Stephen Curry Could Sign Five-Year, $207M Deal Due To New CBA Rule

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Stephen Curry Could Sign Five-Year, $207M Deal Due To New CBA Rule 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:13 am

The salary of Stephen Curry is set to increase from $12 million this season to $36 million next season as part of the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement.

Curry is on the final season of a four-year, $44 million extension signed in 2012.

Because of a new rule, Curry's new contract could be worth $207 million over five seasons with $47 million coming in 21-22.

The new rule enables a narrow selection of superstars who are willing to re-sign with their current team to receive up to 35 percent of the salary cap if certain benchmarks are met. As a two-time MVP who has played his entire career with the Warriors, Curry would meet the qualifications.

A player with Curry's experience level, under the previous CBA, would have been able to sign for only 30 percent of the cap.

If Curry were interested in changing teams, he could only sign a four-year deal worth approximately $135 million.

Via Brian Windhorst, Marc Stein/ESPN

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Stephen Curry Could Sign Five-Year, $207M Deal Due To New CBA Rule 

Post#2 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:12 am

No more being underpaid!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#3 » by likashing » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 am

Shouldn't the 35% max starting salary in 2017-18 be $33.5m at a projected cap of $102m?

I don't understand how the article calculated $36m.

Looks like Marc Stein did a direct 35% of $102m. But unless they changed in the new CBA, x% max salary's basis is not that cap number. It is some other number so 35% of $102m isn't right.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#4 » by old rem » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:01 am

likashing wrote:Shouldn't the 35% max starting salary in 2017-18 be $33.5m at a projected cap of $102m?

I don't understand how the article calculated $36m.

Looks like Marc Stein did a direct 35% of $102m. But unless they changed in the new CBA, x% max salary's basis is not that cap number. It is some other number so 35% of $102m isn't right.
Not sure how much Steph will get.. but he WILL get Max. As a Bird rights veteran.. no problem.
CENSORED... No comment.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#5 » by hyberx » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:38 am

He deserves every penny given how much he was underpaid. Good thing is Draymond and Klay are locked up long term, so they have plenty for KD as well. With outstanding rookie players in McKaw and maybe Damian Jones as well on cheap contracts, we should be able to resign Iggy and Livingston. The core will be there for years to come. :P
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#6 » by LeMasta » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:31 am

Jesus. That makes up for the last 2 years of being underpaid.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#7 » by TimRobbins » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:53 am

Worth every penny, but would make it impossible for the warriors to keep the current team.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#8 » by Sam195 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:48 pm

This new cba is going to kill superstar fee agency - KD will be the last one for a long time. I can't see any star player regardless of market leave a 5th year and guaranteed 70M+ to leave their existing team. And apparently the nba changed the rookie max extension to 6 years for a player who resigns with his current team (2 players per team) instead of pursuing restricted free agency the following summer where they can only pursue 4 year offer sheets or resign with their current team for 5 years (6 year option is only for early extension). Two years of max money in the nba especially with the new salary cap levels is a lot for a young player in 20s to pass up just to explore free agency.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#9 » by likashing » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:01 am

These writers making a living writing the NBA still don't know the real number of a 35% for a $102m cap. It's $33.5m not $36m.

Curry's contract won't top $200m unfortunately.

Pathetic *jorunalists* who just copy off each other and everyone gets the wrong #
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#10 » by MitchB3 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:15 pm

TimRobbins wrote:Worth every penny, but would make it impossible for the warriors to keep the current team.

I'm pretty sure that's why they made it like that. I believe secretly some players and owners are tired of seeing the league get killed by superteams.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#11 » by MitchB3 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:19 pm

hyberx wrote:He deserves every penny given how much he was underpaid. Good thing is Draymond and Klay are locked up long term, so they have plenty for KD as well. With outstanding rookie players in McKaw and maybe Damian Jones as well on cheap contracts, we should be able to resign Iggy and Livingston. The core will be there for years to come. :P

I'm pretty sure you misread the article because from what I read the new CBA is targeting super teams, just like the Warriors. The Warriors can go into their own cap to resign Curry, but they won't have enough money to resign KD unless he decides to do another one plus one until the team gets his bird rights.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
hyberx wrote:He deserves every penny given how much he was underpaid. Good thing is Draymond and Klay are locked up long term, so they have plenty for KD as well. With outstanding rookie players in McKaw and maybe Damian Jones as well on cheap contracts, we should be able to resign Iggy and Livingston. The core will be there for years to come. :P

I'm pretty sure you misread the article because from what I read the new CBA is targeting super teams, just like the Warriors. The Warriors can go into their own cap to resign Curry, but they won't have enough money to resign KD unless he decides to do another one plus one until the team gets his bird rights.

The issues being reported from my interpretation is that the CBA really hasn't done anything to break up super teams like the last deal which greatly increased luxury tax penalties and was a factor for the initial breakup of the Miami Big 3. The issue the warriors will be dealing with is the fact that KD signed a 1+1 deal this past summer that he will opt out of and forfeited his bird rights by leaving the Thunder. Based on the CBA rules which for this issue remained the same in the past and in the new deal, when Durant opts out he will only have early-bird rights with the Warriors so they can only resign him by offering him a 7.5% raise on his previous season's salary which is a lot less than the max deal salary he's entitled to on the open market because he has 10+ years of nba experience and can demand a starting salary of 35% of the new higher salary cap. Warriors will have no issue resigning Curry and he won't be required to take a discount because he has bird rights and since he was underpaid on his last deal his cap hold will be a lot lower than he is worth. In order for the Warriors to retain Durant - there will have to be some compromise reached where Durant takes less than the full max say on a 3 year deal like what Lebron just did while the Warriors renounce some other free agents like iggy and Livingston in order to open some cap space to resign Durant at a competitive salary with his market value. After Durant opts out on the third year of this proposed three year deal he will have full bird rights with the warriors and they can max him out with a huge contract like what they are expected to do with Curry next summer in the future. Draymond and Klay are both under contract for another 3 years on discounted deals from the old cba. This new cba really screwed KD for leaving Thunder had he stayed in OKC on a 1+1 he could opt out next summer and ink 5 years 207M with a no trade clause like Curry but instead the most he can get is 4 years 135M from all teams including the Warriors cause he lost his bird rights.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#13 » by TimRobbins » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:29 am

MitchB3 wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Worth every penny, but would make it impossible for the warriors to keep the current team.

I'm pretty sure that's why they made it like that. I believe secretly some players and owners are tired of seeing the league get killed by superteams.

The owners - yeah.
The players don't really care. For them is just means more money.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#14 » by NashtyNas » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:27 am

likashing wrote:These writers making a living writing the NBA still don't know the real number of a 35% for a $102m cap. It's $33.5m not $36m.

Pathetic *jorunalists* who just copy off each other and everyone gets the wrong #

102 * 0.35.

What's the answer?

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
likashing
Head Coach

Post#15 » by likashing » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:35 pm

I_Socrates wrote:
likashing wrote:These writers making a living writing the NBA still don't know the real number of a 35% for a $102m cap. It's $33.5m not $36m.

102 * 0.35.

What's the answer?

That's why you are wrong. Max salary is not calculated by multiplying off the $102m cap number.

This year's cap figure is $94.143m. Go check what LeBron makes (35%), what Durant makes (30%), what Harrison Barnes makes (25%).

Return to Wiretap Discussion