ImageImageImageImageImage

Expectations for Kevon Looney?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Re: Expectations for Kevon Looney? 

Post#41 » by likashing » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:56 am

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/26/warriors-kevon-looney-says-hips-feel-great/

Before, playing basketball was painful. I didn’t feel comfortable doing certain moves.

Before the draft, I remember reading that he was ok, no surgery needed, he was playing fine in UCLA, he didn't play like injured/in pain etc etc...

The "minor" injuries' for rookies are always much more serious than what they let on. I don't blame them. I would have lied and hid facts if a NBA contract with millions guaranteed is on the line.

But... don't believe the "minor" injury tales... let's see how Damian Jones goes...

Hopefully Looney is healthy moving forward!
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#42 » by Mylie10 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 am

I'm really intrigued by several guys this camp. Beyond the euphoria with Durant, I find myself really interested in young guys and McGee.

I'm really hoping Looney is able to show a skilled game, but a strong ability to rebound.

I want to see if McCaw can guard point guards, to see if he could play with Livingston and Iguodala, and allow them to guard bigger wing players. Also want to see if he can maintain a decent three point shot with those bench units.

I want to see Jones run. He hasn't been able to lift forever, so he's not gonna do any upper body for some time.

Also want to see if one of the other guys make an impression. Elliott Williams as a scorer, but can he defend well enough. Cook...he was special in the tourney, and made huge shots for the Ducks. He's a pretty solid all around player. This kid Wood is a helluva three point shooter in college. So let's see if he can do other things as well.

Hope there's footage of practices, but I doubt it.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
likashing
Head Coach

Post#43 » by likashing » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:56 am

Yes, so far from the limited minutes/summer league/highlights I have seen, it looks like Looney's rebounding is the most translatable skill from college. I see him replacing McAdoo as the front court project, but at least Looney will rebound consistently.

McCaw has great potential. I like how he played in the summer league, but we have plenty of guards and wings. To earn minutes at those spots, he needs to be able to space the floor by shooting well, or being able to put points on the score board. While McCaw has a lot of great attributes, but looks like Ian Clark is better at taking the Barbosa role as bench scorer - if you can't defend, at least even it out by scoring some points.

Jones - I am optimistic but I am not that high on him, but he will surely get every opportunity simply because of his position - he is the only center under contract. While this season's championship is the most important, realistically, we should look at it as a ~4-5 year window of winning as many rings as possible. For this goal, we need a serviceable center and Kerr will give Jones some minutes to develop into that role.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#44 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:21 pm

likashing wrote:Yes, so far from the limited minutes/summer league/highlights I have seen, it looks like Looney's rebounding is the most translatable skill from college. I see him replacing McAdoo as the front court project, but at least Looney will rebound consistently.

McCaw has great potential. I like how he played in the summer league, but we have plenty of guards and wings. To earn minutes at those spots, he needs to be able to space the floor by shooting well, or being able to put points on the score board. While McCaw has a lot of great attributes, but looks like Ian Clark is better at taking the Barbosa role as bench scorer - if you can't defend, at least even it out by scoring some points.

Jones - I am optimistic but I am not that high on him, but he will surely get every opportunity simply because of his position - he is the only center under contract. While this season's championship is the most important, realistically, we should look at it as a ~4-5 year window of winning as many rings as possible. For this goal, we need a serviceable center and Kerr will give Jones some minutes to develop into that role.

I see Looney being more than just a McAdoo project replacement. There wasn't anything that stood out from McAdoo's college career that made me think he was an NBA level player. Looney like you point out is a rebounder and a good one, so that should translate to the NBA.

McCaw can play defense and that keeps a lot of guys from making it to the next level. If he can develop a consistent outside shot, I think they have found Iguodala light.

We have three centers under contract for this season, with Zaza, Andy and Jones. I think McGee makes the team, making it 4. You might be referring to next season, where we will need vet minimum guys to fill the loss of Zaza and Andy . I'm very high on Jones and maybe overly so. He is the only guy on the team that has the upside to stay with Jordan. I actually see him as being more polished than Jordan coming into the league and has the lateral quickness to guard smaller players on the perimeter. He has a bigger learning curve than Festus coming into the league, but he has a much higher ceiling than Festus. I can see him in a Jordan type role in the future, with his soft hands and jumping ability. I can see him playing some minutes in the rotation because of need, but also a way for him to learn. Green will pay huge dividends keeping this kid in position and Adams will as well. I wasn't really excited about the pick until others told me to take a closer look and I have come away with the idea that the front office might have pulled off one of their better drafts with Jones and McCaw.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 373

Post#45 » by cladden » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:34 pm

floppymoose wrote:Looney is a homeless man's Jamal Mashburn

Wasn't Mashburn more of a scorer? A guy with the ball in his hands that could go one on one?

I was pretty young with limited access to games back then but that's how I remember him.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#46 » by northoakland510 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I'm really intrigued by several guys this camp. Beyond the euphoria with Durant, I find myself really interested in young guys and McGee.

I'm really hoping Looney is able to show a skilled game, but a strong ability to rebound.

I want to see if McCaw can guard point guards, to see if he could play with Livingston and Iguodala, and allow them to guard bigger wing players. Also want to see if he can maintain a decent three point shot with those bench units.

I want to see Jones run. He hasn't been able to lift forever, so he's not gonna do any upper body for some time.

Also want to see if one of the other guys make an impression. Elliott Williams as a scorer, but can he defend well enough. Cook...he was special in the tourney, and made huge shots for the Ducks. He's a pretty solid all around player. This kid Wood is a helluva three point shooter in college. So let's see if he can do other things as well.

Hope there's footage of practices, but I doubt it.

I have wanted to see Mcgee in the Warriors system since 2012. I just think if the team can get him focused he can really play some good ball. Looney has skill and the added weight should allow him to move people and stand up to the low post banging. McCaw is confident in his game and should push Clark for playing time.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#47 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Am really hoping jones and looney could be our main center rotation by next season with looney being able to play PF as well. :pray: :pray: :pray:
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#48 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:09 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:Am really hoping jones and looney could be our main center rotation by next season with looney being able to play PF as well. :pray: :pray: :pray:

What a dream scenario for the front office. A lot hinges on one of these guys making it and I think both have the ability to be contributors this season if they are healthy. With the salary cap and having to re-sign Curry and KD this off season, having rookies filling positions of need is critical. I throw McCaw in that mix as well.

I feel I'm in the minority here on how I rate these three players upside wise, but two of them, Looney and McCaw have skills they had in college that translate to the NBA. Looney is a rebounder and has that lunch box mentality. McCaw is a good defender and that definitely translates to the NBA. Jones is an athletic freak at 7', but didn't consistently do anything great, but just his size and athleticism makes him a worthy project. I think with proper coaching we will quickly forget Festus.

The luxury these guys have is coming in with very little pressure to perform to expectations. There are solid vets in their positions that will work with them on their game. I have heard nothing but good things about the three players and they all appear to be hard workers. Because there are so many hard workers on the team, that rubs off on the young guys. Kerr has the flexibility to put these players into situations where they are more likely to succeed. Yes, they will need to be productive when they get playing time, to earn more playing time.

All three players will benefit playing with 5 of the better players in the league and Livingston, West and even Zaza are very skilled as well. They are in a perfect situation to succeed.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#49 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:Am really hoping jones and looney could be our main center rotation by next season with looney being able to play PF as well. :pray: :pray: :pray:

What a dream scenario for the front office. A lot hinges on one of these guys making it and I think both have the ability to be contributors this season if they are healthy. With the salary cap and having to re-sign Curry and KD this off season, having rookies filling positions of need is critical. I throw McCaw in that mix as well.

I feel I'm in the minority here on how I rate these three players upside wise, but two of them, Looney and McCaw have skills they had in college that translate to the NBA. Looney is a rebounder and has that lunch box mentality. McCaw is a good defender and that definitely translates to the NBA. Jones is an athletic freak at 7', but didn't consistently do anything great, but just his size and athleticism makes him a worthy project. I think with proper coaching we will quickly forget Festus.

The luxury these guys have is coming in with very little pressure to perform to expectations. There are solid vets in their positions that will work with them on their game. I have heard nothing but good things about the three players and they all appear to be hard workers. Because there are so many hard workers on the team, that rubs off on the young guys. Kerr has the flexibility to put these players into situations where they are more likely to succeed. Yes, they will need to be productive when they get playing time, to earn more playing time.

All three players will benefit playing with 5 of the better players in the league and Livingston, West and even Zaza are very skilled as well. They are in a perfect situation to succeed.

Yea, I never dreamed we would have such a healthy organization from top to bottom, where high character rookies can learn from high character vets that have seen success at a high level. All three of your young guys seem to have skillsets that not only we need as a team, but also will translate well at the nba level, especially looney (Rebounding, outside shooting, great length, soft touch inside)
Mccaw I think will be able to fill in admirably for barbosa and will be in the rotation from game 1.

I have never been this excited to start a season in my almost 20 years of following the warriors. Definitely a great time to be a warriors fan
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,859

Post#50 » by 510TWSS » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 am

I think it's a myth that looney plays any kind of extended minutes at center for us. We have other options.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mylie10 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:21 am

Iguodala displayed with Looney over the summer and that he's going to be better than a lot of people think. He said he's a bit slow to get it right now, but that it's because he missed so much time, and training camp last year.

Ill take an Iguodala endorsment for sure.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
jaywalkszzz
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#52 » by jaywalkszzz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Iguodala displayed with Looney over the summer and that he's going to be better than a lot of people think. He said he's a bit slow to get it right now, but that it's because he missed so much time, and training camp last year.

If you fast forward to the 5:59 mark, it kind of sounds like Iguodala threw Looney under the bus. hah. I'm sure he didn't, but subliminally he may want the Warriors to not pick up Looney's Team Option. If KD doesn't sign via Non-Bird rights, & Golden State doesn't pick up Looney's Team Option, that would leave more cap space & thus more potential money offered for Iguodala. Should be interesting to see what Bob Myers decides on Oct. 31 in regards to the Team Option for Looney.

Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#53 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:19 pm

jaywalkszzz wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Iguodala displayed with Looney over the summer and that he's going to be better than a lot of people think. He said he's a bit slow to get it right now, but that it's because he missed so much time, and training camp last year.

If you fast forward to the 5:59 mark, it kind of sounds like Iguodala threw Looney under the bus. hah. I'm sure he didn't, but subliminally he may want the Warriors to not pick up Looney's Team Option. If KD doesn't sign via Non-Bird rights, & Golden State doesn't pick up Looney's Team Option, that would leave more cap space & thus more potential money offered for Iguodala. Should be interesting to see what Bob Myers decides on Oct. 31 in regards to the Team Option for Looney.

Iguodala says Looney is better than what a lot of people think as well. I think it would be a fair thing to say that he is a bit slow to get it right now. Don't think that is too much of a negative for a guy who hasn't played a lot of basketball over the course of a season. That is why I'm really glad he is healthy for training camp and I hope there aren't any set backs.

As far as Iguodala wanting more money by not picking up the option for Looney, doesn't sound like Iguodala at all. I expect Iguodala to re-sign at a fairly steep discount or at least a short term deal. Not picking up Looney's option does very little for the cap anyway and in my opinion having him contribute this season really helps the team going forward regarding the Cap. You need guys on their rookie contracts and also add youth to the team.

Unless he has long term health issues, I see the team picking up his option.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mylie10 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Really nice take Heart. Agree whole heartedly on all accounts.
Khoee wrote “
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#55 » by shazam_guy » Wed Oct 5, 2016 6:16 am

Looney's worth the gamble. As for Iguodala, he's always been pretty team-oriented, as well as a class guy. I'll take him at his word.
prech
Junior
And1: 65

Post#56 » by prech » Wed Oct 5, 2016 6:44 am

Read on Twitter

Would stink if Looney's hip is still not ready :( Labral/hip issues commonly exhibit symptoms at the groin, so hopefully it truly is an adductor/muscle issue
prech
Junior
And1: 65

Post#57 » by prech » Fri Oct 7, 2016 9:02 am

Well this is awful, as suspected, the "groin" pain is still the hip acting up :(

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#58 » by The-Power » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:49 pm

That sucks. It doesn't change much for this team this season as we couldn't rely on him anyways but it's still bad for him, his development and his future with the team as well as for the team which likes his potential. Hopefully he can fully recover so that it won't become a chronic issue. Do whatever is best for his long-term development and I'm certain that's what the approach will remain this season.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#59 » by azwfan » Fri Oct 7, 2016 3:48 pm

Listening to his responses, it has a different tone than the excerpts in the Tweet. At any rate, save your money young fella.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#60 » by likashing » Fri Oct 7, 2016 4:33 pm

Good gamble but I am not optimistic about him.

He was just toughing it out in UCLA in order to score the NBA guaranteed money jackpot.

If you are 20 years old and your injury is still not fixed over 2 years, your professional sports career is probably over.

I wish us and Looney some good luck.

Return to Golden State Warriors