Expectations for Kevon Looney?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,556

Re: Expectations for Kevon Looney? 

Post#21 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:30 am

Onus wrote:I probably have the most unrealistic expectations for Looney but I'm really high on him. I think he cracks the rotation and is a contributor playing minutes in the playoffs.

I just don't see how a 6'10'' player with freakish length, using said length to be a disruption on defense, is a rebounding machine, and who can space the floor isn't a contributor in the NBA. The only thing holding him back from contributing is health.

I don't think he's an all star or anything (can't really create his own shot) but there's without a doubt a spot for him to get minutes.

I of course hope you are right, but what you are describing could also be someone talking about Ike Diogu if we back up a few years. Unless the one extra inch makes all the difference. I guess that isn't quite true; Ike was never going to space the floor. But plenty of guys who look like solid big men in college just never see it translate to the NBA.

Speaking of which, tomorrow is Ike's birthday. Who is hosting the party?

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#22 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Onus wrote:I probably have the most unrealistic expectations for Looney but I'm really high on him. I think he cracks the rotation and is a contributor playing minutes in the playoffs.

I just don't see how a 6'10'' player with freakish length, using said length to be a disruption on defense, is a rebounding machine, and who can space the floor isn't a contributor in the NBA. The only thing holding him back from contributing is health.

I don't think he's an all star or anything (can't really create his own shot) but there's without a doubt a spot for him to get minutes.

I of course hope you are right, but what you are describing could also be someone talking about Ike Diogu if we back up a few years. Unless the one extra inch makes all the difference. I guess that isn't quite true; Ike was never going to space the floor. But plenty of guys who look like solid big men in college just never see it translate to the NBA.

Except Ike was always the focal point of Zona State's offense, he was the Pac-10 low post scorer extraordinaire. When that didn't translate against NBA bigs he was left with no way to contribute.

Looney is longer and much more spry. There are reports that he's 240lbs. while Diogu was 255 and up his whole career. Looney is a smooth, gliding athlete that gets to the spot where the rebound comes down with ease. Diogu is a heavy footed plodder that can't navigate the paint to get anywhere and isn't enough of a leaper to reach over for rebounds. The physical differences between the two are stark.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#23 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Yes the offense ran through Ike at Arizona State. At UCLA Looney did what he without the offenserunning through him, and he had impact, like Onus said. What didn't translate was Ikes brain. He just wasn't a real smart hard worker.

The Warriors have been around Looney long enough to know if he is smart enough, or dedicated enough to work. He just needs to get his body right. I never strIke put the ball on the floor, or effectively pass. I have with Looney.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#24 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:07 pm

Funny what the last few years have done. I read your analysis purely with an eye towards defense, when I think you were largely talking about offense. When I looked back, I think I was remembering some stuff incorrectly about Ike in any case. But to be fair, it is questionable to say Looney is longer than Ike. Despite being 1 inch shorter, Ike had longer wingspan. And I do think people here lose track of how unusual it is for a rookie to really make impact. just look at the people who were saying we have center taken care of because we have Damian Jones, when not only has he never played a game, he is likely going to miss months of his rookie season.

Another fun fact I discovered along the way: at one point Ike was involved in a trade where one of the assets coming in return was the draft rights to Brandon Rush.

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,211

Post#25 » by Onus » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:44 am

i think the major difference is that Looney looked huge out in summer league, and he has elite center length at a 9'3.5'' reach
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,211

Post#26 » by Onus » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:48 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Funny what the last few years have done. I read your analysis purely with an eye towards defense, when I think you were largely talking about offense. When I looked back, I think I was remembering some stuff incorrectly about Ike in any case. But to be fair, it is questionable to say Looney is longer than Ike. Despite being 1 inch shorter, Ike had longer wingspan. And I do think people here lose track of how unusual it is for a rookie to really make impact. just look at the people who were saying we have center taken care of because we have Damian Jones, when not only has he never played a game, he is likely going to miss months of his rookie season.

Another fun fact I discovered along the way: at one point Ike was involved in a trade where one of the assets coming in return was the draft rights to Brandon Rush.

Defensively ... UCLA ran Looney out at the top of their 3-2 zone and he still led the team in rebounds and blocked shots. For someone so big, he's able to cover a lot of ground.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#27 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:05 am

Looney is a condor! Which means he's a scavenger that is perfectly happy picking up the scraps of others. He's also the largest flying land bird in the Western Hemisphere.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#28 » by Warriorfan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Looney can rebound and block shots that always has a direct correlation to the nba.

Measureables like length don't go away.

Plus the shooting for has potential and shooting can improve.

Future starting stretch center who only plays 20 min a game.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#29 » by Coxy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:20 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:Looney is a condor! Which means he's a scavenger that is perfectly happy picking up the scraps of others. He's also the largest flying land bird in the Western Hemisphere.

I don't know why, but I laughed and snorted at this post.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#30 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:08 pm

My expectations maybe unrealistic as well, but comparing Ike to Kevon IMO is a reach. Ike had a scorer mentality, while Looney is your lunch bucket kind of guy, with a hard hat. Ike will never play with the energy that Kevon will. Looney is a capable defender, while Ike struggled defensively. Ike's post game was negated in the NBA because he has no elevation and he could seldom use his strength to gain an advantage on his man. Even with Ike's wingspan, he was always considered undersized to play PF and 6'6". Ike is also is known for a poor work ethic and being stubborn towards his coaches.

There is another side of Looney that is being ignored and that is his work ethic and his compassion for the game. The kid has played hurt the past year and never complained. He played when he could have sat out, like the summer league games. I knew when he elected to play in those games rather than skip them, he would be judged by his injury plagued performance. So you know he is tough to be able to play through pain and that shows a true love of the game.

He has all of the elements of being a solid NBA player. The only doubts I have are regarding his health and if he can possible be healthy, I expect him in the rotation. He fits the team perfectly.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#31 » by old rem » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:43 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:

Except Ike was always the focal point of Zona State's offense, he was the Pac-10 low post scorer extraordinaire. When that didn't translate against NBA bigs he was left with no way to contribute.

Looney is longer and much more spry. There are reports that he's 240lbs. while Diogu was 255 and up his whole career. Looney is a smooth, gliding athlete that gets to the spot where the rebound comes down with ease. Diogu is a heavy footed plodder that can't navigate the paint to get anywhere and isn't enough of a leaper to reach over for rebounds. The physical differences between the two are stark.
Ike led the Pac 10 in scoring, rebounding, shot blocks. He led the NCAA in FTM and FTA.
While Mullin kept drafting to get SOME size... Nellie wanted to NOT play a PF.. Period. Ike a few times almost forced Nellie to adapt.. but Ike kept getting injuries. plodding/ The guy had PRIMO agility and moves in traffic. He had big wingspan.

Had Ike had any other coach and stayed HEALTHY.....he's as good as Millsap. He ain't the first guy or last who got a future damaged by being on GSW.
CENSORED... No comment.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#32 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:06 pm

old rem wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I of course hope you are right, but what you are describing could also be someone talking about Ike Diogu if we back up a few years. Unless the one extra inch makes all the difference. I guess that isn't quite true; Ike was never going to space the floor. But plenty of guys who look like solid big men in college just never see it translate to the NBA.

Ike led the Pac 10 in scoring, rebounding, shot blocks. He led the NCAA in FTM and FTA.
While Mullin kept drafting to get SOME size... Nellie wanted to NOT play a PF.. Period. Ike a few times almost forced Nellie to adapt.. but Ike kept getting injuries. plodding/ The guy had PRIMO agility and moves in traffic. He had big wingspan.

Had Ike had any other coach and stayed HEALTHY.....he's as good as Millsap. He ain't the first guy or last who got a future damaged by being on GSW.

Your hate of Nelson has you taking an odd take why Diogu never blossomed into the guy we all dreamed of. My understanding is Diogu is lazy. He doesn't have a strong work ethic and openly feuded with Nelson regarding what Nelson wanted him doing on the court. Not sure your take on Nelson not wanting to play a PF? I guess no one wanted to play Diogu they way he wanted to play?

Diogu carried excess weight in the form of fat. He couldn't get his ass off the ground and he is pretty slow and plodding. If he had the work ethic to go along with his abilities he would have been as good as Milsap, regardless of Nelson or any other coach. I lost respect for him when Nelson was telling him what he was doing wrong on the defensive end and Ike pointed at one of his teammates and starting yelling at Nelson. He was a Pacer not long after that.

Looney is motivated, hard working and Diogu thought he was entitled.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#33 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Funny what the last few years have done. I read your analysis purely with an eye towards defense, when I think you were largely talking about offense. When I looked back, I think I was remembering some stuff incorrectly about Ike in any case. But to be fair, it is questionable to say Looney is longer than Ike. Despite being 1 inch shorter, Ike had longer wingspan. And I do think people here lose track of how unusual it is for a rookie to really make impact. just look at the people who were saying we have center taken care of because we have Damian Jones, when not only has he never played a game, he is likely going to miss months of his rookie season.

I look at what Festus brought us as a rookie, when I think of Jones. I don't think Jones is as polished, however Jones has a much higher ceiling by a lot. Granted missing time most of this season isn't going to be good for the rookie's learning curve and if he is truly out that long, then I don't expect anything from him. I do think we are in good shape at the 5 going into next season. This team doesn't need your prototypical 5.

Back to Ike, he couldn't get off the ground ,regardless of his wing span. He had a below the rim game, on top of being a plodder.

Looney is 1 1/2" taller bare foot by the way and they both have the same wing span and Looney has an inch standing reach on Ike:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ike-Diogu-81/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevon-Looney-7156/

Looney is a hard worker, Ike isn't. Ike wouldn't listen or accept criticism and I'm pretty confident Looney will. One wants to succeed at this level, the other thought he was entitled.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#34 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:04 pm

This is sort of funny. I had remembered more buzz around Ike's potential as a rebounder and shot blocker. When I looked back at some sources, that really wasn't the case, and I conceded that it wasn't really a good apples and oranges comparison a while ago. So if you all want to keep comparing him to Ike, feel free, but don't do it on my account heh

I do think we tend to be way too optimistic about draft picks, and Looney is no exception. Neither is Jones. I guess having Monta and Draymond come out of the 2nd round has set that tone. And even Agent Zero, if we go back a few more years.

Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#35 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I think our front office overall done an excellent job in the draft. I think that is where my optimism comes from. They are not batting 1000, but it's as good, if not better than anyone else with similar picks.

I'm extremely high on Looney because he has the physical tools and a high work ethic. If healthy, I really believe he will be part of the rotation and that doesn't mean heavy minutes, but playing time as the game allows. I then hope his minutes increase as the season wears on.

Jones I'm also high on, but not as much as Looney. I do believe that the Warriors are going to get minutes out of him this season and there will be a contribution. I believe this, because of Festus. Jones is bigger, more athletic and has soft hands. He has a higher ceiling IMO than Festus and could end up being that inside rim protector we are all hoping for. A possible issue with Jones is a bad rap for disappearing in games and possible lacking the work ethic required to get to the next level. I'm hoping the high character guys on the team set an example for him and he dives in works hard. If he can accept the garbage and rim protector role, I think he will be fine.

Playing with solid vets, will pay big dividends and the nice thing is, these guys just need to play a role. They don't need to carry the team, they just need to be part of the system. I think Kerr will make things easy for them.

Hopefully Jones and Looney will be healthy through training camp. Missing a lot of time in your basic rookie season will make it hard to catch up.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,769

Post#36 » by floppymoose » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am

Looney is a homeless man's Jamal Mashburn
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,860

Post#37 » by 510TWSS » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:45 am

floppymoose wrote:Looney is a homeless man's Jamal Mashburn

At least the coaching staff has praised McCaw as a potential rotation player already. If looney busts it'd be nice if Pat turns into a Corey Brewer type player.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,769

Post#38 » by floppymoose » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:47 am

Yeah, I got nothin against McCaw. I'm not sure he'll make it but that's always the case at that pick. He seems like a reasonable gamble.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#39 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:39 am

floppymoose wrote:Looney is a homeless man's Jamal Mashburn

But on a more serious note, this is the first name that came to my mind:

The hottest of takes...
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,689

Post#40 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:03 pm

I think Looney will do fine, he's not coming into a big role and he's gonna get a lot of open looks in our system. Looney can be useful if we need a long 4 or a 5 who can put the ball on the floor. We can play a true 5 out with Looney in situations Speights excelled in. Kevon can rebound and disrupt the ball on defense some so he should be fine. I mean you have to be pretty bad to cost a team with our talent games so I don't expect much grumbling over Looneys performance.

Return to Golden State Warriors