ImageImage

OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,830

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#561 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Maybe you guys have more motivation for me, but my biggest thing is access and ease of use for a home gym. I have a spot on the main floor where there's a tv, a pull up bar always hanging, and weights that are easy to grab without having to store them. I also made a medicine ball from putting a whole in a basketball and filling it up with sand, and sealing with a bike tire patch. To me, having that easy to use everyday is more important than having a setup in the garage or basement where I would have to motivate myself to go downstairs in the cold and hope the ipad is charged. Easier to get in a few pullups, pushups and situps while watching tv waiting for dinner to finish.

I'm also a runner and want to be more tone than muscle so that may have something to do with not needing a ton of weights.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#562 » by averageposter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:35 pm

bigkurty wrote:Do any of you guys have home gyms? If so, can you tell me how you went about picking out your equipment? Was brand important to you. I know Rogue is a cool brand for example. But it seems like you can find no name private label brands that are cheaper and probably just as good since they often have good reviews too.

I think it really depends on what type of fitness equipment. If you are building an all inclusive home gym, so something with a full or half rack, allowing safe squats, or heavy bench with spotter/safety arms then that's where the concern will be in quality from the names like Hoist purchased at a fitness store and someone like Weider purchased at a sports store or Sears.

Maybe as important is how you are built, making sure the grip width on a bench is right or the adjustable parts of the bench or pulleys match your frame is a big deal too.

That said if you can see them in person there is often a wide variety in how heavy the lower priced options are built and how thoughtfully designed the adjustments are. There are some good ones even on the lower end. A good resource is the forums at bodybuilding.com often they have a running thread for good deals with both quality, safety, and adjust ability in mind.

For me the home gym is the way to go, I look at 10 minutes travel to a gym, 10 minutes back as 20 minutes I could have spent lifting. Things like splitting a workout morning night become more pallet able. I don't have to wait for equipment, I don't have recurring costs. etc.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#563 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon May 9, 2016 5:35 pm

Has anybody that works in an office made the change to an exercise ball as a chair? If so, any noticeable benefit? It seems based on my research it's highly debated if any benefit at all.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#564 » by crkone » Mon May 9, 2016 5:48 pm

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154075

Twelve Weeks of Sprint Interval Training Improves Indices of Cardiometabolic Health Similar to Traditional Endurance Training despite a Five-Fold Lower Exercise Volume and Time Commitment

Aims

We investigated whether sprint interval training (SIT) was a time-efficient exercise strategy to improve insulin sensitivity and other indices of cardiometabolic health to the same extent as traditional moderate-intensity continuous training (MICT). SIT involved 1 minute of intense exercise within a 10-minute time commitment, whereas MICT involved 50 minutes of continuous exercise per session.

Methods

Sedentary men (27±8y; BMI = 26±6kg/m2) performed three weekly sessions of SIT (n = 9) or MICT (n = 10) for 12 weeks or served as non-training controls (n = 6). SIT involved 3x20-second ‘all-out’ cycle sprints (~500W) interspersed with 2 minutes of cycling at 50W, whereas MICT involved 45 minutes of continuous cycling at ~70% maximal heart rate (~110W). Both protocols involved a 2-minute warm-up and 3-minute cool-down at 50W.

Results

Peak oxygen uptake increased after training by 19% in both groups (SIT: 32±7 to 38±8; MICT: 34±6 to 40±8ml/kg/min; p<0.001 for both). Insulin sensitivity index (CSI), determined by intravenous glucose tolerance tests performed before and 72 hours after training, increased similarly after SIT (4.9±2.5 to 7.5±4.7, p = 0.002) and MICT (5.0±3.3 to 6.7±5.0 x 10−4 min-1 [μU/mL]-1, p = 0.013) (p<0.05). Skeletal muscle mitochondrial content also increased similarly after SIT and MICT, as primarily reflected by the maximal activity of citrate synthase (CS; P<0.001). The corresponding changes in the control group were small for VO2peak (p = 0.99), CSI (p = 0.63) and CS (p = 0.97).

Conclusions

Twelve weeks of brief intense interval exercise improved indices of cardiometabolic health to the same extent as traditional endurance training in sedentary men, despite a five-fold lower exercise volume and time commitment.

Basically sedentary men either did three 20 second all-out cycle sprints interspersed with 2 minutes of slow cycling, or 45 minutes of medium to high speed cycling. Both had the same effects on cardiometabolic health measured by IV glucose tolerance tests, peak oxygen uptake, and skeletal muscle mitochondrial content.

TLDR; doing a tiny bit of hardcore exercise for a very short amount of time 3 times a week is as good on your health as doing a longer workout.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#565 » by HurricaneKid » Fri May 13, 2016 7:46 pm

crkone wrote:http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154075

Twelve Weeks of Sprint Interval Training Improves Indices of Cardiometabolic Health Similar to Traditional Endurance Training despite a Five-Fold Lower Exercise Volume and Time Commitment

Aims

We investigated whether sprint interval training (SIT) was a time-efficient exercise strategy to improve insulin sensitivity and other indices of cardiometabolic health to the same extent as traditional moderate-intensity continuous training (MICT). SIT involved 1 minute of intense exercise within a 10-minute time commitment, whereas MICT involved 50 minutes of continuous exercise per session.

Methods

Sedentary men (27±8y; BMI = 26±6kg/m2) performed three weekly sessions of SIT (n = 9) or MICT (n = 10) for 12 weeks or served as non-training controls (n = 6). SIT involved 3x20-second ‘all-out’ cycle sprints (~500W) interspersed with 2 minutes of cycling at 50W, whereas MICT involved 45 minutes of continuous cycling at ~70% maximal heart rate (~110W). Both protocols involved a 2-minute warm-up and 3-minute cool-down at 50W.

Results

Peak oxygen uptake increased after training by 19% in both groups (SIT: 32±7 to 38±8; MICT: 34±6 to 40±8ml/kg/min; p<0.001 for both). Insulin sensitivity index (CSI), determined by intravenous glucose tolerance tests performed before and 72 hours after training, increased similarly after SIT (4.9±2.5 to 7.5±4.7, p = 0.002) and MICT (5.0±3.3 to 6.7±5.0 x 10−4 min-1 [μU/mL]-1, p = 0.013) (p<0.05). Skeletal muscle mitochondrial content also increased similarly after SIT and MICT, as primarily reflected by the maximal activity of citrate synthase (CS; P<0.001). The corresponding changes in the control group were small for VO2peak (p = 0.99), CSI (p = 0.63) and CS (p = 0.97).

Conclusions

Twelve weeks of brief intense interval exercise improved indices of cardiometabolic health to the same extent as traditional endurance training in sedentary men, despite a five-fold lower exercise volume and time commitment.

Basically sedentary men either did three 20 second all-out cycle sprints interspersed with 2 minutes of slow cycling, or 45 minutes of medium to high speed cycling. Both had the same effects on cardiometabolic health measured by IV glucose tolerance tests, peak oxygen uptake, and skeletal muscle mitochondrial content.

TLDR; doing a tiny bit of hardcore exercise for a very short amount of time 3 times a week is as good on your health as doing a longer workout.

I've always been really high on intensity in workouts over length but I always thought biking was the one area it wasn't as valuable. I'm pretty amazed at this and will def incorporate.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
feldm093
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#566 » by feldm093 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 7:40 pm

Bumping this since I began training for the Twin Cities Medtronic marathon this coming October.

I've ran a half marathon previously and have been running without a real falling-off for about 5 years now (went from ~245 lbs my freshman year in college down to ~165 today).

Wondering if anyone has any little tips either for training or for the actual racing of a marathon!

Just went to a specialty store here in the Cities last week and got fitted for a pair of shoes for the first time in my life, so hopefully that is a big step in the right direction. I've been on a training program I feel comfortable with the past few weeks, and I'm shifting my diet a bit to better prepare for things. Any other suggestions?
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#567 » by jimmybones » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:07 pm

feldm093 wrote:Bumping this since I began training for the Twin Cities Medtronic marathon this coming October.

I've ran a half marathon previously and have been running without a real falling-off for about 5 years now (went from ~245 lbs my freshman year in college down to ~165 today).

Wondering if anyone has any little tips either for training or for the actual racing of a marathon!

Just went to a specialty store here in the Cities last week and got fitted for a pair of shoes for the first time in my life, so hopefully that is a big step in the right direction. I've been on a training program I feel comfortable with the past few weeks, and I'm shifting my diet a bit to better prepare for things. Any other suggestions?

Not a runner but am a trainer and have trained clients for this. I'd suggest:

-incremental increases in how long you can run (assuming you aren't able to run that long now). Figure out how many weeks you have until the event and determine how far you are now until you are at your goal(I'd always shoot for a little over the event, ~27 miles). So say you can do half now with a goal of 27 miles. You should aim to increase your distance by an equal amount from now until event.

So let's be simple and say you have 14 weeks and have 14 miles to increase. You'd run your 13 this week, 14 next week, and so on until you hit 27 the week before or even 2 weeks before. The math won't be that clean but it's a simplified example. Do this long run only once a week.

-vary your training distances. 1 long run, 3 or 4 medium runs over slightly higher intensity but less time/volume and I'd even mix in some interval or sprint training once or twice a week- less taxing on your joints and increases your aerobic capacity(not as beneficial as the specific training but some carry over benefit. Doing the majority of medium intensity is to save your joints/body, and get your body used to running longer at higher intensities than your event pace. This will have some carryover similar to the sprint/interval training just on a spectrum closer to your event pace.

I'd do that long run only once a week at most. Training for the specific event or movement is always the most important thing but longevity matters a lot so don't be doing long runs 4x a week or something crazy and don't try to make dramatic increases- overuse injury waiting to happen.

This is a lot of babbling on to basically say: train at varying intensities(speeds) and distances, don't make major leaps in workload and scale your increases based on how much time you have.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#568 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:56 am

Anyone try doing Keto? I have some friends on it and they seemed to like it. Maybe I'm reading about it wrong but there doesn't seem to be any focus on eating clean with it, so I would probably try a paleo-keto diet, but that combines the restrictiveness of both choice (paleo) and strictness consistency of Keto.

Anyone have suggestions/experience?
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#569 » by MrHoneycutt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:09 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Anyone try doing Keto? I have some friends on it and they seemed to like it. Maybe I'm reading about it wrong but there doesn't seem to be any focus on eating clean with it, so I would probably try a paleo-keto diet, but that combines the restrictiveness of both choice (paleo) and strictness consistency of Keto.

Keto can be tough, but also pretty effective. A lot of people never actually reach ketosis, and it can be pretty easy to bump yourself off it with carbs. I think one of the biggest downfalls people run into is thinking that it's a free-for-all nutritionally, and they eat like crap under the 'keto' flag. I could definitely see combining good choices and being stricter with the keto, takes a ton of prep though, carbs are omnipresent and such an easy foodsource. Do you have any particular goals with trying this? I've always liked a low-medium carb diet, with only clean carbs like hard oats, veggies, sweet potatoes, etc.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#570 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:14 am

MrHoneycutt wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Anyone try doing Keto? I have some friends on it and they seemed to like it. Maybe I'm reading about it wrong but there doesn't seem to be any focus on eating clean with it, so I would probably try a paleo-keto diet, but that combines the restrictiveness of both choice (paleo) and strictness consistency of Keto.

Keto can be tough, but also pretty effective. A lot of people never actually reach ketosis, and it can be pretty easy to bump yourself off it with carbs. I think one of the biggest downfalls people run into is thinking that it's a free-for-all nutritionally, and they eat like crap under the 'keto' flag. I could definitely see combining good choices and being stricter with the keto, takes a ton of prep though, carbs are omnipresent and such an easy foodsource. Do you have any particular goals with trying this? I've always liked a low-medium carb diet, with only clean carbs like hard oats, veggies, sweet potatoes, etc.

Probably equally weighted between getting rid of a few pounds and better focus in the afternoon. Figure it's worth a try as I normally eat pretty clean anyways and would just need to tweak/motivate myself for my weekly meal prep.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#571 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 11:55 am

Anyone heading up to the Crossfit Games in Madison? If you ever want a glimpse of the best athletes in the world, now is the time. Thinking of going Sunday.
Do it for Chuck
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#572 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 3, 2018 1:49 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Anyone heading up to the Crossfit Games in Madison? If you ever want a glimpse of the best athletes in the world, now is the time. Thinking of going Sunday.

They're great athletes but best in the world? Come on now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#573 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 3, 2018 1:55 pm

Are they even great athletes?
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#574 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 3, 2018 1:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Are they even great athletes?

They're in real good shape both cardio and strength. Guess it depends on your definition of "athlete".
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#575 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:25 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:

They're in real good shape both cardio and strength. Guess it depends on your definition of "athlete".

this is realgm sir, athlete is dunks.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#576 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:31 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

this is realgm sir, athlete is dunks.

Does it have to be a 10ft hoop?
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#577 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:02 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Anyone heading up to the Crossfit Games in Madison? If you ever want a glimpse of the best athletes in the world, now is the time. Thinking of going Sunday.

If you're talking all around, I'd say so. At the very least, I haven't seen a better gauge when it comes to all around athletics.

Green font?
Do it for Chuck
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#578 » by chonestown » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:12 pm

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#579 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Aug 3, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm sort of keto right now. I have some carbs in my diet, my net carb is around 50-60 instead of 20-30 for an average day. Mainly because I eat a peanut butter, coconut oil, and jelly sandwich with my lunch. Maybe I can be "true keto" if I find a better fat delivery platform to meet my calorie requirements and cut the bread. So far it's working pretty good, I've been using it to actually gain weight and bulk because it's easier to eat more calories with fat's g-to-calorie ratio. Body far is still low, hovering between 10-11%, but I was able to add four pounds in a month.

That said, I also try to eat relatively clean though, so perhaps my results are different than someone going a little buckwild with what they're eating for fat and the sugar they're taking in. I'm doing a 50/30/20 split for three meals, spread out by four hours. Usually four eggs, spinach, avocado, raw almonds, whole milk mixed with chocolate protein powder in the morning; chicken baked in olive oil, lettuce, kale, feta, bacon, avocado, and Caesar dressing with the aforementioned PBCOJ (using ezekial bread and an all-natural jelly to avoid added sugar) for lunch; then a piece of salmon and whole milk for dinner, maybe some steamed broccoli or green beans. 3200 calories total.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#580 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Aug 3, 2018 5:45 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

If you're talking all around, I'd say so. At the very least, I haven't seen a better gauge when it comes to all around athletics.

Green font?

I mean, they might look good because they are going for fatigue, which means their exercise is basically all conditioning and reduces their body fat, but that doesn't make them great athletes.

I think they have cool stuff to borrow and incorporate, but I'm not buying the crossfit koolaid.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks