FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: 2016 NFL Draft 

Post#21 » by FNQ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:35 am

Newest mock, based on availability from Walterfootball.com at each pick:

1st round: Sheldon Rankins, DT/DE

I would love for this pick to be Elliott - it would mean we'd have one of the best running games in the NFL - but Sheldon Rankins is a hell of a consolation prize. He is a great interior pass rusher, and is also pretty stout as a run defender to boot. I usually don't like taking DTs this high, but if both Elliott and Hargraves are off the board at 14, I think this is the BPA

2nd round: Le'Raven Clark, OT

Ready for a bit of a reach? This guy is toolsy. Think a better, younger version of Menelik Watson. Except unlike Menelik, Clark will start out with an extremely talented veteran line to learn from, as well as one of the best OL coaches in the league in Mike Tice. Clark would get one year to learn behind Penn, and then would be able to challenge him for the starting role in 2017.

3rd round: Jeremy Cash, S

A pure in-the-box safety, this kid is the hard-hitting, Mike Mitchell type of safety. Except he actually comes with situational awareness. Still a work in progress in coverage, but we havent had a pure SS since Tyvon Branch. Cash should be better than Branch.

4th round: Deiondre' Hall, CB
A small school talent, Hall has length for days. Several sites say this guy reminds them of Richard Sherman, in that his instincts and length are great, but questions remain about his speed and quickness. I'd take the risk.

5th round (from DAL): Devontae Booker, RB
Solid back. Nothing special, but provides depth for L.Murray as a COP back. Has a lot of patience and hits holes hard when they appear, making me think he could be a poor man's LeVeon Bell for us.

5th round: Antonio Morrison, ILB
Morrison is a 2 down thumper, in the mold of Curtis Lofton. But the Lofton who was a tackling machine, not the broke down version of 2015. He isn't that far of a step down from likely 1st round selection Reggie Ragland.

6th round (from IND): Jalin Marshall, KR (WR)
So we're going the DeBose route again. Marshall is a great kick returner, but way too small to be anything but a gadget receiver. In the 6th, I'll take it.

7th round: DeAndre Houston-Carson, S
Probably long gone (5th or 6th round), a very instinctual player who doesnt have great physicals. Definitely more of a FS than SS, but his big value is in special teams. Blocked 4 (!) punts last year. Soft hands too. Great player to have at the end of your roster.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:05 am

I hope this SI mock drafts not accurate.

Will Fuller
WR, Notre Dame
Yeah, we know. A speed receiver to the Raiders is the walking definition of cliché. But these are not Al Davis’s Raiders—they are now in the capable hands of general manager Reggie McKenzie, and the one thing quarterback Derek Carr didn’t have last year was an elite downfield receiver who could split safety coverage and tilt the field. Fuller is still working on elements of his game, but pairing him with Amari Cooper—especially with all the improvements on Oakland’s offensive line in recent years—could propel Carr into the next stratosphere. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/08/nfl-mock-draft-surprises-sleepers-laremy-tunsil
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#23 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:53 pm

I hope it's not accurate either.

With the signing of Aldon Smith, Reggie Nelson, the D-line talent/ depth in the 1st round, and the safety talent being in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I kind of hope the guy is Rankins or A-Shawn.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#24 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:04 pm

After the big draft trade between LA and Tenn this mock has been out for 23hrs.

It has us selecting William Jackson III the CB out of Houston.

Overview

Jackson started his career at Trinity Valley Junior College, and found himself a regular starter by the end of his first year with the Cougars in 2013. He stepped up his game as a junior to become a second-team American Athletic Conference pick (two interceptions, 10 pass breakups), ranking among the national leaders in pass breakups before suffering a sprained MCL late in the year. Jackson tweaked a knee during 2015, but started 12 of 13 games, again was named second-team all-conference and finished with five interceptions and 23 pass breakups, leading the nation in passes defended.

Pro Day Results
20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds
3-cone: 6.86 seconds
Analysis
Strengths Good height and length. Stays low from a smooth backpedal. Plays with capable makeup speed when receivers get separation. Can click and close on throws in front of him with acceleration and has makeup speed deep. Possesses ball skills that defensive back coaches covet. Gets his head around to find ball on downfield throws and has excellent disruptive timing when attacking the throw. Instinctive and quick to diagnose and react to his keys. Allowed just 40 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed over last two years. Has feel for routes and will adjust coverage accordingly. Had three interceptions and scored two defensive touchdowns this season.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/305666
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by FNQ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 am

Would hate William Jackson with our 1st. In fact, the 'gurus' that think we'd draft a DB in the 1st round when we primarily use a Cover 3 defense.. it defies logic. If anything, we might take Hargreaves because he's a potential lockdown DB.

As for Will Fuller, don't worry about it. No way we're in on him, a one dimensional speed-ster WR. A 1st round pick in this era needs to be someone who can contribute and be a value pick, and guys like him are not that. But despite that (IMO, obvious) reasoning, some NFL team might draft him in the 1st round, and they will hope that he has a Lee Evans-like career.

A'Shawn Robinson is also tumbling down draft boards for being a one note type player, a run stuffing DT. (would actually prefer teammate Jarran Reed, who I feel is more responsible for Robinson's ascent) If we're going DT, there's 2 main targets I want: Rankins - who I'm becoming down on as he's not the Aaron Donald clone he's being touted as - and Vernon Butler, who's an incredible athlete that has yet to turn it into finite production. Personally I'm leaning towards Butler right now, because paired with Dan Williams I think he could generate a legitimate interior pass rush.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/vernon-butler?id=2555243

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sheldon-rankins?id=2555242

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ashawn-robinson?id=2555265
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#26 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Do you not like Rankins or has Aaron Donald spoiled your view of interior tackles?

Much like JJ Watt may spoil people's view of 3-4 DEs.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by FNQ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:58 pm

I do like Rankins, but enough to take him at 14? I'm starting to waver there. He's undersized, which is really polarizing. You have to have great quickness to overcome that, and Rankins isn't that quick. Footspeed sure, but to play undersized (3 downs) you have to be quick around the block too.. I don't see it. Add into that that he doesn't play into our versatility angle (not quick enough to play DE, not large enough to be anything but a 4-3 DT), and I dont think we can maximize this particular player. If we ran a straight 4-3 all the time and really committed to it, I'd be more into Rankins.. but since we aren't, I like Butler over him currently
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#28 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:46 pm

I liked Rankins a lot but I see where you're coming from.

Sucks to see A'Shawn slide down the board like that.

Just took a quick glance at their NFL draft profiles. It said Jarran Reed was ineffective as a pass rusher and Butler can "dent the pocket". I haven't taken a good look at them or read everything about hem but I definitely want an interior tackle who can make an impact in the pass rush, so QBs just can't step up and avoid Mack (and Aldon later in the year).

Looks like the value for safeties in this draft is in the 2nd round or later.
I'd like to get Karl Joseph there. Two veterans to learn from and with the two vets here, his medicals aren't nearly as much of a problem in 2016.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#29 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:01 am

This is it.

Draft is about to start.
Dilly
Junior
And1: 73

Post#30 » by Dilly » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:23 am

Still some great players left I'm hoping Jack or Har
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#31 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:28 am

Jack has admitted that he has a degenerative issue in his knee and might need microfracture surgery in the future.

I sincerely hope our front office is not playing fast and loose with him. He's falling to us and we're going to have to make a choice on him. Please don't gamble on this guy if the medicals aren't there.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#32 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:48 am

Tunsil ALMOST fell to us. IDK if Reggie makes that pick, but what a dominant line that would give us... who cares if he smokes weed.

So who's the pick now? I hope we don't trade back... maybe that hard hitting safety Joseph?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#33 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:50 am

Joseph it is - good pick

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#34 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:56 am

Joseph is an excellent pick.

I hope the medicals are clear.
thank god we passed on Jack.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:38 am

Dilly
Junior
And1: 73

Post#36 » by Dilly » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I'm praying my raiders take a chance on Myles or Jaylen. HOF potential to great 2 pass up
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:02 am

Cowboys select Jaylon Smith.
Great pick.

We're up next
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:05 am

Willie Brown tells the crowd "Hold on, settle down." lol
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:07 am

Jihad Ward

Overview

Considering that Jihad (pronounced juh-HODD) Ward went from receiver/safety to the defensive line during his time in junior college, the sky's the limit once he really knows what to do with his size and strength. He was an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection by league coaches (51 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, four fumble recoveries) in his first season with the Illini, playing inside and outside and using his huge wingspan to swallow ball carriers. Ward, who wears jersey number 17 because that was his mother’s age when he was born, didn’t have the same production as a senior (3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks) but still earned honorable mention notice due to his strong play.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 5.07 seconds
Vertical: 28 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 2 inches
Short shuttle: 4.86 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.3 seconds
Bench: 22 reps of 225 pounds
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jihad-ward?id=2555248
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#40 » by Neddy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:41 am

I'm glad we got the guys in positions where we needed to fill but talent wise, I can't stop thinking that we reached on both guys so far.

hope we compensate this need over best available tactics with a great steal in the third round.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders