Phil Jackson: Carmelo Can Play Jordan, Kobe Role In Triangle If He Doesn't Hog Ball

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Phil Jackson: Carmelo Can Play Jordan, Kobe Role In Triangle If He Doesn't Hog Ball 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:41 pm

Phil Jackson said Carmelo Anthony can play the "role that Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant played" in their teams' triangle offenses, but he believes that Anthony sometimes breaks a team rule by holding on to the ball for too long.

"Carmelo a lot of times wants to hold the ball longer than -- we have a rule: If you hold a pass two seconds, you benefit the defense. So he has a little bit of a tendency to hold it for three, four, five seconds, and then everybody comes to a stop," Jackson said in an interview with CBS Sports Network that aired Tuesday. "That is one of the things we work with. But he's adjusted to [the triangle], he knows what he can do and he's willing to see its success."

Jackson's comments were prompted by a question about whether Anthony can fit in the triangle offense. Jackson made it clear he believes Anthony can.

"He can play that role that Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant played," Jackson said. "It's a perfect spot for him to be in that isolated position on the weak side, because it's an overload offense and there's a weakside man that always has an advantage if the ball is swung."

Via Ian Begley/ESPN

spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Re: Phil Jackson: Carmelo Can Play Jordan, Kobe Role In Triangle If He Doesn't Hog Ball 

Post#2 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:05 pm

He's clearly right, but I doubt it was a smart statement to be made in public.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Re: Phil Jackson: Carmelo Can Play Jordan, Kobe Role In Triangle If He Doesn't Hog Ball 

Post#3 » by MegaK » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:48 pm

basketboule wrote:He's clearly right, but I doubt it was a smart statement to be made in public.

I know right. Sometimes it seems like Phil is trying to sabotage himself and his role with the Knicks.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,776

Post#4 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:59 pm

Good Click bait headline RealGM. Phil doesn't say hog the ball once :clap:
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#5 » by hyberx » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:02 pm

basketboule wrote:He's clearly right, but I doubt it was a smart statement to be made in public.

Phil has done this to every super stars he coached and you know those names. The results differ from your statement clearly. This is not new.
Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#6 » by Sky High » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:05 pm

Well...he's not wrong.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,629

Post#7 » by DE FENSE » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:27 pm

Another bull **** headline from RealGM. Nowhere does Phil Jackson say Melo hogs the ball, only that it benefits the defense if he holds it longer than two seconds. SMDH.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 460

Post#8 » by uraverage » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:34 pm

But the jab steps take time to perform Phil.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:54 pm

Ah yes, hang onto that outdated offense Phil. Never adjust to a changing league, there's clearly no benefit in that.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#10 » by RaptorRed » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:12 pm

Yeah because Kobe never held the ball for longer than 2 seconds...
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#11 » by LastNameEver » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:18 pm

yea ...play your triangle without top 10 players oat

while the other team does PnR and run and gun for 48 minutes...hopefully you dont get blown out too often
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#12 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:35 pm

The_Hater wrote:Ah yes, hang onto that outdated offense Phil. Never adjust to a changing league, there's clearly no benefit in that.

He never really needed to before getting to New York..
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,277

Post#13 » by Black Jack » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:59 pm

Phil has been extra salty this year. Maybe it's time to move back to a cabin in the Montana woods so he doesn't have to deal with real live humans.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:37 pm

~lol~ @ Melo hogs more than Kobe.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#15 » by Sam195 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:33 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:~lol~ @ Melo hogs more than Kobe.

I think Kobe hogs more but than he is a much better leader than Melo ever was. Even if Kobe took over a game he lead by example and the rest of the team would play better D to compensate for his extra offense. Kobe and Jordan were a lot younger and less set in their ways when they first learned the triangle from Phil - and they didn't win titles immediately. Melo is 32 and and should be transitioning more into a supplementary role along other stars similar to what Paul Pierce did when Celtics acquired Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett while making Rondo the starting pg. Knicks are kind of in a similar situation and the team should be lead by Porzingis. Rose and melo seem to think they are a lot better than what they actually are tight now. I have a feeling Phil and his recent comments on various issues both related to his nab team and others is some internal effort by him to get fired so Knicks ownership will still have to pay him the remainder of his fat contract. It was already reported that he has an opt out this summer and I think he is still planning to marry lakers co-owner Jeanie Buss so him moving to LA full time is not going to be in the distant future.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#16 » by Mack11 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:06 am

you know you're a ballhog when in comparison kobe looks like a willing passer
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#17 » by kamaze » Thu Dec 8, 2016 2:36 pm

Noah is washed up Melo is past his prime and they want to bring Rose back too. Phil's gonna walk away from the losing he's used to winning championships.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#18 » by 2011Champs » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:15 pm

Melo is a ball hog

The triangle offense sucks,ditch it

Phil Jackson should retire

Knicks should ditch Rose,Noah and Melo and build team and offense solely around Porzingis and his strengths/
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#19 » by Saciid11 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:31 pm

Phil Jackson ego is getting out of hand ...

Melo should demand a trade as soon as possible ...

Return to Wiretap Discussion