ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL firings - Baalke and Kelly talk ONLY.

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#201 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:13 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:Ian Rapoport:

The #49ers have requested permission to speak with #Bills OC Anthony Lynn. Curious to see it this speeds up Buffalo’s decisions.

They interviewed him last year. So not sure if they were intrigued enough to bring him back again, or if its a Rooney rule interview.

Either way, it seems as though Jed is lining up HC interviews before GM interviews. Which brings up the question who is going to be sitting alongside Jed during these HC interviews?

Paraag Marathe. Said as much today at the PC. Didn't list anybody else. Eventually could be the GM as well if they go that route first as many expect them to.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there were 2-3 others that are physically in the room but take a backseat, too. That's common practice for most owners to have a number of lesser knowns in the room that they're comfortable with taking in the interview as well. Normally, that could include a Tom Gamble, but hard telling where he goes now.

Now a Al Guido or someone from the legal side (Hannah Gordon?) could be someone that just sits in on these meetings but doesn't have a deciding role in any of those specific decisions.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#202 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:20 pm

thesack12 wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
They interviewed him last year. So not sure if they were intrigued enough to bring him back again, or if its a Rooney rule interview.

Either way, it seems as though Jed is lining up HC interviews before GM interviews. Which brings up the question who is going to be sitting alongside Jed during these HC interviews?

Paraag Marathe. Said as much today at the PC. Didn't list anybody else. Eventually could be the GM as well if they go that route first as many expect them to.

Marathe should have been included in Jed's house cleaning if he truly wants to create a "championship culture."

I'm fine with people not liking him. Fans don't like a lot of people in organizations that struggle. But along with that I have personally stopped listening to most fans these days when it comes to Marathe because they often prove to be wrong about what they know about him and where his influences on the team start and stop and how his work is actually processed by the 49ers. I used to put the effort in to try and get people to just look at the known facts on him but it's not worth my time or energy any more.

Is that harsh? Sure, but I just don't have the time or the desire to listen too much to too many people any more when it comes to their rants on Marathe because over 90% of fans have the Marathe stuff wrong.

Are you one? I don't know and I don't care. I'm just talking about 49ers fans that I know as a collective bunch. Like I said, that part of the cog isn't worth my time any more.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#203 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:48 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Aaron Erickson:

Louis Riddick, rumored to be a candidate for #49ers GM, said on ESPN that SF may be most desirable HC opening. Putting in work early. #49wz

Off to a good start that's for sure
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#204 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 8:13 pm

Let's face it, Paraag has no football background.

But for whatever reason, John York kind of adopted him as a son, so impressed was he by PowerPoint slides.

So he's going to be in the decision chain, as long as the Yorks own the team.

Jed said today you can't fire the owner. Nor the owner's adopted son/brother.

Family ownership is NOT about meritocracy is it?
wartyOne
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#205 » by wartyOne » Mon Jan 2, 2017 10:29 pm

Reading the transcript from the Press Conference today, it's hard to tell if this was the 2017 version, the 2016 version, or the 2015 version. The only things that give it away are the few mentions of Chip Kelly. Same tired responses. Same clueless clown in charge of the next disastrous upcoming hires.

Specifically he mentions that the 9ers have a president (Al Guido) and that he (referring to either himself or his massively overinflated sense of self worth; it wasn't clear which) doesn't make football decisions, then says the coach and GM will be decided on by EXACTLY NOT THE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS. Can anybody explain to me how hiring the GM and the Head Coach AREN'T football decisions? Is Jed referring to "not calling plays on game days" when he says he "doesn't make football decisions?"

I'm going to call it right here and now and say that whomever they hire will be a miserable failure, because it's the same clown driving the same car year after year, and he obviously doesn't know what he doesn't know. I would have loved to have been in the press conference to respond to "Our fans deserve better than this," with "Your fans deserve better than you, specifically."

We're at least a decade away from being competitive, and that's if Jed does absolutely everything correctly (not possible; screwing everything up as badly as possible is etched into the York family DNA). Yay. Go team.
wartyOne
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#206 » by wartyOne » Mon Jan 2, 2017 10:44 pm

I also liked the line about "This isn't a business operating as a money-making device." Clearly that's not the case. There's no incentive for this team to get better. They can be as miserable as they were this year, still make hundreds of millions each year in pure profit, and the only recrimination is the 20 minutes of lip service this clown has to pay to Bay Area beat writers at the end of the season. Which, I might add, sounds like it's the same speech one of Jed's pals wrote back in 2014.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#207 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 2, 2017 10:47 pm

Hearing Vikings' George Paton's name being thrown out there as a potential, GM replacement.

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#208 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 2, 2017 10:55 pm

Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/02/49ers-ask-permission-to-interview-chiefs-chris-ballard/

This would be exciting. I've loved the moves the Chiefs have made over the last few years.

Pick him off & have him take Poe along with him! :D :D :D :D :D
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#209 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:05 pm

wartyOne wrote:I also liked the line about "This isn't a business operating as a money-making device." Clearly that's not the case. There's no incentive for this team to get better. They can be as miserable as they were this year, still make hundreds of millions each year in pure profit, and the only recrimination is the 20 minutes of lip service this clown has to pay to Bay Area beat writers at the end of the season. Which, I might add, sounds like it's the same speech one of Jed's pals wrote back in 2014.

Umm you do know York is eating about $30 million in contracts of people no longer employed by the origanization? Tomsula, Kelly, Baalke.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#210 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:13 pm

Mike Silver: "One person Jed York will talk to a lot is Bill Parcells"

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/102243-mike-silver-person-jed-york-talk-bill-parcells/

This is the first offseason in a long time - minus the Harbaugh years even though I wasn't the biggest Harbaugh guy - that I haven't called for Parcells' name to take over in either a front office or coaching role because, obviously, that ship has finally sailed. Too bad. He's one of my all-time favorites that I'd have liked to have seen as a Niner at some point.

I haven't always liked the guys Parcells has always recommended to other teams for HC candidates but that alone wouldn't be enough for this to drag me down if one said that York was going to rely on Parcells as more than just a brief conversation type of thing.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#211 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:14 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Mike Silver: "One person Jed York will talk to a lot is Bill Parcells"

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/102243-mike-silver-person-jed-york-talk-bill-parcells/

This is the first offseason in a long time - minus the Harbaugh years even though I wasn't the biggest Harbaugh guy - that I haven't called for Parcells' name to take over in either a front office or coaching role because, obviously, that ship has finally sailed. Too bad. He's one of my all-time favorites that I'd have liked to have seen as a Niner at some point.

I haven't always liked the guys Parcells has always recommended to other teams for HC candidates but that alone wouldn't be enough for this to drag me down if one said that York was going to rely on Parcells as more than just a brief conversation type of thing.

And if this irks anybody because Baalke loved Parcells and would sometimes talk to Parcells himself then that pleases me even more if he reaches out to him for ANYTHING. :)
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#212 » by I_am_1z » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:18 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:

Louis Riddick, rumored to be a candidate for #49ers GM, said on ESPN that SF may be most desirable HC opening. Putting in work early. #49wz

Reasons I want Louis Riddick is likely the same reasons why 49er fans should dislike him. He thinks a lot like Baalke. Just hope is WR and QB evals are significantly better.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#213 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:48 pm

We are interviewing Kyle Shanahan between Friday and Saturday.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#214 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:50 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:

Reasons I want Louis Riddick is likely the same reasons why 49er fans should dislike him. He thinks a lot like Baalke. Just hope is WR and QB evals are significantly better.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Too much on-the-surface thinking IMO. They are similar but they are their own men without a doubt. Many of their player evaluations on air and on radio is evidence of that. So is in their approaches with how they deal with rosters, free agents, and the front office/player dynamic on a day-to-day basis. How they go about approaching free agents are polar opposites as well. I wouldn't expect many common fans to know this, and at the risk of sounding arrogant, I would just advise you to be careful running with that comparison. Yes, Riddick is closer to Baalke than a lot of the other favorites, but he's far from a Baalke disciple either.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#215 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:00 am

Ian Rapoport:

Between Friday and Saturday, #Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan will do HC interviews with #Rams, #Jaguars, #Broncos & #49ers, sources say.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#216 » by I_am_1z » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:00 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Too much on-the-surface thinking IMO. They are similar but they are their own men without a doubt. Many of their player evaluations on air and on radio is evidence of that. So is in their approaches with how they deal with rosters, free agents, and the front office/player dynamic on a day-to-day basis. How they go about approaching free agents are polar opposites as well. I wouldn't expect many common fans to know this, and at the risk of sounding arrogant, I would just advise you to be careful running with that comparison. Yes, Riddick is closer to Baalke than a lot of the other favorites, but he's far from a Baalke disciple either.

Go into some detail. His tweets come off as if he idolizes what Baalke has been trying to do.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:20 am

Riddick has shown me a far greater philosophical approach than Baalke ever has. This is huge IMO. Trent is like a cave man in this regard.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:21 am

So IRap just tweeted that Ballard isn't going to interview with us because he is too happy in KC.

OUCH.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#219 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:26 am

I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Go into some detail. His tweets come off as if he idolizes what Baalke has been trying to do.

Baalke is more one straight lane, man-to-man, size you up without a whole lot of deception or variation in what he wants to do (usually).

Riddick is more straight up man to man but also has been vocal about being multiple/varied in all 3 aspects of the game.

Baalke thinks like a scout. He never had a great handle at working with all levels of the organization and taking his vision and mashing it together with other strengths that were there in the organization. Riddick thinks like a player who is still evolving into a personnel man, but one who, I think, sees the value in taking in all opinions and coming up with a joined plan that everybody can get behind.

Baalke became a fan of playing a political game with himself at the helm. Riddick couldn't be any more different when it comes to playing politics with everybody. Riddick himself, "When you feel like you're constantly trying to do that little political dance, you spend more time messing around with that BS than you do trying to be a professional. That is tiring. It's really tiring."

Baalke hardly put much effort into the free agency game because he didn't have the personality for it and partially because he wasn't a huge fan of FA. Riddick isn't a huge FA fan either in the sense of building a team that way but has talked extensively on ESPN radio for a general manager/head man to be active with your free agents and selling your vision and making them a part of it. Baalke was terrible at selling his vision. Riddick is VERY, VERY good at selling his vision to media types, young people, and I would imagine as a former player it would carry over to current players. He's almost preachy with it. This might be one of his best attributes IMO.

Baalke, like a scout, felt like the day-to-day thing wasn't as important for him. He would go long stretches before he'd poke his head in certain rooms. Riddick, again, while working at ESPN has talked extensively about how important it is for the head guy to be in lock step with every single room (quarterbacks, DL, training room, cafeteria, etc). Keeping an eye on what each room needs for that week. This is an area that many personnel people haven't even thought of - making it a marriage between the personnel side and the coaching and player side.

Any questions?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#220 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:27 am

Has Riddick ever worked in player personnel?

Or would he be a broadcaster running a front office for the first time, like Matt Millen?

Return to San Francisco 49ers