being caught drinking and driving again as going out with Harden (inevitable) increases the chances of him wanting to drink and drive. Is it a guarantee? No. His rehab could really work wonders on him. But there is a good chahnce the behavior continues if encouraged by Harden and if he gets caught... it's game over for him and the Rockets lose out big time and so does he as he likely doesn't step foot on the NBA court ever again. There goes a bunch of young assets, draft picks and a chance at a title for the Rockets. So they need to stay away from each other.

Return to Wiretap Discussion