ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1761 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

CJackson wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
CJackson wrote:
Even if it doesn't pan out in space, anything close to a perpetual motion machine could literally save the planet from environmental devastation. That would be its greatest value unless the narrative is the only way the human race survives is to leave.

That's actually what Stephen Hawking believes. He says the way we're going, mankind has between 1K - 10K years left unless we leave the planet.

He's as concerned about AI as the environment, right?

The thing about guys like him or Musk worried about AI eating us for lunch is you need AI to seed the stars so it seems like a Catch-22 proposition.

and 1-10,000 years is a drop in the bucket of time overall, but several thousand years so far is the sum of recorded human history and if we have even 1,000 years left that is enough time to go elsewhere if that is the case

myself, I don't have a clear vision of whether humans survive or not. The odds are against them both in terms of self-destruction and cosmic probabilities like meteor strikes.

I think the real question is whether or not humans can collectively evolve their levels of mutual tolerance, because the emergence of human-machine hybrids is forthcoming alongside intelligent lab-created bio-organisms. Since humans can barely tolerate the personal freedoms of others, I don't see why they should expect other organisms and hybrids to exhibit a greater level of compassion than we do.

So I'd say the odds are the human race may destroy itself with its own inventions that develop their own agendas and that Musk and Hawkings are probably right. We lack collective wisdom as a species and I think the wave of political populism that denies facts in favor of bonehead fantasies about issues like actual economic realities and global warming shows the masses are still unevolved.

The power elite is not enlightened either so the only hope is spiritual awakening as a species and I would not bet on that happening to the degree necessary for survival.

Our evolutionary trend is to escalate, not harmonize and pandora's box is opening right now with biotech soon doing things we can't control and most organisms are not wired for compassion towards other species or even their own.

To me, that self-destructive nature comes mostly from Europeans, who, while colonizing the planet, have destroyed civilizations, cultures and ways of life that were in harmony with the planet. I don't think it's innate in mankind to destroy his homeworld. But, Western civilization, which dominates, is wasteful, greedy and callous. It's a culture that wins with no honor or sense of community and brotherhood. It may ultimately win out in the long run, but, at the cost of the planet. Which is why they are heavily invested into merging biology & technology. It's why Mars is so heavily pushed now. I truly believe the goal is to record their version of history, into the very DNA of future humans even, achieve immortality, and get the **** off the planet before it cures itself of the disease we're causing. Read up on Ray Kurtzweil. He'll point out where we're going as a species. Many leading futurists like him believe biological evolution moves too slow, and to advance as a species, we have to do it ourselves with tech. At some point, it's going to be cheaper and easier to colonize and terraform a new planet than try to fix the mess we've made here. Hopefully the humans that make it off will be smart enough to leave the greedy, selfish elite behind, or it'll just be a repeat of history, wherever we land.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#1762 » by CJackson » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:23 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
CJackson wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
That's actually what Stephen Hawking believes. He says the way we're going, mankind has between 1K - 10K years left unless we leave the planet.

The thing about guys like him or Musk worried about AI eating us for lunch is you need AI to seed the stars so it seems like a Catch-22 proposition.

and 1-10,000 years is a drop in the bucket of time overall, but several thousand years so far is the sum of recorded human history and if we have even 1,000 years left that is enough time to go elsewhere if that is the case

myself, I don't have a clear vision of whether humans survive or not. The odds are against them both in terms of self-destruction and cosmic probabilities like meteor strikes.

I think the real question is whether or not humans can collectively evolve their levels of mutual tolerance, because the emergence of human-machine hybrids is forthcoming alongside intelligent lab-created bio-organisms. Since humans can barely tolerate the personal freedoms of others, I don't see why they should expect other organisms and hybrids to exhibit a greater level of compassion than we do.

So I'd say the odds are the human race may destroy itself with its own inventions that develop their own agendas and that Musk and Hawkings are probably right. We lack collective wisdom as a species and I think the wave of political populism that denies facts in favor of bonehead fantasies about issues like actual economic realities and global warming shows the masses are still unevolved.

The power elite is not enlightened either so the only hope is spiritual awakening as a species and I would not bet on that happening to the degree necessary for survival.

Our evolutionary trend is to escalate, not harmonize and pandora's box is opening right now with biotech soon doing things we can't control and most organisms are not wired for compassion towards other species or even their own.

To me, that self-destructive nature comes mostly from Europeans, who, while colonizing the planet, have destroyed civilizations, cultures and ways of life that were in harmony with the planet. I don't think it's innate in mankind to destroy his homeworld. But, Western civilization, which dominates, is wasteful, greedy and callous. It's a culture that wins with no honor or sense of community and brotherhood. It may ultimately win out in the long run, but, at the cost of the planet. Which is why they are heavily invested into merging biology & technology. It's why Mars is so heavily pushed now. I truly believe the goal is to record their version of history, into the very DNA of future humans even, achieve immortality, and get the **** off the planet before it cures itself of the disease we're causing. Read up on Ray Kurtzweil. He'll point out where we're going as a species. Many leading futurists like him believe biological evolution moves too slow, and to advance as a species, we have to do it ourselves with tech. At some point, it's going to be cheaper and easier to colonize and terraform a new planet than try to fix the mess we've made here. Hopefully the humans that make it off will be smart enough to leave the greedy, selfish elite behind, or it'll just be a repeat of history, wherever we land.

I don't buy that first statement. There are plenty of theories bouncing around about ancient technologies and there is no strong indication they were used humanely in these non-European societies in the Middle East, South America or early Indus Valley. Human sacrifice was clearly an integral aspect of many social orders preceding the Roman Empire.

Only the Himalayan regions seemed to produce any type of social order that was not co-mingled with overt military activity & where authority was predicated on actual spiritual practice and not religious organizations alone. But even Tibet still had its own hierarchical imbalances in terms of human rights and male dominance, but mostly they had a fairly successful run of multiple centuries where their leadership were bona fide yogis. When the priesthood gets completely separated from those who govern you get religious institutions that lose their juice.

Much of this was possible because of geography and remoteness. Other places where Buddhism spread like China or Japan had the typical separation of state and church with civil servants and monks.

Modernity doesn't allow for a spiritual order to be the engine that governs so America's constitutional separation of church and state was a necessity.

Compassion is not unique to colonized states. Depravity reached great heights in Africa as the colonies were liberated and in many cases tore themselves apart from within. Dehumanization happens in all societies if it is allowed or decreed and not opposed.
Deep Fried
Junior
And1: 220

Post#1763 » by Deep Fried » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19 pm

lol i am currently in the process of reading this thread in its entirety. thank you for giving me some a1 reading material. i am now an expert in astrology and religion.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1764 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:56 pm

CJackson wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
CJackson wrote:

I don't buy that first statement. There are plenty of theories bouncing around about ancient technologies and there is no strong indication they were used humanely in these non-European societies in the Middle East, South America or early Indus Valley. Human sacrifice was clearly an integral aspect of many social orders preceding the Roman Empire.

Only the Himalayan regions seemed to produce any type of social order that was not co-mingled with overt military activity & where authority was predicated on actual spiritual practice and not religious organizations alone. But even Tibet still had its own hierarchical imbalances in terms of human rights and male dominance, but mostly they had a fairly successful run of multiple centuries where their leadership were bona fide yogis. When the priesthood gets completely separated from those who govern you get religious institutions that lose their juice.

Much of this was possible because of geography and remoteness. Other places where Buddhism spread like China or Japan had the typical separation of state and church with civil servants and monks.

Modernity doesn't allow for a spiritual order to be the engine that governs so America's constitutional separation of church and state was a necessity.

Compassion is not unique to colonized states. Depravity reached great heights in Africa as the colonies were liberated and in many cases tore themselves apart from within. Dehumanization happens in all societies if it is allowed or decreed and not opposed.

I agree with some of this, but, I would argue some of those places tore themselves apart after being touched by Western/European rule. In any case, we're in deep **** here. And I'm afraid for people of future generations who are not part of the elite who will have the resources to survive the self-destruction we are bringing on.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1765 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:59 pm

Deep Fried wrote:lol i am currently in the process of reading this thread in its entirety. thank you for giving me some a1 reading material. i am now an expert in astrology and religion.

I think there's always plenty to be gained from discussing things that affect us all with your fellow everyday man. People in this thread have helped me process some very heavy & complex topics and information. This is my favorite thread on this board. I enjoy the different viewpoints, light being shed, and new information. Cheers, folks.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#1766 » by CJackson » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:38 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
CJackson wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

I agree with some of this, but, I would argue some of those places tore themselves apart after being touched by Western/European rule. In any case, we're in deep **** here. And I'm afraid for people of future generations who are not part of the elite who will have the resources to survive the self-destruction we are bringing on.

Well, considering I was talking about before Rome I don't see how civilizations like the Mayans or Egyptians has anything to do with European influence.

Europe is a continent and never has been guided by a single cultural viewpoint though the European union has a lot of wisdom in its historical response to the post-World War II landscape. The Brexit event shows how different the cultures remain. Sweden handles their business differently than the Italians. They are not alike at all and are as different from each other as the U.S. is to Mexico.

Your notions of a superior morality has romanticized the oppressed as being somehow blessed with innate goodness. This is a projection and has no basis in historical reality. Being a victim doesn't automatically make you wiser or more capable of organizing a benevolent society.

Societies with a higher level of education across the board are generally more peaceful, yet it is still not a guarantee of wisdom. But it is the only hope.

And elites are not so much unified together as scared at losing what they've got. So IMO you are correct that the wealthy can hoard for themselves, gate themselves and let everyone else suffer. Most of the very wealthy use charity not out of goodness but because it is part of the drill.

Some of the very wealthy are primarily geared towards self-preservation of wealth and their immediate circle. A few are true benefactors.

There is enormous potential for good tech to solve many social issues, but as long as powerful interests grease the gears of governance, you will have subversion of the public good. And that's the magic of propaganda where just like Orwell predicted that enough people will believe the exact opposite of the truth just because it is the easier short-term emotional coping mechanism rather than dealing with reality.

Mean-spirited and self-dealing idiots braying like donkeys about globalism to get elected are not the working man's friend. They are their subjugators, but people are too lazy to figure that out and think change for changes sake is the answer. Now they will find out what they have done. The political establishment didn't plan this, but they will capitalize on it and make it work for themselves.

The demise of mankind could happen very quickly if enough fascist tools take over formerly democratic countries and then we won't have to worry about AI or environmental collapse. Then we'll just expire from a nuclear holocaust.

In the meantime, everyone should be deeply concerned about Russia nipping at its border countries and tearing at the cohesion of the European Union. This is going to be a bigger issue than jihadis from the middle east. Just at the time when globalization presented a golden opportunity for mankind and countries to find many ways to collaborate on the means necessary to ensure a healthy planet and civilization, nationalism has been aroused and the dark energies it propogates.

The elite is not secure. They can be overthrown, but what replaces them is not necessarily better or wiser so again be careful about what you romanticize because there is no one homogenized elite. It is a federation of wealthy interests often in conflict with one another.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1767 » by PeoplesChamp » Tue Dec 6, 2016 12:20 am

I can't recommend this series enough. Sums up this thread and the ideas considered in it perfectly. This one is the summation of all the videos before it. The man makes a damn good convincing arguement for all 11 dimensions and what they may contain, and does it in a way that just about anyone will understand.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#1768 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:03 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:Check the Joe Rohan podcast with Graham Hancock & Randall Carlson. It'll blow your mind. This planet went through a flood event that evidence shows contained 1000 ft waves of water destroying everything. Maybe from the Ice Age thaw or a comet hitting the Earth. It's incredible stuff.

The books are REALLY intriguing. I'm no where near an expert on this sort of stuff, but the books put together a lot of compelling evidence although I haven't gone searching for refutations to see what claims are challenged.

Also an aside, but Hancock's Rogan appearances have an added bit of intrigue to me because he's on the show so rarely that you can follow some of his personal life shifts and perspective changes along the way if you bump them back to back. His views on smoking change a lot over the years.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#1769 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 9, 2016 3:55 pm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/feathered-dinosaur-tail-amber-theropod-myanmar-burma-cretaceous/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20161208news-feathereddino&utm_campaign=Content&sf45504119=1

The tail of a 99-million-year-old dinosaur, including bones, soft tissue, and even feathers, has been found preserved in amber, according to a report published today in the journal Current Biology.

While individual dinosaur-era feathers have been found in amber, and evidence for feathered dinosaurs is captured in fossil impressions, this is the first time that scientists are able to clearly associate well-preserved feathers with a dinosaur, and in turn gain a better understanding of the evolution and structure of dinosaur feathers.

The majority of Burmese amber is used in jewelry and carvings, and the "Eva" sample had already been subject to shaping by the time it was collected by the researchers.

The modification had a silver lining, however: It offered "a nice cross section" through the tail that enabled the scientists to study the chemistry of the exposed surface, notes McKellar.

That study revealed the presence of ferrous iron, a decomposition product from the blood hemoglobin that was once present in the dinosaur's soft tissue.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,209

Post#1770 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:00 pm

j4remi wrote:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/feathered-dinosaur-tail-amber-theropod-myanmar-burma-cretaceous/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20161208news-feathereddino&utm_campaign=Content&sf45504119=1

The tail of a 99-million-year-old dinosaur, including bones, soft tissue, and even feathers, has been found preserved in amber, according to a report published today in the journal Current Biology.

While individual dinosaur-era feathers have been found in amber, and evidence for feathered dinosaurs is captured in fossil impressions, this is the first time that scientists are able to clearly associate well-preserved feathers with a dinosaur, and in turn gain a better understanding of the evolution and structure of dinosaur feathers.

The majority of Burmese amber is used in jewelry and carvings, and the "Eva" sample had already been subject to shaping by the time it was collected by the researchers.

The modification had a silver lining, however: It offered "a nice cross section" through the tail that enabled the scientists to study the chemistry of the exposed surface, notes McKellar.

That study revealed the presence of ferrous iron, a decomposition product from the blood hemoglobin that was once present in the dinosaur's soft tissue.

That is pretty cool
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1771 » by KnickFan33 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 10:09 pm

CJackson
General Manager

Post#1772 » by CJackson » Fri Dec 9, 2016 10:42 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:http://www.space.com/34960-star-in-a-jar-fusion-reactor-works.html

The possibilities...

That's trippy. Super heated masses floating inside magnets. Damn
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,599

Post#1773 » by El Poochio » Fri Dec 9, 2016 10:54 pm

CJackson wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:http://www.space.com/34960-star-in-a-jar-fusion-reactor-works.html

The possibilities...

They could have just asked Westbrook too

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
CJackson
General Manager

Post#1774 » by CJackson » Fri Dec 9, 2016 10:59 pm

El Poochio wrote:
CJackson wrote:

The possibilities...

I've always said the fate of mankind rests on Russell's broad shoulders, but no one would listen to me
El Poochio

Post#1775 » by El Poochio » Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:28 pm

CJackson wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
CJackson wrote:

I've always said the fate of mankind rests on Russell's broad shoulders, but no one would listen to me

Our universe is the remains of intelligent alien life which controls all aspects of the physical world, from gravity to the speed of light

Perhaps hyper-advanced life isn't just external. Perhaps it’s already all around

It is embedded in what we perceive to be physics itself

We don’t recognize advanced life because it forms an integral and unsuspicious part of what we’ve considered to be the natural world

CJackson
General Manager

Post#1776 » by CJackson » Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:40 pm

El Poochio wrote:
CJackson wrote:
El Poochio wrote:

Our universe is the remains of intelligent alien life which controls all aspects of the physical world, from gravity to the speed of light

Perhaps hyper-advanced life isn't just external. Perhaps it’s already all around

We don’t recognize advanced life because it forms an integral and unsuspicious part of what we’ve considered to be the natural world

That is actually plausible to me. I don't think of it spaceships, but as realities woven into our dimensions. That description jives with Vedic reality which is probably the oldest form of known human knowledge that incorporates those kinds of principles. Absolute consciousness transcends all form yet some humans can use their form to tap into and taste the other dimensions.
El Poochio

Post#1777 » by El Poochio » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

CJackson wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
CJackson wrote:

That is actually plausible to me. I don't think of it spaceships, but as realities woven into our dimensions. That description jives with Vedic reality which is probably the oldest form of known human knowledge that incorporates those kinds of principles. Absolute consciousness transcends all form yet some humans can use their form to tap into and taste the other dimensions.

The Westbrook Theory

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1778 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:18 pm

I don't see the world's Oil concern allowing this solution to be developed.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,268

Post#1779 » by gavran » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:49 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:

What a load of horses*it. Cultures and civilizations clashed and destroyed one another way before the concept of Western Europe/Europeans even existed. They did nothing anyone else didn't do throughout the history.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1780 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:54 am

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/more-fast-radio-bursts-detected-same-location

Repeated, short blasts of radio waves being detected from outside our galaxy, from the same point, over a number of years. What might the implications be?

Return to New York Knicks