RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Trade Cutler? 

Post#21 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:55 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
RedBulls83 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:If we start 2-5 and a team is willing to give us at least what the Eagles got for Bradford you don't trade him?

No team is going to make a trade like that half way into the season.

Why not. Clearly they'd have to be a playoff team who just lost their QB. If the Vikings can get that desperate for Bradford I can easily see someone doing that for Cutler especially in a panic move

Because it's not easy to learn a new offense during training camp let alone in the middle of the season. Or implementing a key player like a QB into the offense in the middle of the season.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#22 » by City of Trees » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:08 pm

Also Cutler isn't in high demand. If a team was looking for a QB mid season you look for low risk high reward, like a developing back up with starter potential or a vet back up who can manage the game.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,333

Post#23 » by fleet » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:47 pm

I just read only 48 QBs in history have been sacked more than Cutler. And how,many passes does he throw clean? He can shoulder a little blame for that, but this franchise never gave him a pocket to work with his whole career. Hard to commit to his throws I'll bet, knowing the price.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/9/15/12914086/philadelphia-eagles-chicago-bears-offensive-line-monday-night-football
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#24 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:19 am

fleet wrote:I just read only 48 QBs in history have been sacked more than Cutler. And how,many passes does he throw clean? He can shoulder a little blame for that, but this franchise never gave him a pocket to work with his whole career. Hard to commit to his throws I'll bet, knowing the price.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/9/15/12914086/philadelphia-eagles-chicago-bears-offensive-line-monday-night-football

I dont know about that Fleet you are gonna get hit and sacked when the only thing you know how to do is throw jump balls 20-30 yards down the field .

Hes never been able to adjust and as a qb if your line is struggling you have to adapt and compensate . The ball has to be out within 3-4 seconds but he is still holding that ball against a top pass rush like the Texans . I was more surprised that he didnt run more and at least try and get 3-4 yards simply because when you are working with a young offense you simply want to have as many positive plays as you can .

This is why I wanted someone different under center its because this teams needs someone to rally around offensively but Jay just has never been that type of guy.You need someone that doesnt let a mistake or two stop the show .

We have not really played well at home the last couple of years so it will be interesting to see how the offense and Jay responds on Sunday .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#25 » by CBS7 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:58 pm

Trade? Nah. Assuming we'd only get peanuts in return. If we'd get a 1st or even a high second, sure, but that isn't going to happen.

But I've wanted to draft someone for a while now. So we actually have someone to push Cutler. Someone who is a legit threat to take his spot for good if Cutler struggles, and someone with whom we could look to the future. Cutler is already on the older side.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#26 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:21 am

CBS7 wrote:Trade? Nah. Assuming we'd only get peanuts in return. If we'd get a 1st or even a high second, sure, but that isn't going to happen.

But I've wanted to draft someone for a while now. So we actually have someone to push Cutler. Someone who is a legit threat to take his spot for good if Cutler struggles, and someone with whom we could look to the future. Cutler is already on the older side.

I don't think we need to draft someone to push Cutler. I think we need to draft someone that can be a long term solution, because Cutler at 33 isn't that.

I certainly think Cutler can be a starting QB for a contending team, but the Bears are too far away with construct of the rest of the team to get to that level. That is why Bears need to find a young QB to groom that can take over in the next 2 years as we get more talent.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#27 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:10 pm

I'd just like to mention that I said we should trade for Garoppolo in the preseason and I don't care how unrealistic that would be
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#28 » by City of Trees » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Garoppolo is out with a shoulder injury

patryk7754
General Manager

Post#29 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:41 pm

If you guys think I've been unrealistic to this point listen to this. Hoyer went 11-5 with the Pats when Brady tore his ACL. Couple of 1st and Hoyer for Jimmy
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Trade Cutler? 

Post#30 » by City of Trees » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:44 pm

patryk7754 wrote:If you guys think I've been unrealistic to this point listen to this. Hoyer went 11-5 with the Pats when Brady tore his ACL. Couple of 1st and Hoyer for Jimmy

"Couple of 1st" count me out.

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#31 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:29 am

patryk7754 wrote:If you guys think I've been unrealistic to this point listen to this. Hoyer went 11-5 with the Pats when Brady tore his ACL. Couple of 1st and Hoyer for Jimmy

No, no he didn't.

And no way in hell I'm trading 2 first round picks for a backup QB that played in Patriots system. We saw what happened with Matt Cassel (maybe that's who you're thinking of). Everyone hyped him up and then he didn't do **** after leaving New England.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#32 » by patryk7754 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:12 pm

RedBulls83 wrote:

No, no he didn't.

And no way in hell I'm trading 2 first round picks for a backup QB that played in Patriots system. We saw what happened with Matt Cassel (maybe that's who you're thinking of). Everyone hyped him up and then he didn't do **** after leaving New England.

Oh yeah. It's hard to tell the difference between the two since they both suck
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#33 » by Axxo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:48 pm

I think draft a QB now, let him to learn under the system a bit. Let Cutler burn up more of his contract til then. No use dumping him if you arent bringing anyone much better in. That said, I think the Loggains experiment is a failure too. We miss Gase.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#34 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:00 pm

I think we should draft a quarterback too. My ranking of this draft for QBs was Wentz, Lynch, Goff, Brissett, Kessler, Prescott (with Goff having the lowest ceiling but currently being the most ready. Apparently he's not the most ready lol what a joke).

I think you draft a guy you like, let him develop. Use him as your primary backup while Cutler is injured. Give the spot back to Cutler when he's healthy again unless the young guy proves he's better while he plays. Let him truly develop while you build the roster. Then move on from Cutler when his contract ends. If the new kid steps in at some point and shows you should move Cutler, then you trade Cutler for picks and sign a journeyman backup like Hoyer to be your vet leader in the meeting rooms

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Re: RE: Re: Trade Cutler? 

Post#35 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Axxo wrote:I think draft a QB now, let him to learn under the system a bit. Let Cutler burn up more of his contract til then. No use dumping him if you arent bringing anyone much better in. That said, I think the Loggains experiment is a failure too. We miss Gase.

Can't have Gase back. And Loggains isn't an experiment, he's a work in progress. Better to develop your coach will your roster is sub part then to hire another guy that will get a HC job in a season or two. That way once Loggains is good, he'll be more loyal to the team and be less likely to leave the first time he's offered a promotion. He'll also be less likely to be offered a promotion because he's here for longer. The NFL is a league of momentum. Vic Fangio has been a top 5 DC coordinator his whole career and never offered a HC job because he was in one place for so long, no one bothered offering him a promotion

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#36 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:20 am

I was surprised that Pace didn't draft a QB in the 4th seeing as he had 3 draft picks.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by heir_jordan22 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:10 pm

I think everybody he wanted was gone. Prescott, Kessler and Brissett were gone from what I recall. And I can't think of any other quarterbacks that I like that weren't drafted in the first other than these three

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#38 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:23 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:I think everybody he wanted was gone. Prescott, Kessler and Brissett were gone from what I recall. And I can't think of any other quarterbacks that I like that weren't drafted in the first other than these three

Prescott was still available.

Pace took Nick Kwiatkoski, Deon Bush, and Dieondre Hall instead.

I get going with Bush and Hall, but probably should have went with Prescott instead of Kwiatoski.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:30 pm

Ok yea that doesn't make much sense to me. My thought was if any of those guys are available in round 4 then you pull the trigger unless someone really good who would possibly start this season was available

CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#40 » by CjayC » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:35 am

Freeman is 30 years old and Trevathan has somewhat of a history of nagging injuries. Pace probably wanted some depth in Kwiatkowski(Especially considering he cut McLellin loose). Not hard to imagine he valued the extra contributor versus a rookie clipboard holder.

IMO Pace probably didn't rate the QB's in this draft that high, or else he wouldn't have wanted to pay the price that he was willing in order to trade up for Marcus Mariota last year before getting rebuffed by the Titans. As for Prescott specifically don't forget that he had a DUI right after the combine(Which he was cleared of wrongdoing post draft) so some teams undoubtedly moved him back on their boards or completely off.

Return to Chicago Bears