No
No votes

Total votes: 3

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

The Chris Sale thread.... 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Well the Braves have checked in on Chris Sale and Mark Bowman thinks they could pull it off if they really wanted him.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/208908418/braves-interested-in-trading-for-chris-sale/

IMO if we are going after a top line starter, I'd prefer Sale to Archer and Gray. At minimum would probably cost 4 top 15 prospects.

Not sure if it would get it done, but the best I would do is Demeritte, Ruiz/M Smith, Blair, Toussaint and Sims for Sale and Jennings.

Sale
Teheran
Colon
Folty
Dickey
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: The Chris Sale thread.... 

Post#2 » by ATL Boy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:02 am

With how thin the pitching market it currently, and how much interest a top of the line lefty like Sale is sure to generate, I doubt that they accept any trade that doesn't involve one of Newcomb, Albies or Allard. Swanson is obviously untouchable and I'm sure Coppy will make that well known (I'm sure Maitan will also be considered untouchable because of his sheer potential).

Now, it all depends on what the asking price truly is. If they ask for one of those players I just mentioned (preferably Newcomb as I'd rather keep Albies and Allard) plus some other prospects (like a Blair, Mallex and let's say Sims) I'd swallow the hit to the farm system and pull the trigger.

If they ask for a combination of Allard/Albies/Newcomb where we have more than one of them going the other, or if they ask for a package of Inciarte plus top prospects that's an absolute no go. Signing Sale would be glamorous and all, but I'd rather stay the path if the price for him involves gutting the top end of our farm system too.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:26 pm

ATL Boy wrote:With how thin the pitching market it currently, and how much interest a top of the line lefty like Sale is sure to generate, I doubt that they accept any trade that doesn't involve one of Newcomb, Albies or Allard. Swanson is obviously untouchable and I'm sure Coppy will make that well known (I'm sure Maitan will also be considered untouchable because of his sheer potential).

Now, it all depends on what the asking price truly is. If they ask for one of those players I just mentioned (preferably Newcomb as I'd rather keep Albies and Allard) plus some other prospects (like a Blair, Mallex and let's say Sims) I'd swallow the hit to the farm system and pull the trigger.

If they ask for a combination of Allard/Albies/Newcomb where we have more than one of them going the other, or if they ask for a package of Inciarte plus top prospects that's an absolute no go. Signing Sale would be glamorous and all, but I'd rather stay the path if the price for him involves gutting the top end of our farm system too.

I don't think it will gut the farm, we have plenty stockpiled. Just curious why would you send Newcomb over Allard? Some scouts compare Newcomb to Lester. Allard is coming off a back injury, did pitch 87 innings this season. Newcomb 140 IP. Allard is 4 yrs younger, but I worry about his back.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:With how thin the pitching market it currently, and how much interest a top of the line lefty like Sale is sure to generate, I doubt that they accept any trade that doesn't involve one of Newcomb, Albies or Allard. Swanson is obviously untouchable and I'm sure Coppy will make that well known (I'm sure Maitan will also be considered untouchable because of his sheer potential).

I don't think it will gut the farm, we have plenty stockpiled. Just curious why would you send Newcomb over Allard?

Newcomb seems a lot more erratic while Allard seems to have completely gotten over the back troubles and back on track.

Both have ace potential but I see Newcomb's floor as a lot lower.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:33 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

I don't think it will gut the farm, we have plenty stockpiled. Just curious why would you send Newcomb over Allard?

Newcomb seems a lot more erratic while Allard seems to have completely gotten over the back troubles and back on track.

Really? I just edited my post. Reading from the notes on their profile on the Braves top 30 prospects list, it says scouts compare Newcomb to Lester and say that Allard hides the ball like Cliff Lee. Hmmm, what about sending Wentz instead?

Blair, Wentz, Sims, Mallex and Demeritte for Sale and Jennings?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ATL Boy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:37 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Really? I just edited my post. Reading from the notes on their profile on the Braves top 30 prospects list, it says scouts compare Newcomb to Lester and say that Allard hides the ball like Cliff Lee. Hmmm, what about sending Wentz instead?

I'd be all for this deal or your first one but I doubt the White Sox pull the trigger unless they get a serious A level top prospect, maybe even 2. I love Wentz but I don't think he's on that level just yet.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:43 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Newcomb seems a lot more erratic while Allard seems to have completely gotten over the back troubles and back on track.

I'd be all for this deal or your first one but I doubt the White Sox pull the trigger unless they get a serious A level top prospect, maybe even 2. I love Wentz but I don't think he's on that level just yet.

Sorry I don't really know much on them, just going by the top 30 list. Wentz is at 8. So if it is Newcomb/Allard, Blair, Sims, Demeritte and Mallex for Sale and a bullpen arm like Jennings, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger. We'd get Sale, plus still have a few arms. Sale will turn 28 before the season starts and still has a very affordable 3 yrs remaining on his contract. At which point he'd be close to 30, and the Braves could choose to re-sign him or trade him. But if we had to trade 2 of Newbcomb, Allard, Wentz, Anderson, I'd say no.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ATL Boy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Sorry I don't really know much on them, just going by the top 30 list. Wentz is at 8. So if it is Newcomb/Allard, Blair, Sims, Demeritte and Mallex for Sale and a bullpen arm like Jennings, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger. We'd get Sale, plus still have a few arms. Sale will turn 28 before the season starts and still has a very affordable 3 yrs remaining on his contract. At which point he'd be close to 30, and the Braves could choose to re-sign him or trade him. But if we had to trade 2 of Newbcomb, Allard, Wentz, Anderson, I'd say no.

I'm in the same boat. I'll give them one of our true prizes but not any more than that.

Tbh Sale's unorthodox pitching motion also somewhat worries me on the injury front. It might just be paranoia from watching Alex Wood (who just got hurt) all those years.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:07 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:I'd be all for this deal or your first one but I doubt the White Sox pull the trigger unless they get a serious A level top prospect, maybe even 2. I love Wentz but I don't think he's on that level just yet.

I'm in the same boat. I'll give them one of our true prizes but not any more than that.

Tbh Sale's unorthodox pitching motion also somewhat worries me on the injury front. It might just be paranoia from watching Alex Wood (who just got hurt) all those years.

Doesn't really worry me, I'd be ecstatic to get him. I'm excited just at the possibility, even if we don't land him. :D
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#10 » by JDR720 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:54 pm

we have the prospects to get him, but im pretty sure albies or swanson would need to be in that package which makes it a no.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:05 pm

JDR720 wrote:we have the prospects to get him, but im pretty sure albies or swanson would need to be in that package which makes it a no.

Not necessarily, they have a pretty good young SS in Tim Anderson. Swanson & Maitian are off limits. If we had to send Albies, we still have Demeritte to pair with Swanson up the middle.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,337

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I get the feeling we might settle for a (slightly) less expensive option like Chris Archer or Sonny Gray.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#13 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Would we definetly have to give up 1 of Newcomb, Allard, Anderson? Couldn't get it done with Wisler and Blair + ?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ATL Boy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:34 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Would we definetly have to give up 1 of Newcomb, Allard, Anderson? Couldn't get it done with Wisler and Blair + ?

White Sox wouldn't ever go for it. I think they'd start off negotiations by asking for Swanson.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#15 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:58 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Would we definetly have to give up 1 of Newcomb, Allard, Anderson? Couldn't get it done with Wisler and Blair + ?

White Sox wouldn't ever go for it. I think they'd start off negotiations by asking for Swanson.

I doubt that, they know he is untouchable. Plus they have Tim Anderson. I would absoulutley go after Sale, I just don't know which of Newcomb/Allard I would send.

Newcomb/Allard, Blair, Lucas Sims, Demeritte and Ruiz for Sale and Jennings.

White sox get 5 of Braves top 16 prospects(without gutting the farm), three really good pitching prospects and two infield prospects close to ready for MLB. They have 1 INF prospect in their top 16, they would add two in this trade. They have two 19 year old INF ranked at 18 and 20. By getting Demeritte and Ruiz, they get two INF prospects a lot closer to MLB ready then the 19 year olds.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 8:03 pm

Sale to the Red Sox, for Macanda, Kopech, Basabe and Diaz. Red Sox came in late and got the job done.

Eh, I really wanted Sale. But glad to still have Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Allard and Anderson.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#17 » by HMFFL » Thu Dec 8, 2016 2:34 am

Sale would have been a nice addition.
Boston made it happen so I wish Sale the best.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#18 » by Nemesis21 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:47 pm

We should have traded for Sale. Garcia is the only one in the rotation with an ERA under 4.00
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#19 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 11:26 am

Nemesis21 wrote:We should have traded for Sale. Garcia is the only one in the rotation with an ERA under 4.00

I back this statement up a month later. Colon has been terrible, Teheran not good, Dickey ok, and Garcia and Folty good for the most part.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,337

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 6, 2017 12:10 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:We should have traded for Sale. Garcia is the only one in the rotation with an ERA under 4.00

I back this statement up a month later. Colon has been terrible, Teheran not good, Dickey ok, and Garcia and Folty good for the most part.

I offer no opnion on the statement above.

I will say--the big league pitching rotation is clearly missing an experienced PC like McDowell to help plot out a gameplan everyday.

For now, we're just waiting on the youth to congeal and make its way to the majors.

Return to Atlanta Braves