General Discussion: Bears 2016/17

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#241 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Jan 5, 2017 8:45 pm

The Chiefs already franchised Eric Berry once and I dont think they will do it again because they still have to resign Poe this offseason .The 2nd franchise escalator pretty much assures this .

I would go after Berry in FA and a DB on the defensive side of the ball

I would go after a QB (Cousins) depending on whose available and OT on the offensive side

I would trade down if Allen or Garret if not there but make no mistake about it if they are available at 3 then that makes the value of the pick even greater and I could get even more for it

If we are able to get Berry and Gilmore (perfect scenario) then I would trade down and I would take Peppers because a back end of Berry.Peppers,Gilmore,Porter would provide Vic with a insane amount of versatility.

With the extra picks I get from a trade down a trade for Garapollo is a possibility as well as a young QB in the second and we still have picks in which to go for a tackle and continue to build our depth.

I like Adams as well .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#242 » by CjayC » Fri Jan 6, 2017 2:08 am

patryk7754 wrote:I think Hooker is the best safety in the class. Peppers doesn't really fit our system imo and we need turnovers so I think we should pass on. But if we don't he'll still be great.

I also don't think we should draft secondary in the first. This might be the best and deepest secondary draft ever so I think we can wait on a corner and safety in the 2nd and 3rd. If Allen is gone I'm open to drafting any position except QB. My top pick would probably be Cam Robinson but if we go with a guy like Derek Barnett or Mika Williams

I don't think Peppers is a big turnover guy either, he's more like an undersized LB. That said he has his unique talents. He'll be able to rush the passer, and the way he closes out on tackles and pursues is second to none among the safeties. That said the defensive coordinator will have to be creative, when using him to get all of that out of him so lots of nickel packages with 3 safeties on the field which allows him to roam like an extra LB, etc, etc... I don't think he's like Adams or Hooker where you can just plug into place for 10 years and never have to worry about that spot anymore(At least from the perspective that the Bears need more of a center fielder than an underneath run support kind of guy), but he definitely has unique talents from those two.

I'd be okay with Robinson & Barnett if we traded down a few spots. I like Williams, but Pace can't justify taking two WR's in the first round in 3 drafts, even if White has been a dissapointment. We still need to see what happens with Alshon, and if White can finally shake off the injury bug. Jeffery, White, Meredith isn't a bad 1-2-3 punch though(Assuming Alshon is back). A big trade down and TE's OJ Howard or David Njoku make more sense IMO if we need a receiver because Miller is almost a sure bet at getting hurt.

There should be talent on the board at #3 so I don't think we'll have to go through such drastic measures. Takes Adams or Hooker and be happy.
CjayC
RealGM

Post#243 » by CjayC » Fri Jan 6, 2017 2:23 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:The Chiefs already franchised Eric Berry once and I dont think they will do it again because they still have to resign Poe this offseason .The 2nd franchise escalator pretty much assures this .

I would go after Berry in FA and a DB on the defensive side of the ball

I would go after a QB (Cousins) depending on whose available and OT on the offensive side

I would trade down if Allen or Garret if not there but make no mistake about it if they are available at 3 then that makes the value of the pick even greater and I could get even more for it

If we are able to get Berry and Gilmore (perfect scenario) then I would trade down and I would take Peppers because a back end of Berry.Peppers,Gilmore,Porter would provide Vic with a insane amount of versatility.

With the extra picks I get from a trade down a trade for Garapollo is a possibility as well as a young QB in the second and we still have picks in which to go for a tackle and continue to build our depth.

I like Adams as well .

Berry is a longshot IMO. No reason to move backwards by coming here unless he's really sold on the city of Chicago. The stats weren't as bad as you would think for a team picking #3 overall so if Pace is a great salesman then maybe. I think Gilmore or a Trumaine Johnson i more likely than Berry though. They have pieces in place for a quick turn around. This season basically came down to the fact that the Bears average starting position was awful while opponents field position was favorable; awful production out of the QB position, and lack of forced turnovers.

I'd like Hometown Jimmy the most over drafting a QB, but the Patriots need to get off the crack. I'd do a 1st round swap at most for him and that's only off the strength that the Bears got a good look at him over their joint practices with the Patriots. The value of that swap if they are picking #32 is equivalent to a 1st rounder. No way am I giving up a 1st for him outright though.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#244 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Jan 6, 2017 3:43 am

CjayC wrote:
Berry is a longshot IMO. No reason to move backwards by coming here unless he's really sold on the city of Chicago. The stats weren't as bad as you would think for a team picking #3 overall so if Pace is a great salesman then maybe. I think Gilmore or a Trumaine Johnson i more likely than Berry though. They have pieces in place for a quick turn around. This season basically came down to the fact that the Bears average starting position was awful while opponents field position was favorable; awful production out of the QB position, and lack of forced turnovers.

I'd like Hometown Jimmy the most over drafting a QB, but the Patriots need to get off the crack. I'd do a 1st round swap at most for him and that's only off the strength that the Bears got a good look at him over their joint practices with the Patriots. The value of that swap if they are picking #32 is equivalent to a 1st rounder. No way am I giving up a 1st for him outright though.

It would have to be a good sell job by Pace but if the ability to pay him, top 5 safety money large market with a mix of quality veteran and young pieces in front of him gives us a real shot I think.

I think Jimmy would be ecstatic to come back to the state and be the starting qb for the Bears. I wouldn't be surprised if we are his preferred destination .

Also about Peppers I wouldnt take him unless we got Berry if we didnt get Berry I would take Adams.The prospect of Peppers and berry back there all over the place and the offense not knowing what is gonna be coming each play presents such a unique opportunity.

That speed , closing ability, and sure tackling he would be all over the place. Imagine him and Floyd coming from from the same side :D

We are closer than people think to getting out of the cellar.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#245 » by Bulls69 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:41 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:
CjayC wrote:

It would have to be a good sell job by Pace but if the ability to pay him, top 5 safety money large market with a mix of quality veteran and young pieces in front of him gives us a real shot I think.

I think Jimmy would be ecstatic to come back to the state and be the starting qb for the Bears. I wouldn't be surprised if we are his preferred destination .

Also about Peppers I wouldnt take him unless we got Berry if we didnt get Berry I would take Adams.The prospect of Peppers and berry back there all over the place and the offense not knowing what is gonna be coming each play presents such a unique opportunity.

That speed , closing ability, and sure tackling he would be all over the place. Imagine him and Floyd coming from from the same side :D

Well I had my co workers laughing at me yesterday when I told them that the next year Bears will finish 10-6 this team is very close moving upward.
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#246 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:07 pm

Needs at starting positions: QB, CB, FS, DE

Depth needs: OT (could upgrade Leno but not priority), WR, QB, TE, CB, NT, OLB

The only people that I can see starting for us at QB next year are guys on the roster, Garoppolo or Cousins. I'd go for Garoppolo and trade 2nd round plus late round and maybe future late round swap or something. Otherwise just keep Cutler or Hoyer.

DE Allen is clearly the best player at a position of need for us available in the draft, but it's possible he won't be there at 3. Fingers crossed that qb and Myles Garrett go 1 and 2. But unlikely. Kawan Short and Jonathan Hankins are the free agent options.

Berry would be ideal for what we're missing at safety and would pair very well with Amos, who is a sure tackler and reliable but not a center fielder ballhawk. Hooker and Adams are similar to Berry and have that pro bowl potential.

Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore are perfect. Johnson has already been franchise tagged once so he may be available. Gilmore has not been tagged, so it is likely he will be if they can't work out a deal. #1 corners who can play man or zone and force turnovers. They're perfect for any team lol. Humphrey and Tabor are similar players in the draft.

Based on all of that I'd try to sign either Hankins or Short in FA, and Eric Berry. Berry is the best free agent and most likely of all the top secondary players to be available. And Jonathan Allen is least likely to be available at our positions of need. Trade down a few spots and draft best player available (in a range where that player will be CB) and snag extra picks in the draft. Trade a 2nd and others for Garoppolo.

From there on draft OT, WR, TE, OLB, NT, CB, QB, in no particular order

QB: Garoppolo
FS: Berry
DE: Short/Hankins
CB: Tabor/Humphrey (1st round after trade down)

OT: Whitworth if we're lucky. Otherwise a solid veteran backup

For the rest just grab value guys in free agency and pick best player available in the draft.

Also cut Porter. The rookie and Fuller would be our starters. Porter has no role as a nickel who can't tackle and a starter who's too slow to keep up with guys on the outside.

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#247 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:10 pm

I think it's more likely that we have Cutler or Hoyer as the starter and draft a starting QB next year. If that's Pace's plan then he should trade for a future first instead of multiple picks in this year's draft after trading down. That way he can package two 1st rounders to trade upnif necessary.

But if he can work out a deal for Garoppolo then just trade for whatever the Patriots want when you trade down out of the #3 spot.

CjayC
RealGM

Post#248 » by CjayC » Fri Jan 6, 2017 6:51 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:

I could see that play for Berry, just don't want to get too far ahead with a superstar coming to the Bears, like Lakers & Knicks fans tend to do every offseason :D

That's definitely the move to make for Pace.

I watched some film on Adams and if we did get Berry, I think I'm favoring Adams over Peppers. Peppers close out is tops, but damn if Adams isn't close. He's everywhere on the field, and you don't have to hide him in coverage or make up positions & scheme to put him in places, which is my main concern about Peppers.

From what Pace made it sound like they aren't in a hurry to take a QB at #3 overall.

"I think when you're picking top five, you're looking for an impact guy. Now different positions will have different expectations, depending on who you're picking. The quarterback position is a position we talk a lot about. Sometimes playing a young QB right away isn't the best thing. So you just got to look at who it is and what position it is. I really think it has to align. I don't want to take a quarterback that we're not all on board for just because we got to take the position. It really has to align for you, and I think as you go deeper into the roster you'd realize 'Hey there's a lot of critical needs that we need to address in other areas.' So that's kind of what we're doing and I think there will be a point in time where quarterback is going to be addressed."

Garoppolo could definitely be in play. It works because Jimmy isn't stepping into a complete dumpster fire. Part of me believes Bill is gonna try and look out for him as best as he can(unless it's too good of an offer to refuse), and he'd be moved out of conference so no need to worry about him biting the Pats in the butt in the AFC. Conversely they could go with a patch job and get Romo. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but Romo just doesn't inspire me.
CjayC
RealGM

Post#249 » by CjayC » Fri Jan 6, 2017 8:01 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:Needs at starting positions: QB, CB, FS, DE

Depth needs: OT (could upgrade Leno but not priority), WR, QB, TE, CB, NT, OLB

The only people that I can see starting for us at QB next year are guys on the roster, Garoppolo or Cousins. I'd go for Garoppolo and trade 2nd round plus late round and maybe future late round swap or something. Otherwise just keep Cutler or Hoyer.

DE Allen is clearly the best player at a position of need for us available in the draft, but it's possible he won't be there at 3. Fingers crossed that qb and Myles Garrett go 1 and 2. But unlikely. Kawan Short and Jonathan Hankins are the free agent options.

Berry would be ideal for what we're missing at safety and would pair very well with Amos, who is a sure tackler and reliable but not a center fielder ballhawk. Hooker and Adams are similar to Berry and have that pro bowl potential.

Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore are perfect. Johnson has already been franchise tagged once so he may be available. Gilmore has not been tagged, so it is likely he will be if they can't work out a deal. #1 corners who can play man or zone and force turnovers. They're perfect for any team lol. Humphrey and Tabor are similar players in the draft.

Based on all of that I'd try to sign either Hankins or Short in FA, and Eric Berry. Berry is the best free agent and most likely of all the top secondary players to be available. And Jonathan Allen is least likely to be available at our positions of need. Trade down a few spots and draft best player available (in a range where that player will be CB) and snag extra picks in the draft. Trade a 2nd and others for Garoppolo.

From there on draft OT, WR, TE, OLB, NT, CB, QB, in no particular order

QB: Garoppolo
FS: Berry
DE: Short/Hankins
CB: Tabor/Humphrey (1st round after trade down)

OT: Whitworth if we're lucky. Otherwise a solid veteran backup

For the rest just grab value guys in free agency and pick best player available in the draft.

Also cut Porter. The rookie and Fuller would be our starters. Porter has no role as a nickel who can't tackle and a starter who's too slow to keep up with guys on the outside.

For the love of all that's holy no Cutty on the roster next year please. I think they actually save cap space by cutting him. I can't justify keeping this guy on the roster whatsoever. Would rather roll with Hoyer or even Barkley.

I think Whitworth stays. He's old, but you don't let out a top 5 LT walk. RT needs to be addressed before LT. Leno isn't special, but I don't need that when our interior O-line is one of the best in the league. Leno is a saint compared to what they've been trotting out there since John Tait.

If they can trade down and still get the guy they want, they should do it. I agree with the draft needs, except they should also be looking at a safety. Amos is better than the Major Wright's and Conte's of the world, but he doesn't push the needle in either direction. The rest of the safeties looked underwhelming and look to be depth/Special Teams guys at best. I'm on board for Garoppolo though I don't know about the price they're asking for.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#250 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Jan 6, 2017 9:32 pm

Cutler is gone I think the stopgap qb will be Hoyer if we cant grab Jimmy or Kurt . Dowell Loggains was Hoyers QB coach in Cleveland when he was there and it is no coincidence that Hoyer ended up here.

Also there is no way to justify keeping Cutler when the bears have had 3 different backup qbs come in and move the offense better than he has . McCown,Hoyer,Barkley have all came in and produced while jay most of the times have seemed disinterested or lost . At a certain point you have to acknowledge that Jay just doesnt have it and move on .
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#251 » by heir_jordan22 » Sat Jan 7, 2017 2:55 am

Yea you're right, Cutler is gone

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#252 » by heir_jordan22 » Sat Jan 7, 2017 2:56 am

I disagree about Amos. If he is next to a ballhawk them he can really thrive ad a guy who plate all over and has great closing speed on tackles while still reliable in coverage

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#253 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:55 pm

Let me play GM for a bit

PART ONE

FREE AGENCY/CUTS

QB: cut Cutler
Sign Hoyer
Sign Barkley or Ryan Mallett

RB/FB: no change

WR: sign Alshon Jeffery
Whatever we would save from cutting Royal, offer that to these TIER 2 free agents: Kenny Stills, Robert Woods and Adam Thielen. If any of them accept, then sign them and cut Royal ($5M).
Sign TIER 3 Cecil Shorts, Kendall Wright, Deonte Thompson, Markus Wheaton or Marquise Goodwin
Let walk: Bellamy, Wilson, Brown Addison

TE: elevate Davis and Braunecker
Let Paulsen walk

OT: if Whitworth wants to come for a decent deal, sign him
If Vollmer would sign for the same or less than what we would save by cutting Massie, sign him and cut Massie ($5.05M).
Otherwise no change.
Create rest of off-season plan assuming neither of these two moved will happen. This is a bonus.

G/C: no change

DE: sign Kawan Short. Priority. If Carolina uses franchise tag get Hankins Jonathan Hankins.
Sign Nick Fairley, Kendall Reyes, Cornelius Washington, Evander Hood, or Sylvester Williams

NT: no change

OLB: cut Lamarr Houston ($5M savings in 2017, $8M savings inb 2018)
Sign Erik Walden (unlikely), Alex Okafor, John Simon or Akeem Ayers

ILB: let Christian Jones walk

CB: cut Tracy Porter ($3.5M savings)
Re-sign Bryce Callahan, Demontre Hurst, Brandon Boykin and Jonathan Banks. Or let Fangio pick which we keep

FS: sign Eric Berry. Priority.

SS: move Amos to SS
Let Prosinski walk.

K: cut Barth
Sign Hauschka if he takes less than $3M/yr
Otherwise draft a K

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#254 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:12 pm

PART TWO

DRAFT DAY

Remaining needs:
Starters: QB, CB
Could use upgrades at starting positions: LT, RT
Backups: TE, NT
Depth: DE, WR, OLB
Note: reserve 7th rounder for K if Hauschka is not signed

Trade down to around 10. Accumulate extra 2nd, 4th, and future 1st. Trade 2nd, 4th and future 3rd for Garoppolo. These two trades are contingent upon each other. Get it done.

~10th pick: CB Tabor/Humphrey

Rest of the draft choose best player available. If multiple players have same or very similar rankings, then priority will be given to player who upgrades a starter, fills a backup need, then fills depth need.

Ideal order
2: LT
3: RT
4: TE
5: NT
6: DE
7: K

Signing Whitworth, Vollmer and Hauschka would allow us to go best player available without looking at need whatsoever in the draft after we take a CB in round one.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#255 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:35 pm

PART THREE

DEPTH CHART

QB: Garoppolo, Hoyer, Barkley, Fales, Shaw
Let coaching staff decide if Barkley, Fales or Shaw is #3

RB: Howard, Langford, Carey

FB: Lasike

TE: Miller, Braunecker, Davis, draft

WR: Jeffery, White, above TIER 2 FA
Backups: Meredith, above TIER 3 FA, Braverman

OL starters: Leno, Sitton, Whitehair, Long, Massie
Backups: Draft, Larsen, Grassu, Draft

DL starters: Short, Goldman, Hicks
Backups: above FA, Draft, Ferguson
Depth: Draft, Unrein, Sutton
Sutton/ Unrein will probably be cut by coaches

LB starters: Floyd, Trevathan, Freeman, McPhee
Backups: Young, Kwiatkowski, Timu, above FA
Depth: Roy R-H, Draft

CB: Tabor/Humphrey, Fuller
Callahan will probably be nickel.
Boykin, LeBlanc, Hurst, Banks and Hall will fight for dime spot and depth.

Safety: Berry and Amos
Backups: Bush, Harold J-Q, Deandre H-C

K: Hauschka or Draft
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales
PR/KR: TIER 3 FA WR and Langford

patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#256 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:54 am

Elvis Dummervile is expected to be cut. He has history with Fox. He'd be great as a rotational guy but who knows if he'd be willing to play that role.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#257 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:56 am

Calais Campbell might be someone we should go after as well. The cardinals are expected to offer chandler jones a historic deal so they might not want to give a lot of money to Campbell as well.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#258 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 am

I know we all want Eric Berry but that's pretty unrealistic. I think an easy pick up would be Tony Jefferson. We all wanted him pretty bad last season but he was restricted. This year he's unrestricted and he's probably going to get a lot of offers.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#259 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:03 am

heres a list of what I think our needs are going into the offseason in order of need
QB
DE
CB
S
LT
RT
BACK UP OLB
K
WR DEPTH
TE DEPTH

I think that most if not all should be be addressed before the draft since we have so much money to spend with a potential to add a lot more via cuts.

Here's who I'd like to see be added. My logic behind my choices is that the teams that they were on are willing to let them walk because of depth or money being spent on other players.

QB: addressed in 2018 unless we trade for someone

DE: Calais Campbell. Chandler jones will get super paid soon, so the cards probably won't be willing to pay a 30 something.

CB: Captain Munnerlyn. The Vikings have great CB depth so they most likely let Cap walk.

S: Eric Berry is clearly the top choice but idk how likely that is. The Chiefs didn't want to pay him last year so they tagged him but I'd guess aspired the season Berry has had p, everyone will be willing to break the bank. So if Berry isn't realistic I want Tony Jefferson. He can do everything at a high level.

LT: Whitworth is my top choice. Someone mentioned you don't let a top LT walk away but I don't think the Bengals will have a choice. I think there's a good chance he walks since the Bengals come up short all the time. If Pace can give a good pitch then. Think we can land him.

RT: Don Barclay. He's probably been the Packers best lineman that season and a top RTin the league. Strengthen a weakness for us and weaken a strength for them.

BACKUP OLB: Read a report that Elvis Dumervile will be cut. If true he'd be my top option assuming he's willing to play that role. If not I'd like Akeem Ayers

K: Phil Dawson. One of the most reliable kickers in the NFL and he'll probably leave SF for the right price.

BACKUP WR: Anquan Boldin. He adds consistency, reliability, sure hands great block, leadership, toughness, durability and so much more that we are missing at WR.

BACKUP TE: Dion Sims. He's been pretty good the past couple seasons. Can easily transition to starter once we let Miller walk
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#260 » by chitownsports4ever » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:52 am

Bears signed former Giant WR Reuben Randle to a low risk deal... Hes still only 25yrs old ?

The Chicago Bears signed former New York Giants wide receiver and second-round pick Rueben Randle to a reserve/futures contract on Tuesday, the team announced.

In 64 appearances (33 starts) for the Giants from 2012-15, Randle caught 188 passes for 2,644 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Randle signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles last March, but was released near the end of the preseason. Randle did not play for anyone in the 2016 regular season.

Return to Chicago Bears