Adam Silver Says 76ers 'Resetting' Right Now, Denies Intervening

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Adam Silver Says 76ers 'Resetting' Right Now, Denies Intervening 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Adam Silver was asked if he's okay with how the Philadelphia 76ers have run their franchise over the past three seasons under Sam Hinkie.

"I don’t want to answer that directly," said Silver. "As I said, there’s a marketplace of ideas and approaches that go into managing a franchise.

"Am I fan of that strategy? Put it this way: No. But does that mean that it’s not acceptable under the league rules? It doesn’t."

The 76ers recently hired Jerry Colangelo.

"There’s a resetting of sorts going on with the 76ers right now," said Silver. "And I think that ultimately may speak louder in the marketplace of teams than any tinkering we do to the draft lottery."

Silver reportedly received calls from other teams about what the 76ers were doing and that he intervened.

"Those reports are not correct. Josh Harris, who’s the principal owner of the 76ers, decided on his own that he needed to change course. He and I had many conversations along the way about the utility of the strategy that he was following. And he came to the conclusion once this season began, and he saw how his team was performing on the floor, that he needed to change his strategy.

"Other owners were not pressuring him at all. In fact, it’s a weird dynamic in the league that while all the owners would like to see teams well operated, other owners just want to win (laughter). And so nobody was calling me and saying go call the 76ers and tell them how to beat us."

Via FiveThirtyEight

DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Re: Adam Silver Says 76ers 'Resetting' Right Now, Denies Intervening 

Post#2 » by DrClutch » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:03 pm

There should be no need to intervening... these other NBA owners seem jealous & afraid of the sixers rebuilding... who was the last team that went through a long rebuild reached playoffs but had to rebuild again and then win a championship after the 7th year of the second rebuild? WARRIORS (114-312(1 lockout season);08-09-11-12) sixers(72-304;12-13-present) 76ers are going to be a scary team when they are healthy and when Hinkie Signs that Star PoinT/SG He already has built his Center/powerfoward combo's
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#3 » by the_process » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Adam,

No one believes you weren't embarrassed by the Sixers and in response basically forced Harris to hire Colangelo.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#4 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:20 pm

DrClutch wrote:There should be no need to intervening... these other NBA owners seem jealous & afraid of the sixers rebuilding... who was the last team that went through a long rebuild reached playoffs but had to rebuild again and then win a championship after the 7th year of the second rebuild? WARRIORS (114-312(1 lockout season);08-09-11-12) sixers(72-304;12-13-present) 76ers are going to be a scary team when they are healthy and when Hinkie Signs that Star PoinT/SG He already has built his Center/powerfoward combo's

76ers are the biggest joke in professional sports. No one is jealous or afraid.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,671

Post#5 » by ChosenSavior » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:36 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
DrClutch wrote:There should be no need to intervening... these other NBA owners seem jealous & afraid of the sixers rebuilding... who was the last team that went through a long rebuild reached playoffs but had to rebuild again and then win a championship after the 7th year of the second rebuild? WARRIORS (114-312(1 lockout season);08-09-11-12) sixers(72-304;12-13-present) 76ers are going to be a scary team when they are healthy and when Hinkie Signs that Star PoinT/SG He already has built his Center/powerfoward combo's

This.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#6 » by Agnostifarian » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:37 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:

No one is jealous or afraid of the Bulls either.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#7 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

This has nothing to do with the Bulls. My condolences if you are Philly fan having to watch this trash for years and still suck with no future in sight. :lol:
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#8 » by Agnostifarian » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:00 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

This has nothing to do with the Bulls. My condolences if you are Philly fan having to watch this trash for years and still suck with no future in sight. :lol:

I've been watching trash basketball in Philly since the late 70s. This version just smells different. So, do you remember Mike?
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#9 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:

I've been watching trash basketball in Philly since the late 70s. This version just smells different. So, do you remember Mike?

Yes I do remember Mike. Even though the Bulls have not won anything lately at least they have been trying. What your team has been doing is quite frankly an embarrassment to all athletics in general.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#10 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:19 pm

There is a downside to tanking and that is that you lose fans and ticket sales. I believe SIlva when he said he did not intervene and i believe it that the owner has had enough. You cannot just tank forever or the owner will go bust. The 76ers are obviously coming to the end of their financial money stream and need to start bringing some money back in. That all makes sense to me.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#11 » by Eyeamok » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:44 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:There is a downside to tanking and that is that you lose fans and ticket sales. I believe SIlva when he said he did not intervene and i believe it that the owner has had enough. You cannot just tank forever or the owner will go bust. The 76ers are obviously coming to the end of their financial money stream and need to start bringing some money back in. That all makes sense to me.

You know nothing John Snow !!!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#12 » by CraZyPraiZ » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:35 pm

How do we know if they will ever get healthy and what star player is signing there? Everyone was referring to Hinkie as a genius and he may be out the door soon.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#13 » by puja21 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 pm

"When" the Sixers get healthy?

First of all, no guarantees on that.

Remember young guys who struggled from the outset of the draft and never were "fully healthy??
e.g.
Bill Walton, Brad Daugherty, Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, Ralph Sampson

And then the many guys who never "got it back" after injury.
e.g.
Yao, Penny, CWebb, Allan Houston, Stoudemire, Francis, Arenas, Grant Hill etc....

Re: Hinkie's strategy
How many teams ever win solely because of the draft. Houston couldn't do it with Olajuwon AND Sampson. The Bulls couldn't get out of the 1st round without Pippen trade from Seattle. Lebron couldn't win it all in Cleveland. Rondo had won far more playoff games by age 26 than the far superior KG had even played in by age 25. CP3 still hasn't gotten out of the 2nd round (with LA or NOR). Kevin Love couldn't even make TO the playoffs. If somehow Miami won the first pick 2 years ago, were they any closer to three-peating with Mario Bennett shooting 20% or Nerlens Noel riding the bench injured? Look at Orlando -- last team to actually win the draft lottery based purely on being dismal. Yes, they made it to the Finals... but even prime age healthy Dwight couldn't over come the terrible management.

Orlando acquired guys who'd suffered major injuries like Arenas, Rashard Lewis, Steve Francis, and were still saddled with "not yet recovered" Grant Hill for much of those years. They acquired guys who were largely past their prime like Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu's second contract, and Jason Williams. Went after guys who were unready to help 'yet' (long growth/dev curve) like Redick, Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass. They made trades:
-Marcin Gortat/Carter/Pietrus from the conf champ team for Richardson and Hedo's terrible contract
-Ryan Anderson for a guy who became basically nothing ~6 mos later.

None of these decisions had to do with draft position.

Bad managers will always be bad.

Return to Wiretap Discussion