ImageImageImageImage

2016 Offseason Moves

Moderator: NyCeEvO

Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

2016 Offseason Moves 

Post#1 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:38 pm

With all of our free agents, I personally would re-sign Jackson, Trevathan, Bruton and of course Miller. I think there are some opportunities to rework some contracts like Clady's. I would rather see Brock walk and retain our defense, than to see Jackson leave for instance. I would pursue a QB who makes good decisions and doesn't need a rocket arm. We are rumored to be after a QB in the second round and we are apparently in love with Wentz, who should be long gone and way too expensive to trade down for.

I haven't yet got turned on to the draft, but it seems offensive tackle is a position of need, as it is with virtually every team.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Re: 2016 Offseason Moves 

Post#2 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:07 pm

I love our draft and think we have a few players who can play immediately. The Von Miller saga has me concerned and the recent suggestion that Miller be traded for Kapernick and picks.

Makes some sense and there has to be concerns with Miller's stats continuing to decline.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#3 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I love our draft and think we have a few players who can play immediately. The Von Miller saga has me concerned and the recent suggestion that Miller be traded for Kapernick and picks.

Makes some sense and there has to be concerns with Miller's stats continuing to decline.

I like Miller but I do think the success has probably gotten to his head a bit.

If he's really about getting the most money, then I have no problem with him fighting for every dollar even at the risk of getting traded.
However, if he's serious about staying with the Broncos, don't mess around like this. Wade Phillips scheme and Miller's fellow defensive teammates enabled Von Miller to reach an all-new level in the playoffs. The Broncos would definitely miss him but he's not going to take the league by storm all on his lonesome.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#4 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:46 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:I love our draft and think we have a few players who can play immediately. The Von Miller saga has me concerned and the recent suggestion that Miller be traded for Kapernick and picks.

I like Miller but I do think the success has probably gotten to his head a bit.

If he's really about getting the most money, then I have no problem with him fighting for every dollar even at the risk of getting traded.
However, if he's serious about staying with the Broncos, don't mess around like this. Wade Phillips scheme and Miller's fellow defensive teammates enabled Von Miller to reach an all-new level in the playoffs. The Broncos would definitely miss him but he's not going to take the league by storm all on his lonesome.

I get the impression he is about the money more than being a Bronco, though he would prefer both, he probably needs to understand it's a business and Elway isn't going to give him the farm. I do think Elway sort of low balled him this last offer, but after looking at it, I think Elway is spot on. The reason that Marshall became a priority with a long term deal, was his impact on the field. Marshall is our top tackler and that carries a lot of weight. The knock on Miller, though he has improved is defending the run and covering backs and tight ends. The Super Bowl showed that Miller has dramatically improved, however his overall stats don't show him to be elite in any of those areas. His sacks have been in decline and Elway probably believes he has peaked and is on a downward trend.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.

By the way I know Von's father, who has been tight lipped about the negotiations.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#5 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm hoping the running game will be improved with better line play. Amazing we won a Super Bowl with such a patchwork line. I was disappointed that we re-signed Hillman. That huge turnover of not picking up the lateral against the Patriots almost cost us that game. On top of that he is too prone to turn the ball over. I think the drafting of Booker will cause Hillman to get cut . CJ really surprised me last season and I'm glad he is back. He ranks right up there with yards after initial contact. If we can run the ball, behind a full back and two tight end sets and set up the pass with play action/roll outs, I could see our defense getting more rest.

I don't think we can rely on the defense as much as we did last season. We were very lucky that we got some key breaks and the defense was stellar when needed or we easily could have had a couple more losses and been on the road in the playoffs.

I predict Gotsis will become an animal inside for us in the near future.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 56,892

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I'm hoping the running game will be improved with better line play. Amazing we won a Super Bowl with such a patchwork line. I was disappointed that we re-signed Hillman. That huge turnover of not picking up the lateral against the Patriots almost cost us that game. On top of that he is too prone to turn the ball over. I think the drafting of Booker will cause Hillman to get cut . CJ really surprised me last season and I'm glad he is back. He ranks right up there with yards after initial contact. If we can run the ball, behind a full back and two tight end sets and set up the pass with play action/roll outs, I could see our defense getting more rest.

I don't think we can rely on the defense as much as we did last season. We were very lucky that we got some key breaks and the defense was stellar when needed or we easily could have had a couple more losses and been on the road in the playoffs.

What makes you think you can't rely on defense this year? They were crazy good last year. The way they played in the super bowl was great. The division might be tougher but I'd probably put you guys at the top, even without a great qb. Love the AFC West though. Always exciting.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#7 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:50 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:I'm hoping the running game will be improved with better line play. Amazing we won a Super Bowl with such a patchwork line. I was disappointed that we re-signed Hillman. That huge turnover of not picking up the lateral against the Patriots almost cost us that game. On top of that he is too prone to turn the ball over. I think the drafting of Booker will cause Hillman to get cut . CJ really surprised me last season and I'm glad he is back. He ranks right up there with yards after initial contact. If we can run the ball, behind a full back and two tight end sets and set up the pass with play action/roll outs, I could see our defense getting more rest.

What makes you think you can't rely on defense this year? They were crazy good last year. The way they played in the super bowl was great. The division might be tougher but I'd probably put you guys at the top, even without a great qb. Love the AFC West though. Always exciting.

The defense was great last season and should be just as good this season. The problem was the offense turning the ball over and I think there was something like 31 times they coughed the ball up. I have no faith that Sanchez can do much better and in fact I think it will be worse. There was some really fluky wins last season in games they shouldn't have won, except for the defense scoring or providing a key turnover. I think you are playing with fire. I have no faith in the Denver QBs being able to keep from turning the ball over.

I think the Chiefs are the team to beat in the West. Think they have caught a little bit of the Charger bug and lose when they shouldn't.

I'm a huge Rivers fan. I haven't been able to grasp why the Chargers haven't been able to get over the hump. So many years of teasing us with their potential, to end up being mediocre. Very little expectations this season, but I think that unfortunately is accurate.

Return to Denver Broncos