Demar derozan has been balling

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Demar derozan has been balling 

Post#561 » by Kabookalu » Fri Dec 9, 2016 3:56 pm

Gil wrote:Thread hasn't been bumped in a while. How's Demar been doing these past couple of weeks?

He's been playing great.
Read on Twitter
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#562 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Dec 9, 2016 6:08 pm

Choker wrote:
Gil wrote:Thread hasn't been bumped in a while. How's Demar been doing these past couple of weeks?

He's been playing great.

nowhere to those first 9 games but enough to justify a max
Raptors til death
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,904

Post#563 » by zimpy27 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:47 am

The_Hater wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Well his season TS% keeps dropping to about the level of last year. Only difference between last year and this year is he takes 3.5 more shots a game.

I've never had a love affair with DD but this isn't completely true. I might even argue that since that open 12 game scoring streak that DD has actually been playing better. We always new his TS% would slip a bit because he doesn't shoot 3's but his passing and overall decision making have never been better and he still seems to be getting higher quality looks than previous years.

Incredibly enough, Lowry might also be playing the best ball of his career. It's like those 2 refuse to peak.

Yeah this is true, his defensive rebounding is actually increased significantly and I wonder if that's a coaching move to get the ball in his hands for the run.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#564 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:58 am

zimpy27 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Well his season TS% keeps dropping to about the level of last year. Only difference between last year and this year is he takes 3.5 more shots a game.

I've never had a love affair with DD but this isn't completely true. I might even argue that since that open 12 game scoring streak that DD has actually been playing better. We always new his TS% would slip a bit because he doesn't shoot 3's but his passing and overall decision making have never been better and he still seems to be getting higher quality looks than previous years.

Incredibly enough, Lowry might also be playing the best ball of his career. It's like those 2 refuse to peak.

Yeah this is true, his defensive rebounding is actually increased significantly and I wonder if that's a coaching move to get the ball in his hands for the run.

Our rebounding blows, so it could just be the coach asking the perimeter players to crash the board more so we don't give up anymore easy putbacks.

Read on Twitter
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#565 » by LakersLegacy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:00 am

It's refreshing to see a player step his game up AFTER the big contract. How many times have we seen a drop off from a player after a contract year?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#566 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:12 am

Choker wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Our rebounding blows, so it could just be the coach asking the perimeter players to crash the board more so we don't give up anymore easy putbacks.

Our rebounding differential is 16th out of 30 teams. Not great but not nearly as bad as it seems at times.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,497

Post#567 » by ropjhk » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:32 am

Numbers wise over the past 10 games or so derozan's numbers have been closer to previous year averages. Oddly enough, many Raptor fans seem happier with those type of numbers than when he was scoring like crazy at the beginning of the season. That the Raptors are winning and their offense has been amazing may have something to do with people's perception of Derozan's play. Last year, despite averaging the same type of numbers that he's been putting up his past 10 games, Derozan got criticized heavily for shooting too much.

Goes to show you need to take box score numbers in context.

Last 10 games: 22 ppg, %.430fg, 5.8rpg, 5.5apg, 1spg
Last season: 23.5ppg, .446fg%, 4.5rpg, 4apg, 1spg
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#568 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:16 am

ropjhk wrote:Numbers wise over the past 10 games or so derozan's numbers have been closer to previous year averages. Oddly enough, many Raptor fans seem happier with those type of numbers than when he was scoring like crazy at the beginning of the season. That the Raptors are winning and their offense has been amazing may have something to do with people's perception of Derozan's play. Last year, despite averaging the same type of numbers that he's been putting up his past 10 games, Derozan got criticized heavily for shooting too much.

One thing that DeRozan's really bolstered in the past 10 games is his ability to pass out of pressure and double teams. When he's in a tough situation he'll usually just settle for a contested jumper, but lately he's been able to make nifty passes to a cutter or open 3 point shooter more frequently. I prefer the DeMar that opened up the season because that usage on that efficient is just insane, though the DeRozan the past couple of games is in some ways, more fun to watch.

Read on Twitter
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#569 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:27 am

derozan back to being derozan his passing is better but defense is straight trash. first 9 games must of been space jam water anyways it was a good run.
Raptors til death
KnightofHyrule
Sixth Man
And1: 1,929

Post#570 » by KnightofHyrule » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:44 pm

ropjhk wrote:Numbers wise over the past 10 games or so derozan's numbers have been closer to previous year averages. Oddly enough, many Raptor fans seem happier with those type of numbers than when he was scoring like crazy at the beginning of the season. That the Raptors are winning and their offense has been amazing may have something to do with people's perception of Derozan's play. Last year, despite averaging the same type of numbers that he's been putting up his past 10 games, Derozan got criticized heavily for shooting too much.

More context is needed though. DeRozan has been getting double and triple teamed constantly. The Kings, Hawks, and Cavs religiously kept at least 2 defenders near him. He is being defended more aggressively this year because of his fantastic start.

Also, over the last 10 games Raptors have been blowing out 3 teams, leaving DeRozan on the bench for much of the 4th.
casey_glory7 wrote:Raptors vs GS finals 2018 confirmed. I'll pay every realgm member 50 bucks if im wrong.

Thanks for ruining everything, KD....
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#571 » by Gil » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Knew he'd get exposed in the Playoffs.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#572 » by Heezzi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Demar DeFrozen
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#573 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Gil wrote:Knew he'd get exposed in the Playoffs.

I actually thought Derozan had taken a big step this year, and that he would put the poor postseason play behind him. But geez.. those two in Toronto just cannot perform when the pressure is on.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#574 » by fouronesix22 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

I actually thought Derozan had taken a big step this year, and that he would put the poor postseason play behind him. But geez.. those two in Toronto just cannot perform when the pressure is on.

Thats true they can't. However they continue to play ISO ball against a bucks team where they are built to defend that. As much as its on Lowry and Derozan its also on our coach for not yanking them for not playing well at all
The_Hater

Post#575 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

I'm a DD critic as a Raptor fan but I thought he'd taken that needed step too. He's always had trouble with long, athletic defenders but he seemed to have added a couple of moves to combat this during the season. Apparently that wasn't the case and his defense is as bad as ever. My biggest fear entering the 1st round was that Middleton would outplay him matchup hasn't even been close.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#576 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 pm

fouronesix22 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

Thats true they can't. However they continue to play ISO ball against a bucks team where they are built to defend that. As much as its on Lowry and Derozan its also on our coach for not yanking them for not playing well at all

And play who in their place?

The Raptors can't create any offense without at least one of those 2 on the floor. Just like most NBA teams, you have to live and die with your best players because there isn't anybody who can step in and replace their production.

If Casey is to be blamed for anything it's failing to prepare his team and make adjustments to what the Bucks are throwing at them. This is 4 straight playoffs this has been a major issue.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#577 » by fouronesix22 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

The_Hater wrote:
fouronesix22 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:I actually thought Derozan had taken a big step this year, and that he would put the poor postseason play behind him. But geez.. those two in Toronto just cannot perform when the pressure is on.

And play who in their place?

The Raptors can't create any offense without at least one of those 2 on the floor. Just like most NBA teams, you have to live and die with your best players because there isn't anybody who can step in and replace their production.

If Casey is to be blamed for anything it's failing to prepare his team and make adjustments to what the Bucks are throwing at them. This is 4 straight playoffs this has been a major issue.

I was referring to just game 3. Once we were down big and the game was out of reach the bench should have came in sending a message to them that they need to play better. At that point the bench was a better option than our starting 5. The effort wasnt there, no passion and they were getting frustrated showing weakness.

Casey did not make ajustments that is correct. Not running plays or making their players move the ball to get a good shot instead he was ok with lowry shooting terrible 3 point attempts and derozan shooting contest 2 pointers against bigger defenders. Casey claims he is making adjustments for the next game but I feel after we almost lost game 2 there should have been a change in strategy thats for sure
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#578 » by johanliebert » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:55 pm

fouronesix22 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

they dont play iso ball tho. if you cant read their offense thats on you.
The_Hater

Post#579 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm

johanliebert wrote:
fouronesix22 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:I actually thought Derozan had taken a big step this year, and that he would put the poor postseason play behind him. But geez.. those two in Toronto just cannot perform when the pressure is on.

Demar plays tons of ISO ball after the initial PnR. That's his bread and butter. They also ISO'd JV in the 1st quarter a few times and that backfired.

Coupled with the fact that the finished last in the NBA in apg It's fairly obvious Raps play as much ISO ball as any NBA team. Ball movement is not their thing.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
gregorycole
Sophomore
And1: 120

Post#580 » by gregorycole » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:12 pm

johanliebert wrote:
fouronesix22 wrote:

What? ISO is literally all they do! They spam top of the key picks hoping for a switch and ISO until the shotclock's at 2 or 3

Return to The General Board