Re: Andrea Bargnani Signed 2 Year Contract With EuroLeague Team Saski Baskonia 

Post#21 » by OmegaAtrocity » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#22 » by Mr Loggins » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Nolan wrote:
naabzor wrote:He averaged 14.3 and 4.6 in 28 minutes in the NBA. Not first selection material but not that bad, I thought he can be given another chance in the NBA nut injuries really slowed him down the last years. I always thought he can be a very impactful player in europe, it's time to ball now, no excuses.

Injuries weren't his biggest issue. It really seemed like he just stopped caring.

He had an NBA ready body

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#23 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Vonneguts wrote:This is a sign of how euro basketball is changing. All these players have played for Baskonia in their primes: Prigioni, young Calderon, young Dragic, Huertas, Nocioni, Scola, Splitter, Oberto...

A couple of years ago they signed a washed up Odom and now this. Oh Lord....

I am not following you. Euro basketball changing how exactly, I am seriously have no idea what you are trying to say. Its a typical NBA wash out signing, he have those every year.
The Flying Gent
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Post#24 » by The Flying Gent » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:01 pm

alexb618 wrote:he is not as bad as people say, his biggest problem was he was a #1 pick and could never live up to it

His biggest problem is his head. There was no reason he couldn't have lived up to the #1 selection with his realistic potential skills and physical abilities. For whatever reasons, whether he's lazy or doesn't love the game or both or more, he just didn't have the right mentality for it.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,714

Post#25 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Why would he leave the NBA now when big contracts are thrown around like candy. Johnson on the heat got 12M... my lordy
Vonneguts
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#26 » by Vonneguts » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:29 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Vonneguts wrote:This is a sign of how euro basketball is changing. All these players have played for Baskonia in their primes: Prigioni, young Calderon, young Dragic, Huertas, Nocioni, Scola, Splitter, Oberto...

I am not following you. Euro basketball changing how exactly, I am seriously have no idea what you are trying to say. Its a typical NBA wash out signing, he have those every year.

I just wanted to point that 10 years ago real stars played in Europe and that now there are just Bargnanis.
blitz41
Rookie
And1: 759

Post#27 » by blitz41 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Keep cashing them cheques big fella
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#28 » by magnumt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:35 pm

To the International Boards...

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#29 » by Throwback24 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 pm

One of the greatet euro players to grace the NBA, see sya later Bargs
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,490

Post#30 » by Duffman100 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Conditioning was his downfall. He clearly didn't put work in the offseason, he never really improved after his rookie season.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#31 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Vonneguts wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I just wanted to point that 10 years ago real stars played in Europe and that now there are just Bargnanis.

Teodosic, DeColo, Bourousis, Llull, Heurtel, Printezis are all in their primes and play in Europe. I dont think those names are worse than the ones you mentioned. I think the level of competition is pretty much the same. Baskonia itself is definitely not as good as it was in 2000s, while they still had prime Scola and Macijauskas, but just this past season they reached final 4 and they had Bourousis and Hanga playing best seasons in their careers.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#32 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:07 pm

When they signed Odom it was a pure gimmick marketing deal. They were trying to get some fans to show up to seem him. The owner even admitted that. He was the team's 3rd string center the entire time he was there. That signing had nothing to do with basketball.

As for the signing of Bargnani, they lost their main center in Ioannis Bourousis to free agency, so it makes sense that they signed him. He was simply an available free agent option. I guarantee you he would in no way be their first, second, or even third choice of a free agent.

r0drig0lac wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Bertans replacement, outch. Well, maýyyyybe he will do well, will definitely keep an eye on him. Wonder what his inicial fantasy cost gonna be?

He is absolutely without any doubt the replacement for Bourousis, and not Bertans. Bertans played SF the entire time he was in Baskonia. And no way in the world can Bargnani play SF or PF in EuroLeague, with all of the small ball that is played there.

Vonneguts wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

None of those players were stars, except Scola (and he was not even considered at the elite level, he was a star, not a superstar) when they played with Baskonia. In fact, Dragic would be considered an end of the bench scrub at that time. And seriously...Prigioni and Oberto were never anything remotely close to being stars in EuroLeague. They were role players their entire careers, everywhere they played.

Also, EuroLeague is miles and miles better than it was 10 years ago. If you claim otherwise, you certainly have not seen any EuroLeague games recently.

UcanUwill wrote:
Vonneguts wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Teodosic, DeColo, Bourousis, Llull, Heurtel, Printezis are all in their primes and play in Europe. I dont think those names are worse than the ones you mentioned. I think the level of competition is pretty much the same. Baskonia itself is definitely not as good as it was in 2000s, while they still had prime Scola and Macijauskas, but just this past season they reached final 4 and they had Bourousis and Hanga playing best seasons in their careers.

EuroLeague is way, way better than it was 10 years ago. 10 years ago the league had 4 good teams (Maccabi, CSKA, Baskonia, and Panathinaikos). Now it has like 14 teams that have rosters as good or better than what those teams had 10 years ago. The biggest budget in EuroLeague 10 years ago was 15 million dollars. Now the biggest budget is 42 million dollars, and only 3 teams in the whole league have a budget at or below 15 million dollars.

It's not even in the same realm of comparison.

10 years ago, teams could not have any success without a high budget, and now, even teams with smaller budgets are very highly competitive, because the depth and quality of the league is so much stronger. Team likes Brose or Baskonia (smaller budgets) doing well....that would never happen 10 years ago. Because back then, a small budget meant 2-3 million dollars, and not much of a team at all. Now, even a team like Brose has a 17 million dollar budget, and so they can sign a bunch of good players.

Conversely, the big teams, with big budgets didn't get worse, except for Maccabi, and Panathinaikos, but even in the case of Panathinaikos, they greatly increased their budget this year, back to where they could sign any player they wanted to. So really, only one big team declined, while the rest of the league definitely got better. Look at a roster CSKA had 10 years ago, and it's nowhere near as deep or strong as what they have now. The same with teams like Barca, Real Madrid, Olympiacos, Fener, Milano, and so forth.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,715

Post#33 » by naabzor » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:03 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
Nolan wrote:
naabzor wrote:He averaged 14.3 and 4.6 in 28 minutes in the NBA. Not first selection material but not that bad, I thought he can be given another chance in the NBA nut injuries really slowed him down the last years. I always thought he can be a very impactful player in europe, it's time to ball now, no excuses.

Injuries weren't his biggest issue. It really seemed like he just stopped caring.

He had an NBA ready body

This is really unfair to him. I don't want to say he is a great player but defintely he is not an unprofessional one. He played well for his first six seasons in Toronto. He was improving. Him and Bosh were the best bigs scoring duo in the NBA at a certain point in time if I recall correctly. He was not perfect by any means and did not pan out as expected but he was an ok player most of his career in the NBA.

This is Bargnani, for me:

He was never by any stretch of the imagination a center. He was a small forward, a power forward AT BEST. Toronto killed him making him gain too much weight and easily negated what made him good in the first place, his speed, dribble and mobility at his height, combined with a great jumper.

History can't be re-written, unfortunately, but to me Bargnani wasted his potential in Toronto playing a style of basketball he is not good at.

Return to International Basketball