ImageImageImageImageImage

Baalke's drafting record

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Re: Baalke's drafting record 

Post#41 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:26 am

Tomikcon1971 wrote:Hey it works. Sickness does have useful info from time to time. ;)

Looks good
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#42 » by wco81 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Another article that goes over drafts. This one goes back to Donahue's drafts.

I think it omits Crabtree, who did have a good season and parts of others before being let to. I don't know who was the GM who drafted him but Singletary was the coach.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/who-built-49ers-and-ones-who-got-away
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#43 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:07 pm

wco81 wrote:Another article that goes over drafts. This one goes back to Donahue's drafts.

I think it omits Crabtree, who did have a good season and parts of others before being let to. I don't know who was the GM who drafted him but Singletary was the coach.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/who-built-49ers-and-ones-who-got-away

That was in 2009, so McCloughan drafted him. He was the GM until March 2010. McCloughan was pretty good, he did have a couple clunkers - 2008 was a disaster and 2009 was as well with the exception of Crabtree, who is decent, but definitely a reach for a top 10.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#44 » by I_am_1z » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:02 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
wco81 wrote:Matavias Bryant, whom people were talking about here before the 2014 draft, scored 2 TDs, including an electrifying catch and run that broke the game open today.

He has 10 TDs in 11 games played.

Here are the players whom the 49ers drafted BEFORE Bryant was selected #118 overall in the fourth round:

Code: Select all

2014,1,30,Jimmie Ward,DB,2015,0,0,0,1,13,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Northern Illinois
2014,2,57,Carlos Hyde,RB,2015,0,0,0,2,19,,,,,,166,708,7,21,116,0,,,Ohio St.
2014,3,70,Marcus Martin,C,2015,0,0,1,4,13,,,,,,,,,,,,,,USC
2014,3,77,Chris Borland,LB,2014,0,0,1,6,14,,,,,,,,,,,,2,1.0,Wisconsin
2014,3,100,Brandon Thomas,OL,2014,0,0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Clemson
2014,4,106,Bruce Ellington,WR,2015,0,0,0,1,16,,,,,,6,28,1,10,106,2,,,South Carolina

So far you'd have to say Bryant is a better player than all of these, except for maybe Hyde and only because Hyde is going to get more touches.

Maybe it's the scouts?

I'm gonna have to say yes the scouts/WR coaches play a part. Every year we talk up WRs on this board and just about every year the team passes on them even in draft classes so loaded it seems like a no-brainer. This has been going on since before Baalke. The ones they do draft immediately have us scratching our heads.

WRs we liked on here off the top of my head that we passed on:
Antonio Bryant
DeSean Jackson (was a local player that had a lot of love on here drafted Balmer and Rachal before instead)
Brandon Marshall (Pozz and I loved him but we took Brandon Williams a round before)
James Jones another local player (Pozz and I loved him took Jason Hill two picks before
Mario Manningham (wanna say Mac liked him)
Doug Baldwin (didn't draft and I wanted him so bad)
Jeffrey (Was my favorite of the bunch)
Hopkins (Pozz, myself and Clyde I think loved him)
Moncrief (Was my draft crush)
Bryant and Arob (1z loved them)
JMat (Clyde loved him)

I really liked Roddy White but I wouldn't have taken him #1 overall.

As for WRs we did draft that some on here liked:
Tai Streets (Mac liked him?, Derrick Hamilton (Pozz liked him?), Brandon Lloyd (DH loved him), Josh Morgan (I liked him) and Crabtree (Bingo and some others maybe Dodub were ok with it)

Also liked Paul Richardson more than most, he's coming back this week faster than ever supposedly.
wco81
RealGM

Post#45 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:34 am

wco81
RealGM

Post#46 » by wco81 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:14 pm

From another forum quoting a Bleacher Report column:

"Against the Seahawks, Ward gave up seven catches on seven targets for 91 yards and one touchdown, according to Pro Football Focus. He looked lost. He has allowed a passer rating of 116.3 this season. The Niners should stop asking Ward to play man coverage. Play him at safety or trade him to a team that will."
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#47 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:36 pm

wco81 wrote:From another forum quoting a Bleacher Report column:

"Against the Seahawks, Ward gave up seven catches on seven targets for 91 yards and one touchdown, according to Pro Football Focus. He looked lost. He has allowed a passer rating of 116.3 this season. The Niners should stop asking Ward to play man coverage. Play him at safety or trade him to a team that will."

Wasn't Ward also on Lockett man coverage during the game? That is a big mismatch.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#48 » by zman1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:02 pm

It SHOULD be apparent to the current braintrust that they have no clue on speed players or WR. The only good WR we have had have come from established vets. Our attempts have drafts have utterly failed. They need to acknowledge this and fix it, better scouting, drafting and/or coaching or whatever. Likely scouting/drafting as I do not see Jenkins or LMJ catching on with anyone else, indicating they never had NFL talent.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#49 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:43 pm

zman1 wrote:It SHOULD be apparent to the current braintrust that they have no clue on speed players or WR. The only good WR we have had have come from established vets. Our attempts have drafts have utterly failed. They need to acknowledge this and fix it, better scouting, drafting and/or coaching or whatever. Likely scouting/drafting as I do not see Jenkins or LMJ catching on with anyone else, indicating they never had NFL talent.

100% correct. I am still holding out hope for Ellington to be that speed guy on passing downs. He has been derailed by injuries but we've seen a glimpse of what he can do. Hopefully he can become another speed guy.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#50 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:12 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Wasn't Ward also on Lockett man coverage during the game? That is a big mismatch.

As much as I agree that Ward is a natural safety, the lack of pass rush cannot be stated enough. A decent secondary has been torched this season because of it.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#51 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:00 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

As much as I agree that Ward is a natural safety, the lack of pass rush cannot be stated enough. A decent secondary has been torched this season because of it.

Hasn't helped. I feel Ward can be a nice role player at this point but won't live up to the 1st round status Baalke drafted him at.
wco81
RealGM

Post#52 » by wco81 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:03 am

That TD he got beat on had nothing to do with pass rush. Lockett blew by him at the line and Wilson just lofted the ball ahead.

Wilson didn't have to hold the ball because Lockett was one or two steps ahead about 10 yards after the LOS. Defense was spread out so nobody over the top to help.

Now maybe it was a technique thing but how do you not give any cushion to someone with that much speed?

Did the DC call for press coverage across the board?
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#53 » by zman1 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
zman1 wrote:It SHOULD be apparent to the current braintrust that they have no clue on speed players or WR. The only good WR we have had have come from established vets. Our attempts have drafts have utterly failed. They need to acknowledge this and fix it, better scouting, drafting and/or coaching or whatever. Likely scouting/drafting as I do not see Jenkins or LMJ catching on with anyone else, indicating they never had NFL talent.

100% correct. I am still holding out hope for Ellington to be that speed guy on passing downs. He has been derailed by injuries but we've seen a glimpse of what he can do. Hopefully he can become another speed guy.

Well, kinda grasping at straws at this point. Has the guy really ever made a big play at all? I miss a lot of the action so maybe it has happened and I did not see it or just do not remember it. To me he looks like another underperformer.
generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

Post#54 » by generaldreedle » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:39 pm

I think he's just whiffed on too many choices, that's the bottom line. With all the extra picks he accumulated over the years I wouldn't expect that we'd be so unable to deal with both unanticipated and regular player departures.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#55 » by Pattersonca65 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:02 pm

zman1 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Well, kinda grasping at straws at this point. Has the guy really ever made a big play at all? I miss a lot of the action so maybe it has happened and I did not see it or just do not remember it. To me he looks like another underperformer.

Ellington? He has missed a lot of time due to injuries and hasn't done anything noteworthy in special teams. I don't think they ever really got him involved in the passing game although the same thing could be said for Torrey Smith who is supposed to be the #2 guy.
wco81
RealGM

Post#56 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:37 pm

Posted in the playoffs thread but watching Bryant play for the Steelers makes your blood boil:

How did Trent not draft Martavias Bryant?

49ers drafted the following players before Bryant:

1(30). Jimmie Ward, defensive back, Northern Illinois
2(57). Carlos Hyde, running back, Ohio State
3(70). Marcus Martin, center, Southern California
3(77). Chris Borland, inside linebacker, Wisconsin
3(100). Brandon Thomas, offensive lineman, Clemson
4(106). Bruce Ellington, wide receiver, South Carolina

Bryant was the 118th pick of the draft.

Thomas has been an absolute waste of a pick.

Ellington could be if he doesn't produce going forward.

Borland was a waste but they couldn't foresee that, unless they had a chance to really interview him before the draft.

Martin has been needed this year because of the injury to Kilgore but he seems like a backup, no pro bowl potential at all.

Hyde and Ward may turn out to be okay picks but neither has had the impact that Bryant has in their short careers.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#57 » by Jikkle » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:02 pm

The draft is almost upon us and I can only hope against hope the addition of Kelly and staff will help improve Baalke's hit rate on offensive guys which has been horrid in his tenure.

And while not likely I hope Baalke is more aggressive in maneuvering up the draft and obtaining higher quality players. The roster most definitely doesn't need more 5th and 6th round talent and him taking another 12 players.

Baalke has actually done a solid job in the later rounds adding guys that would be good as STers and depth but what's killing the team is that it lacks elite talent and that's partially due to Baalke whiffing far too much in the earlier rounds and him not using the draft currency he's built up to get in positions to add players with more potential and talent.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#58 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33 pm

wco81 wrote:Posted in the playoffs thread but watching Bryant play for the Steelers makes your blood boil:

How did Trent not draft Martavias Bryant?

49ers drafted the following players before Bryant:

1(30). Jimmie Ward, defensive back, Northern Illinois
2(57). Carlos Hyde, running back, Ohio State
3(70). Marcus Martin, center, Southern California
3(77). Chris Borland, inside linebacker, Wisconsin
3(100). Brandon Thomas, offensive lineman, Clemson
4(106). Bruce Ellington, wide receiver, South Carolina

Bryant was the 118th pick of the draft.

Thomas has been an absolute waste of a pick.

Ellington could be if he doesn't produce going forward.

Borland was a waste but they couldn't foresee that, unless they had a chance to really interview him before the draft.

Martin has been needed this year because of the injury to Kilgore but he seems like a backup, no pro bowl potential at all.

Hyde and Ward may turn out to be okay picks but neither has had the impact that Bryant has in their short careers.

Obviously responding to a pretty old post, but Bryant fell as far as he did for a reason, and he's missing next season because of it. Talent was never a question with the guy, it was his ability to stay clean. So far, he has not demonstrated an ability to do that....
wco81
RealGM

Post#59 » by wco81 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:45 pm

So they just traded Brandon Thomas for Jerome Kerley. At least Kerley has gotten snaps in the league. According to CSNBA, Thomas has never appeared in a game with the 49ers, meaning no regular season or playoffs game, not exhibition.

I don't know the full scorecard for the redshirts but off the top of my head:

1. Marcus Lattimore - retired, never played.
2. Kenneth Acker - played one season, traded away for 7th pick.
3. Brandon Thomas - never played, traded for journeyman WR, waste of 3rd round pick.
4. Tank Carradine - limited playing time, position change.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#60 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Dial would probably technically count as a red shirt, and he's panned out. For a 7th rounder, Acker was worthwhile based on what he did last year alone. Lattimore I'll give a pass on because he was huge risk, huge reward. Carradine has been bad - and asking him to change positions no doubt contributed to that. Thomas is a major disappointment to me, as well. I liked both of those picks a lot when we made them. I think Looney was also an injury guy and we all know how that went. Guys like Ramsey and Millard were red shirt types, but they were picked so late that it's not really fair to consider them that way.

Man, that Marcus Martin, Borland, Thomas stretch in 2014 really blew what otherwise has the makings of a pretty strong draft. Tough to fault Baalke for Borland, but still. Got to ferret out desire and commitment to the game.

Return to San Francisco 49ers