ImageImageImageImageImage

Official New York Rangers Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#1 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 6, 2016 2:50 am

Alright, MLB is over. Time for NHL threads to be raised to the rafters of this forum. I'm talking about the OTHER MSG that actually has a winning tradition and made the playoffs regularly for several seasons, never mind made it to the Finals a few years ago. What makes this NY Rangers season different from the previous? Well, I'll tell you. They've made some subtle moves and have become younger, faster, bigger, stronger...

Through 12 games...As a team, the 2016 NY Rangers are averaging 4+ goals for and 2.25 against. #1 Offense, #6 defense, 13th Power Play, and they may be 20th in penalty killing but that's misleading as the team does not take stupid penalties. Credit goes to the emergence of the 3rd line, full of youngsters...

Team leaders:

JT Miller (no relation to JT Miller) age 23 yrs: 12 pts +11

Kevin Hayes age 24: 11 pts +11

Michael Grabner age 29 yrs: 10 pts +11 :FAST and one of the best penalty killers.

Jimmy Vesey Age 23 yrs: 10 pts +5

Notice, none of those guys were around when the Rangers made the Stanley Cup Finals or the Conference Finals against the Lightning. They're bigger, faster, and younger...and they're really wearing down the defense so the top 2 lines can start to do damage.

Here's another bunch of kids making a difference:

Mika Zibanejad C age 23 yrs: 9 pts -1 but making a huge difference in face offs. Rangers are actually winning the Face off draws.

Brady Skjei D age 22 yrs : 7 pts +3 making a huge difference working both ends of the ice. 6'3" skates fast and knows how to assert himself on the power play. Smart player who knows the importance of a second and third pass in a play.

Jesper Fast RW age 24 yrs: 5 pts +5 knows how to be a pest offensively and defensively. That's the guy who wasn't afraid to check Chara in the boards tonight.

Unsung hero:

Antii Raanta with a deceptive 3-0 GGA 2.33

Opponents: San Jose, Tampa Bay, Boston...

Not exactly cream puffs. The team really plays well in front of him. Lundqvst NEEDS that quality starter that he had when Cam Talbot was a rock behind King Henrik.

Support your Rangers! Tickets are hundred dollars cheaper than Knicks who um, finding themselves.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#2 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Nov 6, 2016 8:46 am

How Buchnevich looked so far?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 6, 2016 10:20 am

He scored his first NHL goal last night in Boston. It was a beauty. That's a BIG kid from the KHL. Watching his size move around on the ice, he's a monster. He's very aggressive and grasped/understood Vigneault's system quickly.

Again, the Rangers have these kids in their early 20s...and they're GOOD.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#4 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Nov 6, 2016 4:42 pm

Rangers are scary good. They have four lines that can score. I don't remember them having a team like this in quite some time. In the 1991-92 season they had the franchise record for most goals for (321). They already have 50 goals in 12 games this season.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#5 » by magnumt » Sun Nov 6, 2016 4:49 pm

They're definitely younger AND deeper this year (what really hurt them during their Finals run a couple of years ago). Buuuuuuuuuuut, the Rangers always do this: start off hot, or have a great regular season run, then choke like hell in the playoffs.

I just want another deep run again. :(

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#6 » by BKAY » Sun Nov 6, 2016 4:55 pm

love the game they are playing this year. The speed is killer. Moving away from the chip and chase system from previous years, which is working great and so much more enjoyable to watch. Playing a very similar game to the Pens of last year. Should be a good year. I have a feeling they will be insanely streaky as the year goes on but hey were streaking right now lets hope they can keep it going. Most teams are probably very intimidated by the Rangers speed this year.

fingers crossed this doesn't get moved. Every rangers thread ive ever made here has gotten moved to the graveyard rangers forum
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 6, 2016 6:11 pm

The year, the NY Rangers made it to the Stanley Cup Finals; didn't have a very good regular season due to injuries. The following year, they had the President's Cup and ran out of gas. Last season, they just looked tired.

I think the difference I see, this season...the 3rd line is clicking. Notice the big guns on the Rangers have been subtle, not completely non-existent. Absolutely I expect the kids to hit the wall but then the vets will be warmed up in games 25-50 before the kids kick back in.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Nov 7, 2016 6:06 am

Rangers unloaded another 5 goals, defeating the Winnipeg Jets and winning BACK to BACK games. Rangers are streaking at 5 and counting.

Four players with +11...

Maybe it's just NBA players who have a hard time being motivated to play on the weekends. ;)
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#9 » by poeman » Mon Nov 7, 2016 6:22 am

Rangers looking explosive...first time in a years do they have this much chemistry on offense
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#10 » by Apples » Mon Nov 7, 2016 12:57 pm

Need another quality defenseman. Goals will dry up the playoffs. And I don't trust the D currently.

I'd trade Zuccarello and 1st for Trouba.
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#11 » by Apples » Mon Nov 7, 2016 1:04 pm

magnumt wrote:They're definitely younger AND deeper this year (what really hurt them during their Finals run a couple of years ago). Buuuuuuuuuuut, the Rangers always do this: start off hot, or have a great regular season run, then choke like hell in the playoffs.

I just want another deep run again. :(

--Mags

How they choke in the playoffs? They've made deep runs, including a Finals appearance, the last few seasons. That's not choking. Their problem is, they have no elite forward talent like the Hawks, Kings during their runs, Lightning, Penguins. Someone with a terrific shot that can beat a top goalie in the playoffs. Because it's hard to score on playoff goalies.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Nov 7, 2016 1:29 pm

Apples wrote:Need another quality defenseman. Goals will dry up the playoffs. And I don't trust the D currently.

I'd trade Zuccarello and 1st for Trouba.

Not yet.

Right now, the Rangers have MORE depth than they've ever had before. They have 3 legit scoring lines. As I previously mentioned, the kids are the ones carrying the team and the vets will be there. Previous years, the Rangers top 2 lines HAD to carry the team, then they were spent by the time they got to the deeper rounds of the playoffs.

On defense, Staal and Girardi need time off and their minutes monitored. Their contracts are ridiculous. However 22-year old Brady Skjei is REALLY good.

13 games into the season, the Rangers 10-3
SH0KASE
Junior
And1: 434

Post#13 » by SH0KASE » Mon Nov 7, 2016 1:43 pm

Not the biggest hockey fan but always check the score to see how rangers did. Atleast 1 msg team knows what they are doing.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#14 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Nov 7, 2016 3:43 pm

I gotta admit...when the Rangers released the rights to Keith Yandle (Florida) and traded Derek Brassard, I was VERY nervous but so far the moves have paid dividends.

By letting go of Yandle, they strengthened the checking line and improved the penalty killing.

By trading Brassard, they improved their ability to win face offs considerably. I know, there's this believe, stats say winning face offs do not equate to winning games. Maybe. What I know is, whoever wins the face off, controls the puck, whoever controls the puck can get off a shot...and that ALWAYS leads to good things. Last 3-4 seasons, Rangers would lose more than 65% of their face offs and SQUEAK out a 2-1 win. Now they win 45-55% of their face offs...and notice, their offense has exploded because they don't grind away....NOW, the Rangers don't waste time, they win the face off and HIT the streaking player heading for the goal post.

Again, faster and more decisive.
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#15 » by The_Special_One » Mon Nov 7, 2016 5:20 pm

Rangers are faster, younger and deeper this year. I do believe we have a real shot this season.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 8, 2016 3:04 am

I'm a big believer, every win a team achieves is one less they need to achieve late in the season. The NYR next two opponents, Vancouver and Calgary have losing records. They have an excellent chance to post a very strong 1/4th of the season.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#17 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 8, 2016 4:47 pm

Rangers going for their 6th straight against Vancouver at the mecca.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#18 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Nov 9, 2016 5:57 am

Rangers win streak snapped. Apparently Vancouver found the weakness to the Rangers' game, running over the starting goaltender and giving him a concussion. 5-3 Canucks.

I'm comfortable with Raanta in goal as Lundqvst recovers. In fact, I'd like to see Henrik have fewer starts in those tight stretches of games. Keep him fresh for the second half of the season.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#19 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:42 pm

While a lot of RealGM posters are draining their tears like a Drake song after another Knicks loss, the WINNINGEST team at MSG, NY Rangers rebounded from a loss to Vancouver with a resounding 4-1 win over the Calgary Flames.

While the Knicks' FA acquisitions have struggled to develop chemistry, the Rangers youth and key acquisitions are producing at a ridiculous rate...

Michael Grabner (age 29) 8th goal of the season...

Jimmy Vesey (age 22) 7th goal of the season...

Pavel Buchnevich (age 21) 4th goal the season...

Mika Zibanejad (age 23) 8th assist of the season...

Of course, Stephan...Kreider...McDonough chipped in some help as well. What this shows, BALANCE...

After 15 games, the Rangers are 11-4. Not a bad start to the regular season. I'll be taking another barometer reading after 20 games or 1/4th of the season is in the books. But if the Rangers are a top 1-3 teams in the Wales Conference after 25 games, I really like their chances to go deep in the playoffs.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#20 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:08 pm

So much for Vesey needed a long time to adjust to physicality and speed of the league.

Return to New York Knicks