Moderator: THE J0KER

90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

FIBA ball is more entertaining than current NBA 

Post#1 » by 90sgoat » Sun Aug 7, 2016 7:17 pm

Yo RealGM,

Do you share my opinion?

I've watched ball since around 1992 with the Dream Team, watched MJ, Shaq and Kobe Lakers, Lebron etc.

I am now watching the Olympics and way way more entertained by it than I've been in the NBA since Lakers with Shaq.

The main reason is that the rules resemble basketball unlike NBA. In FIBA they still call carry, they call travel, they call offensive fouls when they're offensive (looking at you Lebron), they don't allow multiple second continuations, they don't allow 3 steps only 2, they have centers in the lane (BIG!!).

FIBA now sort of resembles NBA in the 90s. NBA now sort of resembles FIBA in the 90s. NBA is a strange game which has little to do with basketball with all the strange rules: the 3 steps, the legality of carry and palming, the defensive 3 seconds. It's more of a Harlem Globetrotters of athlecisim now.

What do you think?
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 930

Re: FIBA ball is more entertaining than current NBA 

Post#2 » by perempe20 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 9:51 pm

I AGREE. Extra step rule in the NBA is a joke, it's not handball! and no mercy for star players.

I hate the stars who didn't go to Rio, they're not true US players. Stern would have shot them. (As it's not a good ad for the NBA.)
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 641

Post#3 » by Pipp33 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 11:42 pm

90sgoat wrote:Yo RealGM,

Do you share my opinion?

I've watched ball since around 1992 with the Dream Team, watched MJ, Shaq and Kobe Lakers, Lebron etc.

I am now watching the Olympics and way way more entertained by it than I've been in the NBA since Lakers with Shaq.

The main reason is that the rules resemble basketball unlike NBA. In FIBA they still call carry, they call travel, they call offensive fouls when they're offensive (looking at you Lebron), they don't allow multiple second continuations, they don't allow 3 steps only 2, they have centers in the lane (BIG!!).

FIBA now sort of resembles NBA in the 90s. NBA now sort of resembles FIBA in the 90s. NBA is a strange game which has little to do with basketball with all the strange rules: the 3 steps, the legality of carry and palming, the defensive 3 seconds. It's more of a Harlem Globetrotters of athlecisim now.

What do you think?

I agree, but the NBA is an Entertainment business more so now than ever before and those rule changes allow for the flashy plays. I prefer the 90's ball, but I can't see that returning. The teams I enjoy watching in the NBA are the ones that pass - Warriors/Spurs. All this ISO play drives me nuts. Watching Harden bounce the ball for 15 secs before driving is not good basketball to watch.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the first few games of the Olympics, the USA v China game was boring, but that was the biggest mismatch of the round. Australia v France was entertaining and the big men got their hands on the ball and there was tough play from both sides.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#4 » by 90sgoat » Mon Aug 8, 2016 2:43 am

I will backtrack a bit here, since I now watched more games. I understand better why they NBA has the rules they have. FIBA ball does seem to bog down in periods with a lot of paint camping and lack of above the rim play and individual iso play. There's not enough x factor in FIBA. However, the game is much more comparable to the game I have played, you can identify the situations. I think the NBA before the 00s had the right idea by disallowing full zone, but still calling the game tight. It created a more dynamic but still fundamentally sound game. The NBA with full zone would be interesting though, I think we would see more fastbreaking, a lot more, in order to counter zone defense. NBA players have better range too.

Funny thing is that it is very obvious watching Spain and Argentina where Popovich got his inspiration and where Warriors also got theirs. Those two teams are basically playing a classic FIBA style, but made too easy with the lack of ability to defend penetration.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#5 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:17 am

90sgoat wrote:Yo RealGM,

Do you share my opinion?

What do you think?

NBA is not just basketball, it is first and foremost a product that wants to sell. As a product it must appeal to a wide range of audiences, not just hardcore basketball fans. NBA is global. Would a man in a faraway country with no basketball tradition ever notice the things you mention? No. But he will potentially buy a hat, a jersey a cable subscription or a league pass, therefore the product must be appealing to him too.

Int'l basketball only makes a half-ass effort to be a product. They do have some sponsors and marketing people but they don't really allow them to take over and run the show in a systematic manner. The downside of this is that they lose most of the money (and therefore the best players) to the NBA. The upside is that basketball people run it, and they can only worry about hardcore basketball audiences if they want to.

Personally I love NBA, mostly for the crazy amount of talent it collects.
But think about this: if an NBA team is good, what does that say for the city?
That people in that city are good in basketball and it produces a lot of talent? Nope.
That it has lots of fans who love the game? maybe yes maybe no
That it's a huge basketball market? Not necessarily
That it has a tradition in the sport? Not really
Basically If an NBA team is good it says something about their GM. An it also says that the NBA has an inherent boob-bust cycle built in that pretty much guarantees that all teams will take turns at being good at some point in time. We gotta sell those jerseys, all markets must have hope.

In Int'l basketball however, good teams are where good basketball is. There is no inherent boom and bust cycle with lottery picks etc like in the NBA. Sometimes there are dynasties that last forever, and there are small teams in basketball cities that produce heaps of talent and everybody respects them for it. This makes people love their teams in a different level, because if their team is good it actually says something about them and their city.

NBA is showtime man, and it brings money and exposure to the sport. It is essential and it is awesome.
Those of us with insatiable basketball appetites and a more nostalgic view of the sport can also watch some Euro and Olympics on the side :D
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,552

Post#6 » by UcanUwill » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:55 pm

The whole stoppage and timeout length in the NBA is unbearable. Thats what kills it for me. Feels like a chore when I watch it. The product on the floor is still the most entertaining, but these stoppages...
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#7 » by TheTrooper » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:26 pm

UcanUwill wrote:The whole stoppage and timeout length in the NBA is unbearable. Thats what kills it for me. Feels like a chore when I watch it. The product on the floor is still the most entertaining, but these stoppages...

Start watching a game at 1 AM, it finishes about 3 something. It really takes some will to stay up so late to finish a game (if it doesn't go into overtime) if you need to be at work/school in the morning.
Also all those fast food commercials just open up your appetite at the worst moment of the day. :lol:
Goon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,332

Post#8 » by Goon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:47 pm

TheTrooper wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:The whole stoppage and timeout length in the NBA is unbearable. Thats what kills it for me. Feels like a chore when I watch it. The product on the floor is still the most entertaining, but these stoppages...

Start watching a game at 1 AM, it finishes about 3 something. It really takes some will to stay up so late to finish a game (if it doesn't go into overtime) if you need to be at work/school in the morning.
Also all those fast food commercials just open up your appetite at the worst moment of the day. :lol:

Try 4 haha. It often takes 3 f#$%&% hours to complete one game.

And not only do they have more timeouts, they are MUCH longer, and there are also sooo many commercial timeouts to add to it. Absolutely discraceful and shameless.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 3, 2016 11:13 pm

I never watch an NBA game live - my DVR has a button for jump-30 seconds or back-10 seconds --- I use them A LOT!!!

Return to International Basketball