NBA To Become First League To Offer Medical Benefits To Retired Players

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA To Become First League To Offer Medical Benefits To Retired Players 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:13 pm

The NBA will become the first professional sports league to offer retired players medical benefits as part of a comprehensive and enhanced player retirement package.

"That was kind of a big point for us to be able to give back to retired players," Carmelo Anthony told ESPN concerning the recent collective bargaining agreement negotiations. "Every league sees what happens to retired players after a certain period of time. But for us to be able to take care of those guys, I know how much it means to them."

Starting on Jan. 1, the NBA and NBPA will equally fund a new health insurance plan, education/career development program and increases in pension benefits for retired players.

Previously, players who retired from the NBA received a pension from the league but were responsible for their own health insurance. 

The sudden heart-related deaths of Darryl Dawkins and Moses Malone in 2015 led Adam Silver to call Michele Roberts about addressing this issue in their new CBA talks.

Michael Jordan also played a big role in stressing the importance of this issue.

"(Malone's and Dawkins' deaths) sent shock waves through the whole basketball universe," said Dwight Davis, who played for the Cavaliers and Warriors in the late 1970s and now serves as vice chairman for the National Basketball Retired Players Association. "Some of the deaths of retired players could have been avoidable because guys didn't have insurance and weren't doing yearly checkups."

"This is the first time in professional sports that this has happened," Davis added of the NBA providing medical benefits for retired players and their families. "What it means, dollar-wise for a guy like me who is 67, steadily employed for a while, on Medicare, with this new plan, I am going to save thousands of dollars -- in co-pays a minimum of $4,000 to $5,000 a year.

"Some of my younger counterparts are guys in their 40s, some of those guys are paying $30,000 a year for health insurance for themselves and families because of preexisting injuries. The abuse our bodies take, it is hard to get affordable insurance as a retired player."

Via Ohm Youngmisuk/ESPN

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Re: NBA To Become First League To Offer Medical Benefits To Retired Players 

Post#2 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Doesn't MLB provide health insurance for life for retired players?

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-nhl-nba-mlb-retirement-pension-plans-lockout-2011-1
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#3 » by Hoopzilla » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:48 pm

This is only an issue for American players. Every other developed country provides free healthcare for their residents. Nice to see the NBA pick up the slack for a poor government. Sad really.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#4 » by jlokine » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:This is only an issue for American players. Every other developed country provides free healthcare for their residents. Nice to see the NBA pick up the slack for a poor government. Sad really.

well, the people spoke and apparently 50% of them dont want free healthcare at the cost of higher tax. with obamacare, it was going that direction, but apparently ppl had a problem with it and voiced it with their votes.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#5 » by SF_Warriors » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:17 am

Adam silver putting in work!
eddie jerel
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#6 » by eddie jerel » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:10 am

This again proves the NBA/NBAPA do care for their Former Players health unlike Rougher/more violent NFL and NHL. They also realized a pay increase was in order. Strangely the NFL makes 4X's as much but pays 1/2 as much,on Ins and Retiree Pay,as NBA will for whole 6 yrs of New CBA. Hopefully,even if it leads to another Lock Out,NFL Players will demand this treatment
Newzfeed4U
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Newzfeed4U » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Steve Kerr the man for proposing the idea first. BIG UPS
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:37 pm

Nice move, influenced by Obamacare?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#9 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:17 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Nice move, influenced by Obamacare?

Obamacare was actually a gift to health insurance companies. Forcing people to get health care, with no public option, so health insurance companies can continue jacking up prices.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#10 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:21 pm

jlokine wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:This is only an issue for American players. Every other developed country provides free healthcare for their residents. Nice to see the NBA pick up the slack for a poor government. Sad really.

well, the people spoke and apparently 50% of them dont want free healthcare at the cost of higher tax. with obamacare, it was going that direction, but apparently ppl had a problem with it and voiced it with their votes.

Are you referring to the US election?

I believe not even 50% of eligible voters, voted. Plus neither candidate was for free health care. So I don't see how you can say 50% didn't want it. As Bernie has pointed out, he'd fund "free healthcare" by closing tax loop holes big companies take advantage of. Also, a lot of people are stupid. If the government is providing health care, even if some of it comes from taxes they pay, they seem to forget the fact they won't need to pay $400 - $600 a month for healthcare. Most people save money, but oh no, taxes are evil!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Nice move, influenced by Obamacare?

Obamacare was actually a gift to health insurance companies. Forcing people to get health care, with no public option, so health insurance companies can continue jacking up prices.

Are you sure?

The Affordable Care Act was intended to increase health insurance quality and affordability, lower the uninsured rate by expanding insurance coverage and reduce the costs of healthcare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#12 » by jlokine » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:32 am

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:
jlokine wrote:

Are you referring to the US election?

I believe not even 50% of eligible voters, voted. Plus neither candidate was for free health care. So I don't see how you can say 50% didn't want it. As Bernie has pointed out, he'd fund "free healthcare" by closing tax loop holes big companies take advantage of. Also, a lot of people are stupid. If the government is providing health care, even if some of it comes from taxes they pay, they seem to forget the fact they won't need to pay $400 - $600 a month for healthcare. Most people save money, but oh no, taxes are evil!

well, i've spoken to a trump supporter and that was the beef they had with obamacare and that their taxes went up. and i just meant obamacare was a step towards universal health care. i m pretty sure americans would exercise their 2nd amendment right and fight against the government if they get taxed what canadians get taxed, even if it meant they'd get free healthcare. i just said 50% because that's what the voting results pretty much were. no need to get techical on me. sorry i didnt take out my calculator to calculate the actual %age.

Return to Wiretap Discussion