Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years 

Post#121 » by RRyder823 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:13 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:I'll retract my previous complaints. I still think the timing of the contract is off as I still think they could've signed him to this mid season or later and protected themselves a little more but this structure leaves plenty of cap room on the table the next few years which is the main concern.

Unless he's an All Pro by 2019 though the thought of him counting 14 million against is concerning though without a restructure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

Well if hes making all pro teams those later years of his deal it will mean hes been healthy and playing well so they might be real pleased with his contract.

But the biggest unknown by 2019 is where the overall cap will be. The players might dig in and get a higher percentage of earnings in the next CBA. As were seeing in the nba if there was a drastic increase then 14 could become the equivalent of 9 in todays money.

The players aren't going to get that kind of increase from the CBA. Their main point will be limiting Goodell and his power which in turn will give the owners a leg up on profit sharing. That said I have no idea when their TV deal runs out but whenever it does that'll dwarf the TV deal that the NBA just signed but it most likely won't kick in untill after this contract runs it's course.

In any case the comparison is off because mediocre players get payed exorbitantly more due to their production all the time in the NBA due to the smaller roster size and soft cap all the time. I get what you're saying just the analogy doesn't quite fit due to the drastic increase for NBA players being due to a new TV deal and simple differences between the leagues.

But yes if he's an All Pro by 2019 they'll be thrilled with this deal. I just would put the odds on that happening as slim and as such feel uneasy about his cap number rising to 14 million after 2 years but these first 2 years are of greater concern right now hense why im now feeling better about the deal.

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Re: Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years 

Post#122 » by rilamann » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:26 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Last guy I would bring back is Lacy. Hates football, eats like a WOW player, doesn't get into shape for a contract year. RB is a clear position they should be looking to upgrade.

I actually like Eddie Lacy a lot,especially when he's in shape,one of my favorite players on the team.That said I would be very nervous about giving him a contract extension.

If there was ever a guy who would have ''fat & happy'' written all over him after signing a big contract it would indeed be Eddie Lacy.

But watch,we'll say that and he will sign with someone else and get himself in great shape and play for a coach who actually knows how to use him properly and end up having a great career.Would be our luck.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#123 » by El Duderino » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:43 am

rilamann wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Last guy I would bring back is Lacy. Hates football, eats like a WOW player, doesn't get into shape for a contract year. RB is a clear position they should be looking to upgrade.

I actually like Eddie Lacy a lot,especially when he's in shape

When has he ever been in tip top shape since the Packers drafted him?

It's been frustrating watching him for so long makes moves to break free, only to get run down to easily because he doesn't care enough to keep himself in better shape like the vast majority of other players do.

No way in hell would i give him any sort of sizable guaranteed money. A major weight risk for a guy with a nothing special career 4.3 ypc average.
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer
And1: 847

Post#124 » by JackSIKMA43 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:12 pm

El Duderino wrote:
rilamann wrote:

I actually like Eddie Lacy a lot,especially when he's in shape

When has he ever been in tip top shape since the Packers drafted him?

It's been frustrating watching him for so long makes moves to break free, only to get run down to easily because he doesn't care enough to keep himself in better shape like the vast majority of other players do.

No way in hell would i give him any sort of sizable guaranteed money. A major weight risk for a guy with a nothing special career 4.3 ypc average.

I really do not understand all of the complaining and griping about Eddie Lacy's weight. When has he ever been "not big" - in 7th grade?
Jerome Bettis had a playing weight of 250 pounds, he's the same height as Lacy, and Lacy is probably NOT 250 right now, probably more in the 235-240 range. Bettis was built how is he built, and made a fine Hall of Fame career for himself. I'm not suggesting that Lacy is on his way to Canton, but the Packers drafted him as a big guy and he's always going to be a big guy.

Personally, I think McCarthy exaggerated this whole thing after last season, a bit. Yeah, Lacy looked gassed at times last year, and he can't afford to get any bigger, but anyone suggesting that we never offer him a max deal unless he gets down to 220 ... eh, I disagree. He's a great power back, moves the chains well, and is a valuable part of making Rodgers' job easier. I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#125 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:44 pm

With lacy my concern giving him a long term deal is more his run style than weight. Those big bruising run to contact guys just dont have a long shelf life and are such a big injury risk.

On a positive lacy note that i dont see brought up much is hes pretty good in the passing game. He can catch it pretty well and is really good at picking up a blitz. It certainly helps hes as big as most lbs.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#126 » by El Duderino » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:45 pm

JackSIKMA43 wrote:
Personally, I think McCarthy exaggerated this whole thing after last season, a bit. Yeah, Lacy looked gassed at times last year, and he can't afford to get any bigger, but anyone suggesting that we never offer him a max deal unless he gets down to 220 ... eh, I disagree. He's a great power back, moves the chains well, and is a valuable part of making Rodgers' job easier. I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat.

It's not just his weight. In today's NFL, i'd never pay any running back a lot of money unless the guy was a special say top 5 back who was both a top notch runner and good in the passing game.

There is a reason why most teams pass on paying the majority of backs a lot of money. They are to easily replaceable. Lacy has a career 4.3 ypc average, there is nothing special about that and you want to give him a sizeable contract, on top of his weight concerns?

With Rodgers at QB, Ted if he scouts right should be able to find a replacement in the draft next year. Our cap space is important, there are better places to spend it than on Lacy.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,951

Post#127 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:56 pm

Next year's RB class is absolutely loaded, too. That said, if the Packers do as well as we hope, Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey and Chubb will all probably be gone. I'd say I want McCaffrey bad, but McCarthy's too stupid to figure out how best to use him.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#128 » by El Duderino » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Next year's RB class is absolutely loaded, too. That said, if the Packers do as well as we hope, Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey and Chubb will all probably be gone. I'd say I want McCaffrey bad, but McCarthy's too stupid to figure out how best to use him.

I disagree on McCaffrey. My issue with McCarthy is he can't seem to develop receiver routes to get them open, but the way he uses Cobb makes me think that he'd figure out a variety of ways to use McCaffrey.

Then again, i have a hard time seeing McCaffrey lasting until we pick in the 20's. I'd assume that there will be multiple teams picking higher who fall in love with his versatility.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#129 » by M-C-G » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:32 pm

I think some of you guys are missing the point on not extending Lacy. It's all the extra curricular stuff that leads him to the weight gain that is the issue. 2 year deal w very little guaranteed money so you don't get hurt by outright cutting him in year 2.

I have had this convo with a few people but if I was a GM I would draft a running back in the second and basically use them up over four or five years and just get another. Other than elite RB I think it is a stupid position to invest a second contract into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years 

Post#130 » by RRyder823 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Next year's RB class is absolutely loaded, too. That said, if the Packers do as well as we hope, Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey and Chubb will all probably be gone. I'd say I want McCaffrey bad, but McCarthy's too stupid to figure out how best to use him.

If you think 4 RBs are going in the 1st round we have very different perspectives on how the position is valued around the league

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,555

Post#131 » by Ron Swanson » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Unless he has an absolute monster year, I can't see Lacy getting very many big offers in free agency. It's a combination of the current value of the RB position, Lacy's bruising style, and the motivation concerns. Which is why I tend to think that the best option would be to re-sign him to a 2-yr front-loaded deal. The key is getting a complimentary "scat-back" type guy in the draft next year.
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: Packers extend Bakhtiari 4 years 

Post#132 » by RRyder823 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Unless he has an absolute monster year, I can't see Lacy getting very many big offers in free agency. It's a combination of the current value of the RB position, Lacy's bruising style, and the motivation concerns. Which is why I tend to think that the best option would be to re-sign him to a 2-yr front-loaded deal. The key is getting a complimentary "scat-back" type guy in the draft next year.

It's actually a shame Franklin got hurt otherwise he looked to be an almost perfect complement to Lacy

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#133 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Theres also the simple aspect of only so much money to go around. They are a passing team with an expensive qb, oline, and pretty expensive wrs to at some point you just cant allocate any more money on offense and rb seems like the obvious choice to go cheap with guys on rookie deals.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#134 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't want a skinny lacy? Is only plus is his size and either plowing up the middle or getting momentum on screens. If he gets any smaller, he can't do that and I would rather just have a different rb at that point.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,867

Post#135 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:12 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't want a skinny lacy? Is only plus is his size and either plowing up the middle or getting momentum on screens. If he gets any smaller, he can't do that and I would rather just have a different rb at that point.

He's never going to be "skinny" but he can most certainly do all the things you want him to do while being in much better shape. Look at pictures of Lacy in college or even his rookie year. He didn't have a visible gut or look like he should be playing TE. I'm looking for that Eddie Lacy. It's frustrating because he could be so much better than he is right now. If this is what he considers to be "in shape" in a contract year no less, I would just thank him for his time in GB and move on after the season. We can do better.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#136 » by zmanishere11 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 pm

The problem with FA in the NFL is you have no idea who's going to get some outrageous offer. Every year there are teams with outrageous money who throw it around. Jax gave Ivory like 7 mil a year and Jackson $15 mil because, essentially, they had to.

That said, there's certain players and certain positions, you just cannot risk getting one of those offers. Young, good, starting LT's are one of those.

Overweight, slow RB's is one you just let play out. I cannot see a scenario we pay Lacy given the number of guys in line to get paid next year. It is totally possible some idiot team hands him 8 mil a year
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,220

Post#137 » by HKPackFan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 am

I don't want to pay lacy if this is how we use him. Let him sit on 4th and 1 on the biggest drive of the game late in the 3rd. I know MM philosophy is to rotate the backs and they theoretically should be interchangeable, but if you don't know reality then I don't know what the hell to say. Your premier back should be on the field plowing thru defenders on a critical 4th and 1. That's one of the few things you should be good at.

Lacy is limited. He bobbled the screen, he's not being used as a checkdown(which I'm not sure why not) he's horrible on a toss play, he's too slow and has zero chance to get to the edge.

Basically he's a between the tackles plodder that will never outrun anyone. He's not going to get any faster.

He's useful and can help set up play action and grind out some yards but he's never going to be a premier dynamic back that u pay big money. And there's a threat he could get paid and eat his way out of the league. "I'm about to go get me some china food!" - Eddie lacy 2013.
#FreeChuckDiesel
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#138 » by emunney » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:23 am

I agree with El Dude. Lacy is not good enough to be a priority. He's in a pretty big pack of serviceable guys.

As far as those 4 guys RS noted going in the 1st round, I don't see that happening, but given we're a playoff team it's not hard to imagine them all being gone by our 2nd pick.

I don't think you use a top 100 pick on a RB unless you think he could be noticeably better than the pack of RBs. I thought Lacy would be. He's not. Just doesn't accelerate well enough.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#139 » by RiotPunch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:46 am

I thought Lacy had some really nice moments tonight. You get him going downhill quick and let him play off of first contact. He's slithery between the tackles and can turn a -1 into a +6 in a flash. For every one of those good calls for him, there were 2 more that didn't suit him. He's not a runner that will ever capture the edge and he's not a guy that will do much with a quick-hitter screen. It's a matter of knowing your personnel.

All of that said, I agree with most that he is not a guy that I would extend.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,998

Post#140 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:12 pm

I would rather have prime Edgar Bennett or Levens than prime Eddie Lacey. I think the guy is just too limited in his skill set.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Green Bay Packers