Bob Myers: Andre Iguodala Was Really The GM Of His Sign-And-Trade In 2013

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bob Myers: Andre Iguodala Was Really The GM Of His Sign-And-Trade In 2013 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:51 pm

The Golden State Warriors drafted well between 2009 and 2012 in adding Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes, but Bob Myers' bold sign-and-trade in 2013 for Andre Iguodala began to move the team in their current direction.

Iguodala had spent one season with the Denver Nuggets following his trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

"There were a lot of particulars to that transaction," said Myers. "Like anything, there's a confluence of events. Andre wanting to play for us, that was big. We had just played [Denver] in the playoffs, and it's interesting. He saw something in us maybe that we didn't even see in ourselves. He saw a chance to be a part of something special. He intuitively was willing to wait. He forewent some other opportunities as far as money. But as far as I knew it wasn't going to happen. I knew he was going to sign somewhere, I just didn't think it would be with us. Joe [Lacob] was constantly supportive. Jerry West, as someone who has done a lot of big things, was always encouraging. All of us combined to do our part, but Andre, to be fair, he was the visionary in that area.

"Getting the deal done was extremely difficult. Moving $24 million in that era was even harder than it would be now because the salary cap wasn't what it is now. It represented more than a third of a team's entire salary. I'd only been GM for a year, and it taught me a lot about what can be done, what can be accomplished even if you didn't think it can happen, so it was a lesson. If it hadn't worked, we would've been OK in the fact that we would've given everything we had to get it done, but I kept thinking it wasn't going to work.

"What it showed people outside of our organization was, wow, somebody actually went to the Warriors on their own accord! Andre has a great reputation throughout the league as a player, as a person, so for him to take that step was big for us. It was somewhat transformative.

"He was really the GM of that move more than any of us. I told him, "Go take something else because we can't do it." He said, "Well, give me a little more time." I said, "Don't lose anything."

"If you would have heard the conversations, you would have thought Andre and Rob [Pelinka, Iguodala's agent] were being irrational by waiting. The last thing we wanted to do was mislead them and leave them hanging, so I kept telling them, "We can't do it, we can't do it, take whatever else you have." He kept saying he'll wait a little bit longer, one more day, one more hour."

Via Erik Malinowski/Bleacher Report

DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Re: Bob Myers: Andre Iguodala Was Really The GM Of His Sign-And-Trade In 2013 

Post#2 » by DJ3thenew23 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:33 pm

He KD'd before KD
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#3 » by Cassius » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:20 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:He KD'd before KD

No, had KD forced his way to Portland or Utah, he'd be a visionary like Andre was.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#4 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:09 pm

Cassius wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:He KD'd before KD

No, had KD forced his way to Portland or Utah, he'd be a visionary like Andre was.

Andre wasn't a visionary, he just liked GS more and forced his way there after being beaten by them in the playoffs.

Return to Wiretap Discussion