ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL firings - Baalke and Kelly talk ONLY.

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: OFFICIAL - Baalke and Kelly have been fired. 

Post#221 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:33 am

wco81 wrote:Has Riddick ever worked in player personnel?

Or would he be a broadcaster running a front office for the first time, like Matt Millen?

His background. He was a safety and was drafted by the 49ers in 1991 (go figure) in the 9th round. Played that one season for them and then played one year in the WLAF for a season. Then for the next, I think, 4 years he bounced around the NFL again before finishing his career in the XFL for a season. He became a pro scout for the Redskins after that season ended where he spent 3 seasons. In 2005, he became their director of PRO personnel, which lasted I think 2 more seasons. In 2008, he went back to scouting for a year with the Eagles, then in 2009 was their assistant director of pro personnel for a season before being promoted to the actual director of pro personnel where he lasted until 2013. Then he went and signed with ESPN.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#222 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:35 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

Go into some detail. His tweets come off as if he idolizes what Baalke has been trying to do.

Baalke is more one straight lane, man-to-man, size you up without a whole lot of deception or variation in what he wants to do (usually).

Riddick is more straight up man to man but also has been vocal about being multiple/varied in all 3 aspects of the game.

Baalke thinks like a scout. He never had a great handle at working with all levels of the organization and taking his vision and mashing it together with other strengths that were there in the organization. Riddick thinks like a player who is still evolving into a personnel man, but one who, I think, sees the value in taking in all opinions and coming up with a joined plan that everybody can get behind.

Baalke became a fan of playing a political game with himself at the helm. Riddick couldn't be any more different when it comes to playing politics with everybody. Riddick himself, "When you feel like you're constantly trying to do that little political dance, you spend more time messing around with that BS than you do trying to be a professional. That is tiring. It's really tiring."

Baalke hardly put much effort into the free agency game because he didn't have the personality for it and partially because he wasn't a huge fan of FA. Riddick isn't a huge FA fan either in the sense of building a team that way but has talked extensively on ESPN radio for a general manager/head man to be active with your free agents and selling your vision and making them a part of it. Baalke was terrible at selling his vision. Riddick is VERY, VERY good at selling his vision to media types, young people, and I would imagine as a former player it would carry over to current players. He's almost preachy with it. This might be one of his best attributes IMO.

Baalke, like a scout, felt like the day-to-day thing wasn't as important for him. He would go long stretches before he'd poke his head in certain rooms. Riddick, again, while working at ESPN has talked extensively about how important it is for the head guy to be in lock step with every single room (quarterbacks, DL, training room, cafeteria, etc). Keeping an eye on what each room needs for that week. This is an area that many personnel people haven't even thought of - making it a marriage between the personnel side and the coaching and player side.

Any questions?

Spot on.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#223 » by I_am_1z » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:35 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

Go into some detail. His tweets come off as if he idolizes what Baalke has been trying to do.

Baalke is more one straight lane, man-to-man, size you up without a whole lot of deception or variation in what he wants to do (usually).

Riddick is more straight up man to man but also has been vocal about being multiple/varied in all 3 aspects of the game.

Baalke thinks like a scout. He never had a great handle at working with all levels of the organization and taking his vision and mashing it together with other strengths that were there in the organization. Riddick thinks like a player who is still evolving into a personnel man, but one who, I think, sees the value in taking in all opinions and coming up with a joined plan that everybody can get behind.

Baalke became a fan of playing a political game with himself at the helm. Riddick couldn't be any more different when it comes to playing politics with everybody. Riddick himself, "When you feel like you're constantly trying to do that little political dance, you spend more time messing around with that BS than you do trying to be a professional. That is tiring. It's really tiring."

Baalke hardly put much effort into the free agency game because he didn't have the personality for it and partially because he wasn't a huge fan of FA. Riddick isn't a huge FA fan either in the sense of building a team that way but has talked extensively on ESPN radio for a general manager/head man to be active with your free agents and selling your vision and making them a part of it. Baalke was terrible at selling his vision. Riddick is VERY, VERY good at selling his vision to media types, young people, and I would imagine as a former player it would carry over to current players. He's almost preachy with it. This might be one of his best attributes IMO.

Baalke, like a scout, felt like the day-to-day thing wasn't as important for him. He would go long stretches before he'd poke his head in certain rooms. Riddick, again, while working at ESPN has talked extensively about how important it is for the head guy to be in lock step with every single room (quarterbacks, DL, training room, cafeteria, etc). Keeping an eye on what each room needs for that week. This is an area that many personnel people haven't even thought of - making it a marriage between the personnel side and the coaching and player side.

Any questions?

Nope. Thanks for changing my perspective on the matter.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#224 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Jan 3, 2017 12:45 am

Chiefs VP of Ops Chris Ballard declines to interview with 49ers for GM job. Althought Ian Rappaport is saying Ballard wouldnt interview anywhere this year, he is said to be very happy in KC.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#225 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:21 am

Aaron Erickson:

So, reports that Ballard had an interview scheduled w/ #49ers were incorrect. Not sure he had HC to match w/for York's plan, anyway. #49wz

Everybody thought he might propose Mike Toub. I wonder if he'd have advocated for Eric Bieniemy. Guess we won't know.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:32 am

IRap:
Big news: #Packers exec Eliot Wolf will be interviewing with the #49ers this week, source said.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#227 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:38 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:IRap:
Big news: #Packers exec Eliot Wolf will be interviewing with the #49ers this week, source said.

And if he were to look in his own house for a name, my vote would be for Winston Moss (associate head coach/linebackers coach). I've discussed him on this board the last two searches.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#228 » by RedneckNiner » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:40 am

ELLIOTT WOLF I might even forgive Jed a little bit if that is our new GM... Thats like my dream scenario of a pick...
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:41 am

Schefter:
49ers will interview Packers Director of college scouting Brian Gutekunst, per source. Also Packers exec Eliot Wolf, as @TomPelissero said.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:41 am

I can't see Wolf leaving when he is set to takeover for Thompson.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#231 » by RedneckNiner » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:47 am

I tend to agree Ray but I can dream a little....
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:51 am

Barrows:
#49ers flying to Green Bay Thursday to interview Eliot Wolf and, according to @RapSheet, Packers dir of player personnel Brian Gutekunst.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#233 » by NinerSickness » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:51 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:IRap:

Meh.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#234 » by yellowknifer » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:06 am

wco81 wrote:Let's face it, Paraag has no football background.

But for whatever reason, John York kind of adopted him as a son, so impressed was he by PowerPoint slides.

So he's going to be in the decision chain, as long as the Yorks own the team.

Jed said today you can't fire the owner. Nor the owner's adopted son/brother.

Family ownership is NOT about meritocracy is it?

Owners get fired all the time. Jed is a moron. It's called not going to games. And putting the team out to pasture. Now he's fortunate in that he has 31 other not so completely stupid owners to fall back on to feed him money while he drains the league of resources so actual bankruptcy would be difficult to see, but still not even kind of out of the question.
wartyOne
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#235 » by wartyOne » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:16 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
wartyOne wrote:I also liked the line about "This isn't a business operating as a money-making device." Clearly that's not the case. There's no incentive for this team to get better. They can be as miserable as they were this year, still make hundreds of millions each year in pure profit, and the only recrimination is the 20 minutes of lip service this clown has to pay to Bay Area beat writers at the end of the season. Which, I might add, sounds like it's the same speech one of Jed's pals wrote back in 2014.

Umm you do know York is eating about $30 million in contracts of people no longer employed by the origanization? Tomsula, Kelly, Baalke.

Umm, you do know we were one and a half times that under the cap this year, right? Additionally, $30M to a billionaire is like $50 to us. But who even cares about the pennies the Yorks have to eat because of the absolutely terrible football business decisions they've made since 2000? I typically don't feel bad for billionaires who have to experience slight discomfort because of the poor decisions they've made.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#236 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:23 am

Right plenty of cap room. Lets see how the next coach/gm choose to spend it.
wartyOne
Freshman

Post#237 » by wartyOne » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:29 am

yellowknifer wrote:
wco81 wrote:Let's face it, Paraag has no football background.

But for whatever reason, John York kind of adopted him as a son, so impressed was he by PowerPoint slides.

So he's going to be in the decision chain, as long as the Yorks own the team.

Jed said today you can't fire the owner. Nor the owner's adopted son/brother.

Family ownership is NOT about meritocracy is it?

Owners get fired all the time. Jed is a moron. It's called not going to games. And putting the team out to pasture. Now he's fortunate in that he has 31 other not so completely stupid owners to fall back on to feed him money while he drains the league of resources so actual bankruptcy would be difficult to see, but still not even kind of out of the question.

The NFL's tv contract alone makes it impossible for the worst team's owners to go bankrupt. If no tickets or concessions are sold at all, the Yorks would still be $200M in the black every year.
wartyOne
Freshman

Post#238 » by wartyOne » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:35 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Right plenty of cap room. Lets see how the next coach/gm choose to spend it.

You have to have a partner to go dancing. I don't think we're going to be an attractive place for FA's to consider for at least three seasons. I think you're going to see moves like what Baalke was doing with McDonald and Armstrong toward the end. They've gotta start somewhere.

Remember when Kwame Harris was a complete bust and we overpaid for that LT out of Buffalo (can't even remember his name anymore, thankfully), and he basically just cashed checks on the sideline? I think we're in for several FA classes like that if we do get the right GM and HC in here (I've already stated I think that's unlikely, so I won't beat a dead horse).

So damn much dysfunction with this franchise right now. If 25 years ago you had told me I could trade two Lombardi's back to the NFL for not having to go through this nightmare, I would have accepted it.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#239 » by Dodub » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:38 am

wartyOne wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Right plenty of cap room. Lets see how the next coach/gm choose to spend it.

You have to have a partner to go dancing. I don't think we're going to be an attractive place for FA's to consider for at least three seasons. I think you're going to see moves like what Baalke was doing with McDonald and Armstrong toward the end. They've gotta start somewhere.

Remember when Kwame Harris was a complete bust and we overpaid for that LT out of Buffalo (can't even remember his name anymore, thankfully), and he basically just cashed checks on the sideline? I think we're in for several FA classes like that if we do get the right GM and HC in here (I've already stated I think that's unlikely, so I won't beat a dead horse).

So damn much dysfunction with this franchise right now. If 25 years ago you had told me I could trade two Lombardi's back to the NFL for not having to go through this nightmare, I would have accepted it.

With the right coaching staff and dollar signs there's no doubt that we could attract free agents
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#240 » by Bald Bull » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:57 am

wartyOne wrote:

jonas jennings

Here's a pic just to haunt your memories.

Return to San Francisco 49ers