Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Re: Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years 

Post#101 » by crkone » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Buckrageous wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I'm on the fence but ok with it. They told Lang they were going to do the young guys first. I think Lang will be extended. As will Tretter. Jones, Perry and Lacy will be interesting.

I hope they dont extend Lacy. The last thing you give an athlete that has trouble not being fat is job security.

Then you give him lesser guaranteed money and cut him if he can't keep his performance up.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Post#102 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:41 pm

I'm also hesitant to offer Lacy much guaranteed money. An incentive laden contract is fine. But all it takes is one interested team with some cap space and he's gone. I'd be fine with that. A reasonable contract with incentives or adios.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#103 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Last guy I would bring back is Lacy. Hates football, eats like a WOW player, doesn't get into shape for a contract year. RB is a clear position they should be looking to upgrade.
Do it for Chuck
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years 

Post#104 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
About a day after FA starts, he's not even gonna be in the top ten highest paid LTs. Hell, probably sooner. I can't believe anyone is overly hung up on this.

Another comment without thinking. Unless of course you think 7 other teams this offseason are handing our 12+ million a year extensions to their guys. But by all means continue on on thinking this wasn't an overpay or that it's a good deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

You have to look at other teams' spending habits in FA. The reason why the same teams are consistently bad, or perform at a level so much lower than they should, is because they MASSIVELY overpay for other teams' FAs. The Dolphins and Redskins, to name a few, always do it. To assume there isn't a single team out there that would offer more money than the Packers did to a 24 year old starting LT that protects the blindside of the best QB in the league is foolish.

Rodgers is closer to the end of his career than to the beginning of his career. If you have a LT that has proven he can get the job done, knows the system and wants to be part of a really good team, then you sign him to an extension, like we did. We don't have the time with Rodgers to have all the "what if's" fall into place.

That's fair and I understand and agree. That said "what ifs" will still be there when only two OLBs are under contract for next season along with Lacy and Cook.(although admittedly I'm not in favor of giving Lacy a huge deal and think RR takes more flack then he deserves but the OLBs next year is a big concern)

We're going to need "what ifs" to fall into place regardless the next couple year with young guys comming in. At least at Tackle we had a plan in place already

RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years 

Post#105 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:00 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Last guy I would bring back is Lacy. Hates football, eats like a WOW player, doesn't get into shape for a contract year. RB is a clear position they should be looking to upgrade.

Looked pretty in shape to me. And hey stay off the WoW players. I used to love that game pre Cata

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#106 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:46 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Last guy I would bring back is Lacy. Hates football, eats like a WOW player, doesn't get into shape for a contract year. RB is a clear position they should be looking to upgrade.

Im not worried about this simply because i dont see anyway the packers give him a long term deal. If he strikes out on the open market i could see him back on a short cheapish deal.

Honestly i think the packers 2017 starting rb is playing college football right now.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#107 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 pm

People think Lacy's looked good thus far? If there was a capable back on the market I'd think long and hard about cutting him. He's slow to the edge, and when he gets there he can't cut up the field. Also, color me unimpressed with this supposed work he did on his body and conditioning. He lost, what, 10 lbs? In eight months? For someone in a contract year, I would have thought he'd have made trimming up more of a priority.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#108 » by Buckrageous » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:People think Lacy's looked good thus far? If there was a capable back on the market I'd think long and hard about cutting him. He's slow to the edge, and when he gets there he can't cut up the field. Also, color me unimpressed with this supposed work he did on his body and conditioning. He lost, what, 10 lbs? In eight months? For someone in a contract year, I would have thought he'd have made trimming up more of a priority.

Agreed. I weigh 190 and I could lose 10lbs in a week if I had to. He still doesn't look like someone who dedicated their off season to fitness.

I wouldn't cut Lacy for him, but CJ Spiller was released today. I'd see what he has left. He certainly has more speed than the current backs and he can catch. He could at least take away carries from out $10mil/yr slot reciever.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#109 » by trwi7 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:01 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:People think Lacy's looked good thus far? If there was a capable back on the market I'd think long and hard about cutting him. He's slow to the edge, and when he gets there he can't cut up the field. Also, color me unimpressed with this supposed work he did on his body and conditioning. He lost, what, 10 lbs? In eight months? For someone in a contract year, I would have thought he'd have made trimming up more of a priority.

I think he looked good running between the tackles. It's this stupid coaching staff's fault that we keep running him to the edge. Even if he was like 215 and in shape, that still wouldn't be his strength, yet we keep doing it.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#110 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Buckrageous wrote:

Agreed. I weigh 190 and I could lose 10lbs in a week if I had to. He still doesn't look like someone who dedicated their off season to fitness.

I wouldn't cut Lacy for him, but CJ Spiller was released today. I'd see what he has left. He certainly has more speed than the current backs and he can catch. He could at least take away carries from out $10mil/yr slot reciever.

Right. If I simply stopped eating sugar and drinking booze for two weeks I'd lose 15+ lbs. Lacy's offseason doesn't seem impressive.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,475

Post#111 » by neiLz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Yeah the weight loss isn't impressive. I am 6'2 and weighed 294. Literally lost 15 lbs cutting out my beer and fast food with light cardio in 4 weeks. I probably could have lost at least 40-50lbs doing P90 X like lacy.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,475

Post#112 » by neiLz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:20 pm

trwi7 wrote:

I think he looked good running between the tackles. It's this stupid coaching staff's fault that we keep running him to the edge. Even if he was like 215 and in shape, that still wouldn't be his strength, yet we keep doing it.

Yep. the screen where he broke a tackle and exploded down the line along with the hand off he took up the middle for 20 plus yards was impressive. If they get him going north/south he looks pretty explosive. Any other type of run is a waste of a play.
crkone
RealGM

Post#113 » by crkone » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#114 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Just saw 10.7 mill in roster and workout bonuses next season for Bakhtiari. Any confirmation on the cap hit yet?

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#115 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Lacy looked fine running between the tackles. He still has that power and explosiveness when he's doing what he's best at. It's the stupid toss and stretch runs out of the shotgun that need to be eliminated whenever he's on the field. He's not an every-down back like McCarthy wants to believe he is.
crkone
RealGM

Post#116 » by crkone » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Details of David Bakhatiari's four-year contract extension are in. It includes $48 million in new money in addition to the $1,676,850 he was scheduled to make this season. Highlights include a $15 million signing bonus plus a $1 million roster bonus paid on Sept. 12. That's the only guaranteed money. Also includes roster bonuses of $1.196 million in 2017 (paid on fifth day of league year), $6 million in 2018 (fifth day of LY), $1.5 million in 2019 (fifth day of LY). He will count $4,019,700 against this year's salary cap, meaning the Packers still have more than $12 million in available space.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0568035819881764274-4

So he was paid $16 mil of his $48 mil contract this year and it only cost $4 mil against the cap. Comes out to $8 mil over the next 4 years. Unless I'm mistaken about what Demovsky said above, this is absolutely terrible news. 8-)

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crkone
RealGM

Post#117 » by crkone » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Cash value: $16,705,850

Salary-cap charge: $4,019,700

Signing bonus: $15 million ($5 million deferred until March 15, 2017)

Roster bonus: $1 million (paid on Sept. 12, considered "other amount treated as signing bonus" and prorated for salary-cap purposes)

Base salary: $700,000

Workout bonus: $5,850

Cash value: $2,971,000

Salary-cap charge: $6,171,000

Roster bonus: $1,196,000 (paid on fifth day of league year)

Weekly roster bonus: Up to $500,000 ($31,250 per game active)

Base salary: $775,000

Workout bonus: $500,000

Incentives: $500,000 for the Pro Bowl plus playoffs escalator

Cash value: $8 million

Salary-cap charge: $11.2 million

Roster bonus: $6 million (paid on fifth day of league year)

Base salary: $1 million

Cash value: $11 million

Salary-cap charge: $14.2 million

Roster bonus: $1.5 million (paid on fifth day of league year)

Base salary: $8.5 million

Cash value: $11 million

Salary-cap charge: $14.2 million

Base salary: $10 million

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/33353/packers-david-bakhtiari-is-now-nfls-fourth-highest-paid-offensive-tackle

Russ Ball is amazing.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#118 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 pm

Seems like a good structure. They saved money on next years cap with him only counting as 6mil. Then can get out from the deal anytime after 2017 without a huge dead money hit. Plus by the time he's a big cap hit the cap will likely have risen and if hes playing well hell be worth it and his number will probably be middle of the pack for starting left tackles with the way contract inflation works.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#119 » by RRyder823 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:07 pm

I'll retract my previous complaints. I still think the timing of the contract is off as I still think they could've signed him to this mid season or later and protected themselves a little more but this structure leaves plenty of cap room on the table the next few years which is the main concern.

Unless he's an All Pro by 2019 though the thought of him counting 14 million against is concerning though without a restructure

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#120 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:42 pm

RRyder823 wrote:I'll retract my previous complaints. I still think the timing of the contract is off as I still think they could've signed him to this mid season or later and protected themselves a little more but this structure leaves plenty of cap room on the table the next few years which is the main concern.

Unless he's an All Pro by 2019 though the thought of him counting 14 million against is concerning though without a restructure

Well if hes making all pro teams those later years of his deal it will mean hes been healthy and playing well so they might be real pleased with his contract.

But the biggest unknown by 2019 is where the overall cap will be. The players might dig in and get a higher percentage of earnings in the next CBA. As were seeing in the nba if there was a drastic increase then 14 could become the equivalent of 9 in todays money.

Return to Green Bay Packers